We're not off to a very good start here.

Sopwith

As long time cruisers, mostly with HAL and Princess, we recently booked our first Oceania cruise, looking for a more upscale experience in the face of declining product from the others. I looked at this as a great opportunity for O to win us over from HAL.

We booked the cruise and then got into the air deviation game. We asked for specific flights and a return about 10 days after the cruise from a different city. They have proposed a $150 each deviation fee, fair enough, but on top of that they want another $400 each for the price differential. Based on the fares I see from the airlines, I don't believe this truly represents the extra they will actually pay.

The real problem arises when we asked for a credit if we book our own air, and were offered a paltry $199 each for a transcon return flight. It looks like they have offered the taxes, and not much else.

Bottom line, the extra $1100 they're asking for is interestingly just a few dollars less than what it would net out at if we book our own air.

I'm not getting a good feeling here, and I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Oceania.

Edited by Sopwith

Sorry for your issues. We are also HAL frequent cruisers.

We just completed a 24 day cruise on the Riveria from Miami to Barcelona; our first Oceania cruise. It was incredible and far exceeded any experiences we had with HAL. Also had no problem with air reservations.

1)Ask for different flights, keep asking until you get something that works for you

2)Ask what they will provide for your dates & cities?

3) just book your own flights

Maybe I'm a little slow but I don't see the problem. It's cheaper than you could do it on your own, right?

I would question the air credit, it does seem low.

Although it's marketed as free air it's actually included air.

As long time cruisers, mostly with HAL and Princess, we recently booked our first Oceania cruise, looking for a more upscale experience in the face of declining product from the others. I looked at this as a great opportunity for O to win us over from HAL.

We booked the cruise and then got into the air deviation game. We asked for specific flights and a return about 10 days after the cruise from a different city. They have proposed a $150 each deviation fee, fair enough, but on top of that they want another $400 each for the price differential. Based on the fares I see from the airlines, I don't believe this truly represents the extra they will actually pay.

The real problem arises when we asked for a credit if we book our own air, and were offered a paltry $199 each for a transcon return flight. It looks like they have offered the taxes, and not much else.

Bottom line, the extra $1100 they're asking for is interestingly just a few dollars less than what it would net out at if we book our own air.

I'm not getting a good feeling here, and I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Oceania.

Assuming you're flying from and to the US and your cruise is not taking place in a month or two, the $199 pp air credit quoted to you is way too low. I just did a couple of dummy bookings for Eastern Med cruises in 2013 and 2014. The air credit was $850 pp in 2013 and $900 pp in 2014.

I suggest another call to Oceania or to your TA. Don't accept incorrect information. Hope this helps.

The OP's post is not about the quality of O vs. Hal so let's not get off topic. It's about the air deviation fees and extra charges for specific flights. And truth be told the air credits are a fraction today of what they used to be.

To clarify, we have the flights we want. My objections are (1) the measly credit that was offered if we book our own air, i.e. a fraction of what they would have actually paid on our behalf; and (b) the amount of the upcharge for the specific flights we requested, which I believe is more than they will actually pay above and beyond what is allowed in the cruise fare.

We have accepted their proposal, and are moving forward on that basis. My point was that O had a chance to dazzle us and win us over, but have started off with this, which is disappointing for what we thought was a premium cruise line.

We'll go, we'll enjoy the cruise, and we'll decide whether we stay with O or try something else. (Almost) everything we've heard about O is good, I just hope they live up to it after this hassle with the air deviation.

This is "FREE AIR""?I think you need a TA who wilol fight for you.

Edited by dorisis

We used to get substantial credits from Oceania if we booked our own air. Not so the last few years. I guess they can offer us back what they like and they choose to not offer much!

That is the way it is, we are not happy either and as a result our next three cruises are booked elsewhere. That said they have an incredible product, but it comes at a price premium which we are mostly unwilling to pay.

To clarify, we have the flights we want. My objections are (1) the measly credit that was offered if we book our own air, i.e. a fraction of what they would have actually paid on our behalf; and (b) the amount of the upcharge for the specific flights we requested, which I believe is more than they will actually pay above and beyond what is allowed in the cruise fare.

We have accepted their proposal, and are moving forward on that basis. My point was that O had a chance to dazzle us and win us over, but have started off with this, which is disappointing for what we thought was a premium cruise line.

We'll go, we'll enjoy the cruise, and we'll decide whether we stay with O or try something else. (Almost) everything we've heard about O is good, I just hope they live up to it after this hassle with the air deviation.

Where is your cruise from and to?

What are your flight cities?

We just did air deviation from Miami/Hong Kong/Beijing/Tokyo/Miami. I knew we would have to pay for the Beijing to Tokyo flight -that's a given. However, we chose our flights, offered them to Oceania, considered something else, and went back to what we wanted, got it and it didn't cost any more because Oceania has a contract with the airline. That being said, while the "free air" was less than it had been for another Asia cruisein 2012, it was not inconsiderable. The air that we picked was a few hundred $$ more than O's offer. All in all it worked out. Air deviation does not work for everyone, but for us it did. You even get your seats immediately. The only thing you cannot do is get a "premium economy" until you are paid in full. Arlene;)

While $199 credit may seem puny, thats $199 pp that you would NOT get from Holland, Princess or others.

Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds you are going to spend on lesser lines for all the nickel and dime with 2 to 3 times tha passengers, etc.....

Look at the whole picture... The air is just fluff in my book.

While $199 credit may seem puny, thats $199 pp that you would NOT get from Holland, Princess or others.

Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds you are going to spend on lesser lines for all the nickel and dime with 2 to 3 times tha passengers, etc.....

Look at the whole picture... The air is just fluff in my book.

But let's not forget that you are starting at probably half or less base price - so there is a lot of room to spare, so to speak :D

As Elite with Princess we get free internet (up to 500 min/pp), free laundry and a full bar at the start of cruise (which we trade for 20 diet Cokes/Perrier). Thus our extras are truly minimum.

That said, we prefer Oceania given the same itineraries. :)

It rarely (if ever) makes sense to book a cruise with an airline; why would I expect a great deal when booking airfare with a cruise line?

Having said that, I have to agree that the air credits suck. We got something like $1400pp from Honolulu to Papeete earlier this year but only received $550pp for Honolulu to Barcelona/Rio to Honolulu this November-December.

Edited by Ka Honu

It rarely (if ever) makes sense to book a cruise with an airline; why would I expect a great deal when booking airfare with a cruise line?

Having said that, I have to agree that the air credits suck. We got something like $1400pp from Honolulu to Papeete earlier this year but only received $550pp for Honolulu to Barcelona/Rio to Honolulu this November-December.

Don't really think you can compare prices like that because you live in Hawaii. The air credits are NOT determined by where you live, they are the same for everyone in the US so you don't get more for being further from Barcelona/Rio that how close you are to Papeete. Some people win and some people lose in the air fare credit circus depending on where they live and where they are flying to/from.

Where is your cruise from and to?

What are your flight cities?

I am wondering 'when' as well. If leaving fairly soon that could affect the amount of air credit

... Bottom line, the extra $1100 they're asking for is interestingly just a few dollars less than what it would net out at if we book our own air.

For me, if the deviation plus air surcharge was about what I could book myself, I would book it myself. Add in the $400 air credit and transfer, first night hotel, dinner & drinks are taken care of.

$199 sounds like the 'get-you-to-the-gateway' surcharge. We have requested deviations and they have come back with surcharges and we have simply asked for other options. Sometimes several times. Eventually satisfied with the routing and the charges. We've always used our TA for the transactions.

Hope the rest of your arrangements go better for you and the cruise is at least all that your anticipate.

Look at the whole picture... The air is just fluff in my book.[/QUOT

The air credit may be more than HAL or Princess et al would offer but I do not recall HAL or Princess offering "free airfare' in their ads with very rare exceptions.

The airfares are built into the cruise fares so you're getting a damn thing for free. There's a big difference between free and included. If it were truly free there's be no air credit at all.

Could I loan you a "not"?