Princess Cays vs. Half Moon Cay

quilter49

We have been on 12 Princess cruises and love the private island day. I have heard rave reviews for HMC. Are they compareable? Just wondering if I should switch cruise lines to experience it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
HMC is MUCH better IMHO. The sand is like walking on baby powder, tons of loungers both in the shade or sun. I'd go back to HMC in a heartbeat; Princess Cays, I'd stay on the ship. I'd booked a cabana and the food and service was amazing so I can't compare the buffet or general facilities. Loved, loved, loved HMC.

ImageUploadedByForums1381011732.527859.jpg.cc85a584b5f77064066c8b26c4954a45.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1381011751.608613.jpg.f28e10b9e2210e3444040c0854903251.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1381011766.025262.jpg.c7281db8585a7ee8776bf902b5d277b4.jpg

I have done both - and while we are not true beach people - HMC is beautiful. There are beautiful walks you can do - beautiful beaches - and of course the little church:D

It's a very nice spot - and voted the best island for a reason.

Have been to NCL's, Princess and HMC if that helps at all.

We just got back from a cruise that included a stop at HMC and let me tell you we LOVED that island. The water was so clear it was like a swimming pool, soft powdery sand and wonderful swimming. Nice long beach to walk down. The buffet was very good - burgers were meaty, lots of salads, fruit and simple desserts. They had a horseback riding excursion I wish I'd done. Nobody wanted to leave at the end of the day. The last tenders at 4:45 were packed.

We have been to Princess Cay several times and don't bother getting off the ship any more. The beach has lost a lot of sand, so it's very rocky trying to get in to swim. Not really much beach to walk on. We've gone to the buffet at 1:00 and they were already out of much of the food. They closed up the buffet and bars at 1:30 which also meant they closed up all beverages including water and tea. We went back 30 minutes before the last tender at 3:30 and the island was already virtually deserted.

We've been to lots of beaches, heck, we live at the beach and HMC is probably our all time favorite.

Be careful booking a cruise just for the private island, though. Since they tender they can only get to the islands when the weather is calm. We missed the NCL island once because of choppy water.

Edited by more cruises

The beach at HMC is amazing, and much better than PC.

Saying that, the look of the land at PC is much prettier than HMC. HMC has few/no palm trees, they've built an ugly ship-looking bar right on the beach, and while PC is very open to the water, HMC has a lot of paths through sea grapes, cutting off the view to the water in many places while you're enjoying the BBQ. Also, there is a bit of a hill to up from the beach to the paths. PC is much more level and prettier, IMO.

However, it's really all about the beach, and HMC's can't be beat.

We have been to Princess Cays twice and HMC 3 times, and with out a doubt HMC is far superior. The beach is one of the nicest anywhere - soft white sand, shallow, clear calm water with a sandy bottom -just heavenly.

HMC is MUCH better IMHO. The sand is like walking on baby powder, tons of loungers both in the shade or sun. I'd go back to HMC in a heartbeat; Princess Cays, I'd stay on the ship. I'd booked a cabana and the food and service was amazing so I can't compare the buffet or general facilities. Loved, loved, loved HMC.

[ATTACH]288802[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]288804[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]288805[/ATTACH]

Hi Pam am bahama mama I tried adding you as my face book friend but I can't find you. How can I find you on facebook? Am from the Bahamas and I love half moon cay also.

Hi Pam am bahama mama I tried adding you as my face book friend but I can't find you. How can I find you on facebook? Am from the Bahamas and I love half moon cay also.
Sorry. I have everything secured/blocked since I'm leaving in minutes to fly to Venice for the Royal. Please check back at the end of the month.

Saying that, the look of the land at PC is much prettier than HMC. HMC has few/no palm trees, they've built an ugly ship-looking bar right on the beach, and while PC is very open to the water, HMC has a lot of paths through sea grapes, cutting off the view to the water in many places while you're enjoying the BBQ. Also, there is a bit of a hill to up from the beach to the paths. PC is much more level and prettier, IMO.

HI J & G! Sorry you won't be on the Eurodam with us...the prices dropped again and we treated ourselves to a verandah. Looking forward to HMC...it has been years since we have been there but I remember thinking it was pure paradise!!

We've been to both several times, and I believe Pescado's description of the difference is perfect -- much more complete than the CCers who simply write in that HMC is better. I would write my own comparison of the two islands, but frankly I could not add anything to what Pescado has already written.

• 4 years later...

The better place for your research would be the Private Islands board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

The answer to Reikiontherun's question is you turn right, away from the village and main beach.

The snorkeling is far from great on HMC, compared to other ares in the Caribbean, but the better snorkeling to on the reef area away from the main beach.

We have been on 12 Princess cruises and love the private island day. I have heard rave reviews for HMC. Are they compareable? Just wondering if I should switch cruise lines to experience it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We have stopped getting off the ship at Princess Cays and find it more enjoyable to stay aboard. The sand isn't that good, the food isn't that great and it gets very crowded.

Reikiontherun, I think you will love HMC. But I don't think it is the best place for snorkeling right off the beach. The water is so clear and the bottom pure white sand, and I don't know if you will see lots of fish. There might be excursions you can do that will take you out farther to snorkel. I know there is a glass bottom boat tour you can do. Whatever you do, enjoy your time on HMC.

It's our favourite beach.

Reikiontherun, I think you will love HMC. But I don't think it is the best place for snorkeling right off the beach. The water is so clear and the bottom pure white sand, and I don't know if you will see lots of fish. There might be excursions you can do that will take you out farther to snorkel. I know there is a glass bottom boat tour you can do. Whatever you do, enjoy your time on HMC.

It's our favourite beach.

Thanks. I know it will be beautiful. Little bummed because we were supposed to go to Princess and I was just informed about the change in itinerary. I know the snorkeling is better there, but I think they have a kid's area at HMC, so they will like that.

Yes, there is a great kids area on HMC. And the water is shallow for a long way out, and it is usually very calm, so also great for kids. Having been to both Princess Cays and HMC, I would say your itinerary change is definitely an improvement.

Another thing I like about HMC is they have large island based tenders, so the ships don't have to use their own tenders. The island tenders are big and hold lots of people.