Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

It may be time to rethink my flights for the Barcelona to Dubai cruise in November 2020.  Yesterday the FAA put new restrictions on airspace in the Gulf of Oman and other areas around the UAE which will affect the three major UAE airlines,  Qatar, Etihad and Emirates.  Here are a few excerpts from the article:

United Airlines has suspended one of its flights and other airlines are re-routing planes to avoid the Gulf of Oman after Iran downed an American drone operating in the area.
The skies above the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf are frequently traversed by commercial aircraft, and use of the airspace is especially heavy among aircraft bound for Doha, Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Airlines that operate flights in the region said Friday that they would adjust their operations.
Emirates, which operates out of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, said in a statement that it had "taken precautionary measures including rerouting all flights away from areas of possible conflict."

It remains to be seen how much the schedules and cost of flights from the UAE will be affected.  I had decided to use FF miles for my flight to Barcelona and back from Dubai in November 2020 but now I am wondering if it would be more sensible to let Regent do the booking.

I live in Tucson and flights from the western part of the USA to Barcelona require a change of planes except for one airline - Norwegian Air Shuttle which flies non-stop LAX to BCN.  Otherwise you must choose from flights that require a change in Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Madrid, Frankfurt or Amsterdam.  I was hoping to fly back from Doha on Qatar or from Abu Dhabi on Etihad but now I think it might be safer to stick with Dubai.  Except for the non-stop Emirates flight to LAX or SEA the best choice seems to be the one-stop options on Cathay Pacific which can be flown with a quick transfer in Hong Kong or you can opt for the longer layover which allows you to go to a hotel near the airport for a good night's sleep before continuing on to LAX.  This year the cost for Business Class on this Cathay route was just under $2000 which was a true bargain.

For anyone thinking of using Phoenix as a base for Europe the small bit of good news is that Condor now flies a couple of times a week non-stop to Frankfurt and onward.  We were able to get flights using AA FF miles flying to Amsterdam/Copenhagen next week for our Seabourn Norwegian Fjord cruise but there was nothing available on the return using FF miles so we have opted for Condor from Copenhagen to Frankfurt to Phoenix.  The Business Class seats are not quite fully flat for this daytime flight but there is plenty of leg room and the service and food are comparable with US airlines for a much smaller cash outlay - Configuration is 2 + 2 + 2 on a refurbished 767.  Condor is affiliated somehow with Luthansa so we can access the Lufthansa Business lounge in FRA and we will fly CPH to FRA in economy and then FRA to PHX in Business for a total of $1600.  This new service may be of some help to folks who live in or near the Phoenix area.

Since the similar Regent cruise this year on October 26 from Barcelona to Dubai might be affected by UAE flights I am monitoring that Roll Call to see what information becomes available.

Jay

10 hours ago, amusea said:

It may be time to rethink my flights for the Barcelona to Dubai cruise in November 2020.  Yesterday the FAA put new restrictions on airspace in the Gulf of Oman and other areas around the UAE  which will affect the three major UAE airlines,  Qatar, Etihad and Emirates.  Here are a few excerpts from the article:

United Airlines has suspended one of its flights and other airlines are re-routing planes to avoid the Gulf of Oman after Iran downed an American drone operating in the area.
The skies above the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf are frequently traversed by commercial aircraft, and use of the airspace is especially heavy among aircraft bound for Doha, Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Airlines that operate flights in the region said Friday that they would adjust their operations.
Emirates, which operates out of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, said in a statement that it had "taken precautionary measures including rerouting all flights away from areas of possible conflict."

Incorrect. 

The FAA put a restriction on USA carriers.  They did not have that kind of jurisdiction over EK, EY and QR.  Nor any other non-USA airline.

I live in Tucson and flights from the western part of the USA to Barcelona require a change of planes except for one airline - Norwegian Air Shuttle which flies non-stop LAX to BCN.  Otherwise you must choose from flights that require a change in Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Madrid, Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

You first neglect that Norwegian also operates OAK-BCN, so there is other service than just LAX.

