Celebrity permits alcohol purchase in port!

What A Market

Yes, this was surprising to me after all I had read on these boards. So here's the deal.

In the port of Greenock, Scotland (jumping off point for touring Glasgow and the Scottish Highlands) it appeared that Celebrity turned over security to the local port authority. When we returned to port after a day of touring the Highlands, we were dropped off at a large semi-permanent tent structure. The entire entrance was roped off in such a way that you were forced to walk by several vendors selling goods and such. One of the vendors was the Glengoyne Whisky distillery.

After passing through all the vendors you were then organized to walk through the port authority's screeners. This was not surprising as I have experienced this form of security at other ports. What was surprising was the fact there was no security screening when re-boarding the Celebrity Infinity other than the check of your sea pass. As such, we were able to walk onto the ship with various bottles of scotch whisky we had purchased while touring. We had fully expected to have the alcohol confiscated when we boarded for later return at the conclusion of the cruise.

Interesting side note: We asked our private guide what his favorite whisky was. He responded that he was not much of a whisky drinker, but if he were to buy a bottle it would be Glengoyne. We didn't need to buy any upon our return to port, as we had already purchased some bottles while touring. Not sure of the prices at the port.

At one of the Caribbean ports and I think it was St Kitts I couldn't take a open bottle of beer that I bought past the security guard to enter the pier. This was just the pier and not getting on the ship.

True, true cruisestitch. I'm definitely not trying imply that. I posted this info solely as something unique to Greenock, Scotland.

Nice for you!

However, the title of the thread, "Celebrity permits alcohol purchase in port" seems a bit more encompassing than Greenock, even if that wasn't your intention.

But good to know it worked out for you. Happens from time to time.

I actually have found more times where I could bring alcohol than ones I couldn't. I've never personally had alcohol confiscated. You just have to realize it's a possibility and be prepared to deal with it.

Same here, I have a feeling most of the heavy screening/confiscation takes place on shorter Caribbean type cruises.

In Barcelona, there's a wine shop/liquor store in the cruise terminal after you go through port security.

I don't usually buy alcohol so I've not really thought about this before, but aren't you allowed to buy alcohol and then let them store if you for until disembarkation, or am I wrong? I really want to buy some Limoncello on my Mediterranean cruise.

I was on the British Isles cruise! There didn't appear to be anyone taking the bottles that people brought on. It could be that a number of Celebrity tours went to distilleries but there were no tables collecting bottles when people got on the ship.

We cruised out of Malaga last year and were able to buy and board with bottle of rum after clearing security. This year we cruise from Barcelona but have the 123 promo drinks package. Perhaps we will buy a bottle depending on the price for our friends who are cruising with us but did not take advantage of the promo.

Same here, I have a feeling most of the heavy screening/confiscation takes place on shorter Caribbean type cruises.

In Barcelona, there's a wine shop/liquor store in the cruise terminal after you go through port security.

Is port security the same as ship security. I'm a bit confused would you then be able to take more than the 2 allowed bottles of wine on board. Thanks for your help in advance.

One more question :). What was customs like on disembarking the ship? Not going to smuggle just I'm just try to work out the time required to get through customs.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Nice for you!

However' date=' the title of the thread, "Celebrity permits alcohol purchase in port" seems a bit more encompassing than Greenock, even if that wasn't your intention.

[/quote']

I agree. By the thread title, it sounds like a Celebrity-wide generalization.

knowehead, at some ports there is one security checkpoint to enter the port or terminal area, operated by the local port officials, and a second checkpoint to enter the ship, operated by ship's personnel.

Whether or not Celebrity has communicated their wine/liquor rules to the local authorities, and whether or not those authorities choose to enforce the rules, varies widely.

So it might be possible that the port authorities may allow you to pass through with multiple bottles of alcohol, but you would be stopped by the ship's personnel once you enter the ship.

It is also possible that because of the number of passengers entering at one time, that the ship's personnel aren't as vigilant as other times, and you might find that you aren't stopped for bringing bottles aboard. Another person who comes onto the ship at an earlier time might have been stopped while you carry your liquor on.

In a few cases where the port has screening machines, because you have already passed through an x-ray, and your hand luggage has also been x-rayed, Celebrity does not use their on-board x-ray system and you simply swipe your SeaPass card and walk onto the ship. This is, however, rare.

One place where the port officials are very good at stopping people from even entering the terminal building with liquor or beer is Fort Lauderdale. As you enter that terminal, the port screening process identifies anyone with suspicious bottles and tables are set up immediately after the x-ray machines with people there who will see that forbidden items (not just liquor, but also irons, firestarters, and other items) are removed from carry-on.

Other ports are much less stringent.

knowehead, at some ports there is one security checkpoint to enter the port or terminal area, operated by the local port officials, and a second checkpoint to enter the ship, operated by ship's personnel.

Whether or not Celebrity has communicated their wine/liquor rules to the local authorities, and whether or not those authorities choose to enforce the rules, varies widely.

So it might be possible that the port authorities may allow you to pass through with multiple bottles of alcohol, but you would be stopped by the ship's personnel once you enter the ship.

It is also possible that because of the number of passengers entering at one time, that the ship's personnel aren't as vigilant as other times, and you might find that you aren't stopped for bringing bottles aboard. Another person who comes onto the ship at an earlier time might have been stopped while you carry your liquor on.

In a few cases where the port has screening machines, because you have already passed through an x-ray, and your hand luggage has also been x-rayed, Celebrity does not use their on-board x-ray system and you simply swipe your SeaPass card and walk onto the ship. This is, however, rare.

One place where the port officials are very good at stopping people from even entering the terminal building with liquor or beer is Fort Lauderdale. As you enter that terminal, the port screening process identifies anyone with suspicious bottles and tables are set up immediately after the x-ray machines with people there who will see that forbidden items (not just liquor, but also irons, firestarters, and other items) are removed from carry-on.

Other ports are much less stringent.

Thank you for the advice, the query I had was after you go through security there is a wine shop. Which security will this be,ship or port in barcelona

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived