We're not off to a very good start here.

Sopwith

Unlike Regent, Oceania varies the amount of the air credit for its Miami to Miami cruises. I checked and found the following per person air credits:

12-2-2013: $99

12-12-2013: $99

12-22-2013: $399

1-3-2014: $199

1-6-2014: $299

1-13-2014: $199

1-23-2014 through 3-4-2014: $299

3-18-2014: $199

3-28-2014: $199

With the exception of the 1-6-2014 cruise on the Regatta, all the cruises are on the Riviera.

Dave

We are on the 12-12-13 sailing. Our credit is $300. We booked Mar 2013. Certainly hope they haven't dropped that low since then.

I guess I am mixed up, doesn't the amount of credit depend where you are coming from to get to Miami? On our March 2013 trip it was 400$ from NYC to Miami, for our March 2014 trip it went down to 300$ pp.

I used to think this too, but I believe it's the same from any of the cities in North America that they fly from by default.

I guess I am mixed up, doesn't the amount of credit depend where you are coming from to get to Miami? On our March 2013 trip it was 400$ from NYC to Miami, for our March 2014 trip it went down to 300$ pp.

The air credit depends on where you sail to and from. I believe it is the same, for the Miami cruises no matter where in the continental US you live. As we live by the pier, we don't need the air, so we took the credit, which would have been the same if we were flying down from NY.

We played the deviation game for a while . are flying from atlanta to stockholm .. received a plus or minus $ 900 /pp credit and made our own reservations for our dates and our times for 1200 pp .. knowing they buy in bulk at almost charter rates and charter itineraries we are very happy with the credits and arrangements

I'm back. I was laying low because things appeared to have gone sideways with talk about transatlantic (TATL) vs transcon, which is Vancouver to Miami and Orlando to Vancouver. And no, I definitely did not mistake the non-gateway surcharge with the credit, since YVR is indeed one of the gateways. I'm simply saying that for a round trip airfare, which would cost me between $650 and $1000 if I book on my own, even allowing for the discount O would likely be able to negotiate, their offer of a $199 credit is out of order.

It is fairly clear to me that their strategy is to set the price point just below what I could do it for myself, and pocket the difference. This is not a good way to start what could be a lasting relationship.

And by the way, my TA used to work for a major airline and was the one who worked directly with the cruise lines for air bookings, so she knows the game pretty well.

I'm still not clear what the problem is if they are offering to do it cheaper than you could yourself?:confused:

Hi, I totally understand your frustration... I am a well travelled women early 50, taking a minimum of 4 trips a years and been on many cruises and same here, this is our first time willing to experience Oceania (been on Azamara and loved it), and what a bad start... we thought we had made a good move booking on July 27th on the Nautica leaving Athens on October 25th 2013 (a very good internet offer for a 10 days itinerary to Barcelona)and I am trying to get an acceptable return flight schedule from Oceania, I have been struggling with them for 2 weeks, first trying to deviate and arrive 2 days earlier in Athens (their arrival flight offer were only acceptable with an additional 400$pp with great return flights offered...) and now that we waited to know the actual included schedule without deviation before deciding about a deviation, we find out that the arrival flights on the actual day the ship leaves is exactly what we had asked them as a deviation for an arrival 2 days earlier (but offered to us for an add. 400$p.p.) and currently the proposed return flights is a "milk run" with 2 transfers return flights through Madrid and New York (we live in Montreal and we specified not willing to go through the US) instead of the 1 stop schedule we were offered and accepted last week...

It is our first time booking a cruise with flights included (we've been offered 850$ credit to book our own but this is not enough to cover the flights cost on our own) but I am still hoping Oceania will make it right for us and get us on an acceptable flight schedule and I will let know Cruise Critic members...

Anyone else out there who got that problem and have suggestions for getting Oceania to act in accordance with our “simple” flights demands?

samdoca,

It is obvious you are not an experienced flyer and are new to CC. What you believe about booking a reasonable time in advance is far from it. There are numerous threads which talk about the need to book your deviation at the earliest time to get the best fares and flights. That time is 270 days or about 9 monts prior to departure. You booked about 90 days out and chose to wait until the Oceania flights were available at the 75 day mark.

Your flight requirements may be simple to you however very late in the process as the closer one gets to their departure, the flights available diminish and the costs go up. You cannot compare the fare or availability for your flight between the ship departure date and days earlier as Oceania most likely has space pre-booked for the ship departure date and not for other dates. And, what you call milk runs are the type of flights that cruise ships use as they are less expensive that non-stops and easy connections.

