Waiting to book ....

Nyrina4life

A little reading on this board would reveal there is NO MAGIC TIME. If there was, everyone would wait until that time. The airlines would figure this out, raise the fares, and move the magic time to some other time. You just have to do the research, monitor the fares, find one that suits you, buy it, and DON'T LOOK BACK.

For example, we just bought our airfares for our land vacation in Italy next June. We found fares that are cheaper than anything we have seen for 3 or 4 years (we have been to Europe a lot recently). So we bought. We will not check the airfares again. If they happen to go down, oh well, nothing we can do about it.

As CruiserBruce says, there is no magic time. Fares could go down, stay the same or go up.

I look at my options, decide what flights work and then book. I might watch prices for a few weeks before that.

This was not part of your question but often people post here after they have booked.

I recommend arriving to your destination prior to the day of the cruise. Also, if you have to change planes be sure there is a lot of time to connect and also for the return flight be sure there is more than adequate time to make the flight. Ask flight specific questions before rather than after you book so there are no surprises.

Keith

Our cruise is next June, and I am just wondering if it is wise to wait until February to book our air and hotel? Or should we be booking soon??

Are you willing and able to pay the current price? Are you willing and able to pay a higher price if you wait til Feb, gambling that the price might drop, but understanding that it might go up? The answers to those two questions will pretty much give you your answer.

Our cruise is next June, and I am just wondering if it is wise to wait until February to book our air and hotel? Or should we be booking soon??

I think a good question to ask our fellow CC's posters is; I am leaving from my airport (name) and arriving at airport (name) in June, what is the average price you have paid for this time period? If you are lucky and get a direct flight it is usually cheaper. I usually fly in May when the fares start going up. I have paid leaving from south Florida to, Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, London, Venice between $1,200 - $1,350 for these flights. I usually book nine months to a year out. Hopes this gives you some helpful information.

I just booked our flights for our June cruise (nine months out). I monitored several airlines for a few weeks and got a sense of the high and low price, noting that they tended to dip on Tuesdays and Fridays - but this of course is not an exact science. I bought our tickets on a day that the prices dipped and stopped checking prices. They will go up and down between now and June. I would say just watch for a flight that works for you, compare it with other available airlines on the same route, then monitor the price of the flight for at least a week. When you see it at a price that you like, that matches the lowest price you've seen so far, go ahead and buy your tickets - then don't look back. Go with your instincts.

I just booked our flights for our June cruise (nine months out). I monitored several airlines for a few weeks and got a sense of the high and low price, noting that they tended to dip on Tuesdays and Fridays - but this of course is not an exact science. I bought our tickets on a day that the prices dipped and stopped checking prices. They will go up and down between now and June. I would say just watch for a flight that works for you, compare it with other available airlines on the same route, then monitor the price of the flight for at least a week. When you see it at a price that you like, that matches the lowest price you've seen so far, go ahead and buy your tickets - then don't look back. Go with your instincts.

Could someone explain the difference between "booked" and "confirmed" flights ?

Doesn't the price still fluctuate until you pay and get a confirmation number?

Once you confirm are you locked in?

This is exactly the procedure that is discussed on this board regularly, by people who fly a heck of a lot. The exact procedure I followed when we booked our June flights for next year as described in post #3 above.

Unfortunately, there are these internet myths out there that there are magic dates, when you can get the absolute lowest fares, every time, for every flight. Just not true.

Could someone explain the difference between "booked" and "confirmed" flights ?

Doesn't the price still fluctuate until you pay and get a confirmation number?

Once you confirm are you locked in?

The only real difference may apply in certain purchasing situations, like thru the cruise line. For example, you contact your cruise line for flights from SFO to FCO for a cruise 9 months prior to your cruise. They tell you that flight will cost $1000. But you may not get any confirmed booking info until 3-4 weeks prior to your cruise. So you have a commitment (money down) but no confirmation of your flight until 3-4 weeks in advance.

Some airlines allow you to buy a lock on a fare for a short period of time- up to 7 days for some airlines. So this would be another way to have a flight, but no confirmation.

