LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Answers to some questions:

1. I am in E411, but any cabin on that deck in the area with the extended angled balcony does not have an obstruction seaward

2. Retreat pool is free and has not been busy, but the weather has not been really warm enough to make a judgement

3. I don't have info on any particular aft cabin with soot other than 2 owners suites and 2 other regular balcony cabins which I not get the numbers of when the people told me about the problem

Pia, Pam, Amelia and Bob: Thank you for taking the time to include us in your journey. You've been most gracious, each one of you.

A question for Pam, if I may impose: We're booked on the Royal in January, M624 cabin. How bad is the noise factor and how early does it start? I'm a light sleeper so might have to reconsider the location.

Enjoy the rest of your journey!

We decided not to do the CT. We've actually only done the MDR once but it was good. Interesting thing about the CT. I was eating breakfast this am in Sabatini's when in strolled Alfredo Marzi. I didn't know he was onboard.....

Bob

That alone should be reason to book Chef's table. On my last transatlantic he boarded in Lisbon and crossed with us. I did the Chef's Table with him, and it was fantastic! (The ship's Executive Chef was clearly a little put out, but the boss took the spotlight). Bob - maybe this could turn it around for you?!

That alone should be reason to book Chef's table. On my last transatlantic he boarded in Lisbon and crossed with us. I did the Chef's Table with him' date=' and it was fantastic! (The ship's Executive Chef was clearly a little put out, but the boss took the spotlight). Bob - maybe this could turn it around for you?![/quote']

He did mine on Ruby too. I see no reason to ever do another one, he was amazing and I don't think it could be topped. Lovely man.

Popping in with some Madeira information. What used to be here is no longer here. The two story terminal still has two stories, but the escalators and elevator are no longer in use. Why? Because every single store that was has gone out of business. No more wine tasting, no more café, no more cute boutiques. Nothing. Oh, yes. No more wifi and no more telephones. There is one souvenir stand in the exit lobby and a few (three I think) kiosks outside down where the buses meet. There is a HOHO stand; don’t know what it does or where it goes, but the cost is 12 euros. The weather was beautiful, but we enjoyed it out on deck. And after a lunch of delicious ribs, we watched a movie. Imagine that. A movie. ;) “This is 40.” R-rated and silly. But we liked it.

Now it’s wine time, so Adeus for now.

Pat: I do expect to "see" you in West Africa. Almost all of these ports will be new to us. But first need two short carib cruises in Dec. and Feb. :)

Alfredo's: tell you what we liked. Antipasto (veggie one) and the calzone. YUM.

Question for BOB: you mentioned that you and Holli like Alfredo's. Please tell me what menu items you have been enjoying!

Not to speak for Bob, but we had dinner at Alfredo's on the last formal night. I had antipasto, vegetable soup, salad, and vegetarian pizza. All excellent. Couldn't finish the pizza.

Good evening (1838 hours local time). We are departing from Madeira. Today we participated in an excursion that was organized. It was a wonderful trip off the beaten path. We also had lunch at a wonderful local restaurant that was recommended by our driver. Lunch was fantastic. There were also many chances to take some great pictures.

Now comes the best part of the cruise for me. Seven great sea days:). This is definitely my personal favorite part of the whole trip.

Haven't decided what to do for dinner as of yet. Just so many different options:D

Bob

Question for BOB: you mentioned that you and Holli like Alfredo's. Please tell me what menu items you have been enjoying!

There are a number of different pizza choices. There are also several salad options along with soup and an Antipasti. In addition. They also have a calzone option.....:):):)

Bob

To all of you updating live from the Royal:

Thanks for your posts. I hope all of you have an enjoyable week ahead. We look forward to meeting some of you on the 5 day sailing on the 29th. We will also be on the ship for the 03 NOV sailing.

I appreciate the updates and I wish all of you lots of fun for next week.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

SHOGUN I have one question for you how did you guys get to and from the life boat drill when there is no stairs in the middle of the ship. If you had to use the lifts where they jammed when going back to your state room? I will be on the ship in April so i was just wondering. Some people were complaining about the ship I take it with a gran of salt .I will make my own desions while on board have a safe trip across the pound

SHOGUN I have one question for you how did you guys get to and from the life boat drill when there is no stairs in the middle of the ship. If you had to use the lifts where they jammed when going back to your state room? I will be on the ship in April so i was just wondering. Some people were complaining about the ship I take it with a gran of salt .I will make my own desions while on board have a safe trip across the pound

Roni, it has been reported here on CC many times that the crew staircase is opened up for the muster drill and thus in case of emergencies.

