Is Celebrity actually trying to run off us its loyal customers?

wvufan

Little things are adding up.

The much publicized (and criticized) music type and volume. The consequent change in ambience. Ships with bells and whistles which cater to a younger crowd. Drink package promotions. These and other changes seem to be targeting a younger population.

I suspect that Miami knows they are alientating their traditional bread and butter, and that they are doing it deliberately. Perhaps the bean counters have thoroughly analyzed spending patterns and determined they just aren't making enough money off us oldies. They might be right.

We have 25 credits and more cruises booked. You would think that would make them happy. But, there are a lot of factors that suggest otherwise. First, we are Elite which means we are entitled to expensive perks. As seasoned cruisers, we are familiar with most of our destinations and are more likely to book non ship excursions. We don't stay up as late [spending money]. We are more likely to use TAs, thus reducing their profit. And so on.

I believe Celebrity is knowingly attempting to reinvent itself and have calculated that they will be better off with a new demographic even if it means losing some of their faithful.

Maybe they are not trying to run us off, but it sure seems they will be happy to see us go. I have always described Celebrity as a perfect fit for us, but it may soon be time for some alterations.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

We are not yet Elite and I am thinking we are unlikely ever to be so now :(.

I must admit though that the "perks" of Elite membership are probably not in Celebrity's bests interests long term.

I must admit that three "free" drinks a day per person along with other benefits does seem quite generous given that it is quite easy to reach Elite status and, I understand, diamond members from Royal Carribean :confused:, can also get the goodies.

We are quite big drinkers but if we were more moderate in our habits three drinks might well be enough for us.

Having said all of this I wonder if there are enough well heeled younger people to fill these enormous ships.

I think that they are trying to drive away the long time cruisers as there are now too many Elite members on board.

The other is many of the older passengers don't or can't drink and they are losing revenue in the beverage department.

The older passengers also don't take tours anymore as they have been on most of them. Again loss of revenue.

They are far removed from buying the portraits, items in the shops and duty free liquor.

They are attracting the younger crowd with the 123 package, getting them hooked and then will raise the price, a bait and switch technique.

It is also cheaper to have a few DJs on board than to is to carry live bands.

I really don't mind many of the younger as they don't bring their bratty grand kids with them, :D and they look better around the pool. :rolleyes:

Less wear and tear on the elevators as the younger will use the stairs.

Won't have to prepare as many special needs meals.

Can get by with more hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, and pizza instead of steak and lobster.

Maybe they are not trying to run us off, but it sure seems they will be happy to see us go. I have always described Celebrity as a perfect fit for us, but it may soon be time for some alterations.

I was going to say that we are in the same boat so to speak, but I should say we now boatless. We have 100 days booked from October to February but we will soon cancel all our bookings to make room for the people who are actually looking forward to the changes. As someone once noted ;) "We're just not feeling the love" and it's time to move on.

We'll have to carefully monitor things over the next three months when final payment is due on our December cruise. We've loved our last two X cruises but we go because we need the relaxation and sophisticated atmosphere as opposed to the Carnival errs(SIC).

I'm 60...PIC is 57...we don't drink...bought enough pics two cruises ago...those are why they don't want us. We do a couple tours each cruise and were actually thinking about more.

New Celebrity chieftain sux!

I was going to say that we are in the same boat so to speak, but I should say we now boatless. We have 100 days booked from October to February but we will soon cancel all our bookings to make room for the people who are actually looking forward to the changes. As someone once noted ;) "We're just not feeling the love" and it's time to move on.

Are you going to another line(s) , taking land vacations or simply staying home?

Thanks,

M.

My DH and I also feel the same way as the OP.

We also keep getting tons and tons of promotional material from Princess. Maybe it's time for a change. I'm not sure.

I really wish we could afford to cruise the Crystal or Regent. They are just to expensive for us.

We do not really care for the S Class ships and are not that crazy about the Solticization of the M Class ships. We would never book Aqua Class as we don't want to dine in Blu and it's really not "our thing."

