Princess EZAir cancelled my tickets

weberman

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that you must fully pay for both your flight and cruise fare to lock in your restricted EZair. You cannot pay for your EZair only and wait until closer to final payment date to pay your cruise fare. I think your TA should have been aware of this and advised you accordingly. Good luck in straightening it all out. I am seeing some reductions in EZair this past week.
I booked Flexible EzAir last December for our cruise this Fall on the Royal. After making final payment this month, I checked and saw that I could rebook my flights for $100 less per persson. Having that ability up to 45 days before the cruise is what makes the EzAir Flexible fares attractive to me. Also, I haven't had any trouble checking status and seat assignments directly on the Delta, United, KLM websites.

I recently booked Flexible EzAir for for our TA on the Emerald next April. Booked seat assignments on the United website.

From the Princess website:

Flexible fares:

Flexible fares are designed for those passengers who have less certainty in their travel plans and want the freedom to cancel their flight arrangements easily. These fares are typically higher than Restricted fares, but include the following added benefits:

Air payment is due on the date of the final cruise payment – not at the time of air booking.

Air charges are fully refundable until 45 days prior to departure.

Restricted fares:

Our Restricted fares will typically be lower than our Flexible fares, with the following terms:

Air charges are non-refundable (e.g. no cash back).

Payment is due immediately upon time of air booking.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that you must fully pay for both your flight and cruise fare to lock in your restricted EZair. You cannot pay for your EZair only and wait until closer to final payment date to pay your cruise fare. I think your TA should have been aware of this and advised you accordingly. Good luck in straightening it all out. I am seeing some reductions in EZair this past week.

The last time we used EZ Air was April 2011. We booked NJ to Ft. Lauderdale and then London to NJ. The charge showed up on our credit card the day after booking, and we paid the credit card in full at the next billing cycle. Once booked we called the airline directly and asked them to translate the EZ Air reference no. into the airline reference no. We then went directly into the airline website and selected our seats. Once booked we totally bypassed Princess, dealing directly with the airline (American). We frequently went to the airline website to verify any changes in flight times as well as changes in aircraft. Our flights were booked and paid for 9 months in advance. We never had to wait until final payment for the cruise portion to get our flights. This was our experience.

I recently booked Flexible EzAir for for our TA on the Emerald next April. Booked seat assignments on the United website.

From the Princess website:

Flexible fares:

Flexible fares are designed for those passengers who have less certainty in their travel plans and want the freedom to cancel their flight arrangements easily. These fares are typically higher than Restricted fares, but include the following added benefits:

Air payment is due on the date of the final cruise payment – not at the time of air booking.

Restricted fares:

Our Restricted fares will typically be lower than our Flexible fares, with the following terms:

When I booked the Flexible airfares were Cheaper than the Restricted airfares by about $300 and there were a lot more flight option. Withe Restricted, there was only one choice, Air Berlin. The big difference was that in order to get the Flexible, the entire cruise had to be paid for. With the Restricted only the airfare had to be paid in full. No way I was going to give the full payment on December 7, 2012 for a cruise whose final payment was not until July 25, 2013.

Bill

When I booked the Flexible airfares were Cheaper than the Restricted airfares by about $300 and there were a lot more flight option. Withe Restricted, there was only one choice, Air Berlin. The big difference was that in order to get the Flexible, the entire cruise had to be paid for. With the Restricted only the airfare had to be paid in full. No way I was going to give the full payment on December 7, 2012 for a cruise whose final payment was not until July 25, 2013.

Bill

I am confused about that. I booked my flexible fare about the same time you booked your restricted fare. I didn't have to pay anything until the final payment was due this month. It says that clearly on the Princess website. Though I was always worried that the price might go up during those 8 months, I was assured by both Princess and my TA that rarely happens. After I made the final payment I did a search and noticed airfare had decreased by about $100/person. Rather than take a chance on cancelling and rebooking I called Princess and asked them to take care of it, which they did with a $200 refund to my CC.. I searched again this morning and noticed airfare has increased about $50 over my original fare, but I am locked in now.

