Second cabin for showering?

erin6494

Good morning~

My family of 4 (kids will be 13 and 17) are currently booked in our favorite mini-suite on the Coral. I just discovered it is about $500 less to book two of us in the mini and two across the hall in an inside (plus additional OBC). Would they let us use the second cabin for showering and storage but have us all sleep in the mini? I am not ready to let the kids have their own room all night long.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Erin

If you book and pay for two cabins, you can adjust your sleeping arrangements once onboard and get extra non-charging cruise cards. Just make sure the mini has four beds. The couch opens up to a single bed, not a double. You'd need a cabin with a bunk bed that comes down from the ceiling.

Thanks, Pam! We are definitely in a 4 person mini but thought it made a lot of sense to add the inside if it is cheaper. I was unsure if Princess would agree :) Is it easy to get the extra keys?

Since you've already made sure you have a 4 person mini-suite, then this should work just fine. I would make sure your cabins are marked "No Upgrade." Imagine if your mini-suite was upgraded to a room that didn't support 4 people? Or what if the other cabin you book is upgraded and it is far from your mini-suite?

Once onboard I would talk with your cabin steward so they know what to do for your turn down service. I think this is a wonderful idea and I'm glad you get an extra shower and closet... as well as save money! :D

Also nice to have the second cabin for when you and hubby (I'm assuming you're the wife ;) ) want some alone time with a guarantee that the kids won't bust in on you. Just make sure the kids don't have the key to that cabin. :)

Thanks everyone for the advice! If it is possible, I will have my TA make the switch. We are marked no upgrade as we love our cabin (last Aft cabin on Coral with a bit of a wrap around balcony, overs spectacular views!)

If you book and pay for two cabins, you can adjust your sleeping arrangements once onboard and get extra non-charging cruise cards. Just make sure the mini has four beds. The couch opens up to a single bed, not a double. You'd need a cabin with a bunk bed that comes down from the ceiling.

In November 2008 (our first cruise) we had a mini suite, on the Coral, with a chesterfield, that opened to a double bed. I don't recall the deck, but the # was 503.:D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

26th cruise - Royal Princess, 14 November - 01 December, 2013, Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

27th cruise - Regal Princess, 02 June - 19 June, 2014, Venice - Barcelona, - Venice 17 days

28th cruise - Royal Princess 19 - 29 Dec, 2014, Christmas, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

29th cruise - Royal Princess 29 Dec - 08 Jan. 2014/2015, New Years, Fort Lauderdale. Ret.

Good morning~

My family of 4 (kids will be 13 and 17) are currently booked in our favorite mini-suite on the Coral. I just discovered it is about $500 less to book two of us in the mini and two across the hall in an inside (plus additional OBC). Would they let us use the second cabin for showering and storage but have us all sleep in the mini? I am not ready to let the kids have their own room all night long.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Erin

I think it is a great idea. Too bad it could not be adjoining connecting cabins because that would be even better.

If it was not for the single supplement I would always get two cabins.

I don't think the adult rule applies as long as the cabin is across the hall.

With that said, with a 17 and 13 year old, why not let them have the cabin? Just make sure you put in some ground rules. I think you'll be much happier.

Definitely, let the 17 year old and the 13 year old have a shot at their own room. The 17 year old is old enough for college, or almost, and the 13 year old is old enough for summer camp. Let them try it. It should be a good experience for all.

Bon voyage!

PS - even if they are siblings who fight, I am sure they will be on their best behavior.

I do empathise with the OP being reluctant to have the children in a seperate cabin.

We too considered two cabins but for us it worked out much cheaper for us to share a mini suite as we usually do.

Practically the idea of an extra bathroom and storage would be great particulary when you have teenage daughters. However irrational it maybe as a mother I know I will be happier to have them in the cabin with us a night. Also being that on ship they tend to stay out later than us it will be easier for us to enforce their curfews from the same cabin!

Also surprisingly enough the girls also prefer to sleep in the one cabin.

So yes I would definately book the extra cabin but would want to be sure we could all sleep in the mini suite.

PS Our daughters are 19 and 15 years old- honestly I am not an over protective mum!:o

Definitely' date=' let the 17 year old and the 13 year old have a shot at their own room. The 17 year old is old enough for college, or almost, and the 13 year old is old enough for summer camp. Let them try it. It should be a good experience for all.

Bon voyage!

PS - even if they are siblings who fight, I am sure they will be on their best behavior.[/quote']

I agree, if you are going to have the 2 cabins, why all be cramped in the one ? Even if it is a suite. Lay down the rules with them , and keep an eye on them. I sure they will be fine, especially at their ages.

They have their room and bathroom, you and DH have yours.

I agree, if you are going to have the 2 cabins, why all be cramped in the one ? Even if it is a suite. Lay down the rules with them , and keep an eye on them. I sure they will be fine, especially at their ages.

Can't believe you wouldn't let a 17 & 13 yr old be in a cabin by themselves.

Give it a try :) ;)

Gotta know your kids and they have to know that rules, boundaries etc are serious.

OP doesn't mention if these are girls, boys or one of each.

On one of our family cruises, one of the three teen nephews sharing a room didn't follow the "rules" of the family, bringing a couple of newly formed "acquantances " into their room later in the evening rather than keeping get togethers with other teens in public spaces. A BIG rule broken. He ended up being "grounded" the next night. Most 17 year olds will be hanging around with kids 17 and older. Really need to be careful.

It's up to the parents. The extra room for getting ready and parent's privacy would be a nice plus tho.

Well said, Fue Fue.

If the 17 year old can't handle a room, what happens when he or she is ready to go to college? Give it a try.

Young people need to be given a chance.

Bon voyage!

Hi

We just travelled in a balcony room with an inside opposite for our 2 teens and it worked really well - we have previously managed with all of us in the same room. There just needs to be 1 person over 16 staying in a room so you would be fine with that. The only issue we encountered was that we could not get extra room cards so that we could all enter both rooms but it was not a major problem.

The extra space and 2 bathrooms was a real bonus and like you, it was cheaper to have 2 rooms. I certainly hope we can do it again next time - enjoy!!

DH and I let his children, 18 and 16, share a room. We did set ground rules such as no visitors to the cabin and to be in back in the room no later than midnight.

Consequences for breaking the rules would be a parent in each room and no more sharing of the cabin. The kids did fine. They certainly didn't want to share with step-mom or dad.:eek:

We also made a point of meeting their cabin steward, as he was different than ours, and giving him our stateroom number in case of any problems or emergencies.

Your children are a little younger, but I would give it a try and see how it goes.

My kids were almost the exact same ages (12 and 17) and we had them in an inside cabin, while dh and I were in a balcony down the hall. This was on Norwegian. We had to book with an adult in each room, but no one said anything about them staying in the room by themselves. It worked out perfectly. It definitely depends on the kids, but I also feel that 17 is plenty old enough to be trusted. I think people in general rise to the occasion.

It's funny, but a year or two older is when you have to watch it! They think they're adults and can do whatever they want!

Hey folks, OP is the parent and knows all the history of their kids. I'm sure OP gets enough parenting advice from the in-laws without getting more from Cruise Critic.

Not that I didn't think the same thing, just not my place to say it.

If the 17 year old can't handle a room' date=' what happens when he or she is ready to go to college? Give it a try.[/quote']When I was 17, I was already in college, on my own hundreds of miles from home. :) I think it's worth at least giving the 17YO the option to be in a cabin (as long as it's near the mini.)

Archived