Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

I agree, it was a marvelous naming ceremony but let me correct you, if I may. I hope you do get a chance to shake Captain Tony’s hand and congratulate him but he actually said 14 words, "Your Royal Highness would you do us the great honor of naming my ship?" It must feel great to refer to the Royal Princess as “my ship!”

Also, Duchess Kate said, "I name this ship Royal Princess. May God bless her and all who sail in her." I don’t know why but it is tradition to say “sail in her” not “sail on her.”

-Steven

Thank you, Steven. I stand corrected. I was going from memory rather than go back and look at the video again. You are correct! And a wonderful ceremony!!

I just went to Princess' web site and brought up the Passage Contract and looked at section 5, third paragraph. I specifically stated what I had put in my post about a limit of 1 750ml bottle per passenger of drinking age per voyage. Go here and see for yourself:

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp Perhaps there are different contracts for different itineraries??? Not sure of that. But I'm going to go by my legal contract on my voyage and not take any chances.

The passage contract is from last September, they changed the wine policy earlier this year.

The new policy:

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

The passage contract is from last September, they changed the wine policy earlier this year.

The new policy:

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Interesting. When I sailed Eastern and Southern Caribbean b2b in January of this year (2013), that was the Passage Contract that was attached to my reservations and confirmations. So it appears that Princess is doing random changing of contracts which I'm not sure of the legality of that practice. Sure can be misleading to many people. And it isn't like they are passing along their high volume purchasing discounts to the passengers! :rolleyes: That's a pretty healthy markup I'm seeing onboard!

Interesting. When I sailed Eastern and Southern Caribbean b2b in January of this year (2013), that was the Passage Contract that was attached to my reservations and confirmations. So it appears that Princess is doing random changing of contracts which I'm not sure of the legality of that practice. Sure can be misleading to many people. And it isn't like they are passing along their high volume purchasing discounts to the passengers! :rolleyes: That's a pretty healthy markup I'm seeing onboard!

They started the enforcement on the westcoast, it will probably hit the Caribbean sailings in November. It's kind of good in way that you openly can take more bottles on (even though you always could) but yeah, $15 could add up quick if you just want to drink it on your balcony. Oh well!

The new policy:

And:

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

And:

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

Isn't it interesting that you can purchase as much as you want at any bar on the ship, have it delivered to your stateroom or even have it kept behind the bar(s), and drink it virtually anywhere! (Just keep your receipt). I think it has to do with the staff getting their percentage on the sale. I don't have a problem with that either, as I'm a good tipper. That's what pays their rent, etc. I think I've provided much rent, and a college education or two to staff members/families of staff over the years, so I'm happy!

Hi All

The Royal is in Venice tonight so thought would check out web can

There are folks in the Retreat pool while a nice pool not where l would be if l was in Venice

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

But if that's what you like, still much cheaper than what you can buy on Princess. Least expensive Princess wine will run $27.60.
If you buy the 12 bottle wine package you can get any bottle up to a $29 value for only $23.00 a bottle and that includes the 15% gratuity. If you can't finish off 12 bottles then split with friends :)

Using up the last of my Internet minutes before disembarking.

We have a lot of pictures to share but that will have to wait until we have inexpensive fast Internet available.

Having followed Dave's thread since the beginning and then the live threads (including this one) we came on board the Royal feeling like we already had cruised on her. In the end we both feel like we would book the Royal or Regal without hesitation. The only thing that was a negative for me was the lack of the promenade, however there are so many new and improved features that I think I would miss if we were to be on a Grand class next time (Alfredo's, Fondue, improved Gelato... These all seem to be food related :) )

Anyway, the Royal seems to be a really nice ship and great addition to fleet. There's no mistaking you are on a Princess ship which for us is a good thing since we really like the Princess product. There are a few teething problems that will certainly be worked out, but it doesn't get in the way of having a good time if you don't want it to.

We're off to Germany for a few days and then back to the states. I will be posting the pictures probably from home as well as a review of the ultimate ship tour!

