Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

The ship is very smooth, as others have stated. I don't know what was done to make it so smooth, but there are many times you have to look out a window to realize you are moving.

We had an odd odor, sort of like a chemical adhesive smell, in our hallway (deck 15 forward port side) for the first few days. Then noticed the maintainence crew working on the A/C unit a few feet down the hall. After that the odor went away. I haven't noticed the smell anywhere else on the ship, though the maintainence crew (the people in green uniforms) are around the ship a lot the last few days, in and out of cabins, working in cabinets along the hallways, etc.

We have both noticed very short waits for elevators, even in the mid-ship elevators where there are no additional stairs, it seems like the wait times are very short. Inside the elevators, there are buttons on only one side. I seem to always guess the wrong when getting on. It would have been nice to have them on both sides. Keeps you from having to reach across through a crowd of people to select your floor.

As has been previously mentioned, the crew has been great, very happy and helpful. Having been on the Ruby 7 months ago, we have been amazed with the number of crew that have come from the Ruby., including 4 waiters we had in Sabatini's.

We have walked passed the Retreat Pool a few times now and have seen at least two cabanas available each time. We're not big pool people, but it doesn't seem too intrusive having the cabanas up against the pool.

The ship does not feel crowded at all to us. We have had short waits or no waits at all at just about every venue. We have been able to walk into either the early or late shows in the Princess Theater 5 minutes before show time and find a great seats (center seats mid way up.)

Best food we have had so far would be the ravioli in Alfrado's., probably because neither of us were expecting to be impressed by it. We've been back a couple of times now to make sure it wasn't a fluke :)

Gelato is a really nice addition, especially being right off of the Atrium. A great place to sit and have a sundae or a cone while watching the activities in the Atrium. Crepes are available on Sea days between 2 and 4 PM.

The TVs are flaky. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I'm sure they will get the issues worked out, but right now it's kind of a hit or miss if they will work when you press the power button.

DW stopped in Celebrations. 90% of it is candy and about 10% is flowers and other gift items. They have fudge for sale by the piece at the counter, which is what she picked up. Since it was gone before we made it back to the cabin, I'm guessing it was acceptable quality :)

DW has been using the gym. She's been using the recumbent bikes and has enjoyed them quite a bit. Only once so far has the gym been so crowded that she had to wait (less than 5 minutes she said) to get to a machine.

We've signed up for the ship tour on the last sea day. There are currently 7 people on the list, they take a total of 12.. It should be with fun and interesting.

Thanks again for your new notes and updates. Here is a hint to help when using the elevators, that is if there are mirrored walls in the elevator. Just look in the mirror as you walk in and you can see which side the buttons are on. If someone is blocking access to the buttons, they will most likely push your button if you ask. :D

Lynn & Rob! Thanks for the detailed report. We really appreciate getting an "inside" view of what's going on. I feel like my sailing is next decade!! :-( I have to wait until 10/29 before my first boarding! Ah, but what a cruise it will be, thanks to so much great feedback from all of the great feedback from current and past cruisers!!

Larry

The ship is very smooth, as others have stated. I don't know what was done to make it so smooth, but there are many times you have to look out a window to realize you are moving.

We had an odd odor, sort of like a chemical adhesive smell, in our hallway (deck 15 forward port side) for the first few days. Then noticed the maintainence crew working on the A/C unit a few feet down the hall. After that the odor went away. I haven't noticed the smell anywhere else on the ship, though the maintainence crew (the people in green uniforms) are around the ship a lot the last few days, in and out of cabins, working in cabinets along the hallways, etc.

We have both noticed very short waits for elevators, even in the mid-ship elevators where there are no additional stairs, it seems like the wait times are very short. Inside the elevators, there are buttons on only one side. I seem to always guess the wrong when getting on. It would have been nice to have them on both sides. Keeps you from having to reach across through a crowd of people to select your floor.

As has been previously mentioned, the crew has been great, very happy and helpful. Having been on the Ruby 7 months ago, we have been amazed with the number of crew that have come from the Ruby., including 4 waiters we had in Sabatini's.

