We're not off to a very good start here.

Sopwith

I think the free air depends on the trip, if it is worth it or not, or free or not.

For our upcoming October trip, we took an air credit of $850 pp from Oceania, and were able to purchase great routing of our choice, arriving in advance of the cruise and staying after the cruise, for $856 pp.

So right on the money, and when we factor in the deviation fee we avoided, we did considerably better.

I think the free air depends on the trip, if it is worth it or not, or free or not.

For our upcoming October trip, we took an air credit of $850 pp from Oceania, and were able to purchase great routing of our choice, arriving in advance of the cruise and staying after the cruise, for $856 pp.

So right on the money, and when we factor in the deviation fee we avoided, we did considerably better.

Sometimes it works out well sometimes not

For a TA cruise it would have cost us over $2500 so paying the deviation fee was a no brainer for us

You must evaluate your own requirements vs taking the air from Oceania

JMO

This is exactly what my sister and I did for our up-coming Sept..6 cruise on Regatta. We got the flights/dates we wanted at a cost we were willing to pay.

Donna

This is exactly what my sister and I did for our up-coming Sept..6 cruise on Regatta. We got the flights/dates we wanted at a cost we were willing to pay.

Donna

We also took the air credit and are looking into flights now. We just don't like making too many stops, but are looking at three now. I see you are in the same state we are, and on the same cruise.

When we booked our cruise, our travel agent told us about the air fare issues with Oceania. First, the deviations were possible. We were told it was possible for us to be booked from Philly through Chicago to get to JFK or Newark. Also, TA advised if we were going to opt to do our own air, we should make that decision at time of cruise booking since it was a real possibility that as we got closer to our cruise date and then opted to do our own air, the Oceania credit would be reduced. Apparently the closer you get to your cruise date the lower the air credit.

We booked our own air fare and pre/post hotel.

When we booked our cruise, our travel agent told us about the air fare issues with Oceania. First, the deviations were possible. We were told it was possible for us to be booked from Philly through Chicago to get to JFK or Newark. Also, TA advised if we were going to opt to do our own air, we should make that decision at time of cruise booking since it was a real possibility that as we got closer to our cruise date and then opted to do our own air, the Oceania credit would be reduced. Apparently the closer you get to your cruise date the lower the air credit.

I have never heard of this and am concerned that your TA does not have much experience with Oceania. What your TA should have said is that the closer you get to the cruise date, the less choices you will have of flights since they will get booked up. There is no reason that I know of to make an air decision at the time of booking -- we have never done that. Sometimes people book a year and advance and they could not do a deviation if they wanted to since the airlines won't allow booking that far in advance.

Glad you visited Cruise Critic for the real story:)

Yes, the earlier you book flights, within reasonable limits, whether cruise air or on your own, the more choices you will have and usually lower fares. However unless added to travel insurance the self booked air can incur losses if cancelled whereas O's air is cancelable along with the cruise and its possible penalty.

So we've completed our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera. It was great! Very satisfied, and we will definitely cruise with O again.

Now, about the air deviation deal. I took the opportunity to discuss the deal with the O Club Ambassador, or the future cruise lady, I'm not sure which she was. She did have little or no interest in listening to my issue, however. She initially tried to blame it on the TA, which came over as a cheap shot. It very quickly became evident that both I and my TA know more about airline booking classes than she did. (For the record, I am a frequent flyer and know the game pretty well. My TA used to work for one of the major airlines, booking cruise passengers, so she also knows the game inside out.)

In any event, here is what I was told. Oceania contracts with several of the major airlines (not all, based on my experience) for their air travel. They book the lowest priced, cheap crap booking class they can lay their hands on (no surprise there). Moreover, they commit to a minimum number of seats; she said per flight, but I'm a little suspicious and think it might be per route. The credit you are offered depends on whether they think they can sell the seats they have committed to. If it is close to sailing date, the credit will be less. The most credit you will ever be offered is $300 in North America and $900 to Europe (if your experience is different, please don't flame the messenger, that is what I was told.). It is also noteworthy that the credit will be the same regardless of where you travel to or from within NA or to/fro Europe.

So, what can we conclude from this? Firstly, Oceania is a first class product, once you're on the ship. The air travel is a different matter. As we all know, "free" does not mean "free". It means you pay for it whether you use it or not. If you're prepared to accept the cheap crap booking class they offer you, it is a good deal. If you're the least bit fussy about schedule, routing, seat selection, etc, you may be better off sucking it up, taking the financial hit and booking your own. It is probably not worth the deviation fee to have them do it. If you can't do it yourself, most TAs will charge about a third of that to do it. The one good feature is that you can see what they offer you before you decide whether to accept it.

