Half Moon Cay Question?

travelnap

I need some information on how crowded Half Moon Cay gets when more than one ship is there on the same day. I am currently booked on the Noordam in mid November and in checking the other ships in port for the whole trip I noticed that the Nieuw Amsterdam is also at Half Moon Cay the same day we are. Both are larger HAL ships so I was wondering how crowded it will be on shore that day.

I would appreciate any input from some of the more experienced HAL Cruisers that have been to HMC with multiple ships. Thank you.

"Crowded" is a perception. So some people refuse to go ashore when there are two ships. Others, like ourselves, still believe HMC is a wonderful piece of paradise, and will definitely go ashore.

Yes, there will definitely be more people. But you will find beach space, water space, loungers, food, everything else.

There have been many threads on this, and it is discussed on the Private Islands board as well.

We have been to HMC a few times when 2 ships were there.

When it was 2 of the "S" class ships -- it was not bad.

But one time we were there -- Noordam and Westerdam and did go ashore. It was crowded. The lines for the BBQ were super long.

Now when we are there with 2 ships -- we stay on our ship.

We were there with the Westerdam. Although there were definitely more people, it wasn't that bad. It's still a pretty spot. Unless we have something special (like the Oasis) we don't do the bbq so I can't comment on the line there but in all honesty, it looked like there was still room on the beach for people.

We don't usually stay all that long - but it looked like everyone was having a good time to us.

Everyone's perception is different. I'm not keen on crowds but we managed quite well. I'd give it a shot. You can easily get back on the ship early if you don't care for it:D

We've been to HMC a couple of times with two ships.

More people on the beach so you have to walk a little further but plenty of room for everyone.

Bigger problem is if there are winds. We almost didn't stop as we arrived after the first HAL ship which had the closer tender position. Took a while for the Captain to decide.

Most of the people stay on or near the beach. The most far from the beach they'll go is near the BBQ at noon. But, there's a lot to discover at HMC. You can't get lost, so just follow your nose and start walking. I ended up at a nice lake where not a single person was anywhere near me. I couldn't even hear anything but the sounds of nature. Just wonderful!

You might want to go early in the day before it gets crowded and go to the bbq when it opens to avoid the lines. If you've never been there, you really should go and try it. You can always head back to the ship any time you want and have lunch in the Lido if you're not happy over there.

We love HMC and have been there a number of times with two ships in.

Of course, it is more crowded with two ships but it is manageable. There are loads of loungers on the beach and if you move away from the closet part of the beach, you'll find a spot that suits you.

If the weather is beautiful, the water is at its crystal clear incredible blue, if the fish swim around your ankles in water not even knee deep..... how can you not enjoy it? :)

I need some information on how crowded Half Moon Cay gets when more than one ship is there on the same day. I am currently booked on the Noordam in mid November and in checking the other ships in port for the whole trip I noticed that the Nieuw Amsterdam is also at Half Moon Cay the same day we are. Both are larger HAL ships so I was wondering how crowded it will be on shore that day.

I would appreciate any input from some of the more experienced HAL Cruisers that have been to HMC with multiple ships. Thank you.

We always book a clamshell on the HAL excursions site. That guarantees us two chairs and shade. We try to be on the first tender so we can choose our preferred spot on the beach. I love HMC and would never stay on the ship!

Enjoy!

We always book a clamshell on the HAL excursions site. That guarantees us two chairs and shade. We try to be on the first tender so we can choose our preferred spot on the beach. I love HMC and would never stay on the ship!

Enjoy!

How successful were you getting on the first tender with 2 big ships docked ? I heard that the only way to exit the ship quickly by either booking a cabana or shorex. Or I believe mariners and suite people are also a priority.

The largest ship usually uses island's tenders and the smaller ship uses ship's tenders. The island's tenders carry many more people than the ships tenders thus more get ashore faster though it does take time to load everyone on and off.

If I recall correctly, two are named Henry Hudson and Anne Bonnie..... :)

Thank you all for your input. I do plan on going ashore if weather permits and exploring the island. I am not a big beach person as I am one of those people that can't sit still that long unless I have a book in my hand. I will probably just walk the beach or walk around the island. I do usually go early and wander around quite a bit before heading back to the ship. Thanks again for your thoughts. Neil

We were on HMC when there were 2 ships there. We love to walk so we walked along the beach a ways and then relaxed in the shade in a couple of lounge chairs. Very few folks around. If we hadn't seen both anchored ships we never would have guessed there were two ships here. I think it's mostly crowded near the tender dock.

How successful were you getting on the first tender with 2 big ships docked ? I heard that the only way to exit the ship quickly by either booking a cabana or shorex. Or I believe mariners and suite people are also a priority.

We've booked a cabana several times at HMC and never noticed or received priority tendering. We are always among the first to leave the ship. It could be that we were just so excited to be back to this wonderful island that we didn't notice a priority tendering though;). At least once, there was another ship there with us and it wasn't at all crowded as we prefer the cabanas from 10 (green) up.

Rachel

IMO, if this is your first time calling at HMC and it is a beautiful day, you cheat yourself by not at least going ashore and giving it a look see. Go put your feet in that soft sand, wet your feet in the sparkling clean, Listerine Color Blue water and take a walk around. If it doesn't call out to you, get the next tender back to the ship but at least go look.

The largest ship usually uses island's tenders and the smaller ship uses ship's tenders. The island's tenders carry many more people than the ships tenders thus more get ashore faster though it does take time to load everyone on and off.

If I recall correctly, two are named Henry Hudson and Anne Bonnie..... :)

Thanks for the info s7s :)

Enjoy!

What time do u need to be at front desk in order to catch the first tender ? Tks :)

If the two ship there will be about 4000 passengers but many will decided not to go ashore for various reason but I would try to be on the first tender and enjoy the whole day. We have been there three times and love it. If the crowds bother you rent a cabana and you will have a little privacy.

What time do u need to be at front desk in order to catch the first tender ? Tks :)

If your ship uses the ship's tenders rather than the HMC big tender, you will not get the first tenders unless you are in a suite or a 5* or 4*.

Archived