Next, there is non-stop service from SFO to BCN on Level.

Also, you can get non-stop flights into BCN with North American connections a MEX, YYZ, YUL, MIA, JFK, ATL, IAD, EWR, ORD, and FLL  (albeit that some are seasonal).  So you are not limited to LHR, CDG, MAD, FRA or AMS.  For that matter, you could connect in Rome, Helsinki, Dublin, Casablanca, Zurich, Munich, Istanbul or even....Doha, Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

I was hoping to fly back from Doha on Qatar or from Abu Dhabi on Etihad but now I think it might be safer to stick with Dubai.

You do realize that there is no direct air service from the UAE to Qatar, so a flight into Doha would require a connection in Oman or elsewhere.  As for "safer" on EK, it's only a 1:20 drive to AUH where you'd take Etihad.  It's sorta like saying Newark is safer than JFK.

Except for the non-stop Emirates flight to LAX or SEA the best choice seems to be the one-stop options on Cathay Pacific which can be flown with a quick transfer in Hong Kong or you can opt for the longer layover which allows you to go to a hotel near the airport for a good night's sleep before continuing on to LAX.  This year the cost for Business Class on this Cathay route was just under $2000 which was a true bargain.

Just so you are aware, flying CX adds an addition 30% to the distance you'll fly from DXB to LAX.  And as mentioned above, you have many connection options to get home.  As for the cost,  CX looks to be one of the lower cost options.

Plus, you missed the EK flights from DXB into SFO, DFW and IAH - all of which are closer than SEA.

Finally, remember that no USA carrier serves Dubai - but you do have a non-stop on Air Canada to Toronto, with easy connects into many USA cities.

It may be time to rethink my flights for the Barcelona to Dubai cruise in November 2020.  Yesterday the FAA put new restrictions on airspace in the Gulf of Oman and other areas around the UAE which will affect the three major UAE airlines,  Qatar, Etihad and Emirates.  Here are a few excerpts from the article:

It remains to be seen how much the schedules and cost of flights from the UAE will be affected.  I had decided to use FF miles for my flight to Barcelona and back from Dubai in November 2020 but now I am wondering if it would be more sensible to let Regent do the booking.

I live in Tucson and flights from the western part of the USA to Barcelona require a change of planes except for one airline - Norwegian Air Shuttle which flies non-stop LAX to BCN.  Otherwise you must choose from flights that require a change in Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Madrid, Frankfurt or Amsterdam.  I was hoping to fly back from Doha on Qatar or from Abu Dhabi on Etihad but now I think it might be safer to stick with Dubai.  Except for the non-stop Emirates flight to LAX or SEA the best choice seems to be the one-stop options on Cathay Pacific which can be flown with a quick transfer in Hong Kong or you can opt for the longer layover which allows you to go to a hotel near the airport for a good night's sleep before continuing on to LAX.  This year the cost for Business Class on this Cathay route was just under $2000 which was a true bargain.

For anyone thinking of using Phoenix as a base for Europe the small bit of good news is that Condor now flies a couple of times a week non-stop to Frankfurt and onward.  We were able to get flights using AA FF miles flying to Amsterdam/Copenhagen next week for our Seabourn Norwegian Fjord cruise but there was nothing available on the return using FF miles so we have opted for Condor from Copenhagen to Frankfurt to Phoenix.  The Business Class seats are not quite fully flat for this daytime flight but there is plenty of leg room and the service and food are comparable with US airlines for a much smaller cash outlay - Configuration is 2 + 2 + 2 on a refurbished 767.  Condor is affiliated somehow with Luthansa so we can access the Lufthansa Business lounge in FRA and we will fly CPH to FRA in economy and then FRA to PHX in Business for a total of $1600.  This new service may be of some help to folks who live in or near the Phoenix area.

Since the similar Regent cruise this year on October 26 from Barcelona to Dubai might be affected by UAE flights I am monitoring that Roll Call to see what information becomes available.

