How noisy are the locks?

krillsister

We were in "aquarium class" and the first night we heard all sorts of "scraping" noises. It turned out we were going through the locks. I would bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. Also, don't forget if you are going through the locks, you will be verrrry close to the wall, don't try to open your window/balcony door.

We went through 65+ locks on our recent Viking trip (budapest to Amsterdam) and did not find that they disturbed our sleep. We were so tired from the tours and activities we slept more soundly than ever! Just a few bumps now and then, but no real noise.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We went through 68 between Budapest and Amsterdam and none of them woke us, was very interesting going through them..the first few we went up on deck and took photos ..as the time went on we were not quite as enthusiastic!! :-)

A few bumps thats about all.

I have a few photos with me touching the side of the lock, literally about 3-4 inches from the side of the ship...you can see why the ships cant get any wider.

I agree with janmcn, we too slept so soundly from all the walking and tours..and probably all the alcohol :-)

At home I sleep with the windows open so thought this would be great on level two also. Woke up the first night with a freight train that seemed to go forever. Not dreadfully loud, just confusing in the middle of the night.

We used earplugs several times on our AMA river cruises. It wasn't the locks so much that made noise (although when passing through locks near cities the town sounds/traffic/trains can be loud), but there were other sources of noise.

Our cabin was on the top-most level inside the ship, so the 'sun deck' was above us. We liked this in general, but when arriving in the early morning at some stops, the process of moving the gangway off the top deck and into position between the ship and the dock could be VERY noisy.

One night when there was a late port departure (midnight) we were jolted awake when the gangway was dropped onto the deck the last few inches. Sounded like an explosion above us.

Even on lower decks, there can be noise from adjacent cabins (too-loud TV, loud snoring, people talking in the hallway, etc). Bring the earplugs...and have a great trip!

• 3 years later...

I found the locks quite noisy at night on the Scenic Pearl last October on the Rhine. As we were packing to leave at the end of the cruise, I did find earplugs in the closet that might have helped me sleep.

Scenic always supply earplugs but we have never had to use them as yet. We are more than used to working locks as we have a Narrowboat and cruise the English canals. The huge European locks are something else though. It is up to the navigation team and how expert they are at getting in and out of a lock as to wether any nocking or scrapping occurs slightly easier in the narrower locks where there is only one boat, where there are two side by side then they are relying on the competence of the other crew as well. One one cruise our captain was furious to say the least when another cruise ship (I will leave the company nameless) scratched his boat quite severely by the end of the day we were pristine again. Enjoy your cruise and your locking, up or down. CA

On our recent Rhone cruise, my wife complained to me the next morning about a severe bump that she said woke her (but not me). Another night I was awoken by loud creaking sounds that my wife slept through. So go figure...but to me it is all part of the allure that is European river cruising.

The only thing that woke me during the Grand European Tour was some idiot who decided to power walk on the upper deck at 5:00 AM

Which is why I book the middle deck. Everytime you think you have made something foolproof, God invents a bigger fool!

Which is why I book the middle deck. Everytime you think you have made something foolproof, God invents a bigger fool!

My mother didn't raise no fool [emoji12] which is why I always book middle deck as well - always cabins above/cabins below. And I always bring earplugs when I travel.

I had one lock wake me up more so because we stopped moving and I did go out to see what was going on. Those of us who are intensely curious require a balcony or at least a window [emoji2]. Once we started going up in the lock there was a loud clunking noise - some kind of big weight looking thing - but I was already awake and taking pictures.

Another time I woke up because my husband opened the door & I felt a draft. We were already up to the top & started to move out. The ship stopped and reversed engines. We sat there for a bit while they cleared the sun deck and lowered the railings.

There was a bridge or walkway over the exit. Low bridge; everybody down! Clearing the deck made quite a racket I felt bad for those on the upper deck.

Which of course brings us back to... book middle deck an always pack earplugs [emoji41]

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums