Passports?

MissCheekx

U dont need a passport if your cruise leaves and returns to the same embarkation port. Ie: miami to miami. (Closed loop cruise) a passport card is fine. Thats what our family uses. Now u will have people say that if you get stuck at one of your ports of call u won't be able to fly home. Maybe... but thats one in a few hundred thousand... you will get home it will just take a lil more time. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Guest maddycat

If your cruise starts and ends in the same US port (a closed loop cruise) you can cruise using only an official birth certificate and a government issued photo ID. However, if for some reason you need to fly (you miss the ship and have to fly to the next port, or you have an accident or become ill and have to fly home) you will need a passport to fly back to the US.

My advice is to get passports. They are good for 10 years.

Edited by maddycat

Passports are recommended, but not required. If you don't have a passport and choose not to apply and get one, then you'll need to have a certified copy of your birth certificate.

I would suggest checking with the cruise line. I am traveling in 2 weeks and I didn't have time to get a passport but they said I needed my original birth certificate but online it said I could use a certified copy so I would suggest checking with them.

I would love to just get passports for everyone and not worry about anything. However, as a family of five, that would be a considerable expense. Plus, the kids' passports are only good for 5 years. I'd prefer to spend that money on an amazing excursion!!

I recommend getting a passport even though it is a closed loop. As previously mentioned if for any reason there is an emergency, and have to fly home, then the airlines will require it. The chances are your trip will go well and no problems, but it takes only one time. I generally bring a copy of our Birth Certificates along with our Passports regardless where we cruise.

How is that wrong, some countries require both a Passport & a Visa. To eliminate any problems should an emergency happen and one needs to be flown home, then a passport should be taken, regardless if it is a closed loop or cruising from a European port. The percentages are we won't have any problems, but it only takes one time.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

My family will be cruising for Spring Break 2014. This will be our first ever cruise. My 11 yo daughter has a passport card. The rest of us have nothing. Will she be able to sail with the card or do we all need passports?

Reading the many replies to your post, I'm not sure if people realize what a passport card is. I personally travel with both my passport and passport card. This allows me to put my passport in my luggage and passport card in my pocket. The cruise lines take either. I used my passport card on my last 2 cruises.

For everyone to reference. From the Department of State website:

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

How is that wrong, some countries require both a Passport & a Visa. To eliminate any problems should an emergency happen and one needs to be flown home, then a passport should be taken, regardless if it is a closed loop or cruising from a European port. The percentages are we won't have any problems, but it only takes one time.

It is wrong bc the OP asked if they HAD to have a passport. You do not have to have one for that itinerary. it is safer but a certified birth certificate will do just fine.

For the OP, i recommend getting you and your husband a passport as soon as you have any extra cash. It makes your life so much easier.

Reading the many replies to your post, I'm not sure if people realize what a passport card is. I personally travel with both my passport and passport card. This allows me to put my passport in my luggage and passport card in my pocket. The cruise lines take either. I used my passport card on my last 2 cruises.

For everyone to reference. From the Department of State website:

"The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air."

I hope the luggage that contains your passport NEVER leaves your possession.

Remember that if you use only your state/county issued b/c and you are using your DL for the photo ID, the names have to match! Married women, those who have changed their name legally, mistakes on the original b/c and corrected on the DL will cause a red flag to go up. The names on the two documents have to match exactly. Sometimes a simple explanation to the US immigration officer will do and sometimes you get to spend a long time with them. So beware.

Passports are certainly the best way to go since that is all you need any where on this earth. If by some remote chance which increases with age you are put off the ship due to an accident or illness and need to fly back into the US, you have to have a passport. It can be obtained from a US Embassy or Consulate when they are open. However we are now speaking of the government which we all know does not move very quickly so you could be waiting days or even weeks for them all at your expense.

BTW I have performed part time work for the federal government several times in the last few years. I was required to present proof of my citizenship which means a b/c and photo ID or a PASSPORT! I use my passport. I use it also when traveling by air inside the US instead of my DL.

I hope the luggage that contains your passport NEVER leaves your possession.

In my carry-on luggage and then in my room safe. Instead of carrying my passport on the islands, I carry the passport card. Prior to the passport card, I carried the passport in my pocket and it showed signs of wear much quicker than it gets now. My passport still looks new after a couple of years use.

If your cruise starts and ends in the same US port (a closed loop cruise) you can cruise using only an official birth certificate and a government issued photo ID. However, if for some reason you need to fly (you miss the ship and have to fly to the next port, or you have an accident or become ill and have to fly home) you will need a passport to fly back to the US.

My advice is to get passports. They are good for 10 years.

Technically not true. True for most cruises but there are closed loop cruises which REQUIRE a passport. It's true if the cruise does not go beyond Mexico, Caribbean, Bermuda, and Canadian ports, but there are round trip cruises that go to Europe and South America. For anything beyond North America and environs you need a passport, closed loop or not. Not needed for OP. I think if you can pre-register on the Royal website, your documentation should be sufficient.

Roy