LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Zuiderdam to Alaska (version 2013)

LAFFNVEGAS

:rolleyes: Awww, the memories, it was only a few short hours ago that I was on the Zuiderdam!!! We were in 6111, so I passed your room several times. I loved it there. In the Crows Nest, please tell Reb, the bartender that Teri the kiss lady says Hi. We sat and watched Happy Hour almost everyday, of course we had to have a drink also!! Happy travels to you, I will enjoy your posts, wishing that I was still on board!!

Thanks for the report Lisa. Kind of disappointing that they closed off the 4*mariner/suite line forcing everyone to wait longer:rolleyes:

Enjoy the Zuiderdam:)

Have a wonderful time. I would have never thought of the repositioning cruise to add to the Alaska cruise. That is genius and definitely something to keep in mind.

We have done it a couple of times.

On the Westerdam from Ft lauderdale to Seattle and then attached on an Alaskan cruise.

Really nice.

Yikes on the shops! You would think it would be the easiest thing in the world to sell some different logo products- in fact, it IS the easiest thing in the world. So why...? Everything else sounds fine so I'll wait for the next installment. Glad you made it on board ok!

Tuesday May 7, 2013

Good Evening from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

We have finished dinner walked thru the shops and truly tied out hardest to find something to buy that was new and different from last year but no luck :(

But more about that later.

I have to admit I am exhausted, like normal of that night before we leave I did not sleep much last night and am looking forward to sleeping very well tonight.

Check in went fairly easy an we were on board quickly, although Pathfinderess aka Melodie was a bit upset se arrived after us but not much later and they closed down the separate check i line for 4 and 5 star Mariners and Suites. I do not blame her that should not have been shut down and they had just one line that they had to wait in. We did have the separate check in and funny I got in line and who is right in front of me but Roz from here on CC. We already know each other from last years cruise.

We went to our cabin dropped off our carryon and went to the Lido for lunch. As we find a table with plates in hand who do we see but a Wine Steward who remembers us by the name of Jay. We have cruised with him several times.

After lunch we went back to the cabin and our luggage arrived quite early so we got unpacked and settled in. Love these SY cabins we are in 6101 which is a good mid ship location. Life Boat drill was early at 2:15 and already at our same station was Melodie and Ron and Roz. Only those that boarded today had to take the Life Boat Drill.

We have a great table for two in the Main Dining Room table number 79 and our Servers is also quite good. The selections tonight were OK but nothing that was super great. Tom ended up ordering the NY Steak off the everyday menu and I had a pasta dish with Clams and Scallops.

Now about the shops, they are truly in a sad state. Other than a few Alaska items that are ever so slightly different looking than last year every single thing is exactly the same. Tom actually has every single one of the T shirts they are selling. Most of the items are the same exact things that were being sold 4 years ago. Any Hal cruiser that frequents the ships will definitely have a hard time to fine anything new to buy :(

I will confirm that the Internet cost is back to the way it use to be, the set up fee is $3.95 then the normal 4 plans. It has been a bit of a challenge to figure out getting to the log on with the iPad but think I have it now.

We are going to the Crow's Nest at 9 to meet up with some of the others from our Roll Call for the 4 night portion.

Everything seems to be running quite smoothly on board, and have not heard of any problems.

I am going to sign off for now and post this.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam

Thanks Lisa for the report.

That is terrible that the Suite and 4/5 Star mariner lines were closed down early.

San Diego is getting known for doing things their own way -- slow and terrible,

Sounds like a great start to your cruise. Thanks for taking the time to post a Live thread and include some pictures. It helps get me through my work day!

We loved our Alaskan cruise and we will repeat it. Disappointing to hear the state of the shops though. Hope the weather keeps up for you.

Lisa...hope you and Tom have a wonderful cruise:):):) Great idea sailing from San Diego...then Alaska...thinking of this next year...thanks for taking us along:)

Enjoyed watching the sail away but will like it better when Mike & I are sailing away! Enjoying your live thread and will see you in a few days.

Diane

What Diane said goes for me too:D

I'm going to carry on with my nearly live from thread after you disembark Lisa:) I think it will be neat to have B2B2B Nearly Live from Zuiderdam threads and see if anything is different from all 3 of our perspectives.

Keep her safe my friends and we will see you Saturday!! I will be out on my scooter watching and waving as you sail into Canada Place!!

Joanie

I agree on the shops, Lisa. It's a goldmine for them...I would think they'd want to rotate merchandise knowing that HAL especially has a lot of repeat cruisers.

