Grand Princess - can we adjust A/C?

Dayenu

Please tell me if we can adjust temperature in our cabin on Grand, or it's set to something permanent? I am getting conflicting reports. :o

We like to keep cooler during the day, warmer at night - is this possible? We cruised only once on a different Princess ship, and I don't remember.

On Grand Princess--and every other ship I have been on in the last decade--the room temperature is easily adjustible.

They all seem to have the same type of thermostat: no specific temperature setting, just two buttons with arrows; up for warmer/down for cooler, with a column of LED light bars showing the relative setting. Moving the setting even just one light bar up or down should produce a noticable change in less than 10-15 minutes. If you have adjusted it several times in a row and are stil not comfortable, report this directly to the front desk. They should send a tech out very quickly. Do not bother with your steward, he will just tell you to wait a little while longer, but if the system is working properly there should be no wait for the temperature to change.

Every cabin has at least one temperature control. Mini-suite and full suites have two.

When adjusting the temperature, keep in mind that during the day, if it's hot outside and the curtains are open, it's going to be much, much harder for the A/C to cool off the cabin. Also, if someone in a nearby balcony has their balcony door open, it'll affect your cabin temperature, even if you're in an inside. In other words, temperatures can be controlled within reason but some people don't understand or care about the affect of their actions on others.

Every cabin has at least one temperature control. Mini-suite and full suites have two.

When adjusting the temperature, keep in mind that during the day, if it's hot outside and the curtains are open, it's going to be much, much harder for the A/C to cool off the cabin. Also, if someone in a nearby balcony has their balcony door open, it'll affect your cabin temperature, even if you're in an inside. In other words, temperatures can be controlled within reason but some people don't understand or care about the affect of their actions on others.

So true! I had a mini-suite cabin on one of my cruises and the people in the cabin next to me appeared to keep their balcony door open for the whole cruise. I had to keep my thermostat turned all the way down so that when evening came I was able to sleep. I do tend to like a very cool room to sleep in but this was a little crazy!:eek:

I was on the Grand in May and had no problems adjusting the temperature. Like other people have said if you have any problems notify the main desk so that they can send someone up. I like the suggestion about closing the curtains on a warm day if you are away from the stateroom.

Tom:)

In other words, temperatures can be controlled within reason but some people don't understand or care about the affect of their actions on others.

Oh, Pam. Isn't that the unfortunate truth in the world today ;). Sorry, my Zen is showing :p.

As I mentioned in another thread, we set our thermostat to the lowest (coldest) setting as soon as we entered our cabin but it took a whole three days before the room cooled down. There were no balconies on our deck and we were headed to Alaska so the outside temp was quite cool. We didn't bother complaining to the front desk because there was air moving, it just wasn't cooling the room. After the third day we awoke to a nice cool room and we were able to make adjustments for the remainder of our trip. Not sure why we had the problem but it seemed to resolve itself.

There are some ships where we think the thermostat is put in a cabin as a decorative touch and not connected to anything. So you constantly adjust your cabin temps and nothing happens:). But on other ships they work fine. On the Grand (we have been on this ship for 4 longer cruises) it seems to be hit or miss.

But a big problem are folks that always leave their balcony doors open. The Grand (and all cruise ships) have a "closed" HVAC system which depends on the ship being sealed tight for the system to work as designed. When even a single cabin in an area keeps their balcony door open, it impacts on the A/C of all the cabins in that same neighborhood. When the Grand was a new ship it had a feature that turned off the A/C in any cabin that had the balcony door ajar. But we think they disabled that system years ago (not sure about the current situation). But even this feature did not help because the open doors really changed the overall A/C flow. The next time you are on this ship (or other ships) and walk down the halls you might notice that some cabins have the sound of sucking air coming under their cabin door...and that is because their balcony door is open.

Hank

While it is adjustable sometimes the room may feel cool or warm depending on the outside weather.

Keith

Yes, this may be true, but when one puts their hands where the air comes out of the ceiling and there is either no air moving or warmish air, the outside has nothing to do with the inside temp.

My question is why doesn't each ship post a notice in the "Patter" to educate people about their need to keep their balcony doors closed? I really feel that educating people of these things are important and works to the advantage of everyone than just muttering under our breaths about how insensitive or uncaring these individuals are. I really wonder just how many people leave their doors open without knowing, or understanding how it affects others. Yes, and of course there will be some that will do it regardless.

I will probably sound rude, but not trying to be one, just honest. If I decide to shell off big bucks on a balcony, would I care if somebody wants me to keep that door opened or closed? Of course not!

Really? And you wouldn't care that by leaving your door open other cabins (ones without a balcony) will have no air or unable to control the air in their cabins due to the type of A/C the ship has?

Archived