Had a wonderful day in Madeira today. One of the things I've come to love is the playing of the first two bars of the Love Boat song as the ship enters and leaves port. It's a hoot and so much better than the boring one-note horn. :)

Took an all-day tour organized by "Carib." Haven't been to Madeira before but I have to admit my interest was piqued due to the Batchelorette episode last spring. It's a beautiful and very dramatic island with majestic and very steep cliffs and peaks and black lava beaches. We drove all over the island and stopped about 6-7 times for photo ops. The hillsides are so steep and so convoluted that you spend most of your time driving through tunnels through the mountains. There is nothing gradual about any of the hills anywhere on the island. The mountains seem to point to the sky. I would happily come here again.

Now that the last port has been visited and the last tour taken, it's time to start relaxing and enjoying the ship. The food has been so varied and so good in the buffet that it's crowded every night. I think we're going to eat in the buffet for the rest of the cruise.

I'm still hearing complaints about the elevators. That (in my experience) seems to be the only thing people are still nitpicking about. Oh, and the TVs. They seem to be very temperamental and many people are having problems, including yours truly. In my case, buttons didn't work when selected. The "fix" is to turn them off, wait a few minutes and try again. That worked for me.

I've taken a number of photos of my cabin and also of the balconies near, and under, the Bridge. I'll post when I get home. I've also taken screenshots of the Intranet options and will post those.

Hey, what is the weather like in that neck of the woods? Just curious; have not yet taken a cruise across the pond - but it is on my "retirement" bucket list of things to do.:) Is it warm, hot, cold, ????? :confused: Thx.

Debbie

Our weather has been great, from the 70s-80's and sunny most of the time. Today, there were showers but not bad. Yesterday, they had a nasty rain storm so impossible to predict.

A question for Pam, if I may impose: We're booked on the Royal in January, M624 cabin. How bad is the noise factor and how early does it start? I'm a light sleeper so might have to reconsider the location.
If it were me, I'd get a cabin on another deck. I don't know whether you'd experience noise. I think so since at the very least, you'd hear the vacuuming and cleaning.

Interesting question! BUT REMEMBER, you CANNOT use the lifts during a drill, fire or otherwise!! My latest technique is to 1st, find out where my muster station is located. 2nd, find out where the closest bar TO the muster station is located. 3rd, about a half hour BEFORE the drill takes place, I go to the designated bar, WITH life vest in hand, and get a nice glass of wine. About the time I finish the wine, the drill begins, and I take a leisurely walk to the muster station. 4th and most importantly! After the muster drill, I return to the designated PMB (Pre-Muster Bar) and have another glass of wine before taking the LIFTS back to my room to drop off the life vest! This has worked well for me for my past two cruises. I'm slow....it took me a while + a hip slowly going south on me, to figure this one out! ;)

Edited by #1winelover

Interesting question! BUT REMEMBER, you CANNOT use the lifts during a drill, fire or otherwise!! My latest technique is to 1st, find out where my muster station is located. 2nd, find out where the closest bar TO the muster station is located. 3rd, about a half hour BEFORE the drill takes place, I go to the designated bar, WITH life vest in hand, and get a nice glass of wine. About the time I finish the wine, the drill begins, and I take a leisurely walk to the muster station. 4th and most importantly! After the muster drill, I return to the designated PMB (Pre-Muster Bar) and have another glass of wine before taking the LIFTS back to my room to drop off the life vest! This has worked well for me for my past two cruises. I'm slow....it took me a while + a hip slowly going south on me, to figure this one out! ;)

Now that's a great plan...going to try it ;)

One of the things I've come to love is the playing of the first two bars of the Love Boat song as the ship enters and leaves port. It's a hoot and so much better than the boring one-note horn. :)

I've taken a number of photos of my cabin and also of the balconies near, and under, the Bridge. I'll post when I get home. I've also taken screenshots of the Intranet options and will post those.

Love the details on the horn :) And, anxious to see your pictures!

These are the reasons I like following the "Live" threads :)

Thank you!

I've also been following this live thread. Yes, that view of the ship heading toward Ft. Lauderdale gave me goose bumps. fathercop and his group (have sailed with him before) will be waiting for her to arrive back here in Florida and we'll be boarding on November 17. There are friends going on the 10/29 voyage as well.

Happy travels. I know you're going to have a wonderful time just relaxing and enjoying the days sailing across the ocean. I look forward to more fun updates.

PS. My hubby would join you in that bar before and after the muster drill, #1winelover ;)

Lynne

I've also been following this live thread. Yes, that view of the ship heading toward Ft. Lauderdale gave me goose bumps. fathercop and his group (have sailed with him before) will be waiting for her to arrive back here in Florida and we'll be boarding on November 17. There are friends going on the 10/29 voyage as well.

Happy travels. I know you're going to have a wonderful time just relaxing and enjoying the days sailing across the ocean. I look forward to more fun updates.

PS. My hubby would join you in that bar before and after the muster drill, #1winelover ;)

Lynne

And we would raise a toast together, to the drill! :D