Probably most people just do a straight purchase, and get their confirmation from the airline within a short- minutes usually- period of time. That is the way we do it for our flights.

The only real difference may apply in certain purchasing situations, like thru the cruise line. For example, you contact your cruise line for flights from SFO to FCO for a cruise 9 months prior to your cruise. They tell you that flight will cost $1000. But you may not get any confirmed booking info until 3-4 weeks prior to your cruise. So you have a commitment (money down) but no confirmation of your flight until 3-4 weeks in advance.

Some airlines allow you to buy a lock on a fare for a short period of time- up to 7 days for some airlines. So this would be another way to have a flight, but no confirmation.

Probably most people just do a straight purchase, and get their confirmation from the airline within a short- minutes usually- period of time. That is the way we do it for our flights.

Thank You for your explanation.

I was told, even though I was booked for a specific flight, I could not reserve seats until after I had a confirmation number.

In other words, the longer I wait for final payment, the less seats to choose from.

I was told, even though I was booked for a specific flight, I could not reserve seats until after I had a confirmation number.

In other words, the longer I wait for final payment, the less seats to choose from.

This varies by airline and class of fare. Southwest doesn't assign seats at all. First Class almost always gets you a seat assignment at time of booking. European airlines don't allow (in many cases) seat assignments for domestic flights until under 24 hours of departure. It all depends on airline, domestic or international, and class of ticket.

In August I found an airfare from San Francisco-Sao Paulo via Mexico City on Aero Mexico and TAM for $474 per person which includes all taxes and fees and earns miles. I knew that I would unlikely see that fare and itinerary again so I quickly called my Father and booked it using a wholesaler. The tickets have the same restrictions as other tickets bought for more.

I found other tickets for $1,000 leaving Oakland and San Jose other flights around $500 had me spending an overnight in Rio, changing between Newark and JFK etc.

We also get a cold meal from SFO-MEX on AeroMexico and Hot meals on TAM with all drinks included. United wanted more and they don't even give free booze in Y.

We even got great seats towards the front of the plane by booking early.

For the return I was able to use 30,000 miles +$55 in Taxes for an Air Canada/United Itinerary and got a premium seat on Air Canada and United Economy Plus on the UA flights.

My Father needed to visit relatives in another country and via Vyama I found him a ticket for $1,100 on Alitalia/Air France with a one week stopover. I could not find any other tickets at this price.

Cruise Air would have been more. So essentially my ticket is only $474 as the UA Miles were a gift. I was shocked to see such a great airfare with a 13 hours stopover to tour Mexico City. I don't mind a free stopover to visit the touristic areas of the city.

Other flights were via Miami and of course JFK and EWR could have weather delays .

So if you see a fare that is a good deal book it. You can go to airvalues.com and look for good deals. They are like Expedia but offer you discounted rates.

Before you book look around at various websites to get an idea. The cheapest I saw was $930 and the most was $1100. I said to myself $930 for the distance one way is fine but the itinerary was on American carriers and I really wanted to try TAM with their Personal Audio Video Entertainment and drinks included. Afterall they are the national carrier of Brazil. I have been flying national carriers of various countries for years and love to feel the local experience once I board.

So I remembered I used Airvalues in the past and saved $700 with them could I do it this time? When I entered in the dates and got the $474 I had to see if there were any stipulations. The only thing that could have happened is that the fare would be pulled before it was booked and then my reservation would be cancelled. So I said what the heck.

A day later I was confirmed for $474 per person. I was doing a happy dance as I knew others seated next to us would be paying more.

So be persistent like I was and you can save over 1/2 of the normal fare. Just read the Terms and Conditions. If you are 100 percent on your dates then use Airvalues and used the saved money for drinks onboard your cruise.

BTW Frequent Flier miles are not that worth it to me so if I could not earn any miles I would not be upset. It was more important for me to fly on National Carriers like AeroMexico and TAM , have my own IFE on my MEX-GRU flight and have booze included than it was for me to have FF miles.

