Can Passengers terminate cruise @ any scheduled port prior to final destination port?

I am curious, hence this hypothetical question:

let 's say, one sails on any given cruise itinerary and makes the ad hoc decision to remain @ a scheduled port, without finishing the entire cruise.

That is without any particular reason, other than perhaps wanting to stay longer at that location, or 'having met Santa and wants to hang out with him til x-mas' ... - so, no medical, mental, or other valid issues. Just a spur of the moment decision....

-its understood, no refund is expected for any unused portion of the remaining cruise. - and departing passenger assumes all consequential responsibilities.

Is 'premature voluntary debarkation' occasionally done or is it known to have been done before and what is the sequence of steps one has to follow, facilitating early debarkation - other than simply 'missing' the ship?

Does anyone has factual knowledge? :confused:

Thanks.

It can be done but, it has to be worked out with the cruise line prior to your departure so they know not to expect you back. You would want to make sure the port you left was one the ship docked. It would be a real hassle to schlepp bags onto a tender and into shore.

Jonathan

I am curious, hence this hypothetical question:

let 's say, one sails on any given cruise itinerary and makes the ad hoc decision to remain @ a scheduled port, without finishing the entire cruise.

That is without any particular reason, other than perhaps wanting to stay longer at that location, or 'having met Santa and wants to hang out with him til x-mas' ... - so, no medical, mental, or other valid issues. Just a spur of the moment decision....

-its understood, no refund is expected for any unused portion of the remaining cruise. - and departing passenger assumes all consequential responsibilities.

Is 'premature voluntary debarkation' occasionally done or is it known to have been done before and what is the sequence of steps one has to follow, facilitating early debarkation - other than simply 'missing' the ship?

Does anyone has factual knowledge? :confused:

Thanks.

Actually, for some cruises, not finishing a cruise on some itineraries will be considered a violation of the Passenger Services Vessels Act. Whether it was intentional or not. So if you are thinking about this do for real, you will need to first find out if it's legal and if so, get the permission in writing from the cruise line.

And yes, there's no prorating of a cruise. It's not like they can fill your cabin with another passenger in the middle of a cruise.

Something else that could throw a wrench in the plans of someone wanting to do this, is the availability of Customs & Immigration officials at whatever port this departure takes place. Even though one may have stopped at other ports in the same country, it is another thing to disembark the ship permently with ones luggage. This really isn't something one can pull off spur of the moment.

Something else that could throw a wrench in the plans of someone wanting to do this, is the availability of Customs & Immigration officials at whatever port this departure takes place. Even though one may have stopped at other ports in the same country, it is another thing to disembark the ship permently with ones luggage. This really isn't something one can pull off spur of the moment.

Agree..but not totally..we saw first hand during our western med cruise someone did need to leave the ship due to a family emergency..so assume this was actually not pre-planned...The ship helped him off with luggage and into a waiting taxi..what arrangements were made from that point...no idea.

We did dis-embakt at St. Thomas (last port of call) at our Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Serenade last year - we call RCCL prior to the cruise and was told that we should inform Guest Relations at our first cruise day - we were not the only guest - We did immigration in the morning and stayed at the ship until 3pm.

Yes -- it has been done by people.

But you have to arrange this way before your cruise -- and you need to get everything in writing.

This is because you will have to go through immigration when you leave the ship and that has to be arranged by the cruise line. You will be told what time you can leave the ship to meet with the authorities.

Also you will be charged -- usually around $300 per person to do this.

If it is approved, when you get on the ship -- go directly to the front desk and remind them of your plans -- sometimes they do not get the information from head quarters. If they don't have the information -- give them a copy of the written agreement that you got from the cruise line.

The $300 charge is if you disembark in another U.S. port. That fee is charged by CBP to the cruise line, who then forwards it to the guest. I'm not aware of any charges if you disembark in a non U.S. port.

Disembarking early is actually quite common on European Cruises and not normally a problem. You should contact (or have your TA contact) the cruise line prior to your cruise because most have a form that must be completed in advance. But, we are also aware of folks who have made last minute arrangements with Guest Relations while on Med cruises.

