Let’s talk about silverware… yes, silverware

MR NW GUY

If any of us do see this -- we should speal up right then and there. Either to the the area captain or the staff waiting on us.

AND

We should also mention it on the comment cards at the end of the cruise and even go so far as saying that they made mention of it to the staff, etc.

And for those people who get invited to the Q & A session at the end of the cruise and have witness this happening -- that is another good place to bring up what is happening.

That's what I was thinking. It's odd how they go to all that trouble for the first 48 hours, and this is going on meanwhile.

Exactly. I wonder what the "color code" is for "OK to re-use silverware.". More seriously, I wonder if there's a spreadsheet somewhere in Seattle that calculated how many staff could be saved by re-using apparently unused utensils.

Exactly. I wonder what the "color code" is for "OK to re-use silverware.". More seriously, I wonder if there's a spreadsheet somewhere in Seattle that calculated how many staff could be saved by re-using apparently unused utensils.

Why automatically blame Seattle? It just as easily could be that the waiters are to overworked or lazy to have all the cutlery washed. ;)

Actually we do not live in a sterile bubble. Though the issue with the silverware raises concerns have you ever thought about the:

1. Handling of salt & pepper dispensers

2. Use of spoons to serve yourself in the buffet lines

3. And on and on and on

The items above are handled by many without clean hands :eek:

Correct - no "sterile bubble."

Without sounding as excusing the unsanitary conditions here, galleys and dining areas on cruise ships are probably maintained to a higher cleanliness standard than most shoreside restaurants. Many years ago I worked in a restaurant and observed enough unsanitary conditions to quell my appetite for restaurants for a long time.

Hey Fellow CC’s…

Think back to dinner in the main dining room. The table is set with a full complement of silverware. As the meal progresses, the waiter comes by with their little tray and very carefully replaces your silverware for the next course.

Watch where that silverware goes next! Not in the tray of silverware to be washed, but back in the drawer to be re-used.

After years of cruising, I recently noticed this practice of recycling silverware. I am not a germ a fob, but this seems to be a really unacceptable practice.

Imagine if you took a taste of your tablemate’s soup or salad and placed the utensil back on the table. I did! And the waiter picked up the fork which appeared to be clean and put it back in the drawer to be used again. YUCK! This is when I realized we have a problem here Houston.

On your next sailing if you can see the waiter’s station, see for yourself and report back.

DW and I saw an elderly man on HAL use a fork to scratch his back, under his shirt, at the dinner table. I now wonder if they placed that fork back into the drawer.

We saw this happen in the Pinnacle Grill on the Noordam. The waiter took "unused" silverware from our table and placed it back in the cutlery tray. It wasn't until the end of our dinner when I noticed that was the tray that was being used to set fresh tables. My husband did tell the DM on the way out, who acknowledged that would be a mistake and that he would talk to the servers about it. At this point we were at about day 6 or 7 of 20 days of Code Red. I would have hoped they would be more careful.

Is it possible that there is some confusion about this? I know it seems cut and dry with what the OP saw...but it just seems so unbelievable and nonsensical. What is the point of the cruise line cutting this corner? It doesn't really save any money. Sure, they could get by with fractionally fewer pieces of stock utensils, but that is a one time negligible cost. Once it is purchased, there is really no extra cost in washing them because they don't take up much space or require additional water...and it's so EASY. For a cruise line to do something that carries such a high risk (norovirus) and to that threatens a LOT of negative publicity if anyone every caught on, there would have to be something MAJOR to gain. I just can't help think we are missing something and that there really isn't an issue here.

I just finished reading Cruise Confidential and in it the author stated that the dining rooms never have enough plates/glasses/silverware. According to his experience in the dining rooms of at least three different ships, the waiters are constantly taking what they need from the other stations. Evidently broken items are not replaced quickly and there is a lot of pilfering of silverware (mainly by passengers). Maybe the waiters think "unused" silverware will help them get the amount needed for each meal since they will not get that back from the washed cutlery.

I just finished reading Cruise Confidential and in it the author stated that the dining rooms never have enough plates/glasses/silverware. According to his experience in the dining rooms of at least three different ships, the waiters are constantly taking what they need from the other stations. Evidently broken items are not replaced quickly and there is a lot of pilfering of silverware (mainly by passengers). Maybe the waiters think "unused" silverware will help them get the amount needed for each meal since they will not get that back from the washed cutlery.

I think you are absolutely right.

I read that book but had forgotten about this. Now that you mention

it, I'm sure I read that.

DW and I saw an elderly man on HAL use a fork to scratch his back, under his shirt, at the dinner table. I now wonder if they placed that fork back into the drawer.

I think you can count on that fork going back into the drawer.