Jay

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Flyertalker - cannot believe the coincidence.  I was just looking at Emirates for flights from Dubai next year.  I took a break and saw your post.  Unfortunately, Emirates does not fly to Vancouver but does have a non-stop flight to San Francisco (on an A380).  We are anxious to finally try this airline (but will have to pay a premium to Regent).

When i was deviating flights for our BCN to DXB cruise this fall i was told Emirates would cost an extra $1500 per person. Friends of ours were waitlisted for this cruise and was able to clear the waitlist and get on the cruise just at final payment. They were offered DXB to SEA on Emirates then onto Edmonton with Alaska as their included business class flights for no extra charge.  I was happy for them but miffed that we couldn't get that routing without an extra charge. Wanted to try Emirates. We are on BA through LHR, both flights on a 747. Snagged upstairs seats so not unhappy about that. 

I can't wait for this cruise. It is a repeat of many ports for us but am so looking forward to visiting these places again. 

Perhaps I have not made clear the premise of my post which was that it could become more difficult to find flights with FF miles to Barcelona and returning from UAE using LAX as a base because of the unsettled situation in the Middle East.  I use LAX as my frame of reference because it is the closest international airport to TUS and it is by far the airport with which I have the most experience.  I was basically trying to keep readers informed of what could become a major problem by the time November 2020 arrives.

Since I travel for much of the year I realize how many other options are available as transfer points in Europe but when searching for flights using miles many of the ones you mention are rarely if ever available using One World or Star Alliance which have the most reasonable mileage awards as opposed to the Delta alliance.  And flights using miles are becoming harder to book simply because the miles seem to be continually devalued.  But my experience has been that the airports in Europe that I mentioned have turned out to be  the most likely candidates from LAX.  The one exception that I failed to mention might be Zurich which I used to fly on SWISS from LAX to South Africa using miles in Business through Zurich outbound and through Heathrow returning in First Class a few years ago.  

I was hoping to return from Doha using AA miles in Business on Qatar/BA  which has been available with miles for many months as long as you are not exact about the date of departure.  But what I was saying was that if the political situation in UAE continues to worsen,  Dubai has a much  safer and better selection of flights than Doha or Abu Dhabi and thus I would not risk using the other two airports - especially Abu Dhabi since Etihad has such a  precarious financial condition at present and the choice of flights is minimal.  Remember that we are talking about flights that are still a year and a half away.

Of course I had investigated the flights to Doha from Dubai through either Oman or Kuwait which has been brought on by the feud with Qatar.  It is an inconvenience but I think it is worth the cost and trouble once you have traveled that far.

If you do not use the non-stop option from Dubai to LAX on Emirates which takes about 16 hours

the other airlines that require a transfer tend to take 20 hours or more total flight time.  Then I still like the CX option since I have found that airline to be quite dependable as well as very comfortable and the choice of layover times in HKG is a plus.

The reason for this post was first and foremost to mention the situation in the Middle East that could  create continual changes in the flight schedules.  If there are no good flights available using FF miles next February when the decision will be made about using the Regent air or making my own flight arrangements, I will opt for the Regent deviated formula.  I would not purchase non-refundable tickets from the UAE  because there is always the possibility that the itinerary for the cruise in November 2020 would have to be changed if sailing to that area of the world becomes more dangerous.

In conclusion, I would ask that you please do not use large bold print in your responses because it is interpreted as shouting and I find that very disrepectful.  Perhaps my age (81) has made me less tolerant of other opinions but I hope not.  I respect your opinions and I hope that you will respect mine.  Thank you.

Agree that using all caps is shouting.  However, must say that using FF miles for flights is not something that we typically discuss on this thread.  Mostly we are discussing "deviation" (aka Custom Air).  While some airlines will allow people that book Regent coach (for domestic flights), will permit you to use FF miles, this has nothing to do with Regent but is between the person and the airline.  