Back in 2002 when we first starting sailing Celebrity we thought it was pretty near perfect and that's without any "perks." Now even the perks might not be enough to keep us coming back.

It is really interesting to see the different prospectives. We just did Carnival in Jan and I can say our recent 14 days on the Eclipse (April 6) was much more high class and sophisticated. There is really no comparison, a completely different experience and Celebrity is superior in every way.

As for the music, we took our friends on their first cruise and at the pool deck I spent most of the cruise explaining to them how on other lines there is actually music at the pool most of the time. Other than Zumba and when they had live bands we didn't hear any music at all at the pool and we spent a ton of time out in the sun. Yes, the Martini bar was loud but the Ensemble Lounge was quieter sometimes or had live music. Micheal's club was also very quiet most of the time. I think you just need to pick your venue. If you don't want loud music, don't go to the Martini bar.

I highly doubt that Celebrity is purposely trying to chase away people (seems like a bad business plan), but they may be trying to broaden their clientele to attract some younger people just starting their cruising lives! They have to balance the requests from some of their customers for more music and different types against those of other customers who don't like it. Difficult situation.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm 34, my husband is 47 and we cruised with our friends who are 41 and 50.

Also, as an FYI, I almost never buy anything on the ship and we never take ship tours (I have also found better value doing tours independently) - so I don't think that is an age thing.

We loved our cruise on the Eclipse and have changed most of our future cruises to Celebrity now. (we would have changed them all except the NCL one is a reunion with some great friends)

Sue

My spouse and I are in our sixties. We are experienced cruisers, but we only took our first cruise with Celebrity last spring, on the Eclipse. We loved the trip, we loved the ship, we loved the food, and we loved the Celebrity experience. We have two more cruises booked now on X (one thanks to the 123Go promo -- beverage package!) and if we weren't still working, we'd have more.

I guess we are the "younger" crowd that Celebrity is looking for! :)

I sailed Princes( twice), Celebrity, and Norwegian this year. There's loyal Princess customers upset about the quality of their experience going down, as well. Princess is getting the younger cruisers, as well. After my Century Cruise, a few changes and a few young people would breathe some life into this cruise line. The grass is not always greener on another ship. I will continue to enjoy Celebrity and Princess depending on the itinerary and the price point. I've invested more money in my Celebrity Cruises than the Princess cruises. I tend to book Princess last minute and Celebrity in a year or two out to get the cabins that I like.

think you just need to pick your venue. If you don't want loud music' date=' don't go to the Martini bar.

Sue[/quote']

See that's one of the problems we have. We loved the M Class ship martini bars. When we first cruise on Millennium in 2002 it was my favorite place, now they have ruined it.

We loved sitting in the martini bar having our martinis and looking down the hole to the Rendezvous Lounge watching people dance, etc.

Michael's Club seems to be too quiet.

Really sad Celebrity ruined my favorite thing.

We sailed with Celebrity on a couple of cruises in the early 90's and then drifted away to try other lines...I'm really not sure why. Last December we cruised on the Solstice in OZ/NZ and enjoyed everything, every day...we're back! At least I "think" we're back! We're now a cruise away from Elite and are booked on the Silhouette for the Adriatic Oct. 2013. I had hoped/planned to book another Celebrity cruise in the Mediterranean or South America in 2014, but the price increases are making me re-think plans. No deals for 2014...only increases!!

The deals now offered and arriving daily in my emails for 2013 are enough to make my head spin! We booked early and received a good price for Concierge Class, so we haven't been able to take advantage of the latest 123 offerings. It would be a wash by the time we cancelled and re-booked. Concerned about the prices for airfare I booked this early too, directly with the airline..at that time Choice Air was significantly more expensive for our flights. Now they're guaranteeing to match other advertised pricing...too late for us...maybe next time! We seem to have booked our upcoming cruise right on the brink of all of Celebrity's changes and "deals" and haven't been able to take advantage of any. This doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy!!