Hank

This is because you will have to go through immigration when you leave the ship and that has to be arranged by the cruise line. You will be told what time you can leave the ship to meet with the authorities.

At St. Thomas,RCCL Serenade at the Seas immigration was at the ship in the morning at we could stay on the ship all day -no charge. Might depend on the port of call

Yes -- it has been done by people.

But you have to arrange this way before your cruise -- and you need to get everything in writing.

If it is approved, when you get on the ship -- go directly to the front desk and remind them of your plans -- sometimes they do not get the information from head quarters. If they don't have the information -- give them a copy of the written agreement that you got from the cruise line.

In 2009 we decided to leave our TA on the Eurodam in Halifax instead of continuing to NYC as it made sense logistically. We made the decision two days before our arrival and simply informed the front desk we would be leaving. We were not charged any extra for doing so. We only had to sign a form saying we would not expect compensation for the missed part of the cruise.

We rented a car and were home in four hours.

Agree..but not totally..we saw first hand during our western med cruise someone did need to leave the ship due to a family emergency..so assume this was actually not pre-planned...The ship helped him off with luggage and into a waiting taxi..what arrangements were made from that point...no idea.
Granted, I could have added 'barring a medical or family emergency', but I figured posters were savvy enough to know those weren't pre-planned. :rolleyes: I don't believe the OP is asking about leaving a cruise early due to a medical emergency. One cruise we had a boat come out from a port we were passing to retrieve a passenger who had suffered a heart attack. I don't believe the OP is asking about doing that either, but apparently I should have mentioned we've seen that happen and heard of others who have been taken ashore by helicopter before the end of the cruise.

Granted, I could have added 'barring a medical or family emergency', but I figured posters were savvy enough to know those weren't pre-planned. :rolleyes: I don't believe the OP is asking about leaving a cruise early due to a medical emergency. One cruise we had a boat come out from a port we were passing to retrieve a passenger who had suffered a heart attack. I don't believe the OP is asking about doing that either, but apparently I should have mentioned we've seen that happen and heard of others who have been taken ashore by helicopter before the end of the cruise.

Yikes Mary Ellen...No need to substantiate your post with a :rolleyes: and sarcastic tone...I agreed with you and just merely gave some additional information..Perhaps not all cruisers as are "savvy" as you.;)....Peace out :)

We did dis-embakt at St. Thomas (last port of call) at our Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Serenade last year - we call RCCL prior to the cruise and was told that we should inform Guest Relations at our first cruise day - we were not the only guest - We did immigration in the morning and stayed at the ship until 3pm.

Rules are different for US citizens. Since you're from Denmark, the rules don't apply to you. The PVSA covers US citizens, and prevents passengers from just leaving the ship whenever they want. There is a fine involved if this Act is violated and the ship passes it on to the passenger. And, this act does not apply to cruises outside the US. But that's when cabotage laws kick in, for countries outside the US. Every country has their own laws pertaining to leaving cruises early.

Rules are different for US citizens. Since you're from Denmark, the rules don't apply to you. The PVSA covers US citizens, and prevents passengers from just leaving the ship whenever they want. There is a fine involved if this Act is violated and the ship passes it on to the passenger. And, this act does not apply to cruises outside the US. But that's when cabotage laws kick in, for countries outside the US. Every country has their own laws pertaining to leaving cruises early.

This is incorrect information.

EVERY guest sailing a cruise for which PVSA applies is subject to the provisions of PVSA. Citizenship of the guest is not relevant. It is not the guest, it is the foreign (not U.S.) flagged vessel.

That is a cabotage law for U.S but many countries have varying cabotage rules and you must clear in advance with your cruise line/ship if you wish to permananently disembark prior to the scheduled end of your cruise. The ship must confirm there will be Customs/Immigration Officials from the entry country to clear you and they are agreeable to allowing you entry. Entry as a group of guests on a ship is different than individually who are going ashore with no intention of reboarding the ship.

