Lost luggage

fance99

Getting off of Explorer , we had group 1 and weree one of the first to arrive at baggage claim, we could not locate on bag. A cruise line lady walked up with the bag in tow and asked DW if this was the bag. Turns out the bag was in the number 7 group and she saw it was in the wrong place. Can you imagine how long it wouuld take to find it if she hadn't been watching.

Coming off of the Oasis,, you betcha' we'll be carrying our luggage off. There's no way I'd want to try and find it with that many people. Complete chaos!!

I'm cruelly kind of nervous even leaving our bags with the porter, not that I'd keep anything valuable in a checked bag, but still. I guess we will see:)

Sailed on Oasis twice - never take our own luggage off. That terminal is the most organized and fastest on / off terminal - in particular with the Oasis / Allure class ships. Had our luggage within 5 minutes both times off the ship. Completely not chaos!

Err....... why do it in the rush hour when you had already established it would take so much longer than the usual journey ?? :confused:

Unfortunately, they only gave my Mom a 2 hour window to pick up the luggage from the port.

There was an article...I think it was in the newspaper. Anyway, the travel writer had put a bright orange duct tape "X" on his bag. There was a similar bag rolling around the carousel, and he spotted an elderly woman rolling his away.

He chased after and asked her, "Didn't you see the big orange X on the bag?"

And she replied, "Yes...and I wondered who had done that to my suitcase!" :D:):D

I wonder if she would have gotten ours confused with hers. :)

DSCF0620_zps06be638a.jpg

Got this shot of the luggage bins ready to go on the ship. Told DH that we didn't have to worry about ours.

DSC01344_zps0ec35f4a.jpg

OP - let us know how this works out for you, please (And, good luck!)

We used to carry our bags off But, it's a crappy way to end a relaxing cruise, imo.

Now, my 2 favorite words...Luggage Valet! (And, no, we don't carry our own when we drive any longer either.)

I wonder if she would have gotten ours confused with hers. :)

DSCF0620_zps06be638a.jpg

Got this shot of the luggage bins ready to go on the ship. Told DH that we didn't have to worry about ours.

DSC01344_zps0ec35f4a.jpg

Your bags are lovely! Very creative of you! :D:):D

OP - let us know how this works out for you, please (And, good luck!)

We used to carry our bags off But, it's a crappy way to end a relaxing cruise, imo.

Now, my 2 favorite words...Luggage Valet! (And, no, we don't carry our own when we drive any longer either.)

I just looked to see if the OP has been online again and they posted to their rollcall yesterday. The bag has been found.

Found out my bag went to Alberta. An honest person called me and told me he had my bag by mistake. There was a big group traveling together and my bag was grabbed by mistake. Now working with him and RCCL to get bag back. Sorry to hear that other cruises are sick also. Been bed ridden since Saturday night with high fever, chills and aches. Hope everyone fells better soon.

To the OP, I hope you get better soon and am glad you almost have your bag back.

I think another of the biggest mistakes with disembarkation luggage going missing is what happened to moandfran. The staff is hustling and if a 1 looks like 7 or an upside down tag 13 looks like 31; it's easily placed in the wrong group. That's why when Ive had one go missing, I always look in the "group" that it could have been mixed up, what would your group # look like if it was upside down, only the first digit was seen, or could it be mixed up with a digit that looks similar ( like 8 and 3) Of course even after checking other numbers, it didn't help me last time, they just found my bag with it's tag properly attached inexplicably in their "unlabeled luggage" section.:rolleyes:

My biggest fear at the moment is that my luggage is going to go missing BEFORE we get on the cruise ship. We have to catch a flight to another city to board our cruise. After two family members had luggage go missing from the same airport earlier this year (which has never turned up since) I'm paranoid that the same thing could happen to our bags and we will have to board a cruise ship with no luggage at all!! I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone? What would we do?? :eek:

Glad your bag was found! Oh in January we had two cabins on Jewel...my 4 girls 8,14, 17 and 20 were next door, packing on that sad night before you are rushed off the ship....the next day...we were all walking off with carry on bags except my 8 yr old said I saw all the luggage by the doors so I put mine out too, she was so proud of herself....her stuffed animals, and even her new sombrero----- without luggage tags they were taken by RCI staff at midnight....ooppps . Needless to say she was in tears in the morning after we explained what happened...luckily we found the animals, hat and her small bag standing alone in unclaimed area...it took a couple of extra hours..since we all had ours, but well worth it :) we will see if she does that again in Nov LOL

Dawn

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

My biggest fear at the moment is that my luggage is going to go missing BEFORE we get on the cruise ship. We have to catch a flight to another city to board our cruise. After two family members had luggage go missing from the same airport earlier this year (which has never turned up since) I'm paranoid that the same thing could happen to our bags and we will have to board a cruise ship with no luggage at all!! I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone? What would we do?? :eek:

It happened to us on a cruise. A garment bag never showed up. That was back when you dressed every night for dinner in at least a coat and tie and "church" dress for the ladies. All were in the garment bag except for one red satin pants suit of mine. I wore it to dinner every night (lol). I gave the suit to Goodwill when I got home I was so sick of it.

Young boys were thrilled they didn't have to dress. Husband and boys just showed up every night under dressed. It was a 650 passenger ship so everyone pretty much knew they weren't tacky. When we disembarked, the garment bag was right where the rest of our luggage was. Missing the ship's tag but if they had taken the time to look, our name was on it in two different places. The airline required ID tag and a business card in the provided pocket. We figure it was in the "hole" the entire time.

As a result, I now carry on formal clothes and a couple of days of casual clothes and anything else I can't live without. The rest I cross-pack, half DH's in one suitcase, half mine in another (careful that there are complete outfits in each bag) so I can limp along with a limited wardrobe.

Not happened since on embarkation.

Tucker in Texas

Err....... why do it in the rush hour when you had already established it would take so much longer than the usual journey ?? :confused:

Because it makes the situation that much worse. "Curse Royal Caribbean for making me drive back to the port.. And at RUSH HOUR!"

We forgot a bag once. It was a large Hot Pink bagolini full of dirty clothes. Got all the way home and had a message from RCI that we left it. Couldn't figure out how we missed it considering it's color. They UPSed it to us (we paid). Decided that was a good deal. Tempted to leave all the luggage next time and just pay the UPS charge. :)

Five of us got off the Explorer with about 15 pieces of luggage (violated rule #1 don't over pack). Bags are packed to the ceiling in the SUV. We get back home to Philly and our friends garment bag is missing (violated rule #2 - count your bags).

Called Port Liberty and they confirm they have the bag. Since it's a 2 hour ride back to the port we ask what can we do? Port says "no problem we will ship it UPS to your home - NO CHARGE!"

So you will never hear me complain about pier workers again.

Lou

Fully agree. Got off IOS about 2 weeks ago after signing on for the late departure and my suit bag was missing. Asked one of the pier guys and he spent about 20 mins looking for it. He went to the left luggage area and looked for any suit bags that had been left behind. There was 1 suit bag left in the left luggage area so they phoned the owner and asked him if he had his suit bag. He replied that he did so they asked him to open it and have a look at the suit. He came back rather sheepish to admit that he had taken the wrong bag.

They wouldnt allow him to collect his bag until mine had been returned and he was responsible for arranging the deliver of mine.

Got a call today from the person who took my bag by mistake, he informed me that it is being shipped through UPS as of today. Will call RCCL rep who has helped me with this problem and inform them what is happening and see if they can help cover the expense for shipping this to me from Canada. Wish me luck.

Got a call today from the person who took my bag by mistake, he informed me that it is being shipped through UPS as of today. Will call RCCL rep who has helped me with this problem and inform them what is happening and see if they can help cover the expense for shipping this to me from Canada. Wish me luck.

Glad to hear it turned up! Wow, made it all the way up here by mistake. My hubby and I recently purchased non-black Heys luggage with extra stuff added for identification but I still worry someone will grab it by mistake.

Glad your bag has been found!

Karen

The person who took your bag should cover all shipping costs, that's what happened in my case and when it was in my hands I then phone the port so they could release the other bag to the offender..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm so glad the person who made the mistake was willing to own up to it and contact you.

I'm surprised no one has made the obvious point ... why are thousands of people allowed to walk off with whatever bags they select in the luggage claim area? It happens at plenty of airports too. I appreciate the airports where there is a security checkpoint where you have to show your matching claim tickets before you exit the baggage claim area. Mistakes do happen ... but there is also the potential for outright theft. I would really like to see RCI add this final step to the luggage retrieval process.

I'm so glad the person who made the mistake was willing to own up to it and contact you.

I'm surprised no one has made the obvious point ... why are thousands of people allowed to walk off with whatever bags they select in the luggage claim area? It happens at plenty of airports too. I appreciate the airports where there is a security checkpoint where you have to show your matching claim tickets before you exit the baggage claim area. Mistakes do happen ... but there is also the potential for outright theft. I would really like to see RCI add this final step to the luggage retrieval process.

I don't agree. Getting off the ship is enough of a time sink and hassle, I would hate to then stand in yet another line having our bags checked to get out of the terminal. I could see that adding another hour....and of course we would need to pay for the luggage tags with individual numbers and the employees who are doing the checking....even many airports have done away with this. All to save an occasional misplaced bag...which, of course, will still happen anyways. No thank you!

Glad the lost was found... It is stressful no matter which ends it goes missing. Most of us are not wealthy and can not afford to lose all the clothing in a bag. We have had three times when luggage was delayed from the airlines getting on a cruise but by us being active in the search ( meaning extra trips back to the airport on our dime ) we have always got them before we cruised. Another reason we fly in the day before.

Our daughter has the worst experiences again with airlines and not Rcl. Lost both their bags for a honeymoon cruise never to see them again ( lost all those pretty shower gifts, rehearsal dress ) and another time the airline lost their bags coming home after a cruise. They were found 2 weeks later at a luggage storage place at DFW only because she went and searched herself.

So we are the ones who others dislike because we take stuffed carryons on board planes and drag too many bags off cruiseships. Bad experiences have a way of doing that to you...

We also put ugly pompoms on our bags but as some have said even that doesn't stop some people.

Guest maddycat
The person who took your bag should cover all shipping costs, that's what happened in my case and when it was in my hands I then phone the port so they could release the other bag to the offender..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. They were carelesss and took the wrong suitcase. They should pay to return the suitcase.

After my Brilliance cruise last April, I had a relatively early flight out of San Juan, so I purchased RCI transfer to the airport, thinking I'd ride a bus with my luggage stowed underneath, as I'd done many times with NCL.

WRONG!

They threw my suitcase onto a truck (whose license plate number I failed to memorize), told me to get on a bus, and I arrived at the airport wondering if/where/when I'd be reunited with my luggage, along with several hundred other passengers standing in a daze on the sidewalk.

One truck arrived and whizzed by. Was my luggage on that one?

Second truck arrived, stopped, unloaded. My bag wasn't there.

I was in the early stages of a meltdown when a 3rd truck arrived and got halfway unloaded before I glimpsed my hot-pink luggage strap. YIPPEE!! I got to take my dirty clothes home after all!!! :D

But NEVER AGAIN will I purchase an airport transfer from RCI. The cruise was great, but playing hide-and-seek with my suitcase when I had a flight to catch left a bad taste in my mouth. :(

Archived