Live on Board the Riviera 6/6/2013

surfyachtie

I agree

There is a certain sleaze factor associated with these shipboard art auctions -- and it is made worse when the CD promotes them and tells you what "wonderful buys" are available.

This is the last ever for me and art auctions, I promise!! Oceania has them and we enjoy to go and see the stuff and talk to the art people so it is a win win for us.

I am shocked that a person that seems to really feel attached to Oceania would accuse them of putting people on their ships to defraud the pass and then having the CD take part in it also.

Shocked. I'm the one who is shocked by your gross misrepresentation of what i posted

Defraud is your word, not mine. I have made no accusations vs the cruise line re fraud. The art auctioneers -- who knows.

But we all know the history and reputation of these on board auctions. There is a historical sleaze factor. Oceania isn't going to guarantee that the art work is a good buy. Why have the cd say that ?

IMO announce the auctions without attesting to the great values would be a much smarter move

IMO announce the auctions without attesting to the great values would be a much smarter move

Better yet, why not have CD make no announcements at all, except for urgent/emergency matters.

We can all read the daily program and we know what's happening when and where - don't need to be guided and reminded like first graders :)

JMO

Shocked. I'm the one who is shocked by your gross misrepresentation of what i posted

Defraud is your word, not mine. I have made no accusations vs the cruise line re fraud. The art auctioneers -- who knows.

But we all know the history and reputation of these on board auctions. There is a historical sleaze factor. Oceania isn't going to guarantee that the art work is a good buy. Why have the cd say that ?

I for one feel that when I board a cruise ship I can trust ALL the sub contractors the line has allowed onboard to interface with the pass. How can I know if the gift shop is selling fake jewely or knockoff perfume. The art fake or the spa manned by impersonators? I trust the line or I do not, if I do not I would go to another but that is just me!

[quote name=hypercafe;

I for one feel that when I board a cruise ship I can trust ALL the sub contractors the line has allowed onboard to interface with the pass. How can I know if the gift shop is selling fake jewely or knockoff perfume. The art fake or the spa manned by impersonators? I trust the line or I do not' date=' if I do not I would go to another but that is just me![/quote]

I am astounded. Really.

Everything on a ship is way overpriced and available elsewhere for less.

Duty free doesn't mean discounted.

20% or even 30% off the highest possible retail price is probably no bargain in the world we live in. 20% off a watch that is routinely available for 40% off retail is a ripoff.

My husband's daughter is a jeweler -- owner of a huge jewelry store that specializes in diamonds and watches. When we cruise together we check out the jewelry and watches just for laughs. The prices are ridiculous.

I am not referring to fakes. I am referring to significantly overpaying. I am sure if they say it's a diamond, it's a diamond. But I am also sure that you will be paying through the nose if you buy it in a boutique on a ship.

The only items worth purchasing IMO are those from designers who come on board with their own unique products. Oceania has had several of those on my recent cruises. I hope that continues. I have actually remained in contact with two of the designers and one is coming to Tucson and the other will meet me in Egypt next February.

Recently there was a thread on the Celebrity boards where a woman complained that she bought a Guess bag and got home only to find she overpaid by a lot. DUH. She complained that the ship told her it was a good deal. She was flamed.

Sorry -- but these vendors are not there to give you a good deal. They have a captive audience, on vacation, some with shipboard credits, some entranced by the romance of being on the ship and buying something special and they want to make a buck. They are not doing you any favors. They do not need repeat customers. They can overcharge you and not care if they ever see you again because they probably won't. You are way too trusting.

Not everything is overpriced

DH saw a watch he wanted but thought he could get a better price at home

Surprise the ship actually had the better price

So I guess the moral of the story is to know what you are buying & the price at home...then you can make an informed decision

Found some of the designer jewelry pretty gaudy....I prefer a more subtle style.. but that is just me

It is a personal choice

Lyn

Depends where home is

I respectfully disagree

Everything is overpriced

I am an Olympic gold medal shopper lol

There are no bargains on any ship

I never said it was a bargain but it was less than we could buy it here

You are entitled to your opinion

Lyn

Try the Internet

It will be cheaper

Especially watches

In fact I recommend checking prices on the Internet while on the ship before buying anything. It's an eye opener

We are all entitled to our opinions.

Ok to disagree too

There is a big difference between the shop and the spa where things are clearly priced and the auctions where costs are artificially hyped by sly auctioneers. And if by any slim chance there is a decent work of art aboard it always has a bottom line price at the auction which exceeds its true value.

I never said it was a bargain but it was less than we could buy it here

You are entitled to your opinion

Lyn

I have to agree. I have purchased some jewellery on board and found it reasonable to what I can buy here. But for me, it is about the memento, so I really don't care if I could have saved a few dollars by shopping around. Every time I check the time, I relive my experience. That is worth it to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have to agree. I have purchased some jewellery on board and found it reasonable to what I can buy here. But for me, it is about the memento, so I really don't care if I could have saved a few dollars by shopping around. Every time I check the time, I relive my experience. That is worth it to me.

Also buying from internet sites in the USA costs us Canadians more in the long run with the shipping & customs/duty fees broker fees (in some cases) ;)

Lyn

Depends where home is

I respectfully disagree

Everything is overpriced

I am an Olympic gold medal shopper lol

There are no bargains on any ship

Actually some alcohol is a real bargain compared to retail prices in the US. Of course prices vary state by state but for the most part it's a better deal on ships or duty free shops in port.

Actually some alcohol is a real bargain compared to retail prices in the US. Of course prices vary state by state but for the most part it's a better deal on ships or duty free shops in port.

With respect to alcohol, call me clueless. We do not drink much.

But can't believe it's cheaper than Costco (of course Costco has a limited selection).

When I compare prices in general, I don't compare to retail prices since I rarely pay retail for anything nowadays. There's too much competition out there. It's easy to beat retail.

None of this matters. Buy what you want and enjoy it. If it's alcohol, drink it!

There is a big difference between the shop and the spa where things are clearly priced and the auctions where costs are artificially hyped by sly auctioneers. And if by any slim chance there is a decent work of art aboard it always has a bottom line price at the auction which exceeds its true value.

That sums it up quite accurately IMO.

Come to think of it I don't remember Oceania having alcohol in the on board shops. Anyone know for sure?

surfyachtie,

Are you saying that if you bought a Mercedes for $100,000 and something went wrong you wouldn't complain to the dealership because you expect everything to be perfect? The true test of a good product is how they handle matter is something goes wrong which they cannot do if they are not aware of the problem.

I have to agree. Sometimes things go wrong - if you don't raise the issue how can it be corrected? In my book, how problems are resolved is far more important than whether something goes wrong.

Just want to put in my two cents. Many of us do not care for art auctions, however, Oceania (and Regent) make a lot of money from having them on board. If passengers did not purchase the "art", the auctions would go away.

Yes -- it is a given that we overpay for spa treatments and things offered in the boutiques - but, many of the items are purchased with onboard credits. Again, Oceania makes money from these things. I do not believe for one moment that anything sold onboard Oceania or Regent is not what they say it is. The only time we shop onboard is when we have OBC's and we have purchased some great souveniers!

Archived