Highly doubt Oceania will meet what you want and the longer you wait, the more expensive your deviation will be as well as the more inconvenient. You need to make up your mind quickly and take the best available price and schedule now if you wish to deviate.

Sorry you had all these issues and hope you have a great cruise. Now that you are reading CC, suggest you look into these issues on older threads to avoid this happening again.

By the way, am usually one who blames the cruise line but only when they are truly at fault and unfortunately, for your issue, they are doing what they can at the available fares and schedules.

Ours for October, 2014, Istanbul to Athens, is also $850. Once I factor in the deviation fee so I can arrive/depart on different days of $150, and the $199 for an extra leg to my non-gateway home city, I'm at $1199. Mine seems in line to me.

rallydave, my sentiments exactly. My TA always suggests I book air deviation as soon as possible for exact reasons you state. Deviation always goes very smoothly for us and my husband thinks the deal cannot be beat. Only once we paid deviation plus something like $100/person more b/c we requested a very early flight out of Athens that we wanted and got. I think the cruiser has to take into consideration the excellent deal on the itinerary (which is fabulous) and go for it.

As long time cruisers, mostly with HAL and Princess, we recently booked our first Oceania cruise, looking for a more upscale experience in the face of declining product from the others. I looked at this as a great opportunity for O to win us over from HAL.

We booked the cruise and then got into the air deviation game. We asked for specific flights and a return about 10 days after the cruise from a different city. They have proposed a $150 each deviation fee, fair enough, but on top of that they want another $400 each for the price differential. Based on the fares I see from the airlines, I don't believe this truly represents the extra they will actually pay.

The real problem arises when we asked for a credit if we book our own air, and were offered a paltry $199 each for a transcon return flight. It looks like they have offered the taxes, and not much else.

Bottom line, the extra $1100 they're asking for is interestingly just a few dollars less than what it would net out at if we book our own air.

I'm not getting a good feeling here, and I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Oceania.

With all respect, the airlines have no economic connection to the cruise lines, O or others. If you were returning from the same city 10 days later the small deviation fee would most assuredly cover the change. Their much-reduced airfare on the group bookings to and from the departure/arrival ports are based on that itinerary. If you return from another city the airline fee is almost always more. This has absolutely nothing to do with Oceania or any other cruise line as they call the airlines and make the change just as you and I would. And I don't believe any cruise line would be anxious to absorb the higher airfare to please or retain passengers. I am a past airline employee to understand this and a past Oceania passenger to appreciate that Oceania will give you the most value for your money and an incredibly wonderful cruise experience. My husband and I have cruised on 6 cruise lines on almost 20 cruises and Oceania is our choice for quality, great customer attention and the food.

With all respect, the airlines have no economic connection to the cruise lines, O or others. If you were returning from the same city 10 days later the small deviation fee would most assuredly cover the change. Their much-reduced airfare on the group bookings to and from the departure/arrival ports are based on that itinerary. If you return from another city the airline fee is almost always more. This has absolutely nothing to do with Oceania or any other cruise line as they call the airlines and make the change just as you and I would. And I don't believe any cruise line would be anxious to absorb the higher airfare to please or retain passengers. I am a past airline employee to understand this and a past Oceania passenger to appreciate that Oceania will give you the most value for your money and an incredibly wonderful cruise experience. My husband and I have cruised on 6 cruise lines on almost 20 cruises and Oceania is our choice for quality, great customer attention and the food.

What you say may be true to a point. I fly a lot and know about air fares and how they vary. This is why O has whacked me with an upcharge. The point a few people seem to be missing is that the $199 credit they offered covers the taxes and surcharges and not much more. I simply don't believe the allowance built into the cruise fare to cover the "free" air fare is only $199. I do believe they're trying to take advantage. We'll see when we get on the ship and have a chat with the future cruise person.

By the way, earlier today I booked a trip from YVR to TPA, C$673 all in. Even if O were to get a 50% discount, the credit should be close to $350.

Edited by Sopwith

With all respect, the airlines have no economic connection to the cruise lines, O or others.