Lynn & Rob

If you buy the 12 bottle wine package you can get any bottle up to a $29 value for only $23.00 a bottle and that includes the 15% gratuity. If you can't finish off 12 bottles then split with friends :)

Princess doesn't have six that I will drink, let alone 12. I only like one; Santa Carolina Sauvignon Blanc. So if I have to supplement, that's what I buy. One at a time. :)

Hi All

From my time on the Royal it appeared wine selection had been increased tried a few new ones

Found quite a few that we liked

Yours Shogun

Are any of you current cruisers staying in cabins ALOHA 515 - 527? If so, would you please provide the name of the steward who is assigned those rooms?

We are in one of those cabins on the Sept 3rd cruise.

Thanks...

Mike

Using up the last of my Internet minutes before disembarking.

We have a lot of pictures to share but that will have to wait until we have inexpensive fast Internet available.

Having followed Dave's thread since the beginning and then the live threads (including this one) we came on board the Royal feeling like we already had cruised on her. In the end we both feel like we would book the Royal or Regal without hesitation. The only thing that was a negative for me was the lack of the promenade, however there are so many new and improved features that I think I would miss if we were to be on a Grand class next time (Alfredo's, Fondue, improved Gelato... These all seem to be food related :) )

Anyway, the Royal seems to be a really nice ship and great addition to fleet. There's no mistaking you are on a Princess ship which for us is a good thing since we really like the Princess product. There are a few teething problems that will certainly be worked out, but it doesn't get in the way of having a good time if you don't want it to.

We're off to Germany for a few days and then back to the states. I will be posting the pictures probably from home as well as a review of the ultimate ship tour!

Lynn & Rob

Thank you for all your reports and views of cruising on the Royal. Enjoy your visit to Germany and have a safe trip home. Look forward to pictures!:D

Hi All

From my time on the Royal it appeared wine selection had been increased tried a few new ones

Found quite a few that we liked

Yours Shogun

That is encouraging news! I found a few but my staple was Nobilo Sauv. Blanc at ~$31/bottle. In the grocery store it's $12-$14!! I shall be scanning the menu at Crooners!! :D

That is encouraging news! I found a few but my staple was Nobilo Sauv. Blanc at ~$31/bottle. In the grocery store it's $12-$14!! I shall be scanning the menu at Crooners!! :D

Here it's 9.99 and I don't care for it. This is one of the wines they always use at the wine tasting.

We definitely made friends with a Californian called Robert Moldavi whilst aboard .....we hadn't met on previous Princess cruises

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oh, I know Robert very well. ;) He does make a nice Chard. If Princess does not have my KJ, he is my second choice.:D

lynn&rob, thanks again.:)

I have found the wine list (I mostly drink reds) on Princess to be quite good in a range of prices, better selection and prices than any other of the cruise lines I have been on. I remember sailing on RCCL and a bottle of Stone Cellars cab ($4.95, $3.95 on sale, at home and undrinkable) was $32. One of my favorites at home is Seghesio Zin, $23 at home, $38 aboard Princess ships. Not bad. Although bringing on your own wine will be limited in the future I like the idea of the wine package. I will still buy wine at certain ports (Italy) and will plan on paying the $15 corkage.

Pia, You can get a smaller package you know, and they can all be bottles of your Santa Carolina. I am hoping Princess will not enforce the new rules until after our TA so we can have a last harrah!

I have found the wine list (I mostly drink reds) on Princess to be quite good in a range of prices, better selection and prices than any other of the cruise lines I have been on. I remember sailing on RCCL and a bottle of Stone Cellars cab ($4.95, $3.95 on sale, at home and undrinkable) was $32. One of my favorites at home is Seghesio Zin, $23 at home, $38 aboard Princess ships. Not bad. Although bringing on your own wine will be limited in the future I like the idea of the wine package. I will still buy wine at certain ports (Italy) and will plan on paying the $15 corkage.

Pia, You can get a smaller package you know, and they can all be bottles of your Santa Carolina. I am hoping Princess will not enforce the new rules until after our TA so we can have a last harrah!

I hope so too Carolyn, 'cause the supermarket in Barcelona is waiting for me and my compatriots.

Archived