It appears that Celebrity is having difficulty filling their ships for the 2013 season, especially to Europe. Their "Elite" passengers are obviously not filling the ships.:eek: Maybe it is time to market to a younger demographic. We were once that demographic and mixed well with all ages on the ships we've cruised. Now that we're older (young 60's :D), I like having younger passengers on board. It's often a breath of fresh air...different expectations and not so many complaints!;)

And now my "complaint". I wish that Celebrity offered their reduced pricing and 123 packages early to those that plan and book in advance...there is no longer incentive to plan and book a year or more before we cruise! Do I hold off for a Celebrity deal in 2014 or do I book with Azamara or Oceania or ????

~~Judy

I agree with the above posts. Celebrity used to have a large variety of great live music on board by very talented musicians and the recorded music they played appealed to us (we're in the latter half of our 50's now and started with Celebrity nearly 10 years ago). These days it seems like most of the music is either repetitive techno music or music appealing to a much older age group than us with not enough quality music in between.

....As for the music, we took our friends on their first cruise and at the pool deck I spent most of the cruise explaining to them how on other lines there is actually music at the pool most of the time. ...

When we first started cruising Celebrity they'd have two or three sets of live music by the pool every sea day afternoon and at least a late afternoon set on most port days. They'd also have really nice rock/pop/island recorded music in between the live music sets. The live music on Caribbean cruises was performed by great island bands that played a real nice selection of both island music and more popular adult rock and soft rock music.

It's been years since they had the great bands they once had and the bands they have these days are less polished and try to play too much variety targeted at every different group on board with the result that they seldom do it well.

They also have music by the pool less and less frequently.

Are you going to another line(s) , taking land vacations or simply staying home?

Thanks,

M.

We actually enjoyed our recent Oasis experience more than Reflection. There were so many more alternatives to satisfy people with different tastes and preferences. We will look at HAL for their dance cruises (Dancing with the Stars) in January and we will find a place that will keep us warm without forcing someone else's musical tastes/volume as if one size fits all. On one Reflection cruise, the DJ's offerings of Hip Hop music from the foyer intended for the boarding passenger, overlapped the music in Bistro on Five for a very unpleasant lunchtime meal.

My DW has also found a wonderful series of projects to improve our home.... projects I could forget about while cruising in our Celebrity Condo.;)

From a marketing point of view ( all business must have a great marketing plan to support that 5 year business plan that is so essential to future success of any company) .That being said here is my take :

. Celebrity does not want to discourage long time cruisers of their line ;)

.What they do want & need are younger people ( 1st ,2nd time cruisers ie ) to get their top & bottom line s growing:) .The perks that we Elite's get is not really a issue in the scheme of things .If it were they would discontinue or get Elite + liking to Diamond & Diamond + on RCCL sailings.

.We enjoy Celebrity & those changers are not huge .We can live around them .However,we also keep tabs on Holland & Princess as to their offerings. One can never know for sure these days.:eek:

The much publicized (and criticized) music type and volume. The consequent change in ambience. Ships with bells and whistles which cater to a younger crowd. Drink package promotions. These and other changes seem to be targeting a younger population.

I suspect that Miami knows they are alientating their traditional bread and butter, and that they are doing it deliberately. Perhaps the bean counters have thoroughly analyzed spending patterns and determined they just aren't making enough money off us oldies. They might be right.

We have 25 credits and more cruises booked. You would think that would make them happy. But, there are a lot of factors that suggest otherwise. First, we are Elite which means we are entitled to expensive perks. As seasoned cruisers, we are familiar with most of our destinations and are more likely to book non ship excursions. We don't stay up as late [spending money]. We are more likely to use TAs, thus reducing their profit. And so on.

I believe Celebrity is knowingly attempting to reinvent itself and have calculated that they will be better off with a new demographic even if it means losing some of their faithful.

