Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

Captain Tony Draper has handed over the reigns of the Royal to a new captain, Dino Sagani. Captain Tony is taking a couple of months off but will be back at the helm in I believe October?

DW and I had the Champaign breakfast this morning. We've done UBD a couple of times in the past on the Island and Crown and wanted to try the breakfast. I have some pretty good pictures of what it is like on the Royal balconies (normal size balcony.) We both felt it worked well for two people. They use the table that is already in the balcony, not sure if they bring a bigger one for dinner, but I can't imagine they do since I don't know where they would put the the table that's already there. For those who have had the opportunity to sail in a suite, as we were able to do our last cruise, one of the best and probably most surprising benefits (at least to us) was breakfast at Sabatini's My DW became addicted to the Sabatini's eggs benedict. Of course this cruise she would walk past Sabatini's in the morning on her way to IC with a long sigh, knowing that the Sabatini's eggs benedict was just out of reach (yes, eggs benedict is available elsewhere on board, but I've been told by DW that it's not the same.) However…if you order the Champaign breakfast, you can substitute the eggs benedict from Sabatini's! My DW was very happy this morning :)

Other misc. notes….

As I think was previously mentioned, you need to make sure the min-fridg door is closed all the way before closing the cabinet door. There's been a couple of times I have not closed it tight enough and then closed the cabinet door only to discover later that things get quite warm in there. When the door is closed properly, it stays quite cool, maybe the coolest mini-fidg I've used.

I think the Princess Live venue has been a great addition. Besides the Wake Show, which we've attended a couple of times, they have some of the trivia games in there as well. Last night they had a murder mystery "The Danger Hour" with Dan Danger (Dan Appleby.) It was set up as a talk show host who dies during his talk show. Since Princess Live is already set up as a talk show stage, it fit real well. I'm sure they will find a lot of other interesting uses for Princess Live in the future as well.

Still working on the pictures. Tried uploading to my Flickr account, but the upload was failing. Will try again later today. Time to head off to Bingo and then onto the Ship Tour! Dinner at Sabatini's tonight :)

Enjoy Sabatinis:) Looking forward to seeing your pictures.....:):):)

Bob

We used the international Cafe on Level 5 as our meeting place. After everyone was there we headed to the nearest departure exit as a group. Some people also used that meeting place to grab a quick bit or cup of coffee.

We used the international Cafe on Level 5 as our meeting place. After everyone was there we headed to the nearest departure exit as a group. Some people also used that meeting place to grab a quick bit or cup of coffee.

That is probably where our gang will meet.:D I will definitely need my coffee for the early morning starts.:eek: can you take the coffee off of the ship with you?

lynn and rob, thanks for the info about the balconies. We will have one of the smaller ones and have decided we don't care. Now about that bigger table, maybe they could throw the smaller one overboard and leave the bigger one?:rolleyes:

That is probably where our gang will meet.:D I will definitely need my coffee for the early morning starts.:eek: can you take the coffee off of the ship with you?

I have been stopped when trying to take coffee from the ship. Don't know if that always happens though.

George

I think the Princess Live venue has been a great addition. Besides the Wake Show, which we've attended a couple of times, they have some of the trivia games in there as well.

How well does that venue work with trivia with the fixed seating and no table to write on?

On other ships, chairs can be arranged so team members can face each other and a table is always available.

Hi all

If you go to you tube there are a good number of videos posted about the Royal most are not by CC folks so nice to hear others views

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Lynn & Rob!! << Captain Tony Draper has handed over the reigns of the Royal to a new captain, Dino Sagani. Captain Tony is taking a couple of months off but will be back at the helm in I believe October? >>

Thanks for another very interesting report!! I sure hope Capt. Tony gets back for my cruise in October 29th. I'd like to shake his hand and congratulate him for one of the shortest, most meaningful statements during the christening of his ship! "Your highness, would you christen my ship?" SEVEN most powerful words spoken that day, only rivaled by Duchess Kate's "Bless this ship and all who sail on her!" So you see, all the other pomp and circumstance was just so much "fluff," if you will. Isn't it amazing how much meaning can be compacted into just a few well chosen words? It was a marvelous ceremony!

;)

I have been stopped when trying to take coffee from the ship. Don't know if that always happens though.

George

Not being a Maritime Lawyer nor an FDA inspector, I'm going out on a limb here. But I think it is prohibited to take anything like food or plants from one environment to another without a full and complete inspection of said object(s). Something to do with potential introducing of plant virus causing spread of vegetation disease. I seem to remember during past cruises that they always reminded us that we CANNOT bring fruit from the breakfast table with us when we disembark on a ShorEx. You can always give it the good old college try! The worst they can do is take it from you and put it in the trash! :rolleyes:

George

And the buses usually don't allow food and drink.

Aside from this, have wine purchases been allowed on board at the ports? Did you have to pay $15 per bottle? I seem to remember that someone asked this earlier but must have missed a response.

George

Being an early morning caffeine addict I'm an expert on this topic. ;)

Princess has always allowed me to take my coffee with me when getting off at a docked port. They DO NOT allow me to take it on the tenders.

Strangely, Celebrity has no problem with my taking coffee on their tenders, though.

And the buses usually don't allow food and drink.