Just a word of warning to Australians - I looked into eZair to book Brisbane/Sydney/Buenos Aires then return from LA. Their price was $7200 each - economy.:eek: Thought I'd made a mistake and had ticked business class. Thought also it may be for two of us - still very high. When I checked it was indeed economy and for one person. Made the same booking direct with QANTAS - was just a tad under $2000 each. eZair may work well for US cruisers but just a bit expensive to fly from Australia.

I am confused about that. I booked my flexible fare about the same time you booked your restricted fare. I didn't have to pay anything until the final payment was due this month. It says that clearly on the Princess website. Though I was always worried that the price might go up during those 8 months, I was assured by both Princess and my TA that rarely happens. After I made the final payment I did a search and noticed airfare had decreased by about $100/person. Rather than take a chance on cancelling and rebooking I called Princess and asked them to take care of it, which they did with a $200 refund to my CC.. I searched again this morning and noticed airfare has increased about $50 over my original fare, but I am locked in now.

His post that you quoted says he booked Flexible, not Restricted.

His post that you quoted says he booked Flexible, not Restricted.
Actually I believe he booked and paid in full for a restricted fare and that is what he is upset about. At least that is how I read his original post.

Princess said the money I paid for EZAir was applied to the booking as a partial payment. :mad:

Well I just found copies of the E-Tickets that were issued and it shows that the full amount was charged to my credit card to pay for the airfare E-Tickets.

Somebody at Princess screwed up big time but they don't want to admit it! :confused:

It will be interesting to see what they come up with as an excuse on Monday! :eek:

Thanks for the support! :)

Bill

Did you get the documentation from Princess or did you get it from your travel agent? Did you talk directly with Princess or go through your TA? Did you give the credit card information directly to Princess or go through your TA? The reason I ask is that you indicated that you used a TA, so there is always a possibility that the problem was in communications between your TA and Princess. If you have documentation directly from Princess it should be pretty easy to resolve, if on the other hand if your information came from your TA it might not be so clear cut.

When I have used EZair I got a confirming e-mail directly from Princess showing the application of payment. I go direct and do not use a TA.

Did you get the documentation from Princess or did you get it from your travel agent? Did you talk directly with Princess or go through your TA? Did you give the credit card information directly to Princess or go through your TA? The reason I ask is that you indicated that you used a TA, so there is always a possibility that the problem was in communications between your TA and Princess. If you have documentation directly from Princess it should be pretty easy to resolve, if on the other hand if your information came from your TA it might not be so clear cut.

When I have used EZair I got a confirming e-mail directly from Princess showing the application of payment. I go direct and do not use a TA.

I booked directly with Princess EZAir and Princess sent me two E-Tickets showing the fares were paid in full by my VISA card. I was even routed to Air Berlin's website to select my seat assignments.

I booked RESTRICTED. I don't know how anyone could read my OP and think that I booked Flexible. If I had I probably would not be having a problem at this time.

And as an after thought.

Yes, quite contradictory.

What is quite contradictory about my OP?

No, Carolyn is correct. If you buy the restricted ticket, both air fare and cruise fare must be paid in full to get the cheaper air fare price. If you purchase a flexible fare, you can "float" and pay for both later BUT the air fare price is not guaranteed.

Your tickets were cancelled because you didn't pay for the cruise when you bought the airline tickets. You have it backwards below.

These are two different animals.. Withe restricted you pay for the tickets and get your tickets and seat assignments, there id NO REFUND Or CANCELLATION. It is use them or lose them.

Flexible tickets have the ability to cancel or change them.

The biggest difference is that in order to get Flexible you have to have the entire cruise paid for to purchase the Flexible EZAir where with Restricted you do not!

The Flexible tickets were about $150 a personles than Restricted, but I did not want to pay for the entire cruise in December just to get Flexible tickets.