Happy Sails to You

We have cruised on Infinity, Constellation and Solstice and have 2 B2B starting in 6 days. We will be elite after the B2B.

We have not experienced a huge problem with loud music on X. On Solstice in the afternoon there would frequently be music, usually live, but we did not hear the music in our hump veranda cabin. I suppose if you were in a card room and didn't like the music, you might be offended, but we noticed people in the card room reading with the music indicating not a problem.

We have noticed on occasion piped music that was a bit loud, depending on the location, like one of the bars. We just moved on to another bar or asked someone to turn down the music. It has not been a serious problem for us.

We take longer cruises, usually two weeks and 90's of the cruisers generally could be in AARP.

We also cruise NCL, which has a younger crowd, but there are more offensive music and announcements.

I don't have a problem with X trying to appear more to younger people, it is nice having a somewhat younger cruise group. When a cruise is overrun by scooters, I will probably find other cruises.

My current problem isn't the noise, the food quality, the availability of wine stewards, their web site or any of the other items we have mentioned in these forums recently.....my problem is that I have now received so many different offers for cruises in Europe this summer that I've given up trying to even figure out if any are really a good deal for us. The marketing department, in their exuberance with 1-2-3 now has sent me offers for:

pick any 2 of 1-2-3

get all three of 1-2-3

pick 2 of 1-2-3 and get free excursions

Pick 2 of 1-2-3 and get an additional bonus OBC

and I've received offers from TA's offering me a discount if I book flights through ChoiceAir or 2 free specialty dinners if I book through ChoiceAir.

There also seem to be various guarantee rates on some of the cruises....I've seen guaranteed balcony, guaranteed Concierge and Guaranteed Aqua. Do I know if any of the four options above apply to any guarantee rate...nope.

There are really too many options to consider since we are flexible and would cruise to iceland, norwegian fjiords or the baltic.....so I have essentially given up....

My travel agent tried to sort it out...and the sort of did, but even they were confused because they don't have all the offers e.g. captains club excursions.

I guess for us, Celebrity marketing shot themselves in the foot....I wonder if we're alone?

Happy Sails to You

I resemble the bean counter remark. :)

I have used finance as a COO in a small company along with marketing, etc.to make most strategic/long term/far reaching decisions. We always did reviews to stay on course and confirm our assumptions and make corrections, but they are doing the math every day. I have liked lots of changes Celebrity has made along with a lot I have not. I personally hated the decision to add cabins of deck 12 of M class ships and take away "MY" jogging track. :)

To your point though, Celebrity is clearly looking towards the future with the new CEO and I have no doubt he is getting agreement from Chairman as to direction in general.

I would suggest that there is a growing disconnect between Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and they want to fix that or lessen the disconnect. By this, I mean, they want Celebrity to be positioned as a migration for their RCL customers over time.

As for you (and me) we do matter to Celebrity, but (that is the big butt) they have done the math. So....they will try to, IMHO, straddle the fence of generational differences over the next few years. I hate to say it, I am 62 this year, there are less of us every day. I know of at least 5 couples who used to sail, but now due to health or retirement finances, are not sailing.

My Mom used to shop at a store called Lerner (sp) many years ago. Over time, she moved, no store close by, etc. Then one day, we were in a mall and saw a Lerner store. She went in and ALL the clothes were for a younger generation.

Let me know if you find any cruise line not making changes to attract the younger passengers. We may be the younger demographic of some other cruise line!?

Even though I've cruise on Celebrity for many years, I must be the "new" clients that some are talking about. I'm in my 60's and I have no problem with what Celebrity is doing nor did I have a problem with what they have done in the past.

I personally don't think, like one poster said, that they trying to drive long time customers away, but for any business to continue to be successful, they can not only depend on their current customer base. Celebrity has to get with the times in certain areas to attrack newer customers, because let's face it some of us older customers won't be around forever.