Aside from this, have wine purchases been allowed on board at the ports? Did you have to pay $15 per bottle? I seem to remember that someone asked this earlier but must have missed a response.

First a quick confirmation of the per bottle fee! That corkage fee is only applied if you decide to open and drink YOUR OWN wine in a PUBLIC area of the ship. You can drink all of your own wine free of charge in your cabin. You may purchase wine in the ports and bring it onboard, but Security will take it from you, give you a receipt and lock it up until the evening before debarkation at which time it will be delivered to your cabin. That said, I would advise EVERY person sailing on ANY ship, to carefully READ your passage contract. Princess' contract has changed (as far as the wine clause is concerned) no less than 3 times in as many years. Back when it stated only that "some passengers have been known to bring their own wine aboard," then stated the corkage fee about a charge if opened and consumed in a public area. Then Princess figured out that the passengers were "getting wise to the wording" of that contract, and changed it. The most recent change states that bringing wine aboard "is limited to one 750 ml bottle of wine per passenger per cruise."

I would STRONGLY advise all passengers to download, print, and read the passage contract for each and every cruise they book! It can save you some embarrassing moments, believe me!:rolleyes:

Please do NOT take this post as "scolding" because that is the last thing I'd want to be accused of. I am merely trying to shine a light on what your true and legal rights are, and that they are included in your passage contract. I know that none of you here would purchase a house or a car or a rental cabin in the Ozarks without reading and understanding the contract. Why do it on a cruise ship?? :confused: With all due respect, I remain

First a quick confirmation of the per bottle fee! That corkage fee is only applied if you decide to open and drink YOUR OWN wine in a PUBLIC area of the ship. You can drink all of your own wine free of charge in your cabin. You may purchase wine in the ports and bring it onboard, but Security will take it from you, give you a receipt and lock it up until the evening before debarkation at which time it will be delivered to your cabin.

This is totally outdated information. Princess's new policy is bring all the wine you want, first bottle per person is free, the rest is $15 a bottle and doesn't matter where you drink it. So far it's been enforced on westcoast sailings..ie. Alaska, Hawaii, Coastals. They probably won't bother with Europe until next year and I'm thinking it will be in full force in Ft. Lauderdale in November when the ships come back.

Sounds good - especially since there is coffee!

Princess has always allowed me to take my coffee with me when getting off at a docked port. They DO NOT allow me to take it on the tenders.

Strangely, Celebrity has no problem with my taking coffee on their tenders, though.

Thanks, Karen.:):)

They did not allow coffee to be taken off the Diamond in Alaska. In fact when I ordered a latte one port morning the barista warned me I could not take it off the ship

I remember reading it fr somewhere that we should bring our own cups/water bottle in order to take juice with us. Is that right?

They did not allow coffee to be taken off the Diamond in Alaska. In fact when I ordered a latte one port morning the barista warned me I could not take it off the ship

Lynn & Rob!! << Captain Tony Draper has handed over the reigns of the Royal to a new captain, Dino Sagani. Captain Tony is taking a couple of months off but will be back at the helm in I believe October? >>

Thanks for another very interesting report!! I sure hope Capt. Tony gets back for my cruise in October 29th. I'd like to shake his hand and congratulate him for one of the shortest, most meaningful statements during the christening of his ship! "Your highness, would you christen my ship?" SEVEN most powerful words spoken that day, only rivaled by Duchess Kate's "Bless this ship and all who sail on her!" So you see, all the other pomp and circumstance was just so much "fluff," if you will. Isn't it amazing how much meaning can be compacted into just a few well chosen words? It was a marvelous ceremony!

I agree, it was a marvelous naming ceremony but let me correct you, if I may. I hope you do get a chance to shake Captain Tony’s hand and congratulate him but he actually said 14 words, "Your Royal Highness would you do us the great honor of naming my ship?" It must feel great to refer to the Royal Princess as “my ship!”

Also, Duchess Kate said, "I name this ship Royal Princess. May God bless her and all who sail in her." I don’t know why but it is tradition to say “sail in her” not “sail on her.”

-Steven

This is totally outdated information. Princess's new policy is bring all the wine you want, first bottle per person is free, the rest is $15 a bottle and doesn't matter where you drink it. So far it's been enforced on westcoast sailings..ie. Alaska, Hawaii, Coastals. They probably won't bother with Europe until next year and I'm thinking it will be in full force in Ft. Lauderdale in November when the ships come back.

This was the policy we encountered on our Golden cruise to Alaska in May. No problem bringing wine on board--they charged us $15 for our "extra" bottles. Haven't heard yet if this is the case for wine carry-ons on the Royal so far. Hopefully someone can advise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This was the policy we encountered on our Golden cruise to Alaska in May. No problem bringing wine on board--they charged us $15 for our "extra" bottles. Haven't heard yet if this is the case for wine carry-ons on the Royal so far. Hopefully someone can advise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They don't seem to be enforcing it in the Med yet. Princess have said they're rolling it out in stages to be complete by the end of the year.

I just went to Princess' web site and brought up the Passage Contract and looked at section 5, third paragraph. I specifically stated what I had put in my post about a limit of 1 750ml bottle per passenger of drinking age per voyage. Go here and see for yourself:

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp Perhaps there are different contracts for different itineraries??? Not sure of that. But I'm going to go by my legal contract on my voyage and not take any chances.

Archived