No, Carolyn is correct. If you buy the restricted ticket, both air fare and cruise fare must be paid in full to get the cheaper air fare price. If you purchase a flexible fare, you can "float" and pay for both later BUT the air fare price is not guaranteed.

Your tickets were cancelled because you didn't pay for the cruise when you bought the airline tickets. You have it backwards below.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. (Believe me I would have bought Flexible Airfare if possible because at the time I made my flight arrangements Flexible was actually cheaper than Restricted, however the quoted price for Flexible could change but the Restricted would not.

I spoke with Princess Air and they told just the opposite. I wanted to buy Flexible but was told that you could only buy Flexible if the whole cruise was paid for. So Princess sold me restricted airfare and I paid the full amount understanding there were no refunds available. No where does it say the whole cruise has to be paid for when buying Restricted airfare nor does it state on the Princess Website that Flexible Airfare bookings have to have the full cruise fare paid.

It seems to me that Princess is totally screwed up. However I will get to the bottom of this tomorrow. My Travels agent shows everything as paid with a zero balance including the airfare.

I even inquired as to how the Princess Insurance would cover a medical cancellation. I was told and have posted previously about it that the Princess Insurance would refund (due to a medical cancellation) 50% of the Restricted Airfare in cash and the other 50% in Cruise Credits.

From the princess website which does not post very well in this thead:

Flexible fares:

Restricted fares:

Princess eZAir Flexible Fares Princess eZAir Restricted Fares

Purchase air - days from departure From 330 days up to 4 days before departure subject to availability From 330 days up to 4 days before departure subject to availability

Selection of preferred airline, flights, and travel date No charge No charge

Confirmation of airline and flight schedules At time of booking At time of booking

Airfare Competitive and updated in real-time based on current airline inventory Competitive and updated in real-time based on current airline inventory

Changes to Air Reservation No fee until 45 days prior to departure. Fees apply within 45 days. Allowed. An airline credit memo will be recorded minus applicable fees.

Cancellation No fee until 45 days prior to departure. Fees apply within 45 days. Allowed. An airline credit memo will be recorded minus applicable fees.

Payment Due Same date as cruise final payment date Immediately at time of booking

Flight Disruption Coverage Princess will route to next port of call Princess will route to next port of call

Sorry Spiro, but you have it backwards..Restricted is the one where you must pay for the air at time of booking. Flexible cannot be paid for separately, you must pay for both cruise and air (usually at final payment) in order to confirm the final air price. Re-read the Princess page, or the post above.

Weberman is rightfully concerned because the Restricted Air (which requires payment at the time of booking, always) was apparently treated (by Princess?) as if it was Flexible Air. And now he is out the money and seems not to have any Air tickets to show for it.

Weberman: Sure hope this all turns out alright for you, would be interested to hear from you again once you have spoken to someone , bit of a mess. Makes me think twice about booking EZ air.

Cori

Princess will likely just rectify the error made. The really have no choice if you have eticket etc.

Your TA should be the one dealing with this, but as Princess Air Department is Monday to Friday this isn't something they could deal with on the weekend. Nothing wrong with working Monday - Friday. Everyone needs days off.

Good Luck!

Just spoke with my T/A who has called Princess twice this morning. He said Princess Air is working on the problem (mistake). He set them straight about the princess Rep stated that the T/A agency had not paid the full amount of the fare as Princess was trying to blame the T/A.

We are waiting to see what Princess Air comes up with and says he will fight for an upgrade because of the stress Princess has put my DW and I through. I doubt if it happens, but one can always hope.

Also, as to Flexible and Restricted.

Restricted is paid in full at the time of purchase and the price will not change. The cruise does not have to be paid for until the Final Payment Date.

Flexible is either paid in full at the time of the airfare reservation and the cruise has to be paid in full to lock in the Flexible fare.

Or the Flexible can be allowed to float until the airfare is paid for as well as the cruise paid in full to get the current (floated) price which could be different than the price quoted at the time the reservation was made. The airfare price can change until the entire amount of the airfare and cruise are paid for, but no later than the final payment date. So, it is a gamble on what the Flexible airfare will do until it is full paid for.

