Dinner .... and then dessert?

CruiseOnBoard

Can one dine at one restaurant (specialty or the GDR), but then go to the Terrace Cafe just for dessert and coffee (assuming you could get there prior to their official closing... at 9:30pm I presume?) Would love to consider having a final sweet and coffee under the stars....

Yes you may, the room is not closed up and the servers won't chase you out.

Only the buffet ends.

Oceania-Riviera-Terrace-Cafe.jpg

My goodness, JimandStan - you should be getting commissions from Oceania :)

Your descriptions and your photos (GREAT photos!!) are luring us in, big time...!

We just booked on the Regatta (Alaska, next summer), and as we speak (er, write), our Travel Agent should be reserving for the Dec 2014 - Jan 2015 holiday in the Caribbean on the Riviera.

Of course, now maybe we should go to Anguilla instead........ :confused:

Exactly WHERE was that other photo taken??

So many choices...

Thank you so much for all of the information you are sharing, and for some amazing photos.

We hope to meet you sometime ;-)

GeezerCouple

Easy now, loose talk like that is likely to turn our heads, but THANK YOU!

If you're talking about the Caribbean versus Polynesia Thread, we tried to insert two photo's but apparently only one of them "took" (glitches in our Califiornia based photo sharing Site)

115708.jpg This is the Viceroy in Anguilla http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/anguilla

115302.jpg This is Jade Mountain in St. Lucia http://www.jademountain.com/

Destination weddings are quickly becoming de rigueur in our rapidly aging social set, so we haven't been cruising as much as we would prefer, but it would be GREAT to sail with you!

The Riviera is absolutely gorgeous-

081450.jpg...and the food ain't bad either

152003.jpg152804.jpg

Here's hoping that all of us have the opportunity to tear a pheasant together, very very soon!

Can you show up at 8:55 P.M. & then linger for dessert?

and to amplify on what JimandStan said...most times, the waiters come around and tell you that they are closing the buffet if you want to get anything last minute before they take everything down.

It's not like on NCL where they lower the curtain at closing time. (OK, I exaggerate)

And yes,,,you can sit and linger and enjoy....so enjoy

and to amplify on what JimandStan said...most times, the waiters come around and tell you that they are closing the buffet if you want to get anything last minute before they take everything down.

It's not like on NCL where they lower the curtain at closing time. (OK, I exaggerate)

And yes,,,you can sit and linger and enjoy....so enjoy

No it's not like NCL at all thank goodness..:D

Actually, the staff, could almost tell that we were having our deserts in Terrace instead of the MDR, and were very gracious.

We usually went around 8:30, and once we sat down, they always appeared, asking if we wanted decaf, or another beverage.

They NEVER seemed to be giving us the "rush" to leave. We never felt like we were in the way. We sometimes stayed later, and lingered, enjoyed our surroundings with coffee, even though food had stopped being served.

They NEVER seemed to be giving us the "rush" to leave. We never felt like we were in the way. We sometimes stayed later, and lingered, enjoyed our surroundings with coffee, even though food had stopped being served.

I am not sure it's a very good idea to linger too much past the closing time.

Obviously some of the staff has to stay around as long as you are there to clean up after you and set up the table for breakfast. If they would otherwise be "off duty" and relaxing/dining/sleeping in their quarters, then it would be very inconsiderate of you to do so. If they have other duties afterwards, then it obviously would not matter.

You may want to ask which is the case next time you decide to "linger" :)

We have gone to early dinner & sometimes are too full for dessert so just go for a walk & end up at The Terrace later & have dessert & coffee

Sometimes we grab a plate of cheese & crackers for a late night snack in the cabin

I have to agree with Paul

They will never rush you or ask you to leave but they cannot leave until everyone is gone & the room is set for breakfast

They may get very little time off between closing/cleaning up /getting up for the breakfast crowd

Lyn

What if you actually had dinner at the terrace cafe, starting a bit late - say... 8:30, and weren't anywhere near ready for dessert and coffee, when they start closing out the buffet? Do you have to pre-order, and have dessert and coffee sit and get cold (or hot - if it is an ice cream creation) before you were ready for it?