We are probably on the same cruise that you are booked on (November, 2020 - Barcelona to Dubai).  Hopefully the current issues will be solved by then.  If not, our cruise may be dramatically changed.  

At first we wanted to fly Emirates but learned that, in addition to paying a deviation fee, you also have to pay an steep extra fee (if you live on the west coast).

So, when we look at flights, we look at them separately.  We know that it is easy to find flights to Barcelona (even though we live in Washington state, the closest airport is Vancouver).  The difficulty was finding flights home from Dubai.  Yesterday, using a fictitious date (December of this year), we found a good flight on Lufthansa that we know that Regent will approve.  

Also want to mention that 81 is not that old.  My DH is older than you while I am younger.  In my opinion, we are all more sensitive to "shouting", etc.  Hope that you understand that this post is simply my opinion based on our many Regent cruises.

Have you signed up on Roll Call yet?  We have done an almost identical cruise on Regent a few years ago and liked it so much that we are repeating it!

Travel Cat,

Thanks so much.  Your post was very much appreciated.  In my original post I had quoted excerpts about the FAA ruling regarding the new restriction of air space which I read online and which was also in this Weekend's Wall Street Journal.  These were not my words but the response here seemed to indicate that I was expressing my opinion and that it was not correct, even though. according to the articles, Emirates was changing some of their flight planning because of the FAA ruling.    Obviously the media is not always accurate but I felt this information was important to consider.

When the 270 day mark arrives I have to decide if I want to accept the $3500 offer for making my own air arrangements. Since I want to spend time in the UAE after debarkation it will involve "customizing" if I decide to use Regent.  I have done quite a few dummy bookings and I know, as of this date there is availability for Nov and Dec 2019 but of course that does not give any real indication of what will be available next year.  I will not pay the high extra fee for the Emirates non-stop.  I would really like to try 

Qatar which is so highly rated but I am not sure if Regent ever uses that airline.  Am I correct that flights on the return almost always start from Dubai?

Yes, we are booked on the November 2020 Dubai cruise which I booked when on the Voyager last December.  The fact that the 2019 Dubai cruise was sold out told me that it was not prudent to wait and 

I am glad that I booked when I did.  Since you have used Regent customization before, may I ask you two questions? First, can you book customization one way and get a $1750. refund for the other way?   And, there seems to be a continual conflict of information about the cost.  Is it $175. pp round trip or $350. round trip?

Again, thanks for your kind response.

Jay

Have a couple of air questions. This is our first Regent cruise so we are covering new ground for us. 

Our cruise isn’t until 11/2020. It’s from Miami. 

Presently we have selected 1) included Regent Air from DFW and 2) included pre-embarkation hotel night in Miami. 

What’s the formula for determining the credit we would receive if we opt to cancel the Regent Air and book our own?

When are we able to cancel Regent Air and book our own? Before 270 days? After 270 days?

if we cancel Regent Air do we lose the pre/embark hotel night? 

Is there a separate credit for canceling the hotel and booking our own?

Thanks!!

45 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Have a couple of air questions. This is our first Regent cruise so we are covering new ground for us. 

Presently we have selected 1) included Regent Air from DFW and 2) included pre-embarkation hotel night in Miami. 

What’s the formula for determining the credit we would receive if we opt to cancel the Regent Air and book our own?

When are we able to cancel Regent Air and book our own? Before 270 days? After 270 days?

Thanks!!

Your Air credit would be $300 pp and hotel $125 total.  Assume you are Concierge or above as that includes the hotel plus you get to arrive a day early without paying the $175 pp deviation.  You can keep the hotel and do your own air but, believe you lose the hotel transfer from the airport but, not expensive for a taxi or Uber in Miami.

Strongly recommend coming in a day early to avoid travel issues  so with that said, the hotel credit minus the 350 deviation charge is a no go.  So suggest you keep the hotel and get your own air or keep both.  Your TA can get you all this info or if no TA need to get one and just phone Regent yourself.  You can opt out at anytime before your air is booked about 75 days prior to your cruise

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

Thanks!!

