Signature Restaurant Reservations

JSA123

Firstly, thank you all for your great advice. After a great deal of thought, I have decided to book us on an Oceania cruise (rather than Regent or Crystal who were the other 'contenders'). We are looking at Spring 2014 in an Oceania Suite. One of the disappointments on our recent Regent cruise was only being allocated 1 reservation in each of the signature restaurants and then having no chance of getting any more. In your experience, is this an issue with Oceania?

Firstly, thank you all for your great advice. After a great deal of thought, I have decided to book us on an Oceania cruise (rather than Regent or Crystal who were the other 'contenders'). We are looking at Spring 2014 in an Oceania Suite. One of the disappointments on our recent Regent cruise was only being allocated 1 reservation in each of the signature restaurants and then having no chance of getting any more. In your experience, is this an issue with Oceania?

If you are in a suite you can use the service of your butler to get additional booking on the day you wish it. They do the legwork and magic.

Also you could have room service from any of the specialties.

If you are in Oceania Suite you are allotted 2 in each restaurant. As stated above your butler can do his magic and your suite is certainly large enough to dine in. We loved the suite and I am sure you will too

As I understand it the number of dining reservations per restaurant depends on the length of the cruise. In January we were in an Oceania suite on the riviera for a 10 day cruise. We were able to reserve 2 dinners per restaurant about 3 months in advance... And our butler got us an additional one at Red Ginger which we particularly loved...

Here's the info from the Oceania website (well-hidden in the Guest Services FAQ http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx under Shipboard Services > When can I make reservations in the specialty restaurant? > Reservation Rules link):

Reservation Rules

When to make your reservations:

• Your booking must be paid in full.
  • The online dining reservation system closes 7 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.
  • Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites can make reservations 90 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.
  • Penthouse Suites can make reservations 75 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.
  • Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms can make reservations 60 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms can make reservations 45 days until 7 days prior to embarkation.

Number of reservations (Regatta, Insignia, Nautica):

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda

• 0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant
  • 8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant
  • 18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

• 8-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant
  • 18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Number of reservations (Marina and Riviera):

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Oceania Suite

• 0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant
  • 8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant
  • 18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Penthouse Suite

• 0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant
  • 18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

• 18+ Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Number of guests per table:

All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

The Rules that you quote were set up in an effort to give the maximum number of passengers access to the Specialty Restaurants, and therefore represent the number of Reservations which you are being guaranteed, not "restricted to".

The seating capacity of the Restaurants well exceeds the number of Reservations which are pre-guaranteed, and additional slots will be available once you are on the ship.

The Butlers handle Reservation issues for Suite Passengers, others will deal with a Restaurant Desk (in the Embarkation Lobby on Marina & Riviera) or with the individual Restaurant Captain's (on Insignia, Nautica and Regatta).

You book your specialty restaurants up to your quota via Cruise Personalizer on Oceania website . Then on board there is a desk just inside the entry of the Terrace Cafe which is staffed at breakfast time, . Pax can book any available remaining space that evening in the specialty restaurants irrespective of cabin type occupancy .

Wow, thank you again for your invaluable help. What a great resource this board is.

Now I have another 'worry'. I had a couple of hours to spare yesterday and read some Oceania Riviera/Marina reviews which were less than complimentary about the food (one of the main reasons for us selecting Oceania).

I went to a presentation of Oceania here in the Uk last week and was completely sold on the food - the guy giving the presentation did a fantastic job of conveying his enthusiasm and pride in Oceania in general, and the food in particular.

I think I'll go ahead and book anyway, but will be seriously disappointed if the food does not live up to expectations.

Wow, thank you again for your invaluable help. Wh

Now I have another 'worry'. I had a couple of hours to spare yesterday and read some Oceania Riviera/Marina reviews which were less than complimentary about the food (one of the main reasons for us selecting Oceania).

I went to a presentation of Oceania here in the Uk last week and was completely sold on the food - the guy giving the presentation did a fantastic job of conveying his enthusiasm and pride in Oceania in general, and the food in particular.

