Post Cruise (FLL) - Miami or Key West?

Mark_UK

Hi all,

I'm travelling over from the UK for the Oasis of the Seas in November 2013 and we're spending 2 nights before in Fort Lauderdale. We have another 3 nights after the cruise before heading home from Miami Intl and not sure what to do... I was thinking of heading into Miami but Key West also looks good... any other suggestions for that time of year?

It will be myself and a friend (both mid-20s) and we're not too fussed about partying! (we'll be getting the RCCL inclusive drinks package so will probably need a break!)

Thanks in advance!

I would rent a car (as long as you don't mind driving on the correct side of the road ;)) and drive to KW for a couple of days over staying in Miami or Miami Beach - great drive, very relaxed atmosphere, and a wonderful time.

If you make it to KW eat at least once at El Siboney, a family run casual Cuban spot I have been enjoying for almost 30 years. :D

Good luck! :)

I think Key West is looking good! I have driven over in Florida before... It's not the side of the road that gets me, it's the being allowed to turn right on A red that I can't handle!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I would rent a car (as long as you don't mind driving on the correct side of the road ;)) and drive to KW for a couple of days over staying in Miami or Miami Beach - great drive, very relaxed atmosphere, and a wonderful time.

If you make it to KW eat at least once at El Siboney, a family run casual Cuban spot I have been enjoying for almost 30 years. :D

Good luck! :)

JohninDC gives good advice (as usual :D) -- especially the El Siboney recommendation!

I find Key West rather limiting. Not much of a beach, mainly a bunch of bars with the younger set. Miami is the downtown big city, not the resort area. Miami Beach is the barrier island just a 10 minute ride over the bridge. No beach in Miami proper, but miles of beach on Miami Beach, lots of hotels in all $ ranges. Same with dining. Interesting collection of Art Deco buildings at South Beach, the Southern most tip of Miami Beach.No car needed.

We love Key West and the drive is beautiful! The bars have live entertainers so it's really fun. Curry Mansion Inn includes parking, breakfast, and full liquor happy hour in their rate, and it's a half block from the fun part of Duval St. This summer, I've seen great rates at Westin and Pier House, but it's off season now.

If you are looking for a beach vacation, Miami and Fort Lauderdale have much nicer beaches.

With 3 days I would consider the Hampton Inns in Key Largo and/or Marathon as your base. From either location it's much easier to get to Key West for a day trip as well as snorkeling at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo or sport fishing in Marathon.

The Hampton Inn in Key Largo is located on the water and every room has a sliding glass door to an outside patio so it's not unusual to see manatees surface in the bay.

Rent a car and go to Key West, you will enjoy the ride and Key West a lot more than Miami. There are things to do in the Miami area, but the city on an overall basis is not a safe one for tourists.

Definitely go to Key West for the few extra days. The drive down there is fun in itself...you will drive over so many bridges that you will lose track of how many it's been.

While in Key West be sure to visit the Key West Pretzel Company. The soft pretzels and strawberry lemonade are too die for

Many thanks for the tips! Definitely settled on doing at least 2 nights in Key West (to try out your recommendations!) and then maybe 1 final night in Miami nearer to the airport. I think we'll be getting plenty of beach action in Fort Lauderdale and on the Eastern Oasis itinerary so not too worried about not having as many in Key West.

Many thanks for the tips! Definitely settled on doing at least 2 nights in Key West (to try out your recommendations!) and then maybe 1 final night in Miami nearer to the airport.

Mark - if you are interested in nature and seeing flora and fauna in the wild that you won't see in the UK, consider making a 2 hour (or so) detour to Everglades National Park en route to or from the Keys. The entrance is only 15 minutes away from the intersection of the Florida Turnpike and Route 1 (the road through the Keys). The cost is only $10 per car and you'll certainly get your monies worth even with a short visit. In the winter the wildlife is absolutely incredible.

Stop at the Ernest Coe Visitor Center and watch the 15 - 20 minute movie. Then drive 5 more minutes to Royal Palm. It has a one mile or slightly less boardwalk that is fantastic. The alligators and birds are up close and personal (that is there is nothing to stop the alligators from sun bathing on the boardwalk :eek:). Park Rangers give guided walks/tours throughout the day too.

Make sure you stop at Robert Is Here (you can't miss it on the road between Route 1 and the Park entrance) and have a milk shake - key lime is my favorite!

Many thanks for the tips! Definitely settled on doing at least 2 nights in Key West (to try out your recommendations!) and then maybe 1 final night in Miami nearer to the airport. I think we'll be getting plenty of beach action in Fort Lauderdale and on the Eastern Oasis itinerary so not too worried about not having as many in Key West.

No need at all to stay near the airport on your final night.

Stay in South Beach! You'll have a blast.

Agree with Key West, my parents live there in the winter and I never tire of it. I'd probably skip the other side trips others have mentioned.

Archived