We're not off to a very good start here.

Sopwith

A couple additional of comments:

Re the so-called "free" air: TANSTAAFL.

Routing is YVR --> MIA outbound, MCO --> YVR return. Nothing out of the ordinary, should be fairly easy and relatively inexpensive for O to book.

Edited by Sopwith

A couple additional of comments:

Re the so-called "free" air: TANSTAAFL.

Routing is YVR --> MIA outbound, MCO --> YVR return. Nothing out of the ordinary, should be fairly easy and relatively inexpensive for O to book.

Still, the air credit should be more than $199 even for those "short" flights :confused:

Edited by Paulchili

Still, the air credit should be more than $199 even for those "short" flights :confused:

Paul, I believe that it has already been established that the OP probably mistook the Non Gateway Surcharge of $199 for the amount of the Air Allowance which should be in the seven to nine Hundred Dollar range for a Transatlantic.

We're sailing NY to London on the Marina, next May, so I have some pretty recent information on this. :D

Paul, I believe that it has already been established that the OP probably mistook the Non Gateway Surcharge of $199 for the amount of the Air Allowance which should be in the seven to nine Hundred Dollar range for a Transatlantic.

We're sailing NY to London on the Marina, next May, so I have some pretty recent information on this. :D

If I'm reading this right it is Vancouver to Miami, return Orlando to Vancouver.

No transatlantic. Then again I could be missing something.

$550 round trip, pp. Wish it WERE each way!

We booked Barcelona to Toronto with Aeroplan points as soon as the seats came available, got $275 off each cruise fare.

We could book our own seats from Toronto to Miami for about $550 for the 2 of us, so did that. Another $275 off each cruise fare.

Edited by tropicalkerry2002
Further explanation

That is 550$ per person for One Way or Round Trip?? I think that would be One Way as it is a transatlantic, so that would be $1100 for a RT if so.

Not clear what it is from the post.

If the OP lives in Miami, then it could be one way (BCN-MIA).

If not, then OP must get to MIA from somewhere in US/Canada. If it a RT, one of the trips would be TA and the other domestic - different prices?

OP Apparently resides in Toronto and Florida - not clear where she will be in April.

PS I seem to be cross posting with OP.

Edited by Paulchili

We are going from Toronto to Miami, and Barcelona to Toronto.

$550 per person round trip was the air credit.

This is a case where cost comparison is so important. I live in Memphis, one of, if not THE most expensive places to fly into and out of in the US.

I priced your itinerary from MEM and the cheapest I could find via AA is $1300.00 (MEM-MIA-BCN-MEM).

If O can piece that together (even adding the non-gateway 199.00) that route for less than 1300, more power to them!

The problem is for us/me is the one-way fares, which I believe they can get. I cannot buy a one-way fare (1/2 price a R/T).

Also, we have miles on DL, and you cannot use miles for a one-way, so that wouldnt work.

All in all, I do the numbers, and see what makes sense.

Also, we have miles on DL, and you cannot use miles for a one-way, so that wouldnt work.

All in all, I do the numbers, and see what makes sense.

..and what would make sense (to me) is dumping Delta as your FF program.

They don't call them Sky Pesos for nothing :D

Not being able to book one way awards is prehistoric; and their available international awards are 2 or 3 times (or more) the miles required by AA or UA.

Edited by Paulchili

..and what would make sense (to me) is dumping Delta as your FF program.

They don't call them Sky Pesos for nothing :D

Not being able to book one way awards is prehistoric; and their available international awards are 2 or 3 times (or more) the miles required by AA or UA.

I am well aware... Yes, well, by choice we would NOT use DL. DH flies for work, and that's who they book with..

MEM is not a place to fly into or out of on ANY airline. We are an international airport without a single international flight!!

You might be luckier and live close to an airport with more choices. We are not.

I am well aware... Yes, well, by choice we would NOT use DL. DH flies for work, and that's who they book with..

MEM is not a place to fly into or out of on ANY airline. We are an international airport without a single international flight!!

You might be luckier and live close to an airport with more choices. We are not.

I understand...

It's a very good airline, just not too generous in the reward department :(

Unlike Regent, Oceania varies the amount of the air credit for its Miami to Miami cruises. I checked and found the following per person air credits:

12-2-2013: $99

12-12-2013: $99

12-22-2013: $399

1-3-2014: $199

1-6-2014: $299

1-13-2014: $199

1-23-2014 through 3-4-2014: $299

3-18-2014: $199

3-28-2014: $199

With the exception of the 1-6-2014 cruise on the Regatta, all the cruises are on the Riviera.