The air credit is shown at the bottom of the price list in the brochure or on the Regent website. 11/2020 cruises departing Miami show either $300 or $1000 air credits depending which cruise you are on. 

I believe eve you can claim the air credit any time before Regent books your air. 

There is a separate credit available if you choose to book your own hotel. 

Travel Cat,

Thanks so much.  Your post was very much appreciated.  In my original post I had quoted excerpts about the FAA ruling regarding the new restriction of air space which I read online and which was also in this Weekend's Wall Street Journal.  These were not my words but the response here seemed to indicate that I was expressing my opinion and that it was not correct, even though. according to the articles, Emirates was changing some of their flight planning because of the FAA ruling.    Obviously the media is not always accurate but I felt this information was important to consider.

When the 270 day mark arrives I have to decide if I want to accept the $3500 offer for making my own air arrangements. Since I want to spend time in the UAE after debarkation it will involve "customizing" if I decide to use Regent.  I have done quite a few dummy bookings and I know, as of this date there is availability for Nov and Dec 2019 but of course that does not give any real indication of what will be available next year.  I will not pay the high extra fee for the Emirates non-stop.  I would really like to try 

Qatar which is so highly rated but I am not sure if Regent ever uses that airline.  Am I correct that flights on the return almost always start from Dubai?

Yes, we are booked on the November 2020 Dubai cruise which I booked when on the Voyager last December.  The fact that the 2019 Dubai cruise was sold out told me that it was not prudent to wait and 

I am glad that I booked when I did.  Since you have used Regent customization before, may I ask you two questions? First, can you book customization one way and get a $1750. refund for the other way?   And, there seems to be a continual conflict of information about the cost.  Is it $175. pp round trip or $350. round trip?

Again, thanks for your kind response.

Jay

Customization or deviation is $175 per person per request to deviate/customize no matter if it is for one way or both ways.  Should you want to change either or both ways after the first change, it is another $175 pp for one way or round trip.  And yes, you can go one way with Regent either their flights or customization and get the credit for the other way and book yourself.

By the way, not always 1/2 the credit for one way.  For instance doing a Trans Atlantic the credit will be much less for the domestic flight in the US than the return from Europe.  Hope these answer help.

Thanks Rally Dave. 

I think I've got it!   We would be submitting our list for flights starting and ending in LAX even though we live in Tucson since any flight from Tucson requires a transfer within the USA which I will try to avoid.  Flights from Tucson to LAX are of short duration and not expensive so I would book those separately.  The only hitch is that the return ticket would not be on a single PNR from Dubai to Tucson via LAX and we would have to wait until we reached LAX to book our flight back to Tucson since one cannot depend on a specific arrival time in LAX.

I was almost sure that the cruise consultant on the Voyager told me that you had to deviate both ways and that you could not split and just use Regent one way.  I think you are correct about that not being the case.  I will certainly pose the question again before I submit a list.

Jay

45 minutes ago, amusea said:

Thanks Rally Dave. 

I think I've got it!   We would be submitting our list for flights starting and ending in LAX even though we live in Tucson since any flight from Tucson requires a transfer within the USA which I will try to avoid.  Flights from Tucson to LAX are of short duration and not expensive so I would book those separately.  The only hitch is that the return ticket would not be on a single PNR from Dubai to Tucson via LAX and we would have to wait until we reached LAX to book our flight back to Tucson since one cannot depend on a specific arrival time in LAX.

I was almost sure that the cruise consultant on the Voyager told me that you had to deviate both ways and that you could not split and just use Regent one way.  I think you are correct about that not being the case.  I will certainly pose the question again before I submit a list.

Jay

Jay,
We also are from the Tucson area and have spent hours researching flights to Barcelona.  We have a cruise to Barcelona coming up in November and working with Regent have booked a one-way from PHX to LHR to BCN.  
We disembark in MIA and have arranged our own flights back to Tucson by doing the Multi-flight option with AA.  I booked AA from TUS to PHX where we pick up our BA flight to LHR & BCN.  The second part of the Multi-flight on AA is MIA to DFW to TUS.  
Just a thought.