I think I'll go ahead and book anyway, but will be seriously disappointed if the food does not live up to expectations.

As the saying goes "there's one in every crowd." Don't worry if your like most on this board you will love and be very happy with the food on O.

Enjoy your cruise.

I am not a food expert or critic however I felt is was very good all around. It is quite obvious Oceania buys high end ingredients and cooks to order. That said remember you are on a cruise ship, if by chance you get a dish you do not like just send it back and get another, the waite staff and chef are very eager to please.

But I do know there has been one really foodie who was hypercritical of the food. He has exacting standards...very much so. For the rest of us, the food has just been fabulous. I am inclined to agree with another frequent poster, mostly on the Crystal board..but he is all over, Keith1010..Go by the 80/20 rule. If 80% say something..then there is merit. If the other 20 differ...oh well. Bottom line...food is great

I forget the name of the reviewer, but he posted a great number of pics of both the food and the locations he visited. His comments on the food were scathing to say the least, I seem to remember he criticised the caesar salad made table-side many times. However, we have taken a view based on the vast majority of reviews and decided to give Oceania a whirl. After all, what's the worst that can happen..

Seriously for the most part people like the food on Oceania as mentioned above it is not always perfect but they do use quality ingredients

If it is not to your liking the waiter will exchange it for something else

If the food was so bad then they would not have many repeat passengers

Food is subjective

Out of over 400 reviews the general concensus is good to excellant

Nothing in life is perfect ...including Oceania;)

Go & judge for yourself

Lyn

On our 10 day Baltic cruise on Marina last month we were able to get a 2nd seating at Jaques. We ate there the first night and loved it and just asked and they got us another table a few nights away. Granted, it was probably the last seating but we didn't mind. :)

As for the food - it is very good. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's probably the best cruise food I've ever had, and some of the dishes were spectacular. And yes - we are addicted and have TWO more cruises on Marina booked (Next July and then Feb 2014). We liked it THAT much.

Don't miss Baristas up in the library. Wonderful coffee and snacks. Also, the milkshakes in Waves (the pool restaurant) were sinfully good.

I forget the name of the reviewer, but he posted a great number of pics of both the food and the locations he visited. His comments on the food were scathing to say the least, I seem to remember he criticised the caesar salad made table-side many times. However, we have taken a view based on the vast majority of reviews and decided to give Oceania a whirl. After all, what's the worst that can happen..

I remember that extremely lengthy - and negative - set of reviews. I read all that to say more about the reviewer, and his need to establish his credentials as an über-foodie - than anything meaningful about Oceania. It appeared that nothing short of the French Laundry in a hull would have satisfied him. We're looking forward to our first O cruise with great anticipation.

Now I have another 'worry'. I had a couple of hours to spare yesterday and read some Oceania Riviera/Marina reviews which were less than complimentary about the food.

What are those expectations? What LHT28 said is absolutely correct: (a) it's generally excellent, (b) if you don't care for something, the waiter will happily bring something else.

We were on Marina for 25 days this spring, and while we are not foodies, and not everything was the best meal we'd ever had, we were very happy with the quality of the food. Very happy. I think you will be, too.:)

Yes, yes, we know who you mean. As my departed Father would have said, "I'd love to buy em for what they're worth and sell em for what they think they're worth, then I'd never have to work another day in my life."

As I understand it the number of dining reservations per restaurant depends on the length of the cruise. In January we were in an Oceania suite on the riviera for a 10 day cruise. We were able to reserve 2 dinners per restaurant about 3 months in advance... And our butler got us an additional one at Red Ginger which we particularly loved...

Just wanted to say thank you for your input on this - and for your several posts detailing the differences you have experienced between Regent and Oceania. I have been trying to decide between Regent, Crystal and Oceania in the last couple of weeks, having just returned from our first ever cruise with Regent. We concur with your comments on the two lines, and have finally decided on Oceania (Caribbean, Oceania Suite).

Archived