Dave

OP, remember, the hassle of getting yourself on the ship disappears when you sail. The land side of a cruiseline seems to belong in Dilbertland.

Your cruise itself will make up for it, and I hope you'll be a convert.

Unlike Regent, Oceania varies the amount of the air credit for its Miami to Miami cruises. I checked and found the following per person air credits:

With the exception of the 1-6-2014 cruise on the Regatta, all the cruises are on the Riviera.

Dave

Dave, do u have a quick way of checking the air credits. I just try to book with and without air but it is time consuming.

Thanks.

The OP seems to have disappeared so all the answers are moot points...

Jancruz1

I'm back. I was laying low because things appeared to have gone sideways with talk about transatlantic (TATL) vs transcon, which is Vancouver to Miami and Orlando to Vancouver. And no, I definitely did not mistake the non-gateway surcharge with the credit, since YVR is indeed one of the gateways. I'm simply saying that for a round trip airfare, which would cost me between $650 and $1000 if I book on my own, even allowing for the discount O would likely be able to negotiate, their offer of a $199 credit is out of order.

It is fairly clear to me that their strategy is to set the price point just below what I could do it for myself, and pocket the difference. This is not a good way to start what could be a lasting relationship.

And by the way, my TA used to work for a major airline and was the one who worked directly with the cruise lines for air bookings, so she knows the game pretty well.

Edited by Sopwith

I'm back. I was laying low because things appeared to have gone sideways with talk about transatlantic (TATL) vs transcon, which is Vancouver to Miami and Orlando to Vancouver. And no, I definitely did not mistake the non-gateway surcharge with the credit, since YVR is indeed one of the gateways. I'm simply saying that for a round trip airfare, which would cost me between $650 and $1000 if I book on my own, even allowing for the discount O would likely be able to negotiate, their offer of a $199 credit is out of order.

It is fairly clear to me that their strategy is to set the price point just below what I could do it for myself, and pocket the difference. This is not a good way to start what could be a lasting relationship.

And by the way, my TA used to work for a major airline and was the one who worked directly with the cruise lines for air bookings, so she knows the game pretty well.

Something is very wrong with your air credit quote of $199/person. We too are from YVR and have experienced Oceania 5 times and NEVER have we been discounted an air credit (b/c we were doing our own air arrangements) as low as $199. Maybe I am not u/s it all correctly.

Dave

Dave, I am on the March 28, 2014 sailing of the Riviera Roundtrip from Miami and received a $300 air credit. On the Feb 22, 2013 Riviera sailing, also Roundtrip from Miami, I received $400. On the August 28th, 2011 Regatta, Roundtrip from San Francisco, I got an $800 air credit. Although more than in your post, closed jaw Roundtrip air credits, staying in the continental US, sure are decreasing.

Dave, do u have a quick way of checking the air credits. I just try to book with and without air but it is time consuming.

Thanks.

John,

The quickest way I have found is to select the cruise I want and note the air inclusive price on the first screen for the category I'm interested in. On the next screen, I indicate that the cruise is for two people and that I do not want air included. I fill out the guest information and the next screen shows the per person fare minus the air credit. Just subtract the fare on this screen from the first fare you noted and you'll have the per person air credit.

If you don't have a calculator handy or don't trust your math skills :D, you can continue your dummy booking until you get to the "Confirm Booking" screen. That screen shows the air credit for two on the line entitled "Air Allowance."

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave, I am on the March 28, 2014 sailing of the Riviera Roundtrip from Miami and received a $300 air credit. On the Feb 22, 2013 Riviera sailing, also Roundtrip from Miami, I received $400. On the August 28th, 2011 Regatta, Roundtrip from San Francisco, I got an $800 air credit. Although more than in your post, closed jaw Roundtrip air credits, staying in the continental US, sure are decreasing.

Benita,

I wonder if the air credits decreased between the time you booked your cruises and today. The air credits on both US and international cruises have decreased over the last few years.

Dave

Benita,

I wonder if the air credits decreased between the time you booked your cruises and today. The air credits on both US and international cruises have decreased over the last few years.

Dave

It is certainly possible. I booked this cruise while on the Riviera in February, 2013.