Silliest complaint!!

aggietd

After reading a post about people liking to complain, I so agree with the op and others, no such thing IMO as a bad cruise.

But then had a thought, what is the silliest complaint you have ever heard?

To start this of,

While waiting at guest relations on a celebrity cruise, I heard a lady complain very loudly to the lady behind the counter(not very politely either) about the fact that nobody changed the wet towels on her sunbed after she had been swimming, she expected that they should be changed by someone every time they got wet!!

Can you beat that?

Tread lightly here....because you are suggesting that you know what is a silly complaint vs someone who is complaining because they don't understand something (perhaps a language problem), have a mental disability, etc.

On our Greek Islands cruise this past summer on Celebrity Solstice there was a couple down at Guest Services raising quite the stink that their Inside Stateroom didn't have a balcony and asked to be transferred to an "Inside Stateroom with a Balcony" The Guest Services Rep was trying to explain to them that NONE of the Inside Staterooms had either a window or Balcony... As it turns out, they booked the "Inside" Stateroom because, in their words, "they didn't want to have to sleep outside"....You see, they were under the impression that any Stateroom that wasn't listed as "Inside" was in fact, "Outside". When the light finally went on in their heads, they couldn't get away from the Counter quick enough.....

aggietd wrote

While waiting at guest relations on a celebrity cruise, I heard a lady complain very loudly to the lady behind the counter(not very politely either) about the fact that nobody changed the wet towels on her sunbed after she had been swimming, she expected that they should be changed by someone every time they got wet!!

You mean they don't....lol......I do get a kick over this 'entitlement' attitude some have....I mean that person could have much more polite!!!

Many years ago a woman cancelled her cruise when she found out they served coke products and not pepsi or vice versa

Sent from my Kindapatalk 2

Well now...see, I think that's an understandable reason for cancellation. Haha! If she drinks a lot of pop it might have been a real issue for her. I myself detest Pepsi, so I can relate. :p

Many years ago a woman cancelled her cruise when she found out they served coke products and not pepsi or vice versa

That is funny ;because she could have substituted ice tea :p:D:p

On our Greek Islands cruise this past summer on Celebrity Solstice there was a couple down at Guest Services raising quite the stink that their Inside Stateroom didn't have a balcony and asked to be transferred to an "Inside Stateroom with a Balcony" The Guest Services Rep was trying to explain to them that NONE of the Inside Staterooms had either a window or Balcony... As it turns out, they booked the "Inside" Stateroom because, in their words, "they didn't want to have to sleep outside"....You see, they were under the impression that any Stateroom that wasn't listed as "Inside" was in fact, "Outside". When the light finally went on in their heads, they couldn't get away from the Counter quick enough.....

True that some people never think things out :p:D:p

After reading a post about people liking to complain, I so agree with the op and others, no such thing IMO as a bad cruise.

But then had a thought, what is the silliest complaint you have ever heard?

To start this of,

Can you beat that?

On the Azura this March at approx 11.30 we attended GR to obtain some small bills - At the desk were an English couple complaining about the beach vendors seeking to charge for sunbeds - They thought sunbeds should be included in the price of the cruise (as on the ship) - So in anger they returned immediately to the ship to complain.

It was possibly my favorite bizarre thread I ever read on Cruise Critic--some years back now...

A poster started a thread complaining that he deserved to get his entire cruise fare returned to him due to "False advertising" and "Fraud"...

Why?

Because his cabin was advertised as being 184 square feet...

...and he took a tape measure with him...and determined, by his own calculations, that the cabin was, in fact, only 177 square feet! The cruise line LIED...and, therefore, a full refund was in order...

At first, many people thought it was a joke...but the guy was DEAD SERIOUS!

Many of us tried to explain to him that in the real estate industry, measurement of space is not a question of going wall-to-wall with a tape measure...That there are different standards for different types of rental space...Some measure from interior walls, some from exterior, some include dead space within walls such as electrical closets and ducts, etc.--that it could very well be that his rather unqualified measurements could easily be that far off from an industry standard measurement.

All of this was unimportant to the guy...He claimed that having as much space as possible was of material importance to him...and he would not have booked the cruise if he knew the cabin was only 177 square feet...and the true measurement was fraudulently hidden from him...and on and on and on...

It was absolutely bizarre!!!

Tread lightly here....because you are suggesting that you know what is a silly complaint vs someone who is complaining because they don't understand something (perhaps a language problem), have a mental disability, etc.

OK Mom, I'll be good and not make fun of anyone. ;)

It was possibly my favorite bizarre thread I ever read on Cruise Critic--some years back now...

A poster started a thread complaining that he deserved to get his entire cruise fare returned to him due to "False advertising" and "Fraud"...

Why?

...and he took a tape measure with him...and determined, by his own calculations, that the cabin was, in fact, only 177 square feet! The cruise line LIED...and, therefore, a full refund was in order...