I quickly called my Father and booked it using a wholesaler. The tickets have the same restrictions as other tickets bought for more.
Sight unseen, I would be highly skeptical that the restrictions are the same. Perhaps it seems that way, but let me ask why an airline would release identical tickets, with identical restrictions, and have them be resold for less than the airline price to the public? Makes no logical sense.
United wanted more and they don't even give free booze in Y.
Free booze....the defining quality for travel today.
So if you see a fare that is a good deal book it. You can go to airvalues.com and look for good deals. They are like Expedia but offer you discounted rates.
As long as everyone knows that they are likely buying heavily restricted consolidator tickets, then let the market work.
So I remembered I used Airvalues in the past and saved $700 with them could I do it this time? When I entered in the dates and got the $474 I had to see if there were any stipulations. The only thing that could have happened is that the fare would be pulled before it was booked and then my reservation would be cancelled. So I said what the heck.
That was probably a stipulation on behalf of AV. However, if you are saying that is the only stipulation/restriction on the ticket, I would have to say that you never actually got to see the fare rules for what you were buying.
So be persistent like I was and you can save over 1/2 of the normal fare. Just read the Terms and Conditions. If you are 100 percent on your dates then use Airvalues and used the saved money for drinks onboard your cruise.
There is more to this than "100 percent on your dates", but you don't seem to consider it. Nor even acknowledge the existence of conso ticket restrictions.
BTW Frequent Flier miles are not that worth it to me so if I could not earn any miles I would not be upset. It was more important for me to fly on National Carriers like AeroMexico and TAM , have my own IFE on my MEX-GRU flight and have booze included than it was for me to have FF miles.
At a two cent per mile metric, the flight from SFO to GRU via MEX is ~6500 miles, with a FF value of $130. Just a small calculation for you to consider, since price is so important. As for "national carriers", that seems to harken back to the days of state-run airlines and bi-lateral air agreements on fares/service. You can take your own IFE anywhere, and I won't comment on those drinks that are so important to you.

As regular readers know, I'm a big proponent of the free market. Travelers can choose whatever they want and it's OK with me. However, I want them to have as complete an information set as possible, and happy talk about one side of the consolidator ticket market doesn't serve that need.

For those who prize "low price" above all else, with little regard for downsides -- go ahead and buy consolidator tickets to your cruise. For those who take a more balanced approach, know that there is more to an airline ticket than just the price.

FlyerTalker, I am sure your excellent, well thought out and explained post will get flamed severely. You are consistently trying to inject commonsense and logic into discussions, and that is just not tolerated. ;);):D:D

Price is the ONLY consideration!!!

IF travelplus read all the T & C's with AirValues, how did travelplus miss this part?

"Most discount fares involve restrictions. A change in carrier(s), flight(s), time(s), or routing(s) could result in a carrier demanding a full fare. Obtain agency or airline assistance before making changes. "

Agency assistance is FIFTY BUCKS. Booking online is $20.00. There were a whole lot of little fees thrown in all over. Their change fees started at $350.00.

Talk about a consolidator agency selling consolidator tickets!!! They even tell you that your ticket is NO GOOD on another carrier, another routing or even another flight time.

I would have to think long and hard before using this agency even if I was saving a chunk of change.

As Flyertalker posted, there is more to an airline ticket than just the price.

If your tickets are a cruise air booking, then YES-you DO NOT have a ticket until you make final payment. And NO, you cannot choose seats until you have a ticket. So yes, the longer you wait to pay for your tickets/cruise, fewer and fewer seats will be available to choose from.

And please be aware, you most likely DO NOT have the same type of ticket you would have purchased DIRECTLY from the airline. AND even though you picked a SPECIFIC flight, you MAY NOT get that flight. The cruise line (if these are cruise air tickets) only has a finite number of tickets. IF other people have booked and PAID for their tickets on YOUR flight, the tickets MAY be gone by the time you pay for your tickets. Just an FYI that a lot of people DO NOT realize.

There is a thread on here where the EXACT thing happened to someone-thought they had tickets on XXX flight. When it was all said and done, with schedule changes and the cruise line booking, they are on far different tickets than what they started out with.

