DIY to Florence

sweetpea222

We had booked our ship's Florence on your own transportation (a family of four) for our upcoming cruise. The others we are travelling with, however, would like us to consider taking the train and DIY Florence instead, as the cost of the cruise excursion is really high (ridiculous, really). We will have just come off of doing a DIY day in Rome the day before though, and the only thing that is making me nervous is the fact that the trains from Florence only run back to Livorno once an hour, whereas there are many more trains running from Rome back to Civitavecchia. If you miss a train in Rome, you have other options. If you miss the train in Florence, you better hope there aren't any other problems.

Can anyone reassure me on what is the least stressful way to DIY Florence? We will be in port from 8 am to 7 pm. I'm not at all adverse to taking the trains, just need to hear from others who have done so with no problems, so I feel reassured here.

I think this is one of those instances where you ultimately have to figure out what you are comfortable doing. There've been dozens of posts from people who have done Florence on their own by train successfully.

On the other hand, are you going to worry about getting back all day so much that you won't enjoy Florence?

I have done Florence on the train. (Not only that but we went in slogging rain to Florence, then by local bus to Fiesole, then reversed the process...) Yes, I do wish there were more frequent trains in the afternoon. You either end up going back earlier than you'd like, or you plan like crazy not to miss the last viable train.

Also (pardon me for looking up your cruise), it looks like you'll be going to Toulon after, which isn't so easy to get to via transportation other than renting a car. It'd be so much easier if you were going to Florence and THEN Rome....

If you do have a larger group that would consider a private driver, Bruce is right that your cost will probably be less than the ship's "Florence on your Own" tour.....but of course, more than truly doing it on your own.

We were in port approx. same hours & visited both Florence & Pisa.

No worries.

Train cost 18 euros, taxi ship/station 25 euros e/w (but carry up to eight)

Yes, the direct trains are hourly. To be on the safe side, figure the latest possible & plan to catch the one before it.

But there are also more trains to Pisa, and trains from Pisa to Livorno.

And if you're running late and there's no convenient connecting train from Pisa, you can jump in a taxi for the 15 miles from there to the ship.

Arm yourselves with the relevant train times from http://www.trenitalia.com/

IIRC between Florence & Livorno vaguely 1hr 20, Florence & Pisa about an hour, Pisa & Livorno about 15 minutes.

Useful thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1805561&highlight=florence+train

JB :)

We had booked our ship's Florence on your own transportation (a family of four) for our upcoming cruise. The others we are travelling with, however, would like us to consider taking the train and DIY Florence instead, as the cost of the cruise excursion is really high (ridiculous, really). We will have just come off of doing a DIY day in Rome the day before though, and the only thing that is making me nervous is the fact that the trains from Florence only run back to Livorno once an hour, whereas there are many more trains running from Rome back to Civitavecchia. If you miss a train in Rome, you have other options. If you miss the train in Florence, you better hope there aren't any other problems.

Can anyone reassure me on what is the least stressful way to DIY Florence? We will be in port from 8 am to 7 pm. I'm not at all adverse to taking the trains, just need to hear from others who have done so with no problems, so I feel reassured here.

Assuming you're docked in Livorno, there are a lot more than 1 train/hour.

1300-1349/1412-1426

1328-1450

1338-1520

1359-1503/1519-1534

1428-1550

1500-1549/1608-1623

1528-1648

1628-1750

1700-1749/1821-1838

The ones with two times shown require a change of trains at Pisa enroute.

In the end we are all different. For some there is no stress. For others there is stress.

I will give you my advice which is very simple.

If you are concerned about this then book a tour. Why spend time agonizing over this and that includes the day of the actual tour. I know when I tour I want to place my focus on that.

And even on a private tour pad the time that you want to get back to the ship unless you are overnight somewhere.

If this is your first time to Florence there are a lot of benefits doing this as a private tour.

Again, this is one of those that the only opinion that matters is your very own.

Keith

If you are looking for the least stressful it is probably the ships tour. The give up is the much higher cost and less time in Florence. As pointed out, many take a taxi to the train station, catch the train and return on their own. To me the only stressful part of that is upon the return to Liverno where it can be hard to catch a taxi back to the ship because so many are trying to do the same.