Many of us tried to explain to him that in the real estate industry, measurement of space is not a question of going wall-to-wall with a tape measure...That there are different standards for different types of rental space...Some measure from interior walls, some from exterior, some include dead space within walls such as electrical closets and ducts, etc.--that it could very well be that his rather unqualified measurements could easily be that far off from an industry standard measurement.

All of this was unimportant to the guy...He claimed that having as much space as possible was of material importance to him...and he would not have booked the cruise if he knew the cabin was only 177 square feet...and the true measurement was fraudulently hidden from him...and on and on and on...

I remember that one. It really was a classic!

This is an actual complaint that happened several years ago on Royal Caribbean Mariner Of The Seas.

A couple that had booked a balcony cabin boarded the ship and were directed to their cabin. Once inside their cabin they were upset and immediately went down to the Guest Relations desk and said: "We did not pay over $2,000 for a cruise with a balcony cabin only to get a view of the parking lot."

To which the quick witted guest relations person smiled and politely said: "We apologize for the poor view and we will take care of that for you at 5:00 p.m."

I still get a laugh thinking about it. :)

Would you like a few examples of cruises gone bad?

And it so strange that there are so many posts criticizing people who complain and you now want to hear the most outlandish complaints to ridicule and complain about..... :rolleyes:

These threads are a great way to waste time and an even greater alternative to reality TV... and of course a great source of laughter.:D

"We apologize for the poor view and we will take care of that for you at 5:00 p.m."

I bet they get this complaint every other cruise!

You see, they were under the impression that any Stateroom that wasn't listed as "Inside" was in fact, "Outside". When the light finally went on in their heads, they couldn't get away from the Counter quick enough.....

Hopefully they apologized as they hurried away! This actually sounds like a bit of an unfortunate mistake, if they booked themselves. Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know.

I often complain to my husband on cruises that they make the 'midnight shows too late at night'. This is a long running joke of ours stemming from my inability to stay up at night (in college we had "midnight yell" which I really thought should be moved to about 7:30), but anyone evesdropping would likely think I was serious.

Here's my silly but (I think) legitimate complaint: when using a lounge chair, take your used towel or blanket with you when you leave and toss it in the bin. That frees up the chair for another guest. I never know if an unoccupied chair covered in towels is just waiting for its occupant to get out of the pool or back from the bathroom!

That's it. That's my whole deal. Doesn't compete with some of these doozies.

A while back someone was talking about silly things heard on the ship. One was a lady waiting for an elevator who said to her husband, 'we should have gone to the other bank, these elevators only go up.' I loved that and tried it every time we were waiting and a small crowd gathered. I'm sure they thought I was a blithering idiot! ;)

Here's my silly but (I think) legitimate complaint: when using a lounge chair, take your used towel or blanket with you when you leave and toss it in the bin. That frees up the chair for another guest. I never know if an unoccupied chair covered in towels is just waiting for its occupant to get out of the pool or back from the bathroom!

You are so right, the compulsive in me wants to strip the towels for them, the mom wants to tell them to come back and take their towels to the bin.

Why?

Well, Steve, that sure woke of the gray cells today. I do remember that thread and my thought at the time was he was griping about 7 square feet.

On one cruise, I had a cruise critic sign on my door, and had a phone message to my room from a woman complaining about the movies shown in the small theater. She said they were too loud, too violent, too much cussing, etc, and I should write about them and make Celebrity stop showing them. I called her up and told her I had no real power, and what CC was all about.

Why?

I remember that one too...also thought he was joking at first, he wasn't......:eek::D

A friend of mine worked for Pepsi as a marketing rep straight out of University. After about 2 weeks on the job his boss came out on the road with him to see how everything was going. They stopped into a McD's for lunch and my friend made the mistake of ordering a combo with a coke. Opps!:eek: He almost got fired right there and then!

So that lady might not have been that silly after all.;)

LOL I completely agree we need to see the humor in this. Once the folks realized that the view on a moving vessel varies then they wind up feeling silly.

But as far as the guy with the tape measure goes, anyone who brings a tape measure to a cruise ship to measure cabin space is not likely looking for a fun and relaxed vacation, but a means to try and get a freebie from the company. (Probably the same kind of person that says he finds a bug in his soup in a restaurant to get the meal free). LOL

Now all this being said, is there any such thing as a bad cruise? Well I have a passion for cruising and would not be here if I didn't love cruising. But there are some much better than others. But much depends on what you are looking for and hoping for on a cruise.

We each love and dislike different things. so fo me here are the things that do not matter and the things that do.

What does not matter:

1. The hard and softness of the mattress. I can sleep in a cloud of feathers as comfortably as I can in a hammock or a sleeping bag on the ground so the bed does not matter as long as it is clean.

2. The food. I have sailed countless cruises over a 40 year period of time and have to say I have come across some dishes that I did not like and simply left it for the waiter to trash it. But on every ship there is something that is enjoyable, so I just find and eat what I do like and pass on things I do not. I cannot say that any one ship offers everything I like or does not offer anything I like to eat, so the food is pretty much a non issue.