You can book cruises, including Oceania cruises, on airline websites or by calling a phone number listed on their website. I haven't done it, but there must be a lot who do. That's quite an economic connection. :)

What you say may be true to a point. I fly a lot and know about air fares and how they vary. This is why O has whacked me with an upcharge. The point a few people seem to be missing is that the $199 credit they offered covers the taxes and surcharges and not much more. I simply don't believe the allowance built into the cruise fare to cover the "free" air fare is only $199. I do believe they're trying to take advantage. We'll see when we get on the ship and have a chat with the future cruise person.

By the way, earlier today I booked a trip from YVR to TPA, C$673 all in. Even if O were to get a 50% discount, the credit should be close to $350.

I'm literally flummoxed by your position.

As a business person living within the capitalist system, do you not believe that Oceania has the right to use the Air allowance as a throttle to either encourage or discourage using Oceania Air?

When we have taken the air credit to/from a US port the air credit is around $300 pp

that is why I use O air for US ports of embarkation

You can easily check the air credit by doing an online booking with air & without air that will give you an idea of the air credit

They use bulk fares which is what they base their credit on ...not what the public will have to pay for DIY

If you are not happy with the air credit amount then just book cruise only & do your own air

JMO

I'm literally flummoxed by your position.

As a business person living within the capitalist system, do you not believe that Oceania has the right to use the Air allowance as a throttle to either encourage or discourage using Oceania Air?

Yes, of course they have the right. But when they use that right to take advantage of a new customer we're not off to a very good start, which is the point of my original post. If I thought the credit offered fairly reflected the allowance they carry in the cruise fare there would be no issue.

On Aug 2, I booked two back-to-back Riviera Jan 2014 cruises from MIA-MIA-MIA. The air credit on the first cruise was $199 pp, on the second cruise it was $299 pp. The early booking credit and the Bonus Discount were the same for both cruises. I believe they play with the air credit to make the final price match what they had on the web for the "Special Promotions" price.

Our nearest air gateway is SEA. To really show how ridiculous their "air credit" game can be, on Aug 16 I booked Regatta SEA-SEA for Jul 2014. The air credit for this cruise was $550 pp. They must expect a lot of Aussie's to get that kind of an average air fare credit!

Their pricing and discounts are an insult to anyone that has cruised. However, I was happy to see on Aug 18 (haven't checked since) that their "Brochure Fares" and their "Special Promotions" for the cruises I checked were identical -- normally they are substantially different. Did they get the word that they were shooting themselves in the foot with their pricing song and dance? Let's start from the advertised (web, flyer) price and then give us credit for early booking and various bonuses and not play around with these, and the air credit, to get a desired number.

Nautica Norway Jul 2014

Regatta Buenos Aires-MIA Mar 2014

et al.

On Aug 2, I booked two back-to-back Riviera Jan 2014 cruises from MIA-MIA-MIA. The air credit on the first cruise was $199 pp, on the second cruise it was $299 pp. .

Our nearest air gateway is SEA.

Nautica Norway Jul 2014

Regatta Buenos Aires-MIA Mar 2014

et al.

Sounds like the same cruise we're on, and from a nearby gateway.

In choosing a cruise I totally ignore ...the brochures price...the 2 for 1 offer....the free air pitch....the special discount....air allowance etc. I look at the itinerary, the cruise line and its reputation, its smoking policy, its dress code, flexible meal times etc and the price I will pay for a cabin I desire. If I consider I am getting good/great value for the money I will spend I book and enjoy the cruise.;)

In choosing a cruise I totally ignore ...the brochures price...the 2 for 1 offer....the free air pitch....the special discount....air allowance etc. I look at the itinerary, the cruise line and its reputation, its smoking policy, its dress code, flexible meal times etc and the price I will pay for a cabin I desire. If I consider I am getting good/great value for the money I will spend I book and enjoy the cruise.;)

Same here.

$550 round trip, pp. Wish it WERE each way!

We booked Barcelona to Toronto with Aeroplan points as soon as the seats came available, got $275 off each cruise fare.

We could book our own seats from Toronto to Miami for about $550 for the 2 of us, so did that. Another $275 off each cruise fare.

I am new to O as well and no idea you could get air credit for one sector, if I knew I would have asked for it. I sort of agreed with the OP that O will take advantage of the situation if they could. O charged me a total of $250 pp on the specified flight I requested on Dec 6 out of MIA to YYZ instead of the scheduled return date of Dec 2. But when my colleague requested the same flight as mine on the scheduled return date on Dec 2 but leaving to BCN on Nov 1 instead of 17th, she only got charged with the deviation fee. So go figured.