To me the only stressful part of that is upon the return to Liverno where it can be hard to catch a taxi back to the ship because so many are trying to do the same.

Hi Kirk,

This is the problem of each of us having different experiences on different days, & mebbe needs a local to suggest whose experience is the more typical.

From ship to Livorno station we shared a cab (van) with six others milling around on the pier, at the grand cost of 3.5 euros each.

For our return, the problem wasn't a shortage of cabs, it was a shortage of others needing a cab :rolleyes:.

When we got back to Livorno (our last stop Pisa), there were plenty of cabs but no-one else needing a cab back to our ship. So we waited about 20 mins for the next train, which had come direct from Florence. No-one on that train was for our ship either, so after everyone had left the station we took one of the cabs (still plenty) by ourselves at a cost of 25 euros.

But the total transport costs for the day of 34 euros each was still a whole lot less than what the ship wanted - and so much more flexible too.

JB :)

WOW.. Least stressful? That is a tough question because it really depends on the individual. We suspect that a majority of the folks would have the least stress by simply being part of the cattle herd called an "excursion." You just go with the group, follow the lead cow (that's the guide with the sign), go to the rest room when told, eat when told, etc. What could be less stressful? On the other hand, there are a few folks like DW and moi who absolutely love the freedom of doing our own thing and find it very relaxing. Keep in mind that using the train to get to Florence can involve some taxi stress as you need to get a taxi to the station from the port...and this can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. It is the same on the return as there are often not many taxis waiting at the Livorno station...so you have to rush off the train to try to get one of the taxis (it is first come first serve) or have the additional stress of waiting until a taxi shows-up at the station.

Hank

WOW.. Least stressful? That is a tough question because it really depends on the individual. We suspect that a majority of the folks would have the least stress by simply being part of the cattle herd called an "excursion." You just go with the group, follow the lead cow (that's the guide with the sign), go to the rest room when told, eat when told, etc. What could be less stressful? On the other hand, there are a few folks like DW and moi who absolutely love the freedom of doing our own thing and find it very relaxing. Keep in mind that using the train to get to Florence can involve some taxi stress as you need to get a taxi to the station from the port...and this can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. It is the same on the return as there are often not many taxis waiting at the Livorno station...so you have to rush off the train to try to get one of the taxis (it is first come first serve) or have the additional stress of waiting until a taxi shows-up at the station.

Hank

Hank, the last ship tour we ever took was to Florence, some years ago, and that put us off ship tours for life!!! They marched us around for 4 1/2 hours, and then took us to a restaurant where they served us roast beef and mashed potatoes! In Florence! We also hated the fact that we moved at the pace of the slowest, or latest, person in the group (of 50!) We have since been back to Florence several times and used the taxi/train/stop at Pisa method with no issues; got cabs easily at both ends.

DH and I prefer to wander, stop for a coffee and a cornetto (and potty break), meander some more, spend our time doing what we want to do. Kindred spirits on this one.

Last summer we compromised by signing up for the ship's shuttle to the train station. If we had been more than two people, a taxi may have made more sense as you can get away from the ship more quickly. On the way back, the train must have 'thought' (do trains think?:) ) it was ahead of schedule and stopped on the tracks for several minutes before pulling into the station. We were relieved that the ship's shuttle was waiting for us (although we ran through the station to hop on as it left when full and people were returning at different times) compared to those who worried if taxis would be on hand.

This was our first experience with DIY by trains on a cruise and it worked out great in Florence, Rome and Athens. We always planned on the second last train back and stuck to it. An extra hour in the city wasn't worth more than our peace of mind.

Have a great time!

We prebooked Tuscany by taxi, reasonable cost E400 for 8 and we got to plan out our itinerary for 9 hours with the driver taking us where ever we wanted to go. We had time in Florence and then a quick stop in Pisa (1 hour) and even though we didn't have a guide, our driver had lots of good information about the area and history. Just days before leaving I found out that there was a train strike that day so was really glad we didn't have to scramble.

Archived