FDR ? - Hot breakfast w/ concierge room?

Post it

For me it gets down to what I pay for the trip and then how I feel once on the ship. I pick the room I want based on price I feel this vacation is worth to me and the location of the room. After all the fun is over a shoe shine, eggs, bottle of wine, butler, etc plays little into it for me. Once I pay for the trip how I feel on it plays a big part in if I will be a repeat customer. To think I am on a two class ship where I can't get a egg in my room, get on the ship when I arrive, get a tender when I want sticks in my mind more than the fare I paid six months before. These things are not a deal beaker but something to think about.

...To think I am on a two class ship...

It's actually a 4 class ship, if you logically extend the breakfast options...

OVO Suites (Owners, Vista & Oceania) get more than Penthouse suites. For example, they get a bar setup. Penthouse Suites get more than Concierge. For example, they get a butler. Concierge cabins (category A)get more than non-concierge (category B and lower). For example, they get the hot breakfast option.

According to the logic in this thread, guests in Inside rooms should get a hot breakfast, butler and bar setup. After all, it's a high class ship, and there should be no differences in the way guests are treated...right?

...Maybe they should go back to the old days & eliminate Concierge Cat cabins

Just have them as regular Cabins & Suites (PH+)...

To do so, they would be losing the higher fares now created by the Concierge category. To maintain the revenues, cabins in Categories B and below would have to share in the offsetting of the Concierge fares, which would mean that fares in Category A would be reduced and all others below that would cost more. Folks who would be paying more for the breakfast option might wish it hadn't been changed, and those who don't mind a Continental breakfast would be unhappy. I bet there are more of the latter than the former...

To do so, they would be losing the higher fares now created by the Concierge category. To maintain the revenues, cabins in Categories B and below would have to share in the offsetting of the Concierge fares, which would mean that fares in Category A would be reduced and all others below that would cost more. Folks who would be paying more for the breakfast option might wish it hadn't been changed, and those who don't mind a Continental breakfast would be unhappy. I bet there are more of the latter than the former...

Then there are those of who do not use room service so could less what you can order in;)

You can never please everyone ...so why bother trying

JMO

Lyn

It's actually a 4 class ship, if you logically extend the breakfast options...

OVO Suites (Owners, Vista & Oceania) get more than Penthouse suites. For example, they get a bar setup. Penthouse Suites get more than Concierge. For example, they get a butler. Concierge cabins (category A)get more than non-concierge (category B and lower). For example, they get the hot breakfast option.

According to the logic in this thread, guests in Inside rooms should get a hot breakfast, butler and bar setup. After all, it's a high class ship, and there should be no differences in the way guests are treated...right?

LOL..why can't folks comprehend that you get what you pay for and if that means four classes so be it!;)

Don,

While what you write would make sense if there was an additional cost for the hot breakfast, really don't see any added cost to provide a hot breakfast to everyone or an added cost to provide the hot breakfast for Concierge and above.

1. No difference in food cost as everyone is entitled to a hot breakfast and the only difference is where the breakfast is served.

2. Stewards to deliver the food be it hot or cold are already staffed to serve every cabin so no cost difference with Stewards.

3. Cooks to cook the food are already staffed to provide hot food for everyone on the ship so no cost difference here.

If I have missed a cost element for providing everyone on board a hot breakfast in their cabin, am open to someone providing that information so it must be a sales ploy to sell concierge level cabins with extra no cost amenities.

Even the sales ploy doesn't sound correct as while concierge level cabins don't sell as quickly as non-concierge and suites, they do eventually sell since O mostly sells out so the question remains, why is there a food difference for room service breakfast?? Simply doesn't make sense!!

There would be incremental cost to provide hot breakfasts to all cabins. For example, there would be a requirement for additional staffing to deliver/pickup the food. Also, the most efficient way to serve is at the Terrace where the food is prepared in bulk, etc.

That said, O had defined the allocation of perks and the hot breakfast in-room is motivation to book more costly accomodation.

Not sure why this subject keeps appearing here.

There would be incremental cost to provide hot breakfasts to all cabins. For example, there would be a requirement for additional staffing to deliver/pickup the food. Also, the most efficient way to serve is at the Terrace where the food is prepared in bulk, etc.

That said, O had defined the allocation of perks and the hot breakfast in-room is motivation to book more costly accomodation.

Thanks Paul for the kind words.

Noxequifans, already covered the staffing to deliver/pickup food as there is staffing to deliver cold food to non concierge so no additional people needed. Also covered you point about motivation to book more costly cabins as most ships sail food so while it might take longer to sell the concierge cabins, they do mostly sell out so no need for the hot breakfast perk.

The subject keeps coming up because most cruise lines who have included room service provide full breakfasts and Oceania being an upscale line doesn't and it is NOT a matter of costs as some have stated.

You can get a cold breakfast in all rooms, so the staff is in place, it's just marketing. That said, I never really gave it no mind, now that I read about it so much I plan to go to terrace, MDR and order the full room service menu each morning and if in port Mickie d's just to beat the system!!! I just checked and for 1800$ I too can get eggs in my room, that's 125$ per breakfast for two, sounds like the system beat me!!!

