Teens dining alone 1 night

WWbytheSEA

Hi Everyone

My wife and I are planning to dine at Chops one night alone without our 2 teenage boys. Would they still be able to dine alone in the MDR. We eat out often so they know how to behave like gentlemen and would even be fine to eat with tablemates but they probably would be more comfortable enjoying themselves(MTD). It's not a money issue to take them to Chops just wanted it to be Mom and me for dinner alone one night. I know they could do the buffet, room service as well as some other venues as well.. Any suggestions. Btw they are 17 and 14.

Sounds wonderful. I think you should give them their options (as you and others have mentioned) and let them decide that evening. They may want to go to the Windjammer (fabulous for dinner!) or something else.

Enjoy your evening at Chops. :)

We gave or kids this option and they had a wonderful 2 course meal. French fries and ice cream.:)

Our DD14 ate with us in MDR the first two nights, and then only on formal nights, as she preferred to eat with her friends she made e other nights (we ate at the time lots of the evening kids activities started so even when she was with us she was twitchy to go). I believe she mainly had mashed potato, chips and gravy, followed by sponge and custard. (NB not in the MDR they do serve a variety of nicer foods too!!!).

I could add up on two hands the hours she spent with us outside of sleep and destination visits :rolleyes:

BACK TO SCHOOL NOW, GCSE TIME!!!!

We were on Indy and had a reservation in Chops late in the cruise. Our kids didn't want to go. They were only 10 and 12, but well behaved. Our waiter said absolutely they could dine in MDR alone. Instead, they chose to go to the Windjammer, then go to the promenade for Ben & Jerry's. We met them back in the stateroom and they had a great time.

I never would have considered it before the cruise...and you have to trust your kids to behave well...but once on the ship I saw how well they got around and how comfortable they were, it was fine!

If we are going to a specialty restaurant without our children we give them different options. Sometimes they go to the MDR and sometimes they go to the Windjammer with their new friends. If they want to go to the MDR we like to inform our waiters that they will go by themselves the following night. :):)

I think a cruise is a great time for kids to show a little independence - and 7 days all together can be a little challenging for the best families!!!

Let them make the choice, and know that they have good training, and will enjoy "going it" alone! Just do not feel bad if they talk like it was their "best" meal all week!!:rolleyes:

Archived