Almost always that permission is granted but you would do well to get the permission in writing (e-mail) prior to boarding and once you are on the ship, early in the cruise confirm with the front office so there will be no unpleasant surprise.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act does not apply to the Virgin Islands.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf

Application of the PVSA

1. Where Does the PVSA Apply?

The PVSA applies to the United States, including the island territories and possessions of the United States, e.g., Puerto Rico. See 46 U.S.C. § 55101(a). However, the coastwise laws generally do not apply to the following: 1) American Samoa; 2) the Northern Mariana Islands; 3) Canton Island; or 4) the Virgin Islands. See 46 U.S.C. § 55101(b).

Additionally (should the subject arise) there is a specific exemption in the law for passenger transport between the mainland US and Puerto Rico.

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

Excellent discussion and good to get some clarification for future cruises. Just to clarify - My cruise did start at San Juan and I did dis-embark in St. Thomas. Then possible. Prior to the sailing I did contact RCCL.

As others have said, the PVSA requirements have nothing to do with the citizenship of the passenger, but rather applies to foreign flagged (non US) vessels who fall under the law due to their itinerary. And the PVSA is only one issue. Other issues involve the cruise line's own policies and the laws of the country where one wants to debark. But as I said in my previous post, as a general rule its pretty easy to embark early in any EU country as long as you notify the cruise line in advance and follow their procedures.

And by the way, the PVSA does not prohibit a passenger from early debarkation. However, doing so may subject the cruise line to a fine. We have heard one case where a passenger did arrange to debark early in violation of the PVSA...but had to agree to pay the fine (I think it was $300 per person).

Hank

If a cruise line is found to allow those violations, they are subject to a severe fine far in excess of $300 per guest

Should someone die while on a cruise and their remains are disembarked before terms of PVSA have been met on that given cruise, application for waiver must be made and that waiver is not automatically granted.

If a cruise line is found to allow those violations, they are subject to a severe fine far in excess of $300 per guest

Should someone die while on a cruise and their remains are disembarked before terms of PVSA have been met on that given cruise, application for waiver must be made and that waiver is not automatically granted.

The standard PVSA fine, as established by federal law and the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) is still $300 per passenger/violation in cases where a passenger is permitted to "jump ship" at an intervening port. When allowed by a cruise line (and CBP) this fine is normally passed along to the passenger by the cruise line.

Of course there can be much more serious violations which would cost a cruise line big bucks if they got fined $300 for every passenger on a vessel. One good example was the recent Carnival ship that broke down in the Caribbean and was towed to a different port (then their starting port). In this case Carnival had to get a waiver (it was granted) to avoid the fine.

Hank

The standard PVSA fine, as established by federal law and the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) is still $300 per passenger/violation in cases where a passenger is permitted to "jump ship" at an intervening port. When allowed by a cruise line (and CBP) this fine is normally passed along to the passenger by the cruise line.

Of course there can be much more serious violations which would cost a cruise line big bucks if they got fined $300 for every passenger on a vessel. One good example was the recent Carnival ship that broke down in the Caribbean and was towed to a different port (then their starting port). In this case Carnival had to get a waiver (it was granted) to avoid the fine.

Hank

What Sail was saying is that the cruise ship can not just willingly allow people to pay $300 to break the law. There needs to be a valid reason why the law must be broken (i.e. medical emergency, death of loved one back home etc.). You can't just agree to pay $300 and leave the ship at a port that would violate the PVSA. If the cruise line allowed this, the cruise line could face stiffer sanctions/penalties than the $300 fine.

I have never seen anywhere in the PVSA where there is a provision for additional penalties. I do remember back in 2004, I think it was, when the Norwegian Star was cruising Hawaii, using Fanning Island as the foreign port, and she had one azipod break down. She could not make it to Fanning and back in the scheduled itinerary, so NCL paid $300 per person for about 2 months (6 cruises, I think) and used the ship around the Hawaiian islands. I seem to remember the company saying that the fine was per day as well, but I don't see wording to that effect in the act, and that might have been a CBP ruling.

Archived