We have walked passed the Retreat Pool a few times now and have seen at least two cabanas available each time. We're not big pool people, but it doesn't seem too intrusive having the cabanas up against the pool.

The ship does not feel crowded at all to us. We have had short waits or no waits at all at just about every venue. We have been able to walk into either the early or late shows in the Princess Theater 5 minutes before show time and find a great seats (center seats mid way up.)

Best food we have had so far would be the ravioli in Alfrado's., probably because neither of us were expecting to be impressed by it. We've been back a couple of times now to make sure it wasn't a fluke :)

Gelato is a really nice addition, especially being right off of the Atrium. A great place to sit and have a sundae or a cone while watching the activities in the Atrium. Crepes are available on Sea days between 2 and 4 PM.

The TVs are flaky. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I'm sure they will get the issues worked out, but right now it's kind of a hit or miss if they will work when you press the power button.

DW stopped in Celebrations. 90% of it is candy and about 10% is flowers and other gift items. They have fudge for sale by the piece at the counter, which is what she picked up. Since it was gone before we made it back to the cabin, I'm guessing it was acceptable quality :)

DW has been using the gym. She's been using the recumbent bikes and has enjoyed them quite a bit. Only once so far has the gym been so crowded that she had to wait (less than 5 minutes she said) to get to a machine.

We've signed up for the ship tour on the last sea day. There are currently 7 people on the list, they take a total of 12.. It should be with fun and interesting.

Sounds like you're having a great cruise! Looking forward to hearing about the ship tour. Was there a charge for the crepes?

In the bazaars at Kusadasi and Istanbul is it necessary to have Turkish Lira? If so, where are ATMs in Kusadasi? We go to

Kusadasi first then Istanbul.

It seems to me that if haggling is expected it should be done in local currency not credit cards..perhaps I'm wrong.

Any tips on shopping and currency in these two ports would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ann

Hi Ann

Been to k a few times but have never bought just to much hassle to get price down what ever you do never pay the price tag price if there is one and never buy from the first shop the next shop keeper will offer you the same or a better price there are shops within the port in k lots of fake goods on sale but leather etc can be cheap in Istanbul we have found quality to be better and shop keepers less aggressive most aggressive shop keepers l have ever found have been in k

Have always used cash if using dollars watch the rate some shops offer good rate as they want dollars others give you a very poor rate what ever you do watch out for pick pockets do not carry any more cash than you need have a good cruise Istanbul is an amazing city

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

In the bazaars at Kusadasi and Istanbul is it necessary to have Turkish Lira? If so, where are ATMs in Kusadasi? We go to

Kusadasi first then Istanbul.

It seems to me that if haggling is expected it should be done in local currency not credit cards..perhaps I'm wrong.

Any tips on shopping and currency in these two ports would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ann

Nowhere do you need TL except for the restroom. The one outside the Bazaar in Istanbul is one lira.

I don't think so. Just asked the DW, who has been using the fitness center, she does not recall seeing one. There are steam rooms and saunas in the Enclave.

Lynn and Rob.

Since your wife has been using the fitness center, I am wondering if she could check on the following:

Are people respecting the walk/jog lanes on the Walk/Jog Track and if everybody is going in the same direction. Also, is there any congestion from people using the outdoor fitness stations?

Also, what fitness classes including morning stretch are listed in the Patter and what times?

Are a lot of seminars held in the Aerobics room?

Have people been able to independently work out in the Aerobics room?

Are there the same vegetarian entrees in the MDR as on other Princess ships?

Thanks.

