Locking luggage upon disembarkation?

Johnsblonde

The whole thing where they just have everyone's luggage in a big warehouse makes me nervous. Hubby caught someone about to walk off with our bag last cruise. Since I had it covered in zebra tape, it's not like she didn't know it wasn't hers. It wasn't anything valuable, but it was my shoes!

Anyway, do they search them on the way off the ship too? Would it be ok to lock 'em up the night before?

What a horrible situation with your bag-o-shoes..I hope it was an honest mistake on the other traveler's part...We always lock our bags regardless of where they go...especially out into the hallway on that last night and knowing they will be in the terminal the next morning mixed in with hundreds/thousands of pieces of luggage..I too wonder why there isn't a more secure way to make sure you are actually taking your bags as you depart.

We lock our luggage before we place it outside our room for disembarkation. Some will say that anyone can break the locks which is true but in most situations if someone want to open the luggage they will go after ones that do not have locks on them. Just as there is always a chance that someone will walk off with your luggage at the airport when it is on the luggage carrousel the same is true at the pier but to me at the pier a little less likely given often you have to go through customs.

Keith

Locking your luggage may give you peace of mind, but it doesn't make your belongings safer. Watch this video to see how easy and quick it is to open a locked suitcase with just a common ball point pen without leaving a trace - open AND closed again in less than a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

Some experts will argue that locking your luggage will give the impression there is something valuable inside, making the locked luggage an attractive target. If a thief wants your luggage badly enough they will simply walk away with it and open it at a more isolated location.

We have never locked our luggage and have never had an issue with stolen items.

I always lock my luggage as I do my house or car. It is my belief that criminals are opportunists and since time is a crucial element of a theft and I find it reasonable to believe that it takes more time to open a locked piece of luggage than one that isn't. I have chosen a Triple Lockdown Luggage Lock. This lock differs from others is that it makes it more difficult for a criminal to cover their tracks by opening your luggage through the zippers like in a previous video shows. Speaking of that video listen to the ending and it says you are responsible for items in your luggage and while not wide spread there are cases where contraband has been added to luggage by baggage handlers.

I believe security is an important element of travel. I have learned a lot from Kevin Coffey. He founded Airport Crimes Investigations Detail for the Los Angles Police Department and to me he is an expert in travel security. Officer Coffey offers many tips of security on his web site but he also has an audio book on travel security I found enlightening.

Shak

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/triple-lockdown-luggage-lock-p-1002.html

http://www.kevincoffey.com/about.htm

I rate evidence of tampering better than locking. Cable ties & such. At least you know immediately you retrieve your bag. The clingfim wrap offered at airports is a very good idea, but expensive.

But none of this is gonna stop someone going off from the terminal with your bags. Same applies to airport carousels. I've never been asked to show the luggage sticker on my ticket when leaving the baggage hall, & if I'm delayed in a long line at immigration I do worry whether my bags will still be on the carousel.:eek:

That said, I've never had a problem. Mebbe cos of my tatty old bags. :)

JB :)

<snip>

But none of this is gonna stop someone going off from the terminal with your bags. Same applies to airport carousels. I've never been asked to show the luggage sticker on my ticket when leaving the baggage hall, & if I'm delayed in a long line at immigration I do worry whether my bags will still be on the carousel.:eek:

That said, I've never had a problem. Mebbe cos of my tatty old bags. :)

JB :)

You jest but make a good point.

Forget expensive looking, designer luggage and use plain, regular luggage that does not stand out from the rest. If you were going to steal a suitcase, wouldn't you likely look for a costly looking suitcase thinking there's a good chance there are expensive items packed inside?

Never pack jewelry, cash or pricey electronics in your suitcase that will be checked.

[/b]

I'm not big on locking my luggage because I think it makes it more attractive to thieves, giving the appearance of there being something valuable inside. Others disagree and think a lock makes their baggage less appealing because it would involve another 3-5 seconds to get inside (compared to an unlocked bag), so thieves - wanting speed and volume - will look elsewhere.

To each his/her own. So far, traveling all over the world in the last 25 years, I've been lucky and never had anything stolen......but I don't know if that's because I don't lock my luggage, or in spite of it.

Many years ago, I worked on a baggage installation project at DIA. Our company had a maintenance contract and for nine months I was a part of that. Walked around the conveyers picking up luggage locks (many) and quite a few keys. Gave em' to my youngest grandson to play with. Interesting fact. Many, many different type and style of locks, but, only two styles of keys that opened em' all. :eek: Think about the TSA. They can open the approved luggage locks because they have the key as do so as anybody who uses them. Other that those locks, what do you think that they do when they open your luggage. :D

Unless you're planning on someday reselling your luggage you may consider getting some fabric paint and painting your initials or a picture on it. It makes it easier to spot on a carousel or if someone else has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unless you're planning on someday reselling your luggage you may consider getting some fabric paint and painting your initials or a picture on it. It makes it easier to spot on a carousel or if someone else has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I like that idea!

If you are a thief, and going to steal a suitcase, and there are two identical bags, but one has a lock on it, which one are you taking?

The one with a lock. It may have something inside that the owner wants protected, mistakenly thinking that a flimsy lock will stop me from finding it.

If you are a thief, and going to steal a suitcase, and there are two identical bags, but one has a lock on it, which one are you taking?

Since I am not a thief I may have a difficult time answering this question but I would suggest you make your bag not look like others. I am confident to say a non descript black bag would make an easy target locked or unlocked. My luggage is a color that is pretty unique reducing the chances of accidental loss or theft. A thief as I understand wants an easy target and doesn't want to stand out in a crowd.

On our last cruise I went to the baggage claiming area that my luggage was supposed to be at but wasn't. After scanning from afar I spotted my luggage in a sea of black bags in a different area that was not near where it was supposed to be solely by its color. What had happened was the cruise line identity tag was torn off and a porter put it in the first place he came by.

Shak

I figure if my luggage gets taken at the end of the cruise, well then the person who opens the bag will have lots of stinky clothes to wash....the joke is on them !

:D Funny Above!

We never lock ours but do keep things of value with us.

LuLu

~~~~

No locks, no zipties, no nothing. Take it if you must. You won't find anything valuable other than clothes, shoes and some toiletries. The expensive stuff is either on my person or in my carry-on.

There are thousands and thousands and thousands of bags at the cruise ship terminal, the airport, etc. If mine happens to be the one that gets lost or stolen, it's just an unlucky coincidence for me. Yep, it will be a inconvenenience and cost me a few bucks, but it's a small likelohood that something bad will happen and certainly not enough to worry about!

Definitely the one with the lock. Only takes an extra couple of seconds to open and the lock signals VALUABLES INSIDE! Locking a suitcase is like locking a letter you send in the mail; does not make it any more secure, but definitely draws attention to would be thieves. Valuables should never be left in suitcases; if a valuable doesn't fit in a carry on, don't travel with it.

Anytime your luggage isn't in YOUR possession, it should be locked! Always! And, nothing of value should be in any checked bag....ever.

Locking doesn't signal that valuables are in it. It simply states that you don't want anyone in your stuff! No one has a right to rifle through your things! Plus...you don't want anyone putting stuff INTO your bags!

Few thieves would hang around luggage pickups opening bags and rifling through them. They'd be spotted in no time. They would pick up a bag and walk away with it as if they owned it, and they'd pick one that looked "interesting". New and locked would look more "interesting" than scruffy and open.

I don't think the danger of someone putting something into your bag is particularly high, just because whoever does it has to get it back afterwards.

Archived