I am hoping to hear from Princess soon and the T/A said he will give until 2:30 PM to fix their mistake or he will be back in touch with Princess.

Here's hoping, but at least Princess now admits someone screwed up. :eek:

Will advise when I hear something. :)

DON'T TRUST PRINCESS EZAIR RECHECK YOUR RESERVATIONS.......

Princess is going to have the air department call me on Monday about what can be done. Also, my travel agent only works Monday through Friday (Nice huh) so he is of no help.

I will post the results of this fiasco on Monday.

Hope all works out well for you.

Please do post the results...I'm sure there are many reading this thread that are concerned for you and about using Pricess EZAIR.

Thanks in advance

Just spoke with my T/A who has called Princess twice this morning. He said Princess Air is working on the problem (mistake). He set them straight about the princess Rep stated that the T/A agency had not paid the full amount of the fare as Princess was trying to blame the T/A.

We are waiting to see what Princess Air comes up with and says he will fight for an upgrade because of the stress Princess has put my DW and I through. I doubt if it happens, but one can always hope.

Also, as to Flexible and Restricted.

Restricted is paid in full at the time of purchase and the price will not change. The cruise does not have to be paid for until the Final Payment Date.

Flexible is either paid in full at the time of the airfare reservation and the cruise has to be paid in full to lock in the Flexible fare.

Or the Flexible can be allowed to float until the airfare is paid for as well as the cruise paid in full to get the current (floated) price which could be different than the price quoted at the time the reservation was made. The airfare price can change until the entire amount of the airfare and cruise are paid for, but no later than the final payment date. So, it is a gamble on what the Flexible airfare will do until it is full paid for.

I am hoping to hear from Princess soon and the T/A said he will give until 2:30 PM to fix their mistake or he will be back in touch with Princess.

Here's hoping, but at least Princess now admits someone screwed up. :eek:

Will advise when I hear something. :)

Thanks for the thread of this topic!

We are have also purchased Flexable Air thru Princess for our TA Cruise in October. We paid the cruise and Air in full in March in order to lock-in flights and seat selections on both flights.

We will be looking for your post on how this ends up.

Good Luck in resolving this!

We are have also purchased Flexable Air thru Princess for our TA Cruise in October. We paid the cruise and Air in full in March in order to lock-in flights and seat selections on both flights.

We did the same. Only we waited until July to make our final payment. Surprisingly, I did a search and found the fare had decreased by $100/person so we rebooked and Princess credited ou CC. I was lucky, because it looks like the fares jumped back up.

We did this for the very same reason, to lock in seat selections. In checking our flights over the weekend we found our seat selections removed and now nobody will talk to us: British Air, American Air and Princess. We are told we will get our seat selections at check in. EZAir has proven to be a frustrating experience for us.

I just called Princess and they would not let me speak with Princess Air directly. Put on hold by the Princess Rep, who called Princess Air. The Rep came back on the line and told me Princess Air had contacted Air Berlin but Princess Air had not heard back from Air Berlin. The Rep told me to call back tomorrow. What a joke or more likely a travesty. :mad: Air Berlin has the money and has No obligation (other than goodwill) to give it back as the tickets were purchased Non-Refundable. :rolleyes:

I don't know what kind of a working relationship Princess Air has with Air Berlin or any other airline. :confused: Air Berlin headquarters are in Germany and it is now about 8 PM there, so Air Berlin's offices are closed. The Air Berlin flight has about five window seats available and the cost is about $400 to $500 more than I paid when I booked with EZair.

Princess, in my opinion, should just admit their screwed up and get me comparable flights (one-stop) and seats on another Airline. But, I guess that is asking to much. :eek:

I will never deal with Princess EZAir again and Princesses customer service has soured me on Princess in general. However, I will wait and withhold judgement until I see what they do to solve THEIR mistake.

And, so much for the problem being resolved today, with the Call Back Tomorrow comment! :mad:

Bill :eek:

Archived