Lyn & Rob. Thanks so much for all the info. Now I have added Ravioli from Alfredo's to my list. :D:D

Is Gelato a separate spot near the IC now?:)

If you click on this link you'll find some pictures of Gelato at the end of that page and beginning of the next one... :D

http://www.cruisetricks.de/galerie/index.php/royal-princess/Restaurants?page=4

This is a manufacturers description:

To summon steam, you simply hit the digital controls in the shower stall. That triggers an electric valve to fill the breadbox-size steam generator with about a gallon of cold water. Then, just like a plug-in teakettle, the generator's electric element brings the water to a boil. A pipe channels the hot vapor to the steam head, or disperser, which fills the stall with tropical moisture that never gets above a safe 118 degrees Fahrenheit.

Maybe if someone on an upcoming cruise can take a picture of what these steam showers in the Fitness Center look like that would be great! :D

And the Tram and the Cisterns only take TL. Also I believe the gift shop at Topaki.

Never took public transportation, but that of course is logical. Cistern visit was with group; prepaid. Credit cards work for me and if I must have cash, I usually don't need to buy whatever impulse purchase it was going to be. ;)

Never took public transportation, but that of course is logical. Cistern visit was with group; prepaid. Credit cards work for me and if I must have cash, I usually don't need to buy whatever impulse purchase it was going to be. ;)

The only reason I remember the gift shop was a friend wanted the book about the treasury and couldn't buy it because she didn't have an TL. The Cisterns I was trying to accommodate people in the line that only had Euros...I think I actually lost money that day ;)

Maybe if someone on an upcoming cruise can take a picture of what these steam showers in the Fitness Center look like that would be great! :D

Note to Anthony Weiner: no pictures from you. thanks.

Which dining rooms are used for Traditional dining? Are there many tables for 2?

Thank you.

I believe Allegro on 6 aft is for traditional, and from the deck plans it appears to have many tables for 2.

Captain Tony Draper has handed over the reigns of the Royal to a new captain, Dino Sagani. Captain Tony is taking a couple of months off but will be back at the helm in I believe October?

DW and I had the Champaign breakfast this morning. We've done UBD a couple of times in the past on the Island and Crown and wanted to try the breakfast. I have some pretty good pictures of what it is like on the Royal balconies (normal size balcony.) We both felt it worked well for two people. They use the table that is already in the balcony, not sure if they bring a bigger one for dinner, but I can't imagine they do since I don't know where they would put the the table that's already there. For those who have had the opportunity to sail in a suite, as we were able to do our last cruise, one of the best and probably most surprising benefits (at least to us) was breakfast at Sabatini's My DW became addicted to the Sabatini's eggs benedict. Of course this cruise she would walk past Sabatini's in the morning on her way to IC with a long sigh, knowing that the Sabatini's eggs benedict was just out of reach (yes, eggs benedict is available elsewhere on board, but I've been told by DW that it's not the same.) However…if you order the Champaign breakfast, you can substitute the eggs benedict from Sabatini's! My DW was very happy this morning :)

Other misc. notes….

As I think was previously mentioned, you need to make sure the min-fridg door is closed all the way before closing the cabinet door. There's been a couple of times I have not closed it tight enough and then closed the cabinet door only to discover later that things get quite warm in there. When the door is closed properly, it stays quite cool, maybe the coolest mini-fidg I've used.

I think the Princess Live venue has been a great addition. Besides the Wake Show, which we've attended a couple of times, they have some of the trivia games in there as well. Last night they had a murder mystery "The Danger Hour" with Dan Danger (Dan Appleby.) It was set up as a talk show host who dies during his talk show. Since Princess Live is already set up as a talk show stage, it fit real well. I'm sure they will find a lot of other interesting uses for Princess Live in the future as well.

Still working on the pictures. Tried uploading to my Flickr account, but the upload was failing. Will try again later today. Time to head off to Bingo and then onto the Ship Tour! Dinner at Sabatini's tonight :)

Still working on the pictures. Tried uploading to my Flickr account, but the upload was failing. Will try again later today. Time to head off to Bingo and then onto the Ship Tour! Dinner at Sabatini's tonight :)

Hi Lynn and Rob,

No rush on the pictures as I'm sure we can wait a few more days after you get back. THANKS again for the great updates. Enjoy your last couple of days on Royal Princess.

:)

Archived