We're not off to a very good start here.

Sopwith

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Oceania included air is a gift to us as Canadians. Only once have we booked our own air, last winter for Beijing to Bangkok. We were unable to secure decent flights with a deviation. They were getting more flights later, but no ideas re itinerary or pricing.

We were able to book our own when we added the deviation fee to the allowance. I spent most of the day, a Sunday, booking our flights. I immediately forwarded to our travel agent, fearing for some strange reason that the allowance would be changed by the Monday. Indeed, it went down by a few hundred pp, and they honoured the original quote. That time it worked in our favour to book our own.

We have no significant points and always fly economy. I always price the flights and often they are more than the cost of our cruise. Once on a TA, the cheapest open jaw tickets were almost 3X what we paid for everything.

Needless to say, we love O included air. Also, I have priced similar cruises on other lines and when I add the airfare, it is always significantly more.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I also love oceania air. Don't remove it!

For those who don't like it, don't take it.

We would have to pay much more if we did the air on our own.

Oceania is not going to credit you more than what they pay.

I don't understand why people are complaining.

I don't understand why people are complaining.

Because they don't understand that Oceania gets "wholesale" prices on their air tickets.

When you ask for a deviation, Oceania has to purchase "retail" tickets for you. When you ask for a credit, you only get the "wholesale" price.

So, if you want a bargain on airfare -- accept Oceania's "free" offer and fly whatever routes you get. If you demand to pick the best itineraries, they understand that you will have to pay (retail) for the privilege. It's your choice, but there is no "door C."

Edited by jazzbeau

Because they don't understand that Oceania gets "wholesale" prices on their air tickets.

When you ask for a deviation, Oceania has to purchase "retail" tickets for you. When you ask for a credit, you only get the "wholesale" price.

So, if you want a bargain on airfare -- accept Oceania's "free" offer and fly whatever routes you get. If you demand to pick the best itineraries, they understand that you will have to pay (retail) for the privilege. It's your choice, but there is no "door C."

Wouldn't say the tickets Regent gets are wholesale, they are called bulk or Contract pricing and in some cases, Oceania could run out of their allotment of these bulk tickets and pay the same or similar prices that the average person pays.

Having said the above, sincerely doubt that Oceania or any other cruise line including air in their prices will provide a refund of the full amount the cruise line would have paid for the customers tickets. The cruise line can refund any amount that they choose and keep the balance as increased profit depending on the circumstances at that particular time. Appears that refunds have been decreasing as the economy and booking increase and sure that will continue as long as Oceania continues to fill or almost fill their ships. Should the economy or booking decrease, we might see an increase in the amount of refund.

Another piece of the puzzle is the fact that any refunds for unwanted airline flights is based on a fixed amount for each cruise and not based on the location of the passenger. That means that people departing from locations closer to the cruise departure point whose "retail" air fairs would be less expensive that someone on the other side of the country would be able to purchase on their own a cheaper ticket in lieu of using Oceania air and that people living further would pay more since their tickets would be more expensive yet both would receive the same amount of money refunded from Ocreania.

For examply we could have people going on a European cruise from New York City as well as Hawaii. The Oceania refund is most likely based on an average from the US to Europe which would probably be somewhere in the middle of the US. The people from New York City could purchase on their own a much cheaper ticket to Europe than the people in Hawaii thus for New York City, the refund might actually be more than the price of the ticket while the for the people in Hawaii, they most probably would pay much more for the purchased ticket than what they got refunded.

There is much more that goes into the issue of Oceania Air vs purchasing your own ticket than the simple explanations provided and every case is different. This is NOT one size fits all.

Thanks for all the background info. Airfares today are very complicated and changes on a moments notice. I am not complaining but something has changed over the years in the amount that O credits if not using their air. It has gone done significantly.

Thanks for all the background info. Airfares today are very complicated and changes on a moments notice. I am not complaining but something has changed over the years in the amount that O credits if not using their air. It has gone done significantly.

Assume that is true based on all the comments to that and the answer is simple, Oceania is keeping more of the money that they would otherwise refund. Increases their bottom line as as long as the economy is good they can continue that approach. Simply the same as pricing of other things; it's what the market will accept and continue to buy.

I noticed to book my own air the prices have gone up :eek:

Caught in a catch 22 situation

Edited by LHT28

Assume that is true based on all the comments to that and the answer is simple, Oceania is keeping more of the money that they would otherwise refund. Increases their bottom line as as long as the economy is good they can continue that approach. Simply the same as pricing of other things; it's what the market will accept and continue to buy.

That is very true. In March of 2013 I took a roundtrip from Miami, I live in NYC. The air credit was 400$ pp. I am taking a roundtrip from Miami in March 2014 and the air credit is 300$ pp. I buy my owne as I go a day early and do not want to pay the devation fee. I paid about the same for the air RT Newark. Oceania made a extra 200$.