One time we watched a man pick up a glass of juice at breakfast, drink it and place the glass back in the juice area. I'll bet that the staff just filled the glass thinking that they had missed it before.

So to expand on this we may possibly conclude that when we sit down to a meal in the MDR there is no guarantee that the cutlery in front of us is clean either? It could have been leftover from lunch that day or dinner the night before?

So to expand on this we may possibly conclude that when we sit down to a meal in the MDR there is no guarantee that the cutlery in front of us is clean either? It could have been leftover from lunch that day or dinner the night before?

Or if you have Open Seating on the lower level of the dining room the silverware could be from either breakfast or lunch.

Upper Level -- if you eat at the later fixed dining time you may be getting the left oversilverware from those of us who eat at the early time.

And I would venture to say that hold's true for any restaurant. ;)

Just bring your own silverware,what's a knife, spoon and a fork when you're already bringing.

cases of wine

cases of water

duct tape

power cord

and all the other crap people tote with them,

If this option won't work...simply call ships services and ask for a silverware deep cleaning:rolleyes:

Just bring your own silverware,what's a knife, spoon and a fork when you're already bringing.

cases of wine

cases of water

duct tape

power cord

and all the other crap people tote with them,

If this option won't work...simply call ships services and ask for a silverware deep cleaning:rolleyes:

Oh, but one would also have to pack plates, coffee mugs and glasses too.

I think there's a certain irony to the Code Orange for 48-hours after embarkation ... yet, MDR tableware seems to be handled in such a careless manner. Perhaps Code Orange merely is some sort of smoke and mirrors hygiene theater.

Actually we do not live in a sterile bubble. Though the issue with the silverware raises concerns have you ever thought about the:

1. Handling of salt & pepper dispensers

2. Use of spoons to serve yourself in the buffet lines

3. And on and on and on

The items above are handled by many without clean hands :eek:

A couple of years ago next to our table in the MDR were two young children and two women. The youngest (under 5?) started playing with the salt and pepper shakers and kept putting them in her mouth:eek: and banging them on the table. We did not report it but next time I see something like that I will (and we all know how clean tiny tots hands are):rolleyes:

It was mentioned that Psgrs steal Silverware..Don't understand why one would do that as it would be mismatched to their home service & it would not bring in many $$$ unless they had a complete dinner service..

I take one tablespoon of medicine at night that does not come with a measuring cup, & always borrow a soup spoon from the Lido for use during our cruise..I wash it with hot water & soap every night, but when we disembark, I leave the spoon for our Stewards to pick up..I would hope that they send it to Room Service to be washed..

Perhaps I'll bring my own spoon from now on..Plastic ones are not large enough..

Cheers...Betty

It was mentioned that Psgrs steal Silverware..Don't understand why one would do that as it would be mismatched to their home service & it would not bring in many $$$ unless they had a complete dinner service..

I take one tablespoon of medicine at night that does not come with a measuring cup, & always borrow a soup spoon from the Lido for use during our cruise..I wash it with hot water & soap every night, but when we disembark, I leave the spoon for our Stewards to pick up..I would hope that they send it to Room Service to be washed..

Perhaps I'll bring my own spoon from now on..Plastic ones are not large enough..

Cheers...Betty

This isn't a cruise but people seem to like to take anything. The company I work for had very nice silverware in the kitchens. Much of it ended up disappearing so they replaced it with cutlery that was less expensive. Several of my coworkers admitted to taking it home. One of them was a person that won a half million in the lottery. Once they realized it was at home why not bring it back. I just wonder what goes on it some peoples heads:rolleyes:. I should also mention that we are fairly well paid so that shouldn't play into it either.

A couple of years ago next to our table in the MDR were two young children and two women. The youngest (under 5?) started playing with the salt and pepper shakers and kept putting them in her mouth:eek: and banging them on the table. We did not report it but next time I see something like that I will (and we all know how clean tiny tots hands are):rolleyes:

And their parents were where?

Ate at a very nice Japanese restaurant in Atlanta, one where you sat down into a "pit" in the floor so the tables could be the traditional Japanese height from the floor. We shared the table with a young couple and her parents. We were involved in our own conversation when I heard the older woman say "well, at least you could have finished the soup before you gave me the bowl". Thought it odd but ignored it. Then I heard her say - "No I don't need any more of that size, I already have 8 of them." So, I kept an eye on her and found that she was collecting dishes from the family and sliding them into a bag under the table. Because of the configuration, no one would see the bag until she left.

Did I say/do anything, regretfully not. I was about 25 at the time, now I would somehow notify management when something was so blatant.

For serendipity 1499-

Most cough syrup bottles come packaged with plastic measuring cups. I save several of them for use with other medications. They can be marked with a Sharpie with the required dosage and reused many times. And they don't spill or drip like a spoon does!

Archived