Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

I took photos of the pools on sea days at mid-day and they looked like this. As I said, some of the complaints about this ship are legit (ex: lack of promenade deck, no central staircase, no outside cabins) but the "no loungers in the shade by the pool" one was way over-hyped!

I was the OP who started the thread asking that question because someone on our Roll Call actually cancelled the cruise because she had a friend on the cruise before yours who told her that.

We also like loungers in the shade but I just decided we'd book the Sanctuary instead.

Dave...you will be VERY glad you booked as a B to B. No kidding, it took me two to three days before I really got accustomed to her layout, and I am pretty familiar with Princess ships. But we started off with four ports in a row full day stops, so not as much chance to explore.

Where is your cabin, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Carole!

Even though I have literally memorized the ship from bow to stern and top to bottom, I'm still going to thoroughly enjoy discovering all of the ships public spaces in 'Real 3D'. I'll have six full sea days on the B2B to enjoy her and experience Royal Princess with everyone aboard instead of ashore for part of the day. That's also the beauty of this itinerary is that since I did it last year I have no plans of getting off the ship even on port days, that way I can enjoy a half-empty ship.

As for my cabin, it is on Caribe Deck and exactly half way between the middle and forward elevators. I'm already bringing a stop watch so I can 'time' the amid ship elevators. lol ;) Even last year on Ruby Princess I found myself walking all the way aft numerous times (and my cabin was in the exact same location) so I'm prepared for both waiting, and walking. I'm on vacation...no worries, no stress, no problem.

:D

I love your attitude, Dave. We are the same type of travelers...we roll with the punches knowing that something is going to go wrong and something will not live up to your expectations, but many things will surpass your expectations and there will be some wonderful surprises that you never anticipate.

Caribe Deck should be just fine...especially if you are not far from front staircase!!

I love your attitude, Dave. We are the same type of travelers...we roll with the punches knowing that something is going to go wrong and something will not live up to your expectations, but many things will surpass your expectations and there will be some wonderful surprises that you never anticipate.

I think most of all I am looking forward to the morning of December 1st, when I walk from my hotel down to the 17th Street bridge in Fort Lauderdale and at sunrise see Royal Princess for the first time with my own eyes. I'm sure it will be (go ahead and roll your eyes ;)) a very emotional moment for me personally. All those 'firsts' are simply going to be amazing. And as I have said time and time again, I have my expectations in check. But I'll have 2 weeks to relax and enjoy everything she has to offer at a nice leisurely pace (except when I 'timing' the amid ship elevators). :D

I think I might not get off the ship at all on my cruise. I've been to these islands so many times and seen most of what might interest me. The Royal Princess however, is all new and lovely.:D

I'm only half tempted to get off in St. Thomas when we dock at Havensite on the second week to get an aerial picture of her from the top of Paradise Point. After that it's back to the ship and some Trident Grill hamburgers followed by something from Gelato! :D

As a side note, you'll be docked in Crown Bay for the January 29th St. Thomas port visit.

I think most of all I am looking forward to the morning of December 1st, when I walk from my hotel down to the 17th Street bridge in Fort Lauderdale and at sunrise see Royal Princess for the first time with my own eyes. I'm sure it will be (go ahead and roll your eyes ;)) a very emotional moment for me personally. All those 'firsts' are simply going to be amazing. And as I have said time and time again, I have my expectations in check. But I'll have 2 weeks to relax and enjoy everything she has to offer at a nice leisurely pace (except when I 'timing' the amid ship elevators). :D

Hi Dave... it won't be long now... 4 months from today... till we are walking on board the beautiful Royal Princess... Thank you again for all the excitement you generated about this ship... Your pictures, knowledge, and helpful information were priceless.....

And don't worry about extra money in your drink account.... Don't forget all the cruisers who are buying you drinks (including us), as our way of thanking you for all you have done...

See you soon.. Bob and Jackie

Dave...the ship felt like "home" to us. We like to sit with a cup of coffee and relax and people watch, and the Piazza felt like a little town center to us. The little girls couldn't wait to come back "home" every day!

I love the idea of having a morning cappuccino there at 6am. And I have the feeling I'll be spending a LOT of time in the Piazza and atrium, especially since there is so much more to see and do when compared to my cruise last year on Ruby Princess. Don't get me wrong, Ruby Princess was pretty, just that the atrium felt closed in and everything in the atrium felt 'smallish'. From the pictures I've seen of Royal Princess all of the atrium venues (Vines, International Cafe, Crooners) are twice the size (or bigger) than the comparable spaces on Ruby, plus there are a lot more seating areas, as well as dining (Alfredo's, etc) and Piazza entertainment options to keep me busy.

Hi Dave... it won't be long now... 4 months from today... till we are walking on board the beautiful Royal Princess... Thank you again for all the excitement you generated about this ship... Your pictures, knowledge, and helpful information were priceless.....

And don't worry about extra money in your drink account.... Don't forget all the cruisers who are buying you drinks (including us), as our way of thanking you for all you have done...

