Passport question

Sipsey

I see from the official site that you can apply for both a passport and a passport card at the same time.

But, I don't understand why anyone would want or need a card if he has a full passport.

The only reason I can think of is that the book is a bit larger and won't fit in a man's wallet.

What am I missing here?

I use my passport card as a means of identification when I don't feel like giving someone my address (as is shown on a driver's license.) I also use it with a cabin key card in several countries where agents want to see an official picture ID along with the ship's cabin card. I virtually never carry my passport book when the ship is in port. I do carry a photocopy of the picture page of the passport.

I live in Arizona and sometimes go into Mexico for the day to go shopping or to get an authentic Mexican meal and the passport card works just fine.

Scott & Karen

I see from the official site that you can apply for both a passport and a passport card at the same time.

But, I don't understand why anyone would want or need a card if he has a full passport.

The only reason I can think of is that the book is a bit larger and won't fit in a man's wallet.

What am I missing here?

The passport card was developed as a less expensive alternative to the full passport for people that live in border areas. It may be used for land crossings into Canada and Mexico and for sea ports of entry into Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda (either via closed loop or open jaw sailings). It may not be used for international air travel. There is no real need for a card if you have the book although there can be a convenience factor of carrying it versus the passport. To me the convenience wouldn't be worth the extra cost, but YMMV.

You absolutely NEED the passport book.

We also ordered the passport cards and will use them as our picture ID when in ports of call ... rather than taking a photo copy of our passports.

LuLu

~~~~

I had to renew my passport when we got home from our last cruise in April.

I did not bother to get the passport card as I always have my driver's license with me.

The new passports are the same size as the old ones -- but they are thicker with more pages.

I have a passport book and see no reason to waste the money on the passport card.

If you lived near the Canadian or Mexican (like Cave Dwelling) border, I could see having them very convenient as they fit in your wallet and you could carry them all the time. For the rest of us, a passport is the best option.

I have both. I also use the card as my photo ID here in The States. I don't drive so I don't have a driver's license; the local state's ID card is only valid for 5 years while the passport card is good for 10. A few times a sales clerk in various places wanted another photo ID, he didn't think that was real (probably never saw one before). A supervisor or manager was always available to straighten things out. Mostly though it's been, "oh, I've never seen one of these before".

You absolutely NEED the passport book.

We also ordered the passport cards and will use them as our picture ID when in ports of call ... rather than taking a photo copy of our passports.

LuLu

~~~~

:rolleyes: I haven't NEEDED a passport book once in my 47 years of life (including 9 cruises). I did purchase one recently because I WANTED it for my October cruise due to changing risk factors in my life. Whether I will NEED it or not is yet to seen. I did not however purchase the passport card. IMHO it was not worth the money for us.

I am getting ready to renew my passport, and have decided I will get both the book and the card. It's only an extra $30. I like the idea of having the card to use as ID when onshore in Europe. Much more convenient, and, I feel, safer, that taking the book in those ports where one is required to take their passport when going ashore. I would much prefer to leave the book in the cabin safe.

:rolleyes: I haven't NEEDED a passport book once in my 47 years of life (including 9 cruises). I did purchase one recently because I WANTED it for my October cruise due to changing risk factors in my life. Whether I will NEED it or not is yet to seen. I did not however purchase the passport card. IMHO it was not worth the money for us.

Surprising the number of people that never want to see a foreign county and are happy with some islands that are all the same.

Surprising the number of people that never want to see a foreign county and are happy with some islands that are all the same.

Nobody ever said they never wanted to see a foreign country. But if your immediate plans only involve closed loop cruises then you do not NEED to purchase a passport :rolleyes: . You may WANT to, but you don't NEED to.

Who said anything about never wanting to see a foreign country?

The majority of people that take cruises to the Caribbean don't ever get beyond the same old islands. And the vast majority of people never travel outside the USA. These are just facts.

here we go again.. if you want one but don't need it, it's your money get one if you want while going to the trouble I would certainly get both for the extra $30

Exactly! It's only $30 extra.

Had much rather take this for photo ID on port stops than a passport book, drivers license, or copy of passport. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Renew now! Most countries require that a passport be valid for at least 6 months. They want to be sure that a visitor would be able to return to the US after their visit.:D

my boys' passports will expire 10 days AFTER we return from our next cruise. Is that "ok" or should I quickly send them in for renewal???

Depends on where you are going. With some destinations, the cruise line won't let you board with that short a remaining valid passport.

Why did you have to start THIS? Whatever you do, do not reply to the reactions which are certain to follow this challenge ---- let it go, let it die.

The majority of people that take cruises to the Caribbean don't ever get beyond the same old islands. And the vast majority of people never travel outside the USA. These are just facts.

And I know a lot more people who don't take cruises or travel internationally at all and are lucky if they get a chance to travel out of Michigan than those that have even taken a cruise or been out of the country. I feel extremely blessed to do the traveling I do both on closed loop cruises and domestic land travel. Everyone makes their vacation choices based on their wants and their budget. We have enjoyed all of our choices to date and have not needed nor wanted to travel anywhere that required a passport. Yet out of all our 9 cruises only one did not contain a new port for us...and we chose that one for the ship. Our land vacations have taken us to many great places across this vast country we live in...none of which needed a passport.

I will never rule out travel that will require a passport....but do I need it to have a great vacation or do I feel like we have missed out on anything...absolutely not. In fact DH and I now have passports because our risk factors increased to the point where we thought the value was worth the cost for us. But having those passports has not increased my desire to travel to international places that require them. There are so many places that closed loop cruises go that I still have on my wish list, even with cruises 10 and 11 booked (that both have places we haven't been to yet). I still wish to see Bermuda, Hawaii, Alaska, Aruba, Mexican Riviera... There is more than just the Caribbean for closed-loop cruises and quite frankly, I haven't found all the Caribbean Islands to be the same. I also have a lot of Domestic Land Vacations on my wish list like Route 66, the Northeast Atlantic coast, Northern California, Phoenix, Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc. But that's us. You desire something different from your vacations. There is nothing wrong with either of our choices.

Archived