I agree, we all should be considerate of the servers who must stay and wait until all guests are gone, but if you had a long port day, you might not make it to dinner until fairly late, and would still rather dine out then grab a room service meal. Any comments?

I am not sure it's a very good idea to linger too much past the closing time.

Obviously some of the staff has to stay around as long as you are there to clean up after you and set up the table for breakfast. If they would otherwise be "off duty" and relaxing/dining/sleeping in their quarters, then it would be very inconsiderate of you to do so. If they have other duties afterwards, then it obviously would not matter.

You may want to ask which is the case next time you decide to "linger" :)

When I say we arrived around 8:30 and "lingered" over our coffee and desert, I can assure you we don't do it for that long... 15, 20 minutes. Considering we are early risers, (up around 5 am) its HARD to stay up past 9 !!

When I say we arrived around 8:30 and "lingered" over our coffee and desert, I can assure you we don't do it for that long... 15, 20 minutes. Considering we are early risers, (up around 5 am) its HARD to stay up past 9 !!

I think it was pretty clear that "lingering" meant 15-20 minutes, maybe a half hour...not an hour or two.

The few times we "lingered" I didn't sense any sort of rushing us out and I didn't sense that we were holding anyone up from completing their duties.

I am an early riser too - a little before you :). If we cruise together sometime we can split the difference and have morning coffee at 4:30!!

I think it was pretty clear that "lingering" meant 15-20 minutes, maybe a half hour...not an hour or two.

The few times we "lingered" I didn't sense any sort of rushing us out and I didn't sense that we were holding anyone up from completing their duties.

I am an early riser too - a little before you :). If we cruise together sometime we can split the difference and have morning coffee at 4:30!!

6.Martinis.jpg14.grandbar.jpg

That's the reason....er.....one of the reasons why we linger in Martini's after dinner-

Attendance is encouraged until the wee hours ! :D

15.MartinisArtwork.jpg080255.jpg

That's the reason....er.....one of the reasons why we linger in Martini's after dinner-

Attendance is encouraged until the wee hours ! :D

Oh boy is it! I was so off scheduled on our last Marina cruise that I stayed up till past midnight a few nights. What a fun late night crowd. I think I was proposed to no less than 2 times. :) What a trip!

Also, this is where you want to be for daily happy hour (1/2 price drinks EXCEPT, ironically Martinis) - it's a wonderful place to regroup with friends you made on shorex's etc.

But, neither are the prices. :D

You're spending a lot more "just to linger" for a piece of cake than you would on NCL!

If you need us to post

all the differences between the two you probably should save your money and stay on NCL. Our first two cruises were on them many years ago then came Renaissance and finally and hopefully forever Oceania! Hard to go from Gold back to Tin...

I have to agree with Paul

They will never rush you or ask you to leave but they cannot leave until everyone is gone & the room is set for breakfast

They may get very little time off between closing/cleaning up /getting up for the breakfast crowd

Lyn

Agreed Lyn. I think we have to consider the poor staff, they work so hard.

But, neither are the prices. :D

You're spending a lot more "just to linger" for a piece of cake than you would on NCL!

Don't think NCL and Oceania are remotely comparable.

I would not consider 15-20 lingering over dessert ;)

Unless you normally hoover your food that is

Gosh it may take me that long just to decide which one(s) to have :D

I have seen people spend 45 min to 1 hr chatting over dessert ..to me that is lingering.... jmo

Lyn

Don't think NCL and Oceania are remotely comparable.

I didn't compare, and I wouldn't compare. But I didn't insult. And I won't (although my fingers are aching to type).

Everyone has their "financial priorities".

I was only looking at this forum because there was an Oceania ship (Regatta) docked next to ours (in Halifax, I think) and I was wondering about the line and if they sailed out of NYC (because I don't like flying).

BTW...the desserts on the NCL Gem were absolutely outrageous and out of this world. They're available 24 hours a day and unlimited lingering is allowed.

Happy Sailings!

Archived