To All:

I have been studying all about the airfares and rule regulations. Your assumptions is wrong 150 percent. First of all we are booked in N Class on AeroMexico and L Class on TAM.

I hate that you think I did not read the Terms and Conditions before booking. The $50 fee is only for domestic reservations with excessive consulting and the $20 fee is for booking online.

You know very well that you are wrong to make assumptions. I am taking a course in Travel and Tourism and have known a lot about fare rules and confirming tickets before my flight.

Have you ever flown with me? I am a seasoned traveler and have used Air Values in the past without any problems. Why are you making such assumptions and nit picking my advice.

Look there are people out there who want to save money on their airfare for a cruise and without a consolidator the cruise would not be within their budget.

You should take courses in Travel and Tourism before you open your mouth. I read the fare rules online and see the mileage accrual rules on the airline's websites. You act as if I'm a dumb traveler.

How many cruises have you taken?

Here is a scenario you book a flight directly with the airline and they see no reservation for you. What would you do? I bet you would do exactly what I would do -see whats going on and to work out a solution and stand my ground.

I welcome your response and I don't mean to be arrogant towards you I'm trying to show that I have brains when it comes to travel. I have planned and booked a 3 month trip to Europe for my Parents Brother and I when I was 13 years old. I was an early adopter of online bookings and used Easy Sabre when I was 12.

And yes Flyertalker I'm fending for myself and you are getting it as CruiseBrucer said. And it's not tolerated one ioda:D

BTW....that's "iota".

As for the number of cruises taken....that's a bit over fifty at this point in my life.

I would be happy to discuss the specifics of your situation beyond my initial detailed response. However, I have not found any new information in your last post on the specifics of the issues - thus, nothing new to post here.

As mentioned, IF someone knows the risks, then I am all in favor of market-based behavior and solutions.

And, as for your question.....since I would always have the ticket number, we would then search by ticket number, not locator. Moving on from there, we would pull up the confirming email, which is on my phone, and have a three-way conversation between the issuing airline, the agent in front of me and myself. Finally, I would buy a new ticket on the spot and resolve the issue with my credit card company after returning home.

Next!!

To All:

I have been studying all about the airfares and rule regulations. Your assumptions is wrong 150 percent. First of all we are booked in N Class on AeroMexico and L Class on TAM.

There is a whole lot more to the fare rules than just N or L. Those are only the fare bucket designators. The letters and number AFTER the N or L denote the RULES the tickets are issued under. So if you only see N or L or H or Q or O, you truly have NO IDEA what the rules of the tickets are.

I hate that you think I did not read the Terms and Conditions before booking. The $50 fee is only for domestic reservations with excessive consulting and the $20 fee is for booking online.

The $50 fee was mentioned two or three places. Yes for excess consulting. But AGAIN for changing tickets and again for CANCELLATION. Better read ALL the small print again because it was scattered out in two or three places, including in the actual company T & C's and FAQ's.

You know very well that you are wrong to make assumptions. I am taking a course in Travel and Tourism and have known a lot about fare rules and confirming tickets before my flight.

I'm trying very hard not to laugh because you are very, very young.

Here is a real life experience involving a couple of people I have working for me with MBA's in Transportation and Logistics. That surely is more education than a course in Travel and Tourism. All the "book learning" in the world doesn't go very far in the real world of transportation with it's 1000's of variables. This story is also related in the cruise air sticky I wrote.

"You are more than welcome. Glad my 30 years of knowledge in global logistics is helpful to more than me (it sure seems that way in my offices-my two MBA's are ALWAYS trying to impart knowledge they learned in books. They find out VERY rapidly that most of it doesn't work in a real time transportation environment).

As an aside-my two MBA's spent a long time making up matrix to load our trailers more efficiently. We haul LTL (less than truckload) so one truck may pick up 10 pallets of xxx product, but that product needs to be distributed to Los Angeles, San Francisco and Portland. We would split up the product on Friday nights at our warehouse in the Bronx into 3 trucks-Southern California, Northern California and the Northwest.