The loudness and type of music seems to be a favorite complaint of some, but many have voiced the opposite opinion. So who is right and who is wrong...who knows. I'm sure that Celebrity has done their research on the music. Most companies that have bars, restaurants, department stores and even grocery stores that plays music has done the research to know which music brings in customers, which music makes them stay longer, which music makes them buy more and/or drink more, and I'm sure that Celebrity has done the same and based by what those have said about which bars are more crowded (those with the loud uplifiting music), they are correct. A bar that has low or background music allows for customers to converse more and drink less (think about it, if you are talking, you are not drinking) and is extremely boring to some, especially those on vacation, so they won't even come in the bar (point, many have said that the quieter bars/lounges are empty or have few customers). Now, Celebrity is in a quandry. Do they turn the music down and change the type of music and lose (1) customers and (2) revenue or do they leave the music the way it is and not lose revenue. What would you do if it was your company?

I'm sure Celebrity understands that some will not like the direction they have been taking, but they also know that it should attract new customers - hopefully making it a wash.

We all have choices. We can chose to be a passenger on a cruise line or we chose to go somewhere else, this happens every day and I'm sure that any cruise line can tell you, almost to the number, how many old passengers they expect to leave for various reasons and how many "new to the line" passengers they will garner in that year. And I don't think they are going to change things because current customers threaten to leave the line, because they like most companies know, those customers don't really leave or just leave for a short period of time and then come back.

I think Celebrity knows exactly what they are doing and in my opinion they are doing it just right. And customers have to understand that they can't always have it their way, there are thousands of other passengers on the ship and Celebrity can't just cater to a few.

It is really interesting to see the different prospectives. We just did Carnival in Jan and I can say our recent 14 days on the Eclipse (April 6) was much more high class and sophisticated. There is really no comparison, a completely different experience and Celebrity is superior in every way.

As for the music, we took our friends on their first cruise and at the pool deck I spent most of the cruise explaining to them how on other lines there is actually music at the pool most of the time. Other than Zumba and when they had live bands we didn't hear any music at all at the pool and we spent a ton of time out in the sun. Yes, the Martini bar was loud but the Ensemble Lounge was quieter sometimes or had live music. Micheal's club was also very quiet most of the time. I think you just need to pick your venue. If you don't want loud music, don't go to the Martini bar.

I highly doubt that Celebrity is purposely trying to chase away people (seems like a bad business plan), but they may be trying to broaden their clientele to attract some younger people just starting their cruising lives! They have to balance the requests from some of their customers for more music and different types against those of other customers who don't like it. Difficult situation.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm 34, my husband is 47 and we cruised with our friends who are 41 and 50.

Also, as an FYI, I almost never buy anything on the ship and we never take ship tours (I have also found better value doing tours independently) - so I don't think that is an age thing.

We loved our cruise on the Eclipse and have changed most of our future cruises to Celebrity now. (we would have changed them all except the NCL one is a reunion with some great friends)

Sue

I agree with this assessment. We were also on the April 6 Eclipse sailing and we would rate it a 5 out of 5. We loved every minute of it. I don't have one complaint of any significance. There were a couple of small things but they weren't by any means a problem. I thought the band at the pool wasn't very good, but when they were on, I listened to music on my tablet -problem solved. When the band wasn't playing I thought that the music around the pool was pretty decent, it wasn't loud and it had a good mix of different music. We stuck to deck 14 just above the pool, but even when walking on deck 12 I didn't notice it being too loud.

I didn't care for the electronic music at the Martini Bar either, but certainly didn't find it too loud. When the bands played in the main foyer, they were much louder than the piped music but still at a tolerable level. My 80-year old father was there with us most nights and even he didn't have an issue with it.

We are in our early 50's and never for a moment felt as though the Eclipse was trying to appeal to a younger crowd. It felt perfect for us. We will definitely return.

I agree with the above posts. Celebrity used to have a large variety of great live music on board by very talented musicians and the recorded music they played appealed to us (we're in the latter half of our 50's now and started with Celebrity nearly 10 years ago). These days it seems like most of the music is either repetitive techno music or music appealing to a much older age group than us with not enough quality music in between.

