Grass Lawn on Celebrity ships - like or dislike?

cruisetrail

Do you like the grass lawn or prefer something else?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the grass lawn or prefer something else?

• 1. I like the lawn. Let it be where it is.
    • 2. No. I would like an aft pool area instead.
    • 3. No. I would suggest something else instead of the lawn.

Empty loungers may happen to be here and there depending on the weather and time of the day, being in port, etc.

The main problem is: this is the only open pool area on a ~3000 pax ship!

And even worse - it is mixed with kids.

Left: The upper level on Celebrity S-Class

Right: a mystery ship

2jfysnc.jpg

LOL....it doesn't even look like there is life aboard the HAL ship? To me, it's more a waste of space as it's not being enjoyed at all!

There are so many cruise lines to go on. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm not happy with a product, I quit buying it. There is just something more here.

I don't understand all the negativity lately. I'm thankful we can still cruise, even if it is only once a year. The lawn is wonderful....it sets Celebrity apart from the others, just like freestyle on NCL, fun on Carnival, so forth and so on. So many ships, so little time.....and MONEY!:eek:

LOL....it doesn't even look like there is life aboard the HAL ship? To me, it's more a waste of space as it's not being enjoyed at all!

There are so many cruise lines to go on. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm not happy with a product, I quit buying it. There is just something more here.

I don't understand all the negativity lately. I'm thankful we can still cruise, even if it is only once a year. The lawn is wonderful....it sets Celebrity apart from the others, just like freestyle on NCL, fun on Carnival, so forth and so on. So many ships, so little time.....and MONEY!:eek:

I get the impression that the OP thinks if he continues on his "Celebrity S-class ships are awful and I will keep telling you why" mission that suddenly Celebrity is going to call him and tell them he was right all along and they will scrap all five ships and build new ones that are exactly like the HAL and Princess ships he can't stop drooling over :p:D

2jfysnc.jpg

We were on both ships B2B.

Impression - crowded ship after a private yacht. Same time, same sea, same weather.

Why is the difference so visible?

The answer: design!

This 90,000 tonner has much more open space than a 120,000 tonner.

Passengers can enjoy huge wrap-around promenade deck (3 laps = 1 mile), vast sun deck midship and a separate aft pool area for adults - for 750-950 less pax!

Nothing of these three options are available on Celebrity S-class - just think about it.

Thus an impression of a private yacht in comparison.

That's why I voted for a pool area for adults - something the S-Class is lacking.

2jfysnc.jpg

Impression - crowded ship after a private yacht. Same time, same sea, same weather.

Passengers can enjoy huge wrap-around promenade deck (3 laps = 1 mile), vast sun deck midship and a separate aft pool area for adults - for 750-950 less pax!

Nothing of these three options are available on Celebrity S-class - just think about it.

That's why I voted for a pool area for adults - something the S-Class is lacking.

If I want a private yacht, I will head to one of the islands and hire a sailboat for the week. I cruise because I enjoy the company of others. If I don't enjoy the product, I don't patronize. Again, there's more here.

Maybe the cruise critic member who so loves to tell readers of the Celeb thread how awful the newest S-class ships are has stock in Carnival Corp.

Makes one wonder, doesn't it? :p

I get the impression that the OP thinks if he continues on his "Celebrity S-class ships are awful and I will keep telling you why" mission that suddenly Celebrity is going to call him and tell them he was right all along and they will scrap all five ships and build new ones that are exactly like the HAL and Princess ships he can't stop drooling over :p:D

Maybe the cruise critic member who so loves to tell readers of the Celeb thread how awful the newest S-class ships are has stock in Carnival Corp.?

What is totally puzzling is that he comes on the Celebrity forum and tells people who know the product how bad he thinks the ships are. We already know and like the product, so what they heck is he trying to accomplish? If he wanted to affect Celebrity's bottom line, it would seem to be more effective to go to the other forums and spread his misinformation there to influence people who don't know how good Celebrity is and how clueless he actually is.

I notice in all the photos he posts, not a single family member or personal item is ever shown. All are generic photos that anyone could have taken. I actually wonder if he has ever been on a cruise ship, instead finding these photos on the internet and posting them here as if he has taken them himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is just a teenage geek who never leaves his bedroom, instead spending all his time playing games and posting his 'opinions' because he has zero social skills outside in the world of reality.

As someone else has said here, his obsession is very strange.

A recent discussion around the lawn has prompted me to start a poll.

Please make your choice:

1. I like the lawn. Let it be where it is.

2. No. I would like an aft pool area instead.

3. No. I would suggest something else instead of the lawn.

Before you vote:

Look at the photo.

Some posters say they don't realize how big is the lawn.

Compare open deck space and pool areas on different ships.

ur6s7.jpg

I

Happy cruising - with or without the lawn!

I happen to think the lawn is a waste, we have been on 3 cruises on Celebrity this year alone, and have 2 more coming and it did seem that the lawn was always resting. I saw very little action with the cabanas, very few were rented. I do miss the Corning glass shows, that was fun, and different. Another pool for adults would be great but I guess grass is easier to maintain especially if you are not allowed on it. Fellow CC's please allow people to have difference of opinions and to voice them in a civilized manner as this person has. If we all agreed how boring would it be? As to the photo of people packed around the top deck on Celebrity. We just experienced that mob scene sailing to Bermuda this past month. I don't get why HAL is so empty, are they all napping in their cabins? Please allow people to bring different opinions to the forums, it is not a personal affront to Celebrity. Why take it so personally? ;)

It appears that is one of the HAL Signature class (Eurodam, N. Amsterdam) ships. Thanks for the chuckle when you described it as a private yacht. We enjoyed our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise with good food and service. But there is no comparison to the S class of X. The HAL ship was dark, low ceilings with small public rooms they call intimate (we call claustrophobic). The magrodome cover for the pool takes up almost the entire deck above it. And, we found the aft pool almost unusable because in their "brilliant design" in putting a deck surface that got so hot you could not walk 3 feet without begging for mercy.

Your HAL "vast sundeck midships" is closed in with the aforementioned magrodome and is basically a logjam because they now have cabanas that make it near impossible to walk thru the area...much less get a lounger. While I may not love the new cabanas on X, they are at least up on the top deck out of the way. With all of that said, I am just curious why you sail Celebrity if all of these things don't meet your requirements.

It appears that is one of the HAL Signature class (Eurodam, N. Amsterdam) ships. Thanks for the chuckle when you described it as a private yacht. We enjoyed our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise with good food and service. But there is no comparison to the S class of X. The HAL ship was dark, low ceilings with small public rooms they call intimate (we call claustrophobic). The magrodome cover for the pool takes up almost the entire deck above it. And, we found the aft pool almost unusable because in their "brilliant design" in putting a deck surface that got so hot you could not walk 3 feet without begging for mercy.

Your HAL "vast sundeck midships" is closed in with the aforementioned magrodome and is basically a logjam because they now have cabanas that make it near impossible to walk thru the area...much less get a lounger. While I may not love the new cabanas on X, they are at least up on the top deck out of the way. With all of that said, I am just curious why you sail Celebrity if all of these things don't meet your requirements.

I agree 100%. My wife and I have sailed Holland America eight times, including the Veendam, Volendam, Maasdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam, and the Nieuw Amsterdam. We also have 23 cruises on Celebrity, including the Solstice, the Eclipse and the Silhouette. HAL ships are fine, but we prefer Celebrity in every way. The only thing Holland America has over Celebrity is their great teakwood promenade decks. That's pretty much it.

I just think the HALphilic folks are tired of hearing how much better Celebrity is compared to their favorite cruise line.

Celebrity's Solstice Class ships are "killing" the competition!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We cruised on the Eclipse and Equinox, we visited the lawn area once on each cruise. It is okay. We walked around, took some pictures and that is about it. We are booked on the Silhouette next October 2014... doing a Mediterranean cruise .. suppose to stop in Egypt. It if does we don't plan to get off ... may hang out on the lawn if in port two days.

We are not pool people and love the lawn on the S-class ships. We spend many hours playing bocce (and sometimes making up our own rules ;) ). The only thing we don't like about the lawn is sometimes so many people lay in the shade up on the grass that it takes away from our playing space! grumble grumble :D

Your HAL "vast sundeck midships" is closed in with the aforementioned magrodome and is basically a logjam because they now have cabanas that make it near impossible to walk thru the area...much less get a lounger. While I may not love the new cabanas on X, they are at least up on the top deck out of the way.