Using the matrix (I actually allowed them to try it for two Fridays), the first Friday night, we had either too few trucks or or the wrong trucks to haul the product. Trucks were parked all over, drivers were FURIOUS. So I put the two of them on a plane to NYC to oversee their project.

They incurred the wrath of the drivers and warehouse guys. They kept pointing to their carefully diagrammed load matrix. It just wasn't working. After a very frustrating night (I was home fielding phone calls from drivers), they finally decided that maybe 30 years of "been there, done that" and being flexible is worth at least as much as MBA "book learning". We all get a good laugh when they come up with another MBA idea.

Moving people on planes is no different than freight. In fact, people are easier-they have less paperwork."

Again, "book learning" is NO substitute for REAL WORLD, REAL TIME experience.

Have you ever flown with me? I am a seasoned traveler and have used Air Values in the past without any problems. Why are you making such assumptions and nit picking my advice.

Maybe because a lot of your assumptions are just plain WRONG. Our company books well over 500 airline tickets for our customers going to trade shows worldwide every year (we also move their products for the trade shows and set up their booths) and I personally have been flying well over 100,000 miles per year for business. We probably arrange air travel for more people than most "regular", brick and mortar type travel agencies.

Look there are people out there who want to save money on their airfare for a cruise and without a consolidator the cruise would not be within their budget.

There generally ARE ways to get to a cruise at a decent price WITHOUT using a consolidator. But you REFUSE to acknowledge even that possibility. And when your consolidator tickets are involved in an irrops situation, then what do you do? Very often, people miss their cruises DUE TO THE UNDERLYING FARE RULES of those consolidator tickets which you REFUSE to acknowledge can be very, very different from PUBLISHED fare rules.

You should take courses in Travel and Tourism before you open your mouth. I read the fare rules online and see the mileage accrual rules on the airline's websites. You act as if I'm a dumb traveler.

How many cruises have you taken?

This is a laughable statement. But I think the frequent posters will give you a pass because you are very, very young. I know I am old enough to be your grandmother and have been in the international logistics business moving people and freight via air, truck, rail and ship for 35 years (our company's 35th anniversary this December). Better keep going to school because obviously, your course is not teaching you much about the REAL world or the "behind the scenes" stuff.

As a young person, you are STARTING on the right track to learn the UNDERLYING parts of airline tickets. But you have a long way to go to learn all the fine points of airline tickets. So please don't steer people to Airvalues.com, Vayama, Mobissimo, Cheap Tickets, Best Fares, etc. etc. UNTIL you know what you are speaking about. You are doing a disservice to a lot of people.

When you see L7 Y3 Y2 you know there are x amount of tickets in that fare bucket. You can then pull up the advance purchase information, Maximum Qualifying Miles and when the ticket must be ticket by.

An Example would be for Fare Code rules would be telling the customer you have to buy the ticket no later than 1 day after ticketing or 30 days before the ticket whichever comes first. Then it would display that you must travel over a Saturday and the earliest return is Sunday of the coming week.

Then the fare rules would say how much a change is and that is transferable or non-transferable. Who the Operating Carrier is and if miles can be accured etc.

Of course you must have the ticketing# on the PNR as well with a status of H2 meaning you are Holding Confirmed 2 seats on flight 334 in L Class(Excursion Economy)

The fare basis code is how agents exchange tickets as they look for flights booked in the same fare basis codes. If there is none available you have to upgrade your ticket plus the change fee.

Of course I read the Terms and Conditions of the ticket. I would not buy a ticket that we wouldn't use and of course we have travel insurance. In fact Airvalues has saved me money in the past and using a consolidator is fine so as long as you know what your getting into.

So Flyertalker would you steer people away from Charter Flights? Would you steer people away from a Broadway Ticket Wholesaler?

In my opinion TAM is not a bad airline as they have more amenities such as AVOD(Audio Video On Demand) Amenity kits , hot meal in Coach with alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.

Plus I got good recommendations from my Cousin who is a Brasilero from Belo Horozonte who has flown with TAM and said its a great airline.