Finally, once you understand the air deviation game, it makes all the advertised cost comparisons to other cruise lines invalid.

For those interested in details of these types of tickets there is a very good explanation of cruise line air as a sticky post CC's air board.

Often see posts that they cannot get a better price on their own or want a larger air credit, or frustrated they cannot use points etc but do not understand what is being sold what they buy the 'free air' or the pricing would be more understood. It is indeed a matter of getting what you pay for.

The cheap crap booking class has always worked for us I am not worried about points so that may be the reason

I get the flights/routing I want with the deviation fee for less that booking my own air

I can live with not being able to upgrade my seats well in advance.

I am on the flight

It is really a personal choice, different strokes etc..

At least you enjoyed the cruise;)

Lyn

I'm with you, Lyn. The cheap crap booking class usually works for us too.

Edited by YoHoHo

I have never heard of this and am concerned that your TA does not have much experience with Oceania. What your TA should have said is that the closer you get to the cruise date, the less choices you will have of flights since they will get booked up. There is no reason that I know of to make an air decision at the time of booking -- we have never done that. Sometimes people book a year and advance and they could not do a deviation if they wanted to since the airlines won't allow booking that far in advance.

Glad you visited Cruise Critic for the real story:)

Travelcat..Air fare credits Oceania gives can and sometimes do go down closer to final payment ..so if the credit Oceania offers you at booking time is $1000 per person then at final payment several months away it can be $800 per person as an example..It is not unusual for this to happen

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

Travelcat..Air fare credits Oceania gives can and sometimes do go down closer to final payment ..so if the credit Oceania offers you at booking time is $1000 per person then at final payment several months away it can be $800 per person as an example..It is not unusual for this to happen

Jancruz1

Wow -- thank you for correcting me. I assumed that Oceania and Regent would have the same policy on credits. This is something I had not heard of and it makes me happy that we do not use Oceania air (but do use Regent air most of the time). :o

Sometimes it works out well sometimes not

For a TA cruise it would have cost us over $2500 so paying the deviation fee was a no brainer for us

You must evaluate your own requirements vs taking the air from Oceania

JMO

With our October cruise, our TA was able to waive the air deviation for us because we stayed at the Oceania precruise hotel in Athens. We don't pay air differentials. We didnt accept the first itinerary which was unacceptable because we'd have to catch a flight at 6 or 7am; or two stops before getting into destination. The next itinerary were usually much improved.

I'm surprised that our TA asked us to book air now for our Sep 2014 cruise already! I paid air deviation this time though.

Jancruz1

Hmm...I have to check with my TA. My cabin mate is taking the credit, which is only $850 for our Sep cruise. Good to know.Thanks!

Sue

Hmm...I have to check with my TA. My cabin mate is taking the credit, which is only $850 for our Sep cruise. Good to know.Thanks!

Sue

I think Jan was just using the amount as an example the credits vary by cruise itinerary

With our October cruise, our TA was able to waive the air deviation for us because we stayed at the Oceania precruise hotel in Athens. We don't pay air differentials. We didnt accept the first itinerary which was unacceptable because we'd have to catch a flight at 6 or 7am; or two stops before getting into destination. The next itinerary were usually much improved.

I'm surprised that our TA asked us to book air now for our Sep 2014 cruise already! I paid air deviation this time though.

If you take the Oceania hotel pre or post cruise there is no deviation fee

Wow -- thank you for correcting me. I assumed that Oceania and Regent would have the same policy on credits. This is something I had not heard of and it makes me happy that we do not use Oceania air (but do use Regent air most of the time). :o

TC, if you take O's air at the time of booking and don't change your mind later, any changes in air credit will not affect you. It's only in the rare instance that you wait until later to cancel the air and take the credit that it might make a difference. It's part of O's pricing strategy; if you make a late reservation, you won't get as much air credit as those who book early. It always pays to book as early as possible with O -- most experienced guests book on the day an itinerary becomes available.

TC, if you take O's air at the time of booking and don't change your mind later, any changes in air credit will not affect you. It's only in the rare instance that you wait until later to cancel the air and take the credit that it might make a difference.

TC, Regent has the same policy as outlined by Don in his message above.

Edited by DaveFr

TC, Regent has the same policy as outlined by Don in his message above.

Thanks Don and Dave! I am having difficulty understanding this.

So, if we book a cruise using Regent or Oceania air 18 months before a cruise and do not opt out of included air and then, at 280 days, decide to deviate, the credit will probably be less than if we deviated when we booked?

This would mean that we are booking a cruise - opting out of Regent or Oceania air immediately -- even though we can not deviate for several months and do not know what the flights would be. Is this correct?

Lastly, if we opt out of "included" air when we book, is there a problem if we decide to use Regent's or Oceania's included air at a later date?