Some people like to ask if someone actually cruised on a particular ship. I always answer that it does not matter where who cruised. What does matter - what the poster knows about the ship.

You are confusing different things (central pool and midships sun deck).

So does kelmac.

Midships sun deck is literally vast. It's very private and provides great views on both sides and aft.

10f9ll4.jpg

Cabanas on HAL Siganature class ships are in the so-called Retreat area that is a dedicated (a part of the ship design - not an afterthought like on Celebrity) separate deck away from passages.

There are a few cabanas in the central pool area on starboard - not in the passage way which is on port side. Nevertheless I would throw them away right now.

So I would do with Celebrity cabanas.

For those who don't know, the lawn concept (large grass playground for everyone) has been ruined on the Silhouette and the Reflection - ugly $$$ cabanas have taken the premium part of the lawn making it unusable for the original purpose.

For those who don't know, the lawn concept (large grass playground for everyone) has been ruined on the Silhouette and the Reflection - ugly $$$ cabanas have taken the premium part of the lawn making it unusable for the original purpose.

So no more frolicking or playing Bocce/boules or croquet.:(

At last we agree on something ;) I think it's a shame they did that. If people vote with their pocketbooks maybe they will eventually remove them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Some people like to ask if someone actually cruised on a particular ship. I always answer that it does not matter where who cruised. What does matter - what the poster knows about the ship.

Really? Looking at photos of a ship on your computer makes you more of an expert than people who have spent days, if not weeks, on board that ship? That's quite an amazing claim.

I supposed you also think that reading about something is all that is needed to be an expert, and we should all trust in the opinions of the reader more than the experience of the practitioner? Laughable. I am now more convinced that you are just a kid making this stuff up because your parents don't pay enough attention to you. :rolleyes:

No amount of evidence and sound reasoning will ever convince a person with an agenda, or simply a distorted point of view, to ever reevaluate their opinion. In many cases they just continue to post to annoy others. Responses just continue to feed the dragon. The best thing to do in these cases is to deny the poster. The attention they need and desire by simply ignoring all their posts. Not getting what they need will eventually drive them from the board. I plan to ignore all posts by Cruisetrail and hope they have a wonderful time on their next Celebrity cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
I happen to think the lawn is a waste, we have been on 3 cruises on Celebrity this year alone, and have 2 more coming and it did seem that the lawn was always resting. I saw very little action with the cabanas, very few were rented. I do miss the Corning glass shows, that was fun, and different. Another pool for adults would be great but I guess grass is easier to maintain especially if you are not allowed on it. Fellow CC's please allow people to have difference of opinions and to voice them in a civilized manner as this person has. If we all agreed how boring would it be? As to the photo of people packed around the top deck on Celebrity. We just experienced that mob scene sailing to Bermuda this past month. I don't get why HAL is so empty, are they all napping in their cabins? Please allow people to bring different opinions to the forums, it is not a personal affront to Celebrity. Why take it so personally? ;)

Upper decks are more spacious on the HAL Signature ships.

Add huge wrap-around promenade that reduces the upper decks passenger load.

What is the poll saying at this point in time? The poll that YOU created.

Some ignore the "facts" unless it helps their cause. I'm trying to figure out why anyone that dislikes a cruise line would hang out on the board so much. Maybe they're trying to convince themselves.:Me thinks thou dost protest too much. ;)

Upper decks are more spacious on the HAL Signature ships.

Add huge wrap-around promenade that reduces the upper decks passenger load.

False!

The area around the "sliding Dome cover" is not usable; the forward deck area is private for paying members of the "Cabana Club"; there are a few areas on the side of the aft portion of the ship, away from the pool areas; 1/2 of the mid-pool area is private cabanas and that area is so noisy and hot because it is too protected, except is cold climates; the aft pool area is nice, but very crowded.

I will give you the wrap around promenade deck -- very nice, Celebrity should add this to their next generation of ships! The reason this alleviates crowding on the sun decks is because HAL customers TEND to be a BIT older.

I've cruised HAL nine times and Celebrity 23 times -- since the introduction of the "S" class of ships, HAL is in a downward spiral and can no longer compete with Celebrity. Deck space is not a problem on Celebrity!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Archived