Solarium Pool etiquette.

willma

Picture this: soporific mid afternoon in the solarium, people drifting in to rest after port excursions. Several people drifting about in the pool, myself included. Then someone in speedos, goggles and swim cap leaps in and proceeds to plough up and down the centre of the pool, doing tumble turns and casting all aside who dares to cross their bow. Most people got out. Is this okay? It just didn't seem appropriate for the size of the pool or the time of the day! What should I have done, if anything?

Believe it or not that's what a lot of people consider to be the purpose of a pool - to do laps. I've experienced the same thing in the solarium pool and I'm more of a floating around and relaxing type of guy but I guess you just have to put up with it.

I, for one would have stayed in the pool and stood my ground. He must be part of the ME generation.

Most of the men I see doing this look to be in their 50s. Is that the ME generation?

On my last trip on the Solstice in Aus/NZ I was in the pool with 4 other people and I was the only one not swimming laps. There were three women swimming breaststroke mostly trying not to interfere with others and one speedo-clad 50-something man going gung-ho up and down the pool.

I just want to float around unmolested but after that experience I went back to the outdoor pool where the kids mostly stayed at one.

My husband is a swimmer.. grew up doing it, Lifeguard, the whole nine yards. he swims his PRT every six months( Military test)

it is his considered opinion that pools aboard cruise ships are NOT conducive to lap swimming. they are too short, often have little to no actual room and are often crowded with other people who want to float around unmolested.

of course he is also the first person to raise holy hell if he goes to swim laps at the pool during Lap swim hours in the lanes set aside for lap swimmers and finds it full of kids and those noodle things splashing about.

there is a time and a place. cruise ship pools should not be preempted by one or two individual doing laps.. not unless they keep the pool uncovered and full late at night when reasonable people would not be using it.

This reminds me a little of the dirty looks I would get while running on the jogging track on the Solstice before or after sailaway. Apparently I'm supposed to leap over lounge chairs pulled out onto the track, run around crowds of people conversing on the track with drinks in hand, and not let my feet touch the ground in fear of disturbing someone's nap. Some of us like to get some exercise - we enjoy it. If we're doing it where we are supposed to be doing it - what is wrong with that??

This reminds me a little of the dirty looks I would get while running on the jogging track on the Solstice before or after sailaway. Apparently I'm supposed to leap over lounge chairs pulled out onto the track, run around crowds of people conversing on the track with drinks in hand, and not let my feet touch the ground in fear of disturbing someone's nap. Some of us like to get some exercise - we enjoy it. If we're doing it where we are supposed to be doing it - what is wrong with that??

Unfortunately, the promenade track was an afterthought and in all reality a pain in the behind for those who are serious runners. Most will tell you to use the equipment in the gym to run, despite the fact that's is not the same thing. But I will say that trying to run laps while people are celebrating the sail away probably isn't the best idea as nearly everyone on board is up there celebrating. There may be better times to run instead of when a vast majority of the passengers are up there, at the behest of the cruise director, to start their cruise in a party atmosphere.

I agree that jumping into a crowded pool and making your own race-lane is just being rude. I like to swim laps in the Solarium, but I try to choose a time when nobody is in the pool -- and, I certainly don't break any land-speed records, when I do! ;) :D

Technically, there is nothing wrong with that, but in reality, YOU are choosing to run at a time when this area is congested with people enjoying sailaways. So yes... leaping and dodging is your choice to make. Sorry.

Picture this: soporific mid afternoon in the solarium, people drifting in to rest after port excursions. Several people drifting about in the pool, myself included. Then someone in speedos, goggles and swim cap leaps in and proceeds to plough up and down the centre of the pool, doing tumble turns and casting all aside who dares to cross their bow. Most people got out. Is this okay? It just didn't seem appropriate for the size of the pool or the time of the day! What should I have done, if anything?

As the sea is probably the better place for this type of person, why not gather a few Guests together and kindly assist "Speedos" to quickly find it. ;):D

Throwing into 2 cents. There will always be rude and inconsiderate behaviors on large ships. Always. Chair hogs. Kids in diapers on adult only hot tubs, etc.

You are on vacation. Ignore it all and relax and enjoy, tell yourself he has Aspergers. If you look for little things like this to upset you then they will. You could leave the pool, move over or tap him on the shoulder and nicely tell him he did not realize he nearly banged into you... But a person so utterly oblivious of his surroundings could also be defensive or volatile in his response. I would just stay clear and enjoy the weather. Just not worth it . Don't sweat the small stuff is my mantra!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Actually if you read my post, I wasn't upset, more amused, particularly by the display of chest slapping, arm swinging 'warm up' prior to leaping in and thrashing up and down, soaking the first row of lounging solarium sunbed users. I was merely curious to know whether this is okay to do, and if not how it should be addressed. (I think a number of the older pool users were a bit put out, but no harm was done.)

Actually if you read my post, I wasn't upset, more amused, particularly by the display of chest slapping, arm swinging 'warm up' prior to leaping in and thrashing up and down, soaking the first row of lounging solarium sunbed users. I was merely curious to know whether this is okay to do, and if not how it should be addressed. (I think a number of the older pool users were a bit put out, but no harm was done.)

LOL....he was trying to model himself after Michael Phelps?;)

Completely and totally NOT ok!! :mad:

He probably soaked a few Kindles, paperbacks, magazines, etc!! My DH would have quickly and clearly "had a word" with this person. :eek::eek::eek:

Archived