We leave in two months for our Riviera Caribbean cruise. I saw last week that our included air (no deviation) actual plane flights were listed on the My Trips portion of Oceania's website. We are not flying our usual airline (for which our May Riviera cruise already is listed on the personal section of Delta's website, so no worries there).

When do we receive our actual tickets?

We leave in two months for our Riviera Caribbean cruise. I saw last week that our included air (no deviation) actual plane flights were listed on the My Trips portion of Oceania's website. We are not flying our usual airline (for which our May Riviera cruise already is listed on the personal section of Delta's website, so no worries there).

Now Pam, please don't get the uninitiated running in small circles. :p

Airline Tickets are paperless these days; simply know your flight time & flight number, then show up at the Airport with the proper ID. :D

We usually get e-tickets with final invoice ( I think)

about 3 wks prior to cruise

I usually just get my boarding passes the day before ..no need to show anything other than I.D.

It has been a few months & my mind is elsewhere :eek:

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Now Pam, please don't get the uninitiated running in small circles. :p

Airline Tickets are paperless these days; simply know your flight time & flight number, then show up at the Airport with the proper ID. :D

Jim, those of us out here in the hinterlands always have have had e-tickets with a barcode!:p

I hope Lyn is right about our final documents including them.

Edited by CintiPam

Jim, those of us out here in the hinterlands always have have had e-tickets with a barcode!:p

I hope Lyn is right about our final documents including them.

I think Jim is correct :o

We will find out soon

What is this barcode of what you speak?? Ever since the e-ticket, the only paper one needs is the boarding pass that can only be gotten within 24 hours of departure and it has what might be called a barcode but, the only thing you need until you print your boarding pass is your confirmation code.

This is the way it works world wide so don't know what this talk regarding a barcode needed in the hinterlands means??

And, as orchestrapal mentioned, you can get a boarding pass simply by shoving your passport into a check-in kiosk. At least, everyone else but me can; I manage to shove it in the wrong way, or something. So, I now get mine by checking in on line within 24 hours. That's when I get the barcode.

What is this barcode of what you speak?? Ever since the e-ticket, the only paper one needs is the boarding pass that can only be gotten within 24 hours of departure and it has what might be called a barcode but, the only thing you need until you print your boarding pass is your confirmation code.

This is the way it works world wide so don't know what this talk regarding a barcode needed in the hinterlands means??

Thanks, Dave, it really is the confirmation code that I need to feel reassured that I actually have these flights and that indeed is on the Oceania website. I will see what my final documents include.

Edited by CintiPam

And, as orchestrapal mentioned, you can get a boarding pass simply by shoving your passport into a check-in kiosk. At least, everyone else but me can; I manage to shove it in the wrong way, or something. So, I now get mine by checking in on line within 24 hours. That's when I get the barcode.

Speaking of electronic advances, I was really impressed by the new JFK Delta terminal area for immigration and customs which I used last month. While in June (our return from Prague), we were given special orange passes to use for both immigration and customs if your connecting flight was less than THREE hours away because the newly-renovated terminal was a mess. The same area last month (my return from Amsterdam) had dozens of machines for US passport holders that when you inserted your passport cleared you for immigration and supplied you with a cash-register type of receipt to give to US Customs so the age-old US customs form supplied on the plane was simply garbage.

Edited by CintiPam

"Free" airfare just worked well for me

We just booked an Alaskan cruise for June 2014

Airfare credit was 550 pp

I would have had to pay adel 300 for deviation

I just booked my own tickets for 450 for the dates I wanted

Also booked on Delta, where I have status, and will not [ay for bags.

I am ahead of the game

Thank you O.

• 2 months later...
As long time cruisers, mostly with HAL and Princess, we recently booked our first Oceania cruise, looking for a more upscale experience in the face of declining product from the others. I looked at this as a great opportunity for O to win us over from HAL.

We booked the cruise and then got into the air deviation game. We asked for specific flights and a return about 10 days after the cruise from a different city. They have proposed a $150 each deviation fee, fair enough, but on top of that they want another $400 each for the price differential. Based on the fares I see from the airlines, I don't believe this truly represents the extra they will actually pay.

The real problem arises when we asked for a credit if we book our own air, and were offered a paltry $199 each for a transcon return flight. It looks like they have offered the taxes, and not much else.

Bottom line, the extra $1100 they're asking for is interestingly just a few dollars less than what it would net out at if we book our own air.

I'm not getting a good feeling here, and I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Oceania.

So we've completed our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera. It was great! Very satisfied, and we will definitely cruise with O again.