I also check the schedule at leaving SFO at 1:00AM vs 6:00 PM is better so you can have a leisurely dinner and be at the airport at 9:30PM and then you arrive Mexico City at 7:10AM And have a day to explore the city followed by the 7:50PM TAM flight arriving at 7:10AM on Sunday to avoid the heavy traffic of Sao Paulo.

AirValues even says for you to consult with the airlines if there is an issue with your ticket in the T&C it said the money is transfered to the airline so if there is a problem TAM can assist you as it says"If you see a HK on your ticket and the airline cannot see your reservation or the flight is oversold that they must accommodate you.

I apologize for offending you FlyerTalker and I respect your knowledge and MBA Degree. Of course we can learn from our elders.

But I wanted to offer an option to the OP. BTW My Father booked on Vyama a flight and we found a good price and of course we are aware the ticket is non-refundable etc.

When you see L7 Y3 Y2 you know there are x amount of tickets in that fare bucket. You can then pull up the advance purchase information, Maximum Qualifying Miles and when the ticket must be ticket by.

An Example would be for Fare Code rules would be telling the customer you have to buy the ticket no later than 1 day after ticketing or 30 days before the ticket whichever comes first. Then it would display that you must travel over a Saturday and the earliest return is Sunday of the coming week.

Then the fare rules would say how much a change is and that is transferable or non-transferable. Who the Operating Carrier is and if miles can be accured etc.

You are getting closer but still not there yet. And transferable or non-transferable does NOT mean ENDORSABLE. HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

The fare basis code is how agents exchange tickets as they look for flights booked in the same fare basis codes. If there is none available you have to upgrade your ticket plus the change fee.

THIS is the big CATCH 22 which you are NOT understanding. The fare code RULES for consolidator tickets can be ANYTHING the airline and cruise line, travel agent, consolidator or whatever you want to call the ACTUAL purchaser of the ticket agree to. These tickets are usually sold a year or more in advance of the flight, on contract, in bulk. They are "sitting on a shelf" waiting for a name to be attached to the ticket. It works like this-Consolidator says I need 50 tickets from JFK to Barcelona on June 10. Airline says-OK, we will sell you 50 tickets at $250 each. BUT these are the rules-NO REROUTING, NON ENDORSABLE. Some even include "use it or loose it provisions" which is agreed to between airline and contract purchaser, LONG before you can even buy a ticket from one of these agencies.

What does use it or loose it mean? Flight XXX leaves at 10PM from JFK. But the airline changes the flight to 8PM. Your inbound flight to JFK doesn't arrive until 7:45PM. Under normal circumstances, 2 hours, 15 minutes is more than enough time to change planes at JFK providing it is just a simple terminal to terminal change. BUT 15 minutes DOES NOT allow you even enough time to get on the train if the flight is leaving at 8PM. Flight XXX leaves promptly at 8PM. You now just experienced the "use it or loose it" provision and will be buying a walk up ticket at a VERY high price on another airline unless out of sheer good will, the airline takes pity on you.

The contract between the airline and consolidator can be just about anything they agree to. The airline does not specify what amount the ticket can be sold by the consolidator to THEIR customer. It truly is what the market will bear. You are NO LONGER the customer of the airline. You are the customer of the consolidator. And MUST live within the rules of the generally very heavily restricted ticket ticket.

Very often, the tickets are coded in a way that puts you at the very bottom of the barrel for re-accommodation. This very often means you can ONLY fly the originating airline (the one who wrote/sold the ticket) on a space available basis on EXACTLY the same routing as the original ticket. May be a day or two before there is space available on the same routing on the same airline.

You very, very rarely will be "endorsed" to another carrier with a consolidator ticket. Why???-the airlines work on a tit for tat system. If your PUBLISHED fare ticket costs $500, it is pretty easy for Delta to find out the price and to put you on an AA flight and $500 owed to AA goes in the ledger to be settled when they settle up endorsable tickets. BUT YOUR CONSOLIDATOR ticket has NO PRICE attached to it. Could have been $150 or $650 for the same ticket as my Delta/AA example. SO there is NO WAY to settle the ledger. IF you are able to get an airline to endorse a non endorsable ticket, the endorsing carrier MUST PAY the flying carrier IN CASH. And believe me, there are VERY FEW AIRLINES that are going to pay another airline in CASH to carry one of the cheapest passengers on the flight.

