Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline/Hotwire et al

CC Help Jenn

I think I am going to keep my Intercontinental that I booked a while back. I got it total with taxes $151 from LMT dot com. I like being close to Bayside market because when we went to Bayside Market a few years ago, we found a place that had Gyros, the best I have ever tasted apart from actually going to Greece to get them. LOL!! I'm half Greek so I know a good Gyro!!

Hi all

Based on my experience and research at website called betterbidding.com I started my search for a hotel at Hotwire. I was this time looking for something in the airport zone, as we have an early morning flight. In any event I was able to get the following.

3* Hyatt House Fort Lauderdale Airport South for $67.00 + $17.38 (taxes/fees) = $84.38 for 05/10/2014-05/11/2014. Hotwire lists this hotel, as having the following amenities, free parking, free breakfast, free internet, pet friendly, suite, airport shuttle, smoke free rooms, fitness center, pool(s), business center, internet access, golf nearby, accessible for the blind, accessible for the deaf, accessible path of travel, in-room accessibility, wheelchair accessible, accessible bathroom, handicapped parking roll-in shower.

The Hyatt website shows rates around $200, so the Hotwire rate is very good. I also previously stayed at the Hyatt Place which I think is close by and if memory serves me there are a number of shops and eateries near by as well. In addition I was hoping for a hotel with a business center, so I can print out boarding passes for our flight back to Denver on Southwest and this hotel seems to offer that.

Now just need to start researching rental cars for this trip.

Hi all

I have for a number of months been looking for a hotel from a pre and/or post cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale, but had never been too serious, as I had to book our airfare and that would determine the dates. In any event today I booked our tickets with Southwest from Denver.

After doing that I did a search at Hotwire and Priceline. I was hoping to get something near the beach, so I started my search on Hotwire and found a 3* hotel for $90 in the Fort Lauderdale beach zone. Using the amenities listed I narrowed this property to what I thought was the Ocean Sky Resort, but would not be sure until I booked it. Then checked out some reviews on this hotel. They seemed mixed, but was pleased to a large of good reviews. In any event I decided to try my luck on Priceline and started my bidding at $75, but unsuccessful, so I upped my bid to $80 and added the airport north bidding zone, as there were not 3* in that area. I was again unsuccessful, so I just decided to book the hotel at the $90 rate based on my previous experience and the information I had got at the website betterbidding.com.

Ended up with 3* Sky Ocean Resort for 05/02/2014-05/03/2014 for $90 + $19.95 (fees/taxes) = $109.59. Hotwire lists the hotel's amenities, as being pool(s), restaurant(s), internet access, self service laundry, in-room accessibility, accessible for the deaf, accessible path of travel, and roll-in shower. Some at betterbidding.com, due however believe that there may be more amenities those that should have been listed.

The hotel's website does show rates close to $150, so I am happy with my price. Also I understand that like most beach front hotels there is a parking fee ($15 at this hotel). Overall I am happy to get a breach front hotel for less than $100. Had previously stayed at the Westin and Sheraton Yankee Clipper and paid more through Priceline.

Isn't there somewhere on here that shows how to use Priceline/hotwire? I need to find a hotel for one night in Ft Lauderdale before our cruise and haven't a clue where to look or how to do it.

Take a look at Better Bidding dot com

Isn't there somewhere on here that shows how to use Priceline/hotwire? I need to find a hotel for one night in Ft Lauderdale before our cruise and haven't a clue where to look or how to do it.

Use betterbidding.com for info about areas to stay, tricks to bidding etc. There are also two separate lists of hotels often "won" for Priceline and Hotwire. Research and read recent reviews on tripadvisor.com of those, to make sure you would be happy with any of them in your level or location. Once you are assgined a hotel you cannot cancel without losing your money. SO know your stuff.

Research what to bid depending on what other travel sites and the hotels are charging for your particular date. Weeekends in winter will be most costly. And will be harder to save more than 25-30% off going rack rate.

Good luck. You might also look at lastminutetravel.com.

If more than two of you, do NOT use PL. A room cannot be guaranteed to hold more than sleeping for two.(one king or queen)

Edited by eandj

We usually use Priceline, but we're afraid we'll get stuck with the FLL Airport Hilton if we select 3* FLL airport. We love tripadvisor.com but the reviews for this place seem to get worse every time we check. We normally do 4* in FLL but this trip we fly in late plus we sail out of Miami so we just want something close to the airport and we'll do the SAS transfer to POM. I'm curious as to those that selected 3* FLL airport area, what hotels have you "won"? Thanks.