Now, about the air deviation deal. I took the opportunity to discuss the deal with the O Club Ambassador, or the future cruise lady, I'm not sure which she was. She did have little or no interest in listening to my issue, however. She initially tried to blame it on the TA, which came over as a cheap shot. It very quickly became evident that both I and my TA know more about airline booking classes than she did. (For the record, I am a frequent flyer and know the game pretty well. My TA used to work for one of the major airlines, booking cruise passengers, so she also knows the game inside out.)

In any event, here is what I was told. Oceania contracts with several of the major airlines (not all, based on my experience) for their air travel. They book the lowest priced, cheap crap booking class they can lay their hands on (no surprise there). Moreover, they commit to a minimum number of seats; she said per flight, but I'm a little suspicious and think it might be per route. The credit you are offered depends on whether they think they can sell the seats they have committed to. If it is close to sailing date, the credit will be less. The most credit you will ever be offered is $300 in North America and $900 to Europe (if your experience is different, please don't flame the messenger, that is what I was told.). It is also noteworthy that the credit will be the same regardless of where you travel to or from within NA or to/fro Europe.

So, what can we conclude from this? Firstly, Oceania is a first class product, once you're on the ship. The air travel is a different matter. As we all know, "free" does not mean "free". It means you pay for it whether you use it or not. If you're prepared to accept the cheap crap booking class they offer you, it is a good deal. If you're the least bit fussy about schedule, routing, seat selection, etc, you may be better off sucking it up, taking the financial hit and booking your own. It is probably not worth the deviation fee to have them do it. If you can't do it yourself, most TAs will charge about a third of that to do it. The one good feature is that you can see what they offer you before you decide whether to accept it.

Finally, once you understand the air deviation game, it makes all the advertised cost comparisons to other cruise lines invalid.

If you're prepared to accept the cheap crap booking class they offer you, it is a good deal. If you're the least bit fussy about schedule, routing, seat selection, etc, you may be better off sucking it up, taking the financial hit and booking your own. It is probably not worth the deviation fee to have them do it. If you can't do it yourself, most TAs will charge about a third of that to do it. The one good feature is that you can see what they offer you before you decide whether to accept it.

The cheap crap booking class has always worked for us I am not worried about points so that may be the reason

I get the flights/routing I want with the deviation fee for less that booking my own air

I can live with not being able to upgrade my seats well in advance.

I am on the flight

It is really a personal choice, different strokes etc..

At least you enjoyed the cruise;)

Lyn

So we've completed our first Oceania cruise on the Riviera. It was great! Very satisfied, and we will definitely cruise with O again.

Now, about the air deviation deal. I took the opportunity to discuss the deal with the O Club Ambassador, or the future cruise lady, I'm not sure which she was. She did have little or no interest in listening to my issue, however. She initially tried to blame it on the TA, which came over as a cheap shot. It very quickly became evident that both I and my TA know more about airline booking classes than she did. (For the record, I am a frequent flyer and know the game pretty well. My TA used to work for one of the major airlines, booking cruise passengers, so she also knows the game inside out.)

In any event, here is what I was told. Oceania contracts with several of the major airlines (not all, based on my experience) for their air travel. They book the lowest priced, cheap crap booking class they can lay their hands on (no surprise there). Moreover, they commit to a minimum number of seats; she said per flight, but I'm a little suspicious and think it might be per route. The credit you are offered depends on whether they think they can sell the seats they have committed to. If it is close to sailing date, the credit will be less. The most credit you will ever be offered is $300 in North America and $900 to Europe (if your experience is different, please don't flame the messenger, that is what I was told.). It is also noteworthy that the credit will be the same regardless of where you travel to or from within NA or to/fro Europe.

So, what can we conclude from this? Firstly, Oceania is a first class product, once you're on the ship. The air travel is a different matter. As we all know, "free" does not mean "free". It means you pay for it whether you use it or not. If you're prepared to accept the cheap crap booking class they offer you, it is a good deal. If you're the least bit fussy about schedule, routing, seat selection, etc, you may be better off sucking it up, taking the financial hit and booking your own. It is probably not worth the deviation fee to have them do it. If you can't do it yourself, most TAs will charge about a third of that to do it. The one good feature is that you can see what they offer you before you decide whether to accept it.

Finally, once you understand the air deviation game, it makes all the advertised cost comparisons to other cruise lines invalid.

Good information

Thanks

We booked our first Oceania cruise. We are very much looking forward to the on board experience but I found the advertised "free air" and the so called 2 for 1 promotions to be more hype than anything really free.

I booked this trip with a TA who set me straight about the air deviation and cost differential issues. She strongly advised taking the air credit which we did. The credit was a little more than half of the cost to book standard coach tickets on our own so free is not really free.

For years we have gotten 2 for 1 offers but unless you drill down to the fine print this seems a little disingenuous as well.

Sometimes straightforward pricing is better to evaluate the true cost of a product.