Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline/Hotwire et al

CC Help Jenn

Bid

3 1/2 *

Downtown

Sunday, Feb. 16, one night

Won Crowne Plaza Hotel Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise.

Bid a long time before finally getting it at $150. More than we thought we'd have to pay, but it's peak cruise season and less than booking it directly.

Good grief.....I keep looking and looking for a decent Fort Lauderdale (3 star) for Feb 28th - 1 night and can't find anything under $100.00 after all of the fees are included:eek:..

Even the 1 star are $80.00:mad:

Prices are really high. We rent a car (can usually be done cheaply thru Dollar/Thrifty...return right at port entrance), so area dzn't matter much to us. I finally did an Express Deal on PL for 2/8...got a 3-star in Miramar for $98 (they currently have a 5% coupon code "HOLIDAY"). If you rent a car, keep checking rates regularly b/c they change frequently.

Prices are really high. We rent a car (can usually be done cheaply thru Dollar/Thrifty...return right at port entrance), so area dzn't matter much to us. I finally did an Express Deal on PL for 2/8...got a 3-star in Miramar for $98 (they currently have a 5% coupon code "HOLIDAY"). If you rent a car, keep checking rates regularly b/c they change frequently.

Will do, thanks!! :D

Will do, thanks!! :D

Express Deals has a 3-star hotel near the airport for $125, representing a 40%+ savings from actual hotel rate. On top of that you can use the code HOLIDAY for 5% off. Hotel has an airport shuttle. Might be a good one to grab. If you cross-reference price and amenities (including average user ratings) with the 3-star hotels in the "regular" PL list for the airport, you might be able to figure out what it is.

EDIT: Actually, my guess is that it's the Hilton Garden Inn or Cambria Suites. Great price.

Edited by RealDeal

• 2 weeks later...

After spending a lot of time trying to get a good deal on Priceline we were able to book Feb.6-8th at W Ft. Lauderdale thru Hotwire for $144 per night.

4 star = Oceanfront + pet friendly + pool + restaurant + spa + business centre

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Miami Airport & Convention Center, 3.5* hotel

Yesterday we had a successful Priceline bid at $85, with taxes $104.43, for April 25, 2014 for the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Miami Airport & Convention Center.

Dh first bid $78 for Miami International Airport (MIA) area for 3.5* hotels only. His bid was rejected so he bid again at $85 and was successful in getting this 3.5* hotel.

Hello,

I thought I'd post a win on Hotwire:

1/16/14-1/16/14

Pestana South Beach Art Deco Hotel

1817 James Ave

2 Night Stay

$141.00+$60.10=$352.10

3.5 Star (Central South Beach)

Amenities:

Free Internet

Pool

Business Center

Golf Nearby

Tennis Nearby

90% Customer Recommended

Trip Advisor 4.0 out of 5.0

2nd Booking:

Fort Lauderdale(Las Olas-Downtown-Port Everglades)

1/25-1/26 1 night

Riverside Hotel

3.5 Star

Amenities:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Pool

Restaurant

Smoke Free

Business Center

Fitness Center

Internet

Accessible Bathroom

$171.00+$35.32=$206.32

Also, Hotwire is offering $25.00 off the total price if you download their app on your smart phone…..

I hope this help anyone else who is looking to find a gem on Hotwire. If anyone has stayed here.. please let me know your thoughts!

Cruisegirl29

I won't be upgrading...we leave very early the next morning. I know we will get the super old rooms. I'm fine with it lol. First time staying there.

Riverside is in a very nice shopping area if you have time. Yummy bakery and ice cream shop just across the street. Old Spaghetti Factory on the corner.

We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was good.

Specifically booked this hotel for our Feb 16 cruise.

I have always booked directly with hotels. Trying to navigate the bidding system or hotwire deals where they tell you which property, etc. & am confused.

My husband & I are taking a cruise out of Port of Miami on 3/2/14 so looking for a 1 night stay pre-cruise. Was hoping to get something in $125. price range that provided airport shuttle and/or cruise ship shuttle. If they have a light breakfast that would be a bonus! Naturally I would expect to pay more if it were a more upscale property such as Embassy Suites.

We usually book LaQuinta on LeJuene Rd. & they provide all of the above. Clean, decent, place with a continental breakfast but I felt a price of $179. plus 13% tax was a lot for that property. Near a highway & nothing really in easy walking distance. Basically a place to put your head & get transportation, which is fine but not for that price.

So in short - Is there a way of entering what amenities I want to narrow it down? When I looked in Miami area there are so many areas I don't even know where, for example, Bayside (which people said had nice restaurants/shops) is considered. What area should I look into?

HELP!!! Suggestions???

Lynn,

Will give you a run down of what I know and use. Others can chime in with their take on it.

Priceline has were you can bid on rooms. You select a star rating and an area. When you go into "name your own price" it will show you the areas and you pick where you want. This is a great way to do it if you are not picky about amenties or exact location. We have gotten many 4* hotels for a 2 or 3 star price. Gotta love that.

Then both priceline (express deals) and Hotwire (secret hot rates) have where they show you the approx location on a map, the star level and the amenties and the going price. You can book the hotel at that price without knowing the exact name. This is also a great way to go if you are not set on a certain hotel.

I normally look in the area I like and check out all hotels in the star rating I want. Make sure you would be happy with any of them before you agree or bid.

I have been using Hotwire more lately than bidding on priceline. Not sure if they hold true, but priceline doesn't let you enter number of guest in the room. Hotwire does. However hotwire says that while they cannot guarantee bed preference, they will accomadate the number of guest entered. Not sure what this means, but assuming they will have a sofa bed or rollaway if you end up with 4 people and only a king bed.

Hope this helps a little.

• 2 weeks later...