Just got the B Ocean Hotel / Ft. Lauderdale

4 star

Beach Area

2 nights 1/18/14 - 1/20/14

Bid $176.00 per night = total $405.30 inc. tax

This is the highest I have ever had to bid to get a hotel on the beach or downtown. Didn't realize that President's Day was that big of a holiday. :D

Still figured I saved $100.00 / night off list price.

Now I need to get 2 nights post-cruise for the 25th. and 26th.

Dave :)

I think it's more the time of year, than it being a holiday. Jan and Feb are always higher for hotels in Fort Lauderdale because of cruisers.

Just got the B Ocean Hotel / Ft. Lauderdale

4 star

Beach Area

2 nights 1/18/14 - 1/20/14

Bid $176.00 per night = total $405.30 inc. tax

This is the highest I have ever had to bid to get a hotel on the beach or downtown. Didn't realize that President's Day was that big of a holiday. :D

Still figured I saved $100.00 / night off list price.

Now I need to get 2 nights post-cruise for the 25th. and 26th.

Dave :)

I think it's more the time of year, than it being a holiday. Jan and Feb are always higher for hotels in Fort Lauderdale because of cruisers.

Yes, But I have cruised in Jan. - March the last 10 years out of FLL and never paid this much on PL or HW. The Pier 66 is even coming up with "no vacancy" on some sites. Looks like the economy is turning around in Ft. Lauderdale. :D

Happy Cruising!

Dave

Cruising in December.

First time using Priceline and we got the Regency Hyatt Miami for 130.00. It comes to 156.00 with taxes.

I had thought that we would have had an opportunity to say yes or no but that is not how it works :(

We had hoped for the Intercontinental but are happy to still be near Bayside and paying less than the rates we could have booked directly through either hotel.

Yes, But I have cruised in Jan. - March the last 10 years out of FLL and never paid this much on PL or HW. The Pier 66 is even coming up with "no vacancy" on some sites. Looks like the economy is turning around in Ft. Lauderdale. :D

Happy Cruising!

Dave

I agree. I've never seen PL or HW prices this high. I guess the days of $100 4* hotels are gone. However, the day of my embarkation, there are seven ships in port. It will be a zoo, and everyone has to sleep somewhere. :)

Has anyone had experience using valuetrips for booking hotels in Fort Lauderdale? I am more familiar with Hotwire and Priceline. Any input would be appreciated. Are prices non-refundable or can you cancel for no fee? Any other fees associated with booking through this web site.

Thanks,

Rachel

Bayside Marketplace is about a 6 block walk from the Courtyard Marriott Downtown. We've stayed there and enjoyed the area. If you get the chance, go to Sparky's Roadside Barbecue (about 2 or 3 blocks away from the Courtyard) - fabulous food in a little out of the way place.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Priceline win : Hyatt Pier 66. Dec. 11-13. $81. $190. for 2 nights inclusive of tax.

Wanted 11-14 so still working the 13/14

This came as a surprise as I bid the beach area. Started bidding at $76.

Edited by iancal

Crown Plaza

Nov22 and 23 Priceline

Summary of Charges

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $81.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 2

Number of Guests Per Room: 2

Number of Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $324.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $49.48 (USD)

Total Charged to Card: $373.48 (USD)

Question about booking Priceline name your price. Can I put in for 2 rooms? We are traveling with adult sons, so I want to make sure we have sleeping room for four people.

Thanks!

I did , no problem. I emailed hotel after getting room and obtained ajoining rooms also

• 2 weeks later...

I had a $20 off coupon from Hotwire so purchase hotel rooms for my two upcoming cruises.

Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South (FLL) $105 plus taxes/fees =$130.33 for 2/15

This is not a great price for a 2.5 star hotel but was the best I could find for this hotel or one with what we needed (Airport shuttle, near a store to buy wine, in the FLL area so our shuttle to POM would be $15 pp). I didn't want to use priceline since we had specific amenities and location in mind.

For our October cruise, I ended up getting Hyatt House Ft Lauderdale Airport South for $51 plus taxes/fees =$68.38 on 10/10.

This is a 3 star hotel with Airport Shuttle, near a store to buy wine and in the area we need for our shuttle pick up. I think this was a really great deal and sure wish I had found a deal like that for February, but as we all know February is in the high season.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had experience using valuetrips for booking hotels in Fort Lauderdale? I am more familiar with Hotwire and Priceline. Any input would be appreciated. Are prices non-refundable or can you cancel for no fee? Any other fees associated with booking through this web site.

Thanks,

Rachel

Yes. I have used valutrips 3 times to book the Hyatt Place airport North in Ft. Lauderdale. No problems at all with those bookings. If I had more in my budget for our next pre-cruise hotel stay I would use them again. Tip: If you want to get to the port with no waiting and no hassle just call a taxi to take you to the ship. The shuttle from the hotel is a bit of a zoo.