...While what you write would make sense if there was an additional cost for the hot breakfast, really don't see any added cost to provide a hot breakfast to everyone or an added cost to provide the hot breakfast for Concierge and above.

Dave, I never said the costs would change simply as a result of a hot breakfast in every category. I was responding to Lyn's suggestion that Concierge Class be dropped, with all verandah cabins receiving the same amenities.

Because there IS additional revenue generated from Concierge Class cabins, dropping that category would eliminate that additional revenue. Unless we really want the company top lose revenue, it has to come from somewhere. The only answer would be to average out the revenue -- reducing Concierge because it would no longer offer additional amenities, and increasing the fare for every category below Concierge.

Of course there would be little additional cost for offering a hot breakfast to every category. That's not the point. The point is there has to be SOME differences in the amenities offered to provide an incentive to pay the extra fare. Historically, some of those differences included no refrigerator below Concierge, no DVD player, no hand held hair dryer and others. Also, at that time, Concierge did NOT get a hot breakfast -- that was only on the Suite menu for Penthouse and above. Over time, Oceania installed a fridge in every cabin -- and extended the hot breakfast to concierge as the "makeup" amenity. They put DVD players in every cabin -- and extended Spa Deck privileges to Concierge to make up the difference. They put hand held hair dryers in every cabin -- and installed laptops in Concierge to make up the difference. (Note, I'm not claiming these were the exact tit for tat changes, but the cumulative effect is accurate).

If they take away the exclusivity of the hot breakfast, it's going to be tougher than ever to come up with a Concierge amenity to make up the difference. Already, lots of folks say that Concierge is not worth the extra money -- don't you think they would have already added an extra amenity if they could think of one?

Keeping the hot breakfast menu exclusive to Concierge and above is NOT a cost measure, it's a revenue measure.

Hyper cafe says, "It's just marketing..." Of course it is! That's the point! That's the reason it's not going to change. Oceania is a business, and the purpose of a business is to generate enough revenue. One way they accomplish that is marketing. It's not a dirty word.

Dave, I never said the costs would change simply as a result of a hot breakfast in every category. I was responding to Lyn's suggestion that Concierge Class be dropped, with all verandah cabins receiving the same amenities.

Because there IS additional revenue generated from Concierge Class cabins, dropping that category would eliminate that additional revenue. Unless we really want the company top lose revenue, it has to come from somewhere. The only answer would be to average out the revenue -- reducing Concierge because it would no longer offer additional amenities, and increasing the fare for every category below Concierge.

Of course there would be little additional cost for offering a hot breakfast to every category. That's not the point. The point is there has to be SOME differences in the amenities offered to provide an incentive to pay the extra fare. Historically, some of those differences included no refrigerator below Concierge, no DVD player, no hand held hair dryer and others. Also, at that time, Concierge did NOT get a hot breakfast -- that was only on the Suite menu for Penthouse and above. Over time, Oceania installed a fridge in every cabin -- and extended the hot breakfast to concierge as the "makeup" amenity. They put DVD players in every cabin -- and extended Spa Deck privileges to Concierge to make up the difference. They put hand held hair dryers in every cabin -- and installed laptops in Concierge to make up the difference. (Note, I'm not claiming these were the exact tit for tat changes, but the cumulative effect is accurate).

If they take away the exclusivity of the hot breakfast, it's going to be tougher than ever to come up with a Concierge amenity to make up the difference. Already, lots of folks say that Concierge is not worth the extra money -- don't you think they would have already added an extra amenity if they could think of one?

Keeping the hot breakfast menu exclusive to Concierge and above is NOT a cost measure, it's a revenue measure.

Hyper cafe says, "It's just marketing..." Of course it is! That's the point! That's the reason it's not going to change. Oceania is a business, and the purpose of a business is to generate enough revenue. One way they accomplish that is marketing. It's not a dirty word.

Don..... you probably know how much I want to post what I really think on this thread (but will spare you:-) All I will say is that I would be embarrassed to see a thread such as this on a cruise line I was affiliated with.

Don ..before concierge class was instituted, all cabins A to G were equal ..the prices changed according to the location on the ship

In the early days of CC the perks were a bonus but as you have pointed out there is not much more they can give to make the CC a special deal anymore

So just eliminate CC & equal out the prices across the board for the A to G cabins ...

Those that want to still cruise on Oceania will do so... those that find the increase in price not to their liking will find other ways to spend their vacation $$

People always want what other people have but do not want to pay the price to get it

The powers that be have tried many ways to increase sales & they will probably continue to do so ...by Marketing tactics

JMO

Others may not agree & that is fine with me

Let's just shoot the horse & let it die

Lyn

Let's just shoot the horse & let it die

Rather than shooting the horse & letting it die, wouldn't it be more effective to shoot the white tiger? :)

When I grow up and get old, if I ever find myself arguing about getting my hot oatmeal in my cabin... I'll shoot myself.

Seriously, don't ever stop threads like this.

The absurdity is a delightful morning read. :p

Archived