And one other thing you forgot to look at. A LOT of these consolidator tickets are booked in vacation package/cruise only classes. Don't take the vacation package or the cruise, your air ticket is NO GOOD. You CANNOT use it for a land trip, even to the same exact place on the same day at the same time. There have been a few people who have been caught up in this very scenario with cruise air tickets. They PAID via Choice Air for their airline tickets (because they were CHEAPER). Then the cruise was cancelled or substantially changed in itinerary and consequently, there was NO CRUISE. There was also NO AIRLINE ticket at the same price that could have been used to the same location for a land vacation. HAD to take the cruise or vacation package to get the original air ticket price.

Of course I read the Terms and Conditions of the ticket. I would not buy a ticket that we wouldn't use and of course we have travel insurance. In fact Airvalues has saved me money in the past and using a consolidator is fine so as long as you know what your getting into.

You must have missed some of them because I pointed out THREE instances found in THREE DIFFERENT places on the Airvalues website stating there was a $50.00 FEE for changing flights, cancellation or excess consulting on a domestic ticket.

In my opinion TAM is not a bad airline as they have more amenities such as AVOD(Audio Video On Demand) Amenity kits , hot meal in Coach with alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.

Plus I got good recommendations from my Cousin who is a Brasilero from Belo Horozonte who has flown with TAM and said its a great airline.

I also check the schedule at leaving SFO at 1:00AM vs 6:00 PM is better so you can have a leisurely dinner and be at the airport at 9:30PM and then you arrive Mexico City at 7:10AM And have a day to explore the city followed by the 7:50PM TAM flight arriving at 7:10AM on Sunday to avoid the heavy traffic of Sao Paulo.

None of us are criticizing your choice of airline. Only your method of ticketing which is NOT the be all, end all for a lot of people when they only purchase on price. Can totally WRECK a vacation and leave someone STUCK someplace they really don't want to be.

AirValues even says for you to consult with the airlines if there is an issue with your ticket in the T&C it said the money is transfered to the airline so if there is a problem TAM can assist you as it says"If you see a HK on your ticket and the airline cannot see your reservation or the flight is oversold that they must accommodate you.

Think you better read the FARE RULES of YOUR PARTICULAR ticket. Not some poppy cock BS published on a website. Can you do that? I mean the 2-3 pages NORMALLY associated with the ENTIRE fare rules published by an airline or available on ITA or other venues. If you can't, then you have no idea what your rights, perks or restrictions are for the tickets you purchased.

But I wanted to offer an option to the OP. BTW My Father booked on Vyama a flight and we found a good price and of course we are aware the ticket is non-refundable etc.

AND HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! GOOD PRICE AND you are aware the ticket is non-refundable??? About 90% of tickets purchased are non refundable. What does that have to do with getting to your final destination if there is a glitch in your travel plans and you mis-connect or miss the flight? Not a darn thing.

Moving people on planes is no different than freight. In fact, people are easier-they have less paperwork."

Remember the old acronym for passengers - SLF. Self Loading Freight.

So Flyertalker would you steer people away from Charter Flights? Would you steer people away from a Broadway Ticket Wholesaler?
The answer is NO and NO. However, before making any recommendation, I would be sure that the purchaser had as full and complete a knowledge of just what they were buying BEFORE they made a decision.

One piece of that knowledge is that all airline tickets are not created equal. And that price is not the be-all and end-all in evaluating value.

I am about as much of a free-market capitalist as you might find here on CC. But an integral part of that is information. Honest and complete info.

If someone wants to freely go and buy charter tickets....be my guest. Wanna buy a ticket on Allegiant to make a cruise.....go ahead. Buy from 1800-Igottadeal4youdontaskhow.....who am I to interfere. But do that with both eyes open and a knowledge of both the upside and downside risks.

Archived