New Ship

Cisleman

The ship's consulting architect for the Odyssey, Sojourn and the Quest and his entourage were visiting the Sojourn in Oslo on the second Of June, wandering around and talking to staff. They had a coffee in the Seabourn Square. Have no idea how far off the new ship is.

Was told that they are looking at two shipyards. Expect that negotiations are underway. Announcement expected in six weeks.

New ship will have an extra deck and be a little wider than the current ships with a capacity of 550.

Timeframe 2016.

Above was from a Seabourn person.....

I don't think that any of us can really comment until we have sailed on the new ship.

Remember what was said before the Odyssey class ships were here and look how popular Seabourn square is with lovers of both sizes of ship.

I will reserve judgement until it is finally here.

What will be important is the staff/passenger ratio and also if there will be more deck/lounge/restaurant space to take the extra 125 passengers:)

I suppose that goes without saying.

How exciting for us all while we wait for the finished product.

Until then one can only guess.

And to put things into competitive context, I understand that the new large Silversea ship Whisper is really just the Seabourn Odyssey class except for no Seabourn Square and another 100 passengers with only one additional passenger deck to house them. If that's the case that makes for a more crowded and less comfortable ship. Who wants that?!

So if Seabourn is building a larger ship with Odyssey characteristics for 100 more passengers I would be interested. Seabourn has already set the standard and I expect them to respect those standards.

Happy cruising!

The level of service on the O ships has never reached that of the triplets in my opinion. Adding another hundred passengers will only make the experience less intimate and more generic. I don't care what extra features they add!

The level of service on the O ships has never reached that of the triplets in my opinion. Adding another hundred passengers will only make the experience less intimate and more generic. I don't care what extra features they add!

Somewhat agree with you wripro, but at least the three new ships (which we have learned to like almost as much - some things are a definite improvement on the small ones, like the patio grill area and the square) will be around for many years yet, so we don't need to try the new larger ones for a long time!

I'm certainly not saying I won't try it. Maybe like spinach I'll learn to love it. I guess I fell in love with SB for the small ships and with each next generation of new builds they are moving further and further away from that.

I was hoping they'd take a different route - and suggested as much to HQ, say 325 to appease the small and large fans but I guess economics would not make that work. But I agree w/ Mr. Luxury that you have to try it and see. I certainly love Seabourn Square and will miss it when next on the Pride.

• 2 weeks later...

I would hope Seabourn is always thinking it's about the $$$$$$$$$, otherwise they won't be around.

Adding another deck and 100 passengers becomes a problem if there's not enough staff and the lounges and dining rooms aren't adjusted. HAL has plenty of experience with expanding capacity without making adjustments to the public rooms and spaces. And that's a pain in the tail.

We love the Sojourn size and amenities. But if they think they can fill 550 each cruise without bargain-basement pricing, then go for it.

I left Silversea for SB. We love the small ships.We will not be sailing on the larger ships,just not our style,it looks like sailing may be a thing of the past for us.Years ago we started with The Renaissance Ships 100 passengers.They then went to 500 passengers ,we tried it once.Just not for us.WE like and will pay for small.

Trying PG this Aug to sail to French P.Please keep the small ships.:confused:

I left Silversea for SB. We love the small ships.We will not be sailing on the larger ships,just not our style,it looks like sailing may be a thing of the past for us.Years ago we started with The Renaissance Ships 100 passengers.They then went to 500 passengers ,we tried it once.Just not for us.WE like and will pay for small.

Trying PG this Aug to sail to French P.Please keep the small ships.:confused:

It's too late for Seabourn to keep the small ships as they have already been sold to Windstar - it's a 'done deed'. But you could choose to follow them, and try a Windstar cruise when they have them up and running - and you still have time to fit in a 'last cruise' on each of the three little sisters, with one to go in 2014 and the others the following year :)

Archived