Table assignments for dinner

Last time I went on RCCL I had a hard time getting a table assignment. They wanted us to do a free style type sitting for dinner. We like having an assigned table. Are they still pushing the free style?

You can choose either main seating, late seating or my time dining when you book your cruise. If one fills up, you can be put on a waitlist. I don't see them pushing MTD, it is just an option.

Our last three cruises we have noticed they put us on the waitlist for Late seating. In one case we booked the cruise almost a year in advance. [hard to believe late dining was full]

Each cruise we were able to get the traditional seating. In fact, the dining room always looks half empty for late seating.

Just wait it out.

We are Diamond members and in past never had to wait list. However for our upcoming Bermuda cruise on Grandeur we were on wait list when first booked but within a month we were put in late dining like we requested. I emailed the dining coordinator and asked for a table for 6 only near window if possible and received confirmation with a diagram showing where we would be sitting. So far RCC has always tried to accomodate us in the dining room. :)

We are Diamond members and in past never had to wait list. However for our upcoming Bermuda cruise on Grandeur we were on wait list when first booked but within a month we were put in late dining like we requested. I emailed the dining coordinator and asked for a table for 6 only near window if possible and received confirmation with a diagram showing where we would be sitting. So far RCC has always tried to accomodate us in the dining room. :)

What email did you send your request too?

Yes that's the email address that I have used before and always work. I'm really proud of what royal do when we request a table. I just booked my next cruise this Monday and we are sailing on Monday, I requested a table for 4 and as in today my request has been confirmed. I can't ask for more

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When first booking my December cruise months ago, was told that MTD was all that was available. Since I will be cruising this week solo, I definitely didn't want MTD, so I wait listed for Traditional dining, late seating, which is my preference. When I noticed weeks later that the rez had been switched to show that I now had Traditional late seating, I just called RCI and requested that I be seated at a large table (hopefully with lots of smiling fun people!). I've had some great experiences with tablemates on previous cruises.

as diamond members they sure gave you special treatment. consider yourself very lucky....................

I recently booked an Oasis cruise for October next year. When I booked I asked for late seating table for six. They told me there was only MTD available. I told them I found it hard to believe that both seatings were sold out over a year in advance and as a D+ member I should be able to get my seating preference. Five minutes later I had my dining preference. The point is, sometimes you need to ask and just push the issue. Good Sailing, Murf

How far in advance of a cruise do you email with your request? Thanks for your help.

Mary

Usually 3 or 4 weeks before the cruise.

so using rcldining@rccl.com - you don't obviously specify what ship in the address, just in the body of the request?

Yes, the email goes to a shore side person first, who then forwards the request to your specific ship. Also include full guest names, stateroom numbers, and booking numbers.

Yeah, they do seem to push MTD. So, if they tell you that's all that's available, get on the waitlist for traditional! We prefer a table with others, so that's what we aim for!

Never seen this in our experience. We've not had trouble getting the traditional seating times we've requested nor ever experienced an RCI "push" to MTD. We have been able to choose MTD when we've wanted it. We also have been waitlisted with a traditional time where the open option was MTD, but typically several weeks before the cruise were given the waitlisted time we wanted.

To the OP, as suggested email RCI with your request through the email provided. You can also talk with the maître de once you board if there are any remaining issues. They will do their best to help.

Usually 3 or 4 weeks before the cruise.

Yes, the email goes to a shore side person first, who then forwards the request to your specific ship. Also include full guest names, stateroom numbers, and booking numbers.

Very helpful!! Thanks:)

We booked our Independence of the Seas cruise 11 months out and were told that the early dining time was full and were put in MTD. I also thought this was early to have the dining room full. We were waitlisted.

My brother was booked on this cruise, too, and had trouble even getting waitlisted. He was told when he called that travel agencies are giving blocks of cabins to sell and they block off the main dining room for them. About 2 months or so later, our account on the web showed the early dining time, no waitlist, so they must take back the space in the dining room from the travel agences at some point.

I thought at first it was to make us pay the gratuities in advance for MTD and then they have the money, but I think it was more the priority the travel agencies were given that put us on MTD so far out.

When I booked my upcoming cruise 6 months in advance, I was waitlisted (for the first time ever) for late seating.

REALLY? There isn't ONE seat left in the MDR? (I'm traveling alone.) :confused:

My sense is that they are phasing out traditional dining.

Instead of jerking everybody around, they'd do well to just implement the change instead of trying to go all NCL under our noses like we won't notice.

(Tried Freestyle once as a solo and hated it. Dumbed-down place settings and menus, poorer quality in food and service, and they seated me alone on formal night like a leper. Never again.)

REALLY? There isn't ONE seat left in the MDR? (I'm traveling alone.) :confused:

I would think the waitlist would be a high probability of success for you. In general terms most planners can easily find space for one person much easier than larger groups.

From talking to lots of people, availability seems to vary from ship to ship, sailing to sailing depending on many factors. I suspect, from people I have talked to they keep a certain number of any particular seating set aside till right before a cruise to allow themselves some flexability.

Archived