Az2sea,

Thanks for that information.  It is strange that there is only one non-stop flight from LAX to BCN and that is on Norwegian Air Shuttle.  We have used that airline once in their premium class and it was OK for a flight from Stockholm to Los Angeles but that was a daytime flight.  I really do not want to use them for an overnight going eastbound because it is not a flatbed.

Your Regent routing confirms my suspicions which is that the most obvious choice of routes is using the PHX-LHR route on BA and probably in an old 747.  We have done that several times in Business but BA business class is so outdated and uncomfortable and if I have one airport I try to avoid in Europe it is Heathrow.  Standing in line for the XRay machine and the complete searching of luggage was not a happy experience, nor was their lounge.  Perhaps you will have a better experience than we have had in our few times using that route.  I understand that BA's cuisine has been drastically improved.  Although I will say that one time returning to PHX from LHR we had booked upstairs on the 747 to PHX and for some reason they wanted our seats so they bumped us to first class and that was a whole different kettle of fish.

Did you deviate/customize and choose that route or was it the itinerary that Regent gave to you without the deviation?  I am assuming that because the cruise is still five months away that you gave Regent that routing as a deviation.

Since the flight to LAX is only an hour we will probably request SWISS via Zurich to BCN or AIR FRANCE via CDG (as long as it is on the 777 since the A380 does not have flat beds).  I have always wondered why AA doesn't open up ORD/MAD/BCN or ORD/BCN which is a much nicer route.

Anyhow, the return is what it is so the MIA/DFW/TUS is as good as it gets.  It's a little nicer if the MIA to DFW is operated by one of two 767s from South America that is being shuttled back from MIA to DFW.  They have about two 767s per day that have international flat bed business class in the front of the plane which makes the first leg to DFW actually pleasant.

Enjoy your trans-Atlantic cruise.  We love the sea days and that is always such a wonderful experience and of course Regent makes the whole affair fantastic.

Jay in NW Tucson (near Ina and LaCholla)

47 minutes ago, az2sea said:

I booked AA from TUS to PHX where we pick up our BA flight to LHR & BCN. 

I hope that you are aware that you have ZERO protection for your PHX-LHR flight in the event that you are delayed flying in from TUS.  Since they are on two separate tickets, AA has no responsibility.  It's as if you were just a simple no-show at PHX.

8 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I hope that you are aware that you have ZERO protection for your PHX-LHR flight in the event that you are delayed flying in from TUS.  Since they are on two separate tickets, AA has no responsibility.  It's as if you were just a simple no-show at PHX.

Took that into consideration.  There are multiple flights out of TUS to PHX after our flight, we selected a flight with a long layover in PHX to protect ourselves.  If our flight is canceled we have several other flights they can put us on but if they can't do than we are only a 2 hour drive to the PHX airport.  Thanks for the concern.

"Your Regent routing confirms my suspicions which is that the most obvious choice of routes is using the PHX-LHR route on BA and probably in an old 747."

Jay,

BA was not my first choice,  but all my choices were rejected by Regent.  I was pretty much left with just BA, their choice.  

When I booked BA it was flying the old 747 but I found out this week that the plane has been changed to a 787-9.  Just finish selecting new seats for the flight.  It is still the terrible business class layout but at least the plane is newer.

The only thing I'm worried about is an on time flight, I only have 1.5 hour connection time.  Think it will be pushing it but fortunately there are 2 flights after ours, just in case.

That's great that BA has upgraded the equipment to a 787 and it is the newer 900 series.  I will have to store that info away in my memory bank in case my other requests are not available.  May I ask you if the flight from LHR to BCN is also BA?  Transferring terminals in LHR is always a mess.

