Second cabin for showering?

erin6494

Hey folks, OP is the parent and knows all the history of their kids. I'm sure OP gets enough parenting advice from the in-laws without getting more from Cruise Critic.

Not that I didn't think the same thing, just not my place to say it.

This. Plus, say what you will about the Royal Princess, at least it has connecting cabin to eliminate the need for these sorts of gyrations.

When I was 17, I was already in college, on my own hundreds of miles from home. :) I think it's worth at least giving the 17YO the option to be in a cabin (as long as it's near the mini.)

Yes, well said. And at age 17 I took a Greyhound bus trip, from Madison, WI, to Chicago, and then continued on a train to my hometown. All by myself.

And also, at age 13, I stayed in a tent, at Boy Scout camp, with just another young teen.

Surely staying on a cruise ship, with parents right across the hall, is totally do-able.

This. Plus, say what you will about the Royal Princess, at least it has connecting cabin to eliminate the need for these sorts of gyrations.

OP is not considering connecting cabins.

Ironically, the ship they are booked on does have some connecting cabins.

What the OP asked will work fine for them.

Good morning~

My family of 4 (kids will be 13 and 17) are currently booked in our favorite mini-suite on the Coral. I just discovered it is about $500 less to book two of us in the mini and two across the hall in an inside (plus additional OBC). Would they let us use the second cabin for showering and storage but have us all sleep in the mini? I am not ready to let the kids have their own room all night long.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Erin

At 13 and 17, you can not trust your kids to stay in their rooms and sleep? Seems like this is a bit over protective. The 17 year old will be off to college in a year - what do you plan to do then?

DON

Good morning~

My family of 4 (kids will be 13 and 17) are currently booked in our favorite mini-suite on the Coral. I just discovered it is about $500 less to book two of us in the mini and two across the hall in an inside (plus additional OBC). Would they let us use the second cabin for showering and storage but have us all sleep in the mini? I am not ready to let the kids have their own room all night long.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Erin

Somebody told me this story. Parents got 2 cabins, but kids didn't want to stay on their own, so they camped out with parents. In the morning the room steward came in for cleaning, discovered untouched beds that nobody slept in, and called security to look for 2 children. Make sure the steward knows, or make some mess in the other room :)

At 13 and 17, you can not trust your kids to stay in their rooms and sleep? Seems like this is a bit over protective. The 17 year old will be off to college in a year - what do you plan to do then?

DON

Come on people. OP's judgment should not be questioned here. They know their kids, we do not. It's not our business to tell them how to parent.

How would you all feel if you someone told you OP's kids were Special Needs kids?

:mad:

Earlier this year, we booked two rooms with the same arrangements. Grandma and a little one would stay in the inside room. Wife, myself, and another little one wouls stay in the mini suite. Three days before the cruise, we were upgraded to a family suite. Maybe the OP will have the same luck. Yes, I also had do not upgrade.

Earlier this year, we booked two rooms with the same arrangements. Grandma and a little one would stay in the inside room. Wife, myself, and another little one wouls stay in the mini suite. Three days before the cruise, we were upgraded to a family suite. Maybe the OP will have the same luck. Yes, I also had do not upgrade.

Now that would be a great surprise!!! :D

Now that would be a great surprise!!! :D

It was to us! When my TA called to let me know, I kept the news to myself. No one knew about this until we went to the room. I am surprised that the wife did not say anything to me as we were walking toward the front of the ship rather than aft as we normally do.

The phrase "I am not ready to let the kids have their own room all night long" does not suggest that.

Well fine, my example wasn't perfect. I do believe my point is valid.

Many posters are sharing their stories of youthful independence without judging the OP, others are not.

It was to us! When my TA called to let me know, I kept the news to myself. No one knew about this until we went to the room. I am surprised that the wife did not say anything to me as we were walking toward the front of the ship rather than aft as we normally do.

Too funny! I always have an instant sense of which is aft and forward on a cruise from day one... my DH just follows me. ;)

They should be able to make you an extra key card with no charging privs when you repeat that you are being a pro-active parent to your under 18 children across the hall. It is easy to do. If they won't, ask for a supervisor to get it for you.

If the OP stays with four booked into a mini-suite, they will not get the upgrade you did.

If they do switch to two rooms, the possibility is there.

One child has to be at least 16 for the cabin to be booked without having to evolve booking with one adult in the room. We booked two rooms when our children were 14 and 17 because it was also less expensive. The worst fear was how sloppy they would be. Every morning my wife would go next door and straighten up before the room steward made up the room. There are 17yr old kids who are away at college and 18 year young men and women in foreign countries serving in the military. The fact that you are skeptical of letting them sleep across the hall tells me that you raised them to know right from wrong. Trust your parenting skills and allow them the privilege (stress this to them) of having their own room.

My (then) 17 year old would have been having wild parties, ignoring all the rules, dragging her younger siblings into it and causing General Mayhem. There was no limit to her "creativity". The peace of mind and direct supervision would have been worth the interruption of DH and my privacy. Not saying that this is the same for the OP but you never know what people are experiencing.

I would have trusted her more at 14. Luckily her wild rebellion only lasted 2 very long and stressful years. Now as she is approaching motherhood at 34, I cannot decide whether I hope she has one just like her and that I live long enough to see it or pray she is spared the grief and anxiety.

Good morning~

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Erin

We did this on our trans pacific a few years ago, the kids did sleep in the inside cabin across from ours (there choice) and loved having there independence and I loved them not having the balcony cabin next door which is what we originally booked for them as they were a lot younger (7 and 11).

We had no problem getting them keys for our cabin and us keys for there's.

Many thanks for the input and the wealth of unsolicited parenting advice!

For those that are so curious about my reason for wanting us to all sleep in the same cabin...

This is our last family vacation before our son leaves for college and I would like to spend as much of it as a family as possible. We enjoy spending the time together as a family that we do not get to spend at home and I feel that would be diminished by not waking up to eat breakfast together, winding down together to discuss our day in the evening, etc. It is not a trust issue nor an issue of being overprotective (they have both been away from home for extended periods of time), rather an issue of me wishing to savor our last chance to enjoy this type of family trip as a family.

My TA is looking into the possibility of adding an inside without losing our coveted cabin. If it works, great, we will have an extra bath and some extra cash to spend. If not, that is fine too, we will enjoy spending time together as a family in the cabin we love.

We took our 18 year old grandson one year. We had the balcony cabin and he was in across the hall in the inside cabin. It worked wonderfully. Teenagers have a different body clock than us. He could stay up later and sleep much later than us. Our cabin steward kept an eye on him too and would always report to us that he was in his room. We would leave our door ajar whenever we were just lounging and he could join us on the balcony when ever we/he wanted..

To the OP do what you wish and ignore all the so called "advice" of the other posters who do not know you or your family. Set it up the way you want, have a great cruise and enjoy YOUR time with your family. No explanations are needed. Have fun.

Archived