Free upgrades to Aqua?

kevinyork

I was wondering today, if X have Aqua Class cabins unsold, would they automatically give free upgrades to those in regular balcony/concierge cabins if this meant the passengers move from the MDR to Blu? Some might not appreciate the move of restaurants nor indeed an inferior cabin position. In which case how do they fill unsold AQ cabins?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They fill the unsold aqua cabins (and others) with the "tuesday specials".

At some point after final payment they will discount the remaining cabins, you may not get a FREE upgrade to aqua, but perhaps at a very low increase from what you have already paid.

They fill the unsold aqua cabins (and others) with the "tuesday specials".

At some point after final payment they will discount the remaining cabins, you may not get a FREE upgrade to aqua, but perhaps at a very low increase from what you have already paid.

Our cruise on Eclipse leaving in 5 days has Aqua at £1000 more than balcony guarantees. Seems a bit late to discount now.

I dont want an upgrade. We have a cabin on the hump and my other half is veggie so would get the MDR veggie menu anyway in Blu. Im just curious about the practicalities of filling those cabins.

Our cruise on Eclipse leaving in 5 days has Aqua at £1000 more than balcony guarantees. Seems a bit late to discount now.

I dont want an upgrade. We have a cabin on the hump and my other half is veggie so would get the MDR veggie menu anyway in Blu. Im just curious about the practicalities of filling those cabins.

I once purchased a Tuesday special CC Gty and was assigned an AQ cabin. Although we changed our cabin to a slightly difference cabin, we loved the experience. The AQ category is over $1000 pp more experience than the less expensive CC category on our November cruise.

Unless you had a Gty I would not think that Celebrity would upgrade you to AQ without asking.

Personally I would not be too concerned. It might just be my bad luck, but I do not think Celebrity upgrades non Gty category without asking very much. Other than the Gty that I mentioned I have never been upgraded. It seems to me that Celebrity loers prices and gets people to pay a little more to upgrade. Smart IMO.

Celebrity is not likely to upgrade you unless you ask. On one leg of our recent B2B2B, the price of AQ cabins dropped below what we had paid for an ordinary balcony cabin, so we upgraded to an AQ1. We didn't get a refund, just a higher category cabin.

Cruise ships NEVER automatically upgrade people from pre-selected cabins....why do you think people pre-select? It's because they WANT a mid-ship near elevator or aft wrap, etc. The cruise line would get slammed if they changed 'YOUR' cabin!

They may call to OFFER an an upgrade for a certain price....Oceania called me twice within two weeks, each time to sweeten the offer.

You may get the BEST CHANCE of an upgrade from a guarantee status. But USUALLY the upgrade is simply a better location or slightly better room. I have never been upgraded from a balcony to a suite, but I have been upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony once.

So wait for a call for an upgrade, or call yourself for an upgrade, or sit around and hope for one that comes very, very seldom these days.

They will just lower the price...advertise balcony for the price of oceanview, for instance, to get the ships full.

A 4-time-a-year travel adventurer!

Joyce

"Cruise ships NEVER automatically upgrade people from pre-selected cabins....why do you think people pre-select?"

Ummmm....yes, they do. At least Celebrity does. It happened to me. I pre-selected my favorite stateroom and found out at check-in in the terminal that I had been upgraded. No notice, no call, nothing to my travel agent. It was a complete surprise.

I was wondering today, if X have Aqua Class cabins unsold, would they automatically give free upgrades to those in regular balcony/concierge cabins if this meant the passengers move from the MDR to Blu? Some might not appreciate the move of restaurants nor indeed an inferior cabin position. In which case how do they fill unsold AQ cabins?

We got an upgrade from Veranda to Aqua on our British Isles cruise because the prices for Aqua after final payment were lower than what we paid for our veranda.

Cruise ships NEVER automatically upgrade people from pre-selected cabins....why do you think people pre-select?

Joyce

They certainly do on Princess. I am not saying that Celebrity does, but you statement says Cruise ships.

Cruise ships NEVER automatically upgrade people from pre-selected cabins....why do you think people pre-select? It's because they WANT a mid-ship near elevator or aft wrap, etc. The cruise line would get slammed if they changed 'YOUR' cabin!

We were upgraded on the Solstice last year from our aq hump balconies 1610&1608 to sky suites about 9 months prior to sailing. We had booked the day sailings became available to get the larger balcony, but the extra space was worth the loss of our preferred cabin. The $5 cover in Blu was annoying given that we had booked aqua class, but one day our my celebrity just showed a different cabin! I'm hoping it happens on my b2b in February!

Those of you who believe that Celebrity could not change your cabin without prior notice have not read your Cruise Ticket Contract. In fact, I specifically had the agent add "No upgrades or cabin changes" to my reservation but even this does not absolutely guarantee it could not happen.

Archived