When we first started cruising Celebrity they'd have two or three sets of live music by the pool every sea day afternoon and at least a late afternoon set on most port days. They'd also have really nice rock/pop/island recorded music in between the live music sets. The live music on Caribbean cruises was performed by great island bands that played a real nice selection of both island music and more popular adult rock and soft rock music.

It's been years since they had the great bands they once had and the bands they have these days are less polished and try to play too much variety targeted at every different group on board with the result that they seldom do it well.

They also have music by the pool less and less frequently.

Very well said. I've noticed the same thing over the years.

It is funny how we get used to some (but not all!) of the changes.

Our first cruises, DH was a cigar smoker (he smokes nothing now), he adored Michaels (maybe due to the lovely lady hostess!) In 2002 he was distraught, we had to find a new drinking venue (and give up one of his vices)

We migrated to the Martini Bar. We were happy then! But then change. I remember the first time I cruised on Constellation after the Martini Bar had changed. I had lost my hole in the floor and that really quiet place we enjoyed a drink and where Sudi taught me how to make a martini, but during these years I had been introduced to (and become addicted to) martinis

Time moved on, we have had mixed fortunes with the martini bar but at the same time there have been more bars to choose from so instead of only drinking in one place, we have moved around a lot.

We have discovered on warm nights the Sunset Bar/Ocean View (back) bar can be a perfect place, Cellar Masters is good and we have gone back to Michaels and the Martini Bar

As regards the music, on Solstice in February we remarked how lovely the Martini Bar was again as we could sit there and listen to the great sets being played in the Atrium, we did not have techno grunge at all. We also discovered the Passport Bar for the first time one night when the Martini Bar was too busy and thought, why have we not been here before, its great

So where does this leave us - well currently happy as shareholders as figures seem to be holding up, though of course we know things can turn in a quarter.

What will we do it the techno grunge creeps further, well pick ourselves up and find another bar, when they changed things in Michaels in 2002 we thought that was the end of the world, it wasn't

So as long as it is not universal noise, we will not feel we are being driven away

I have been on 16 ocean cruises, sailing literally all around the world beginning 1989. I have sailed Premier (yes the Big Red Boat), Carnival, Norweigean, Holland America and Princess numerous times and Celebrity once about 15 years ago.

These are all mass market cruise lines. By their very definition and for economic reasons they must appeal to a broad customer base. That means when I cruise them there will be elements that will appeal to me and other elements that will not. The only way I know to get exactly what I want all the time is to charter a crewed yacht and hire in my own cook and entertainment.

For me, the value of mass market cruise lines out weighs the little things that are not specifically designed for my taste.

I just returned from my first river cruise with Viking. This is not a mass market cruise. It is different and very tailored to people will certain interests. It was great and it was expensive. By comparison the 13 day trip (9 night cruise) including pre and post cruise time in Amterdam cost me as much as I expect to pay for the 24 day trip (18 night cruise) I have planned on Celebrity this fall from Honolulu to Sydney. I will spend time in each city pre and post cruise.

Will I miss some of the features and intimacy of that small ship? Yes. But the value proposition of mass market cruising can't be matched.

I have no doubt that I would find things I could quibble about on the most upscale cruise line. I live by the philosophy that the worst day on vacation (usually cruising) is way better then the best day at work.

(full disclosure I am 56):eek:

See that's one of the problems we have. We loved the M Class ship martini bars. When we first cruise on Millennium in 2002 it was my favorite place, now they have ruined it.

We loved sitting in the martini bar having our martinis and looking down the hole to the Rendezvous Lounge watching people dance, etc.

Michael's Club seems to be too quiet.

Really sad Celebrity ruined my favorite thing.

Huh, I thought the Martini bar on the Milly was just a plaque on the wall.

I like the one on the Century. Kinda retro like lighting.

Archived