See you soon.. Bob and Jackie

Sooooo excited. It's going to be fun! I rarely drink but for these two weeks I'll most definitely make an exception. Want to have at least one adult beverage ;) at every bar on the ship, even more at Bellini's. I've pretty much decided to be at the Outrigger Bar for Sail Away just to be able to start the cruise off with a drink in my hand instead of a camera! :eek::D

I'm only half tempted to get off in St. Thomas when we dock at Havensite on the second week to get an aerial picture of her from the top of Paradise Point. After that it's back to the ship and some Trident Grill hamburgers followed by something from Gelato! :D

As a side note, you'll be docked in Crown Bay for the January 29th St. Thomas port visit.

Dave...the ship felt like "home" to us. We like to sit with a cup of coffee and relax and people watch, and the Piazza felt like a little town center to us. The little girls couldn't wait to come back "home" every day!

Oh, if we're at Crown Bay, then we might be tempted to do the short walk to Emerald Bay to get into the water to swim. It's only a 15 minute walk so we could easily be back on board the Royal for lunch.

Carole, we'll probably be the same. On all the ships with the IC, we start our mornings there, with our coffee/tea and our egg sandwiches with something sweet to end breakfast just perfectly. Much of the day on and off we spend reading in the Piazza people watching. Love the Piazza, and I suspect we'll love the Royal's Piazza even more. :D

Sooooo excited. It's going to be fun! I rarely drink but for these two weeks I'll most definitely make an exception. Want to have at least one adult beverage ;) at every bar on the ship, even more at Bellini's. I've pretty much decided to be at the Outrigger Bar for Sail Away just to be able to start the cruise off with a drink in my hand instead of a camera! :eek::D

The bar at the back end outside of the Horizon Court is a fabulous place for views. These back tables and couches are great too.

The bar at the back end outside of the Horizon Court is a fabulous place for views. These back tables and couches are great too.

I have the Outrigger Bar down on my list too for some of those made to order burritos, flautas, fajitas, and some salsa with chips.

Keep an eye out for us on the Fort Lauderdale live cam. I'm sure we won't be wearing featured boas lol but we'll be waving like crazy!!!

And the best part is when I get back from this B2B, the countdown for my cruise on Regal Princess officially beings. :D

I have the Outrigger Bar down on my list too for some of those made to order burritos, flautas, fajitas, and some salsa with chips.

Keep an eye out for us on the Fort Lauderdale live cam. I'm sure we won't be wearing featured boas lol but we'll be waving like crazy!!!

And the best part is when I get back from this B2B, the countdown for my cruise on Regal Princess officially beings. :D

I wonder what changes if any, Princess will make to the Regal. There are always minor little things like the decor, but I wonder if they will introduce anything new for the Regal? I hope they do.

I wonder what changes if any, Princess will make to the Regal. There are always minor little things like the decor, but I wonder if they will introduce anything new for the Regal? I hope they do.

I can't imagine a whole lot of changes between the two ships other than some minor decor differences, art, and upholstering of the soft furnishings. And unless they ditch Princess Live! (which seems unlikely) most all public spaces should be pretty much the same. I'm guessing they will be more alike than different.

Could you do an arrow to our cabin on the 2/2/14 cruise? We are in C414, one of the mini suites with the larger balcony. Has anyone posted an actual photo of how much larger these balconies are?

Hi FL Cruising Grandma!

I'm away from my laptop (typing away on my iPhone) and will make sure to put together an 'arrow' for you tonight after I get to work at 11pm. :D Hopefully I'll have it done and posted before you call it a night.

Are the made to order burritos, flautas, fajitas, and some salsa with chips available from the outrigger bar, or someplace else? Available all the time?

We are supposed to be on the Royal right now but flight problems in Philadelphia caused us to miss our connection to Venice and the flight the next evening would have put us in to Venice too late to catch the ship.

:(

Hope everyone is having a good time. Toast the sunset for us.

We are supposed to be on the Royal right now but flight problems in Philadelphia caused us to miss our connection to Venice and the flight the next evening would have put us in to Venice too late to catch the ship.

This is so sad! I am sorry for you. This is every cruiser's worst nightmare.

That is a terrible situation, sorry to hear that you've missed the ship. That is probably everyone's nightmare around here.

Dave, Thank you for your efforts on keeping everyone updated on the "New Royal".

I have been reading your posts for the past few months and it makes my day.

I have avoided doing this but have finally given in and going to ask for an "arrow" if you get a chance.

We have 3 rooms L230/L232/L234 and sailing on Feb. 16th.

Funny side note; we always book on the top to decks but now we will have to go to the Skywalk to look down at people on their balconies. People now get MORE privecy and they still complain.

Could you do an arrow to our cabin on the 2/2/14 cruise? We are in C414, one of the mini suites with the larger balcony. Has anyone posted an actual photo of how much larger these balconies are?

Here are two pictures, one of the general area and one from underneath. I hope these are OK?

9420656308_0488ae9eaf_c.jpg

9420656350_c0331c4974_z.jpg

And an example of what it looks like a little closer. Yours is the same just a few decks higher. The one shown with the arrow is not your cabin but in the exact same location (aft of the 'point') so it will be the same size.

9417948167_e7e0e33048_b.jpg

Archived