3. Language of the crew, and or other passengers. When I travel I assume that I will meet up with many people from many cultures and for me that is part o the enjoyment of cruising. If I wanted all American, I would stay home and frequent Disney World more. I thni most crew members have a basic on English, but because their vocabulary and dialect is different than mine, I simply remind my self to speak in shorter specific sentences and save the longer chatting for those that I know are able and want to engage in longer communication.

4. Crowds, noise etc: I expect when I am traveling with several thousand people it is expected especially at buffet times, show times and peak times in the elevators for things to get a little crowded. If I wanted peace and quiet and silence and being away from people I would vacation at a cabin in the mountains.

What does matter:

1. I choose my cruises on demographics (or expected demographics). We all have a right to a fun cruise and the things that would annoy me, I simply avoid. Since I am not fond of screaming babies and little children running around unattended, I don't book on Disney Cruise Line, and I don't book Carnival Cruises for 7 days or less especially during peak times like Spring break or summer vacation. In the past what annoys me the most if a cruise line that offers adults only pools, entertainment etc: does not enforce it. So I tend to go on lines and at times when I can enjoy the public areas without dealing with little kids.

2. Entertainment is a big deal to me. I like variety, prefer a live band to piped in music, and love to dance. Although I have never been on a "bad" cruise, I have been on a few disappointing cruises where after dinner there was no place to dance because the band or even the DJ quit for lack of interest.

3. The spa. I also tend to choose cruises that offer a spa with areas like "Thermal Suites" (on Royal Caribbean, "Garden something" on Celebrity and Greenhouse on Holland America. I will seek out a ship that has this kind of facility because it is my day time at sea entertainment. Regarding the spa, I also love it when the people at the spa do NOT try and sell spa products during a spa treatment with the vigor and enthusiasm of a street vendor at a straw market. I was on the Allure last week and have to say I was not once approached by a spa staff member for me to buy products. And because of this, I decided to book an extra treatment.

4. The crew. When aboard a ship I like good service and I am not all that picky. Sure it is nice if a waiter remembers my name or what I drink, or when a cabin steward makes animals out of my towels. But what is most important is just a staff member that is polite, considerate and does not treat guests like they are an inconvenience.

So I would say no cruise is completely bad, nor are any completely perfect. I know that I will be looking forward to the next one. :)

Jeanne

What does matter:

1. I choose my cruises on demographics (or expected demographics). We all have a right to a fun cruise and the things that would annoy me, I simply avoid. Since I am not fond of screaming babies and little children running around unattended, I don't book on Disney Cruise Line, and I don't book Carnival Cruises for 7 days or less especially during peak times like Spring break or summer vacation. In the past what annoys me the most if a cruise line that offers adults only pools, entertainment etc: does not enforce it. So I tend to go on lines and at times when I can enjoy the public areas without dealing with little kids.

Jeanne

THIS. I too avoid Disney and the puke and party cruise lines. I have the luxury of being able to cruise anytime of year I can get vacation and therefore choose when school is in session to avoid the family contingent.

Enforcing adults only area is the reason I choose Celebrity. On my last cruise on the Eclipse there was a family with an 18 month old who I swear seemed to turn up where ever I went. She was cute (except when they always brought her to the MDR at the early seating when she was already tired and cranky) and literally the first morning the whole family parked the large stroller and all her stuff right by the indoor adult only pool.

Her coos and shrieks were great fun for her because of the echo. It lasted 5 minutes before the staff was over there explaining "adults ONLY" area to which Mom actually PROTESTED her baby was "special" and should be allowed to stay. Never mind that she isn't potty trained, not 16, and the stroller was blocking a whole aisle.

The staff offered to help carry all the stuff out and they were escorted to the outdoor pool. I swear that everyone there wanted to cheer.

My wine glass keeps getting empty! I think Celebrity is using faulty goblets!

The strangest complainer I ever had to deal with was a gentleman at our dinner table who each night would complain that X wasn't as good as it should be, but when asked for details refused to talk about it...

Oh well... there are just some people who will never be happy.

Here's your topper. Several years ago we sailed Celebrity Century. My wife decided to play bingo. It so happens lightening struck and she won the almost $4000 jackpot on the last day of the cruise. Yippee. Well, more correctly, she won 1/2 the jackpot. It turned out that a young couple playing the same game actually had a winning bingo on the number before my wife's wining number was called. But because they didn't call bingo at that correct time and called it after my wife's winning number was drawn they were only entitled, per game rules, to claim 1/2 the prize. That was cool with us. At least up until the point when at the bursar's desk waiting to get paid they decided to make a stink about needing the money more than we did so they really should have gotten it all. I politely asked them to explain how, if indeed they needed the money more than we did (don't know if they concluded that - maybe thet pulled my FICO score on their cell phone, LOL) they could afford the cruise in the first place. Then I pointed out that it was very doubtful they needed the money more than us since we had brought our two college age daughters along on the cruise and they had been hanging out in the martini bar the entire cruise on my credit card. The Bursar couldn't quit laughing and as a result it took several more minutes to collect. Maybe I should have complained about that. RFLMAO.

Archived