I didn't purchase a single thing on the Ryndam...because there was nothing new.

Thanks for the report, Lisa. Happy you are happily aboard.

I agree it just plain is wrong to close down the Suite and Four/five Star Check in Line.

When you sell people something, you need to deliver it. It isn't a 'favor'..... it has been paid for.

Hope you're having a wonderful time.

hello lisa...just found your "live from" thread and will follow it daily. your descriptions of cruises and ships is wonderful. i'm sure you and tom will have another fabulous cruise. and remember, what happens on zuiderdam doesn't stay on zuiderdam. it appears on your "live from" thread for all your followers to read!

cheers

Lisa,I am so glad you will be doing a live Alaska report. I know it will be great.

Since we plan to take the first Alaska cruise next year could you note the weather and temps in each port. If you could it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Lisa for the report.

That is terrible that the Suite and 4/5 Star mariner lines were closed down early.

San Diego is getting known for doing things their own way -- slow and terrible,

So much so, I'm never going back. Never!!!

Wednesday May 8, 2013

Good Afternoon from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam

Today has basically been a perfect Sea Day, we slept in till about 8:30 got up and dressed Tom and I headed to the Lido where I grabbed a very lite breakfast of a small roll a tiny piece of ham and a V-8 Then while he headed to the Crow's Nest to read I went to the Spa. Although I was just here on the Zuiderdam it always surprises me that the Thermal Suite on the Zuiderdam is just ever so slightly different than all the others. I know I mentioned this last year but they are just subtle things. I am guessing it is due to the fact that the Zuiderdam was the first. Zuiderdam was even out before they started doing the Signature of Excellence upgrades on the S and R Class ships. The differences are that the Hydrotherapy Pool water level is lower the pool itself is not as deep, probably 2 to 3 inches lower but when you are as short as I am things like that I notice ;) The Steam Room and Sauna in the Thermal Suite has wood benches not the ceramic and dobiemom pointed out to me andI think remembered I thought this last year that the ceramic heated loungers sit up more on the Zuiderdam rather than laying back so far as they do on the other ships. A little after 11 I decided I was doe with the Thermal Suite but wanted to check out if there were any appointment times available for a massage and to see what specials the were offering. I had the Head to Tow special for today that was to included a 50 minute massage,ankle and foot massage, head massage and a mini facial all this was 75 minutes in length for $139 OK sounded good to me. The gentleman that did it really did an excellent job and I did totally relax but just a slight thing that does bug me. If the treatment is to last 75 minutes and the massage 50 then it should. I looked at my watch just as the therapist walked in and when he completed and walked out I checked my watch it was exactly 58 minutes. No I did not say anything because frankly that is not my style. Unless the 75 minutes counts the time he has to attempt to sell me products.

In the women's changing room I ran into dobiemom aka Marcia, she was just getting to the Thermal Suite her and I were originally going to meet around 9. She told me she had signed up for the Master Chef's Dinner that was going to be tomorrow night. I would like to but Tom is such a picky eater he is positive he will not like anything so does not want to go. I would like to try it so just not sure yet. Which leads me into some of the differences of this cruise over last. All of us that are doing the B2B go letters about this being a Collectors Cruise and we were invited to dine in the Pinnacle either last night or the first night of the 7 day portion which we plan to do. We also will most likely go to the Pinnacle the last night of the 7 day. Although who knows we may also do it this coming Friday night too. Then this morning we got an Invite to the Mariner's pre brunch cocktail party for tomorrow at 11am with lunch to follow. So looks like we might get two Mariner Parties/lunch.

Tonight is a Formal night(Optional) this is just like last year those that booked the 4 night Coastal all of their paper work state 4 Casual Nights yet those on the 22 day it states this is their last Formal night. Interesting is that last year on that night the menu was really nothing special while tonight there is escargot and Filet Mignon and Lobster which is your typical last night Formal menu. What I am curious about did they not have this for those that disembarked in San Diego??

I have not really stepped outside but it appears to be cool based on those that were wearing heavy coats that had been outside. But the seas are extremely calm which is totally opposite of last year in this same area. I would guess we have to be making good time and will make Victoria with no problems.

Well I think I will do a bit of reading or napping. Cruising is such hard work ;)

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

Sign up for the Master Chef Dinner without Tom; you will probably be raving about it so much, he will have to go to the next one to see why lol.

It was the highlight of our Noordam cruise last year.

Have a great trip.

Catherine

Archived