I'm wondering how we've done 16 cruises on Regent without knowing this:o

Thanks Don and Dave! I am having difficulty understanding this.

So, if we book a cruise using Regent or Oceania air 18 months before a cruise and do not opt out of included air and then, at 280 days, decide to deviate, the credit will probably be less than if we deviated when we booked?

If you do not opt out of included air, with or without a deviation, the amount of the credit is irrelevant since you only get an air credit if you opt out of included air.

This would mean that we are booking a cruise - opting out of Regent or Oceania air immediately -- even though we can not deviate for several months and do not know what the flights would be. Is this correct?

I think you are worrying needlessly. With one exception, the air credit has remained the same on all my Regent cruises. In any event, I do not believe it really matters. If the air credit has gone down since you booked and opted out of included air, my understanding is that Regent or Oceania will recover the full amount of the air credit you were given previously.

Lastly, if we opt out of "included" air when we book, is there a problem if we decide to use Regent's or Oceania's included air at a later date?

I believe you can opt into included air at a later date. However, you must do so before final payment.

I'm wondering how we've done 16 cruises on Regent without knowing this:o

TC, I've answered your questions above. I agree that it's confusing. The bottom line is that if you take the included air, with or without a deviation, it does not matter what the air credit is since you do not receive it. If you decide to opt out, the air credit in effect on the opt out date is what you will get.

Hope this is not as clear as mud. :D

TC, I've answered your questions above. I agree that it's confusing. The bottom line is that if you take the included air, with or without a deviation, it does not matter what the air credit is since you do not receive it. If you decide to opt out, the air credit in effect on the opt out date is what you will get.

Hope this is not as clear as mud. :D

Okay -- it is clear. One post (the one referencing a TA's comments) made it sound like a sliding scale...... the longer you take to opt out and take the air credit, the lower the credit will be.

I had a slight interest with Oceania because we are doing round-trip Miami and opted out immediately when we booked.

In any event, thanks for taking the time to help me realize that in our case, it doesn't matter too much:-)

Travelcat2 - In our experience the amount of air credit did not change, so I imagine it is cruise specific.

We booked a cruise for October, 2014 in May, 2013. We were quoted the air credit would be $850 pp if we did not use O air. We made the booking with the O air in place, figuring we'd remove it later and get the credit if we wanted to.

We were recently able to find a great air routing at a great price, and booked our air independently. Just this week, about 260 days from sailing, I had our TA remove the O air and give us the credit, which was still $850 pp.

YMMV

We usually take the credit and it's always been a different amount depending on our destination (and from where we were flying as well). The one absolute is that we used to get much larger air credits than we do now!

Mura

We usually take the credit and it's always been a different amount depending on our destination (and from where we were flying as well). The one absolute is that we used to get much larger air credits than we do now!

Mura

In the past we have always taken the credit and since we leave from a major hub (NY) we were always able to get a good air fare that came close to the credit. The last year or two we have noticed that the credit has dropped dramatically and it has become pretty impossible to get an airfare on your own anywhere near the credit given. In addition to the dropped credit Oceania has increased the deviation fee several times. I wish Oceania would waive the deviation for those wanting to arrive a day early so as to avoid lateness in airline schedules/weather/etc.

In the past we have always taken the credit and since we leave from a major hub (NY) we were always able to get a good air fare that came close to the credit. The last year or two we have noticed that the credit has dropped dramatically and it has become pretty impossible to get an airfare on your own anywhere near the credit given. In addition to the dropped credit Oceania has increased the deviation fee several times. I wish Oceania would waive the deviation for those wanting to arrive a day early so as to avoid lateness in airline schedules/weather/etc.

Definitely feel that Oceania (and Regent) should not impose a deviation fee for those guests that arrive a day early to insure that they do not miss the ship. After all, they are already paying to stay in a hotel. IMHO, there should not be a penalty imposed!

Edited by Travelcat2

I do not understand why people think they have to get their own airfare equal to the credit Oceania gives you :confused:

Oceania buys bulk tickets at a low price point they are not going to be giving a credit to you for more than they are paying for the tickets :rolleyes:

Sometimes you can find a deal that works out less than what Oceania gives you but sometimes not

As I have said many many times

do the research & do what works best for you

In addition to the dropped credit Oceania has increased the deviation fee several times. I wish Oceania would waive the deviation for those wanting to arrive a day early so as to avoid lateness in airline schedules/weather/etc.

Heartily agree with this sentiment; from your mouth to Oceania's ears!:)

We really took a chance in January on our RT Miami Caribbean cruise with the weather, and were very, very fortunate. I simply refused to spent an extra $300 to arrive one day early; on the other hand, I always arrive minimum one day early and pay this fee on our European cruises.