Boarding Today, Forgot Meds! Can we Get Them OnBoard?

Arrived in Tampa late last night to Board the Jewel today. Just realized we left the DH's Coumadin home. Does anyone know if he can get a 7-day supply through the ship's doctor/pharmacy? Thanks.

If they have it, it will be very expensive. If you use a chain pharmacy, call your pharmacy back home and have them contact a pharmacy in Tampa - they should be able to allow you a 7 day supply.

I have a bad habit of leaving home without my BP med and have frequently had to have to pharmacy contact a local branch for a short supply.

Arrived in Tampa late last night to Board the Jewel today. Just realized we left the DH's Coumadin home. Does anyone know if he can get a 7-day supply through the ship's doctor/pharmacy? Thanks.

Not sure if they would have what you need on the ship. Do you use a CVS or Walgreens for your pharmacy? They can call up your prescription and give you a week supply easily.

Do you get the Coumadin filled at a chain pharmacy? If so, you can go to one of their branches in Tampa, and they can transfer the Rx for you.

Or, any pharmacy can call your MD for an emergency Rx.

(Even if your insurance won't pay for it because you already have a supply at home, 7 tabs of generic Coumadin shouldn't be that expensive out-of-pocket, but the pharmacy should be able to get a vacation or emergency insurance override for you.)

Coumadin is not a medication that you can skip doses or mess around with, so you should take care of this before you board the ship.

Do you get the Coumadin filled at a chain pharmacy? If so, you can go to one of their branches in Tampa, and they can transfer the Rx for you.

Or, any pharmacy can call your MD for an emergency Rx.

(Even if your insurance won't pay for it because you already have a supply at home, 7 tabs of generic Coumadin shouldn't be that expensive out-of-pocket, but the pharmacy should be able to get a vacation or emergency insurance override for you.)

Coumadin is not a medication that you can skip doses or mess around with, so you should take care of this before you board the ship.

I am a pharmacist with CVS. DonnaK is exactly right. Any pharmacy can do this for you. If you use a chain and that chain has a store near you, it is very easy for them to do this. Diall 1800shopcvs for the nearest store to you.

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses! We found a CVS located not too out of the way, between our hotel and the port. They had his prescription on file and are preparing a 7-day vacation supply. We'll have the cab take us there first before we board. Our cab fare will be a little higher, but that's a small price to pay for keeping him healthy!

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses! We found a CVS located not too out of the way, between our hotel and the port. They had his prescription on file and are preparing a 7-day vacation supply. We'll have the cab take us there first before we board. Our cab fare will be a little higher, but that's a small price to pay for keeping him healthy!

I suspect the extra cab fare will be nothing like what the cost would have been to be seen in the ship's medical center and then pay for the meds.... if they had the medication in the first place. I'm glad it worked out. It seems like, at least for me, it is almost impossible to leave home for a vacation without forgetting something that I need to have with me.

I'm glad this all worked out for you. :)

On a Caribbean cruise my DH had forgotten his meds and we had to get his prescription filled in St. John. It was not cheap. :eek::(

The same happened with my mother once. She needed one of her meds. Fortunately we were in a US territory, St. Thomas, and I was able to write a prescription at a local pharmacy. However, the medication which would have cost pennies per tablet back in the States was really expensive in the island. I suspect it may have been a "tourist" markup. But at least I was able to get the medicine for her.

By the way...the folks at CVS were awesome! I have a feeling they've done this a few times. :p

pharmdawg, they did you proud!

That made me chuckle. I would also guess that this is a common situation in a vacation destination.

Have a fantastic & healthy cruise.

:)

Assuming OP is happily on board and enjoying the evening festivities by now:)

This past Feb DH forgot his Coumadin as well.:eek: We were in Fort Lauderdale and had it filled at a Walgreens in Dania without any problem.

Just this past week however, he got two calls from the Walgreens in Dania telling him that his prescriptions were ready for pick up!!!!!

The doctor's office called his scripts in and their automated system sent to to the last pharmacy that he used LOL! I told him we must go right away and pick them up !!;)

Assuming OP is happily on board and enjoying the evening festivities by now:)

This past Feb DH forgot his Coumadin as well.:eek: We were in Fort Lauderdale and had it filled at a Walgreens in Dania without any problem.

Just this past week however, he got two calls from the Walgreens in Dania telling him that his prescriptions were ready for pick up!!!!!

The doctor's office called his scripts in and their automated system sent to to the last pharmacy that he used LOL! I told him we must go right away and pick them up !!;)

EXCELLENT idea, misty. You should confess that you did this on purpose.

:D

You can dial 1800shopcvs for the nearest cvs to you. Or Walgreens and cvs have websites with driving directions for the nearest store.

Hi pharmdawg- I saw your name and response and remembered we sailed with you! You also helped me with a med coupon :) Hope to sail with you again!

Hi pharmdawg- I saw your name and response and remembered we sailed with you! You also helped me with a med coupon :) Hope to sail with you again!

Yes! How have you been? It is good to hear from you again. We sailed back in 09. It was my oldest son'a high schools grad celebration. We are sailing in 2 weeks again for his college grad celebration and youngest son's high school grad. (At least that is what we are telling them) we use anything for an excuse to cruise. Four years have gone by quickly.

Glad that you were able to sort this out. Have a wonderful cruise and stay healthy!:)

By the way...the folks at CVS were awesome! I have a feeling they've done this a few times. :p

pharmdawg, they did you proud!

It probably does make a difference if the pharmacy is in a resort area. I forgot my BP meds on a trip north and stopped at a branch of one of the chain pharmacies. You would have thought I was trying to get a year's supply of Oxycontin the way they handled it. I don't think they had ever had such a request before. :rolleyes:

Archived