Jay

Gosh, what happened to this thread in the last two days?  It has become quite convoluted.  As mentioned previously, FlyerTalker and I regularly sail on Regent and both of us try to stay up to date on how things work.  Please do not get upset when FlyerTalker tries to emphasize points by capitalizing them (I understand how off-putting it can be when it appears that someone is shouting).  In this case, in order to get correct information across to posters, he is using capitals for emphasis (IMHO, as I am guessing what is going on).  I any case, his information is accurate and valuable.

Jay, I agree with you 100% about Frankfurt - it is difficult at best.  If you fly to LHR on BA you can continue on to Barcelona on the same airline.  The planes are not quite as comfortable as on international flights but you will still be in Business Class.  Despite the long walk, etc. we are planning to book Lufthansa from Dubai to YVR to get home (unless we do not have to pay for Emirates which is unknown at this point).  BTW, the upstairs on the old 747's are quite nice but likely not as good as your First Class Flights.

I am watching the news to see what happens with flight diversions.  Should there be issues next year, it would be important to book with Regent as they will insure that we have the flight that we need from Dubai (Barcelona is not really an issue so book your own flights if you wish).

There were so many posts that I have likely missed something.  Will try to more attention to this thread in the future!

Edited to say that you would receive $2,500/person if you deviate your flights one way (for international Business Class - it is less if you are doing Coach).  Also, we can deviate (or, using the new term, book Custom Air) on February 10, 2020.

Edited by Travelcat2

TravelCat2

Unfortunately many European airports including the big ones like FRA still use bus/tarmac/stairs rather than jetways for some of their flights which is a problem for me because I don't check bags - just a rollaboard and a backpack.  Those stairs can be intimidating.  And I agree that if the Middle East situation worsens as it continually threatens to do, booking with Regent would be the sensible thing to do in Feb. - at least the return flight from Dubai.  I think flying Eastbound to BCN or another airport in Europe might still worth considering doing on our own since we have convinced good friends from Berlin to book our cruise and we will be meeting them in Europe several days in advance of the sailing date.

Jay

amusea, when deciding whether to book with Regent or not, I believe the $3500 air credit will be apportioned as follows: $1250 for the LAX-BCN leg and $2250 for the DXB-LAX leg.  Hope this helps.

Dave

14 hours ago, DaveFr said:

amusea, when deciding whether to book with Regent or not, I believe the $3500 air credit will be apportioned as follows: $1250 for the LAX-BCN leg and $2250 for the DXB-LAX leg.  Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi Dave - so glad that you picked up my error on the air credit.  I was looking at the Barcelona to Singapore itinerary!

I previously  posted:

After reading through many of these comments, questions and answers, I feel like a cruise rookie even though we been on over a dozen cruises.  We and another couple are going on Regent’s March 2020 cruise from Tokyo to Bangkok. It will be our second cruise on Regent.   On our previous cruise we signed up about 60 days before the cruise so we didn’t really have the “Custom Air” option.   We have just pasted the 270 day mark so we are in the Custom Air window.  There is currently a lot of discussion among the four travelers regarding paying the $175/per person fee for Custom Air.  

Our departure city will be Detroit, a Delta hub.   Delta has a nice direct non stop flight to Tokyo.  Also Delta, partnering with Korean Air, has a one stop (Seoul) return from Bangkok to Detroit.   Some in the group believe Regent being a  “high quality, first class, luxury cruise line” will most certainly book us on these “obviously” convenient flights.   We wouldn’t know until 75 days before the cruise! 

So far Regent hasn’t given us a clue. 

Any thoughts or comments? 

New update and Post;

Regent has  told us that Delta was not discounting either non stop flights and likely will not, and therefore those flights were not available to us.  We decided to take Regent’s offer of a one stop from Detroit, in Seattle, in route to Tokyo.  On the return from Bangkok,  to Seoul, then to Atlanta and finally back to Detroit.   All flights are Delta “flights”, but two are operated by Korean Air, a Delta partner.  We can access and change seats on all the five flights. All are Business or First Class and  five different types of planes:  757, A330, A380, 747 and A321.   Glad that’s done!