Am I the only person concerned about free drinks package?

StLucia

This sounds a brilliant perk but while Celebrity arE doing it we will won't be booking our advance package.

We always buy the premium package and really enjoy the freedom it has given us. One of the enjoyment a has been the superb service provided in the bars and restaurants. But can you imagine how crowded the bars will be if everyone is trying to make the most of their 'free' perk. And what about in the MDR, are they going to increase the number of sommeliers to cope with the extra numbers wanting glasses of wine and other beverages.

We love enjoying a nice relaxing mid morning latte, but not sure it will be so relaxing if we have to queue with half the ship's pax.

Just putting these thoughts out there, what do you think?

We noticed on the Solstice in the spring (49 days onboard) that the sommeliers in the main dining room were very short staffed, and it was difficult to get service lots of nights. This was greatly dependant on the one assigned to you I found. On one cruise, our sommelier was there every night, one cruise, we gave up and brought our wine in with us. Bar service in the dining rooms wasn't too bad most of the time, but could be very, very slow at times.

We also noticed this a lunch, with many people ordering several glasses of wine, one with each course. A common comment on that cruise was 'free beverage package! Gotta make the most of it".

As for the latte...there were long lines in the morning, but the rest of the day wasn't too bad.

Once place we noticed a real lack of bar service was in the theatre. Lots of people just brought it in with them.

We have noticed a decrease in the 'quality' to mixed drinks since these packages came out. As a fellow passenger told us on one cruise..."I think they just waved my glass under the gin for my gin & tonic!". A few of my drinks were sent back as being undrinkable, and many were just barely there.

I begin sharing your concern because we noticed that during our July cruise on "Constellation" where lots of passengers had the beverage package ( one of the few times where Europeans were also able to get it for free :() the sommeliers in the MDR were even more rushed than usual and sometimes it was almost impossible to get a seat in Café al Bacio where couples with books and groups of friends occupied the tables sometimes for hours on end on one leisurely consumed cappucino after the other, and the harried waitresses told us that never before had there been such a rush to the Café and they simply didn't have a minute to themselves during their shift because there were so many more people to serve.

On the other hand I must confess that we loved having the beverage package even if we never would have bought it - one glass of wine each at dinner, a soda at lunch and a capuccino in the afternoon were all we needed. But it was nice to have it without having a bill at the end! And to say the truth we were always served promptly and in a friendly way - even if our sommelier almost never wanted to accept that we were happy with one glass of wine for dinner and kept waving the bottle at us or tried to creep up to catch us unaware - he wanted to make us happy quite obviously!

Another way to look at it is that, if it is free, then people won't feel the same need to "get their money’s worth" as they would if they'd paid for it.

The 3-2-1 package was available for the last cruise we were on, but only to the USA (so we paid full whack for it :() and we noticed no difference to the numbers of people at the bars - martini, coffee or pool.

Drinks service was bad in the MDR - but that was down to the lack of training/supervision/general staffing numbers than the number of people getting wine by the glass. Walking though the MDR most people seemed to still be having bottles.

I think a lot comes down to the guests on board, and the guests on board are, to a good extent, governed by the itinerary...

A cruise with predominantly Brits (and probably Aussies ;)) on board may well have an increase in numbers at the bars, but on those with a mainly US clientele I don't think you'll notice a difference. The number of US postings asking if "the package is worth it for us" would seem to back up that our cousins over the pond don't have the same propensity towards such consumption as we do.

All IMHO of course.

We are elite and with the free stuff at happy hour it makes no sense to buy the package. I added up our alcohol expense on a recent 12 day cruise. We spent a little over $300. This is about half what we normally spend on alcohol when not elite.

I certainly noticed it had an impact on Infinity in June but as we were not holders of a package the impact was positive in our direction where the sommelier was concerned. We were buying bottles of wine though and he was most attentive, both in taking our order each evening and in topping our glasses up. I read when I came back others who had the package mentioned the same sommelier as being slow, so maybe he looked after us in preference to package holders.

We did however find it impossible to go into Al Bacio and find a seat to pay for a coffee, it was all occupied by package holders using it as a reading space and having top ups served from time to time.

Martini Bar was actually quieter, those on the packages were not the kind who upgraded their packages therefore Ensemble lounge was mobbed (often with tables with many glasses on them) as cruisers did not realise that smaller martinis covered by the packages can also be made at the Martini Bar. We did not update their knowledge (selfish I know!) we enjoyed the Martini Bar, it was one of the best experiences we have had there for several cruises. If you were an ensemble lounge lover, you might have been a lot less happy though.

So it did make a small difference but it did not spoil our cruise at all and in a way enhanced it if we ignore the drop in coffee fixes we managed to enjoy

I'm going to put a different spin on inclusive drinks packages... the cost of these has to recovered somehow and that comes directly from the base cost of the cruise.

Being non-drinkers (no, not madly religious/mad or bad - we don't enjoy it!) any cruise offered with this package instantly puts off considering it, as we would be paying for something we would not wish to use.

Additionally, although we don't now use P and O, I can't imagine the mayhem on this mainly British line that an inclusive drinks package would unleash! Not usually a concern on Celebrity (we have see very very little drunken behavior)!

Hi, we were on the Constellation's last trip to the Baltics, Aug 24/Sept 05, where many people had the beverage package. Never had any issue with bar service anywhere on the ship. Yes, the Café was a busy place and the big chairs by the windows were hard to get but there are lots of places to sit in that Café area, so never a problem.

On our Reflection cruise two weeks ago I got so fed up with the inattentive service from our wine waiter in the MDR I stopped ordering bottles of wine with our meal. Instead we'd bring a glass of wine in from the Passport bar and I'd get refills between courses.

The Maitre'd noticed this and was most concerned, but I really didn't want the wine waiter to bother me anymore by that point and happily got my own wine.

On our Reflection cruise two weeks ago I got so fed up with the inattentive service from our wine waiter in the MDR I stopped ordering bottles of wine with our meal. Instead we'd bring a glass of wine in from the Passport bar and I'd get refills between courses.

The Maitre'd noticed this and was most concerned, but I really didn't want the wine waiter to bother me anymore by that point and happily got my own wine.

I have felt for more than three years that there are not enough somoliers and that although I see they are trying they are just spred too thin. I wish Celebrity would hire about 10 more for each ship.......

I'm going to put a different spin on inclusive drinks packages... the cost of these has to recovered somehow and that comes directly from the base cost of the cruise.

Being non-drinkers (no, not madly religious/mad or bad - we don't enjoy it!) any cruise offered with this package instantly puts off considering it, as we would be paying for something we would not wish to use.

Additionally, although we don't now use P and O, I can't imagine the mayhem on this mainly British line that an inclusive drinks package would unleash! Not usually a concern on Celebrity (we have see very very little drunken behavior)!

That is not really the case, we booked a cruise last year before the 1,2,3 promo even came out. After the promo came out the cabins were still the exact same price and even dropped 100 before final payment was due.

We rebooked the exact same cabin with the promo at the exact same price.

Sailed on the Summit last June and this June.

Our first time we purchased the premium alcohol package as it was not given as a perk at that time.

The last time we chose the classic package as our perk and upgraded to the premium on embarkation day.

Service was very good on both cruises.

Saw no difference at all because of the "free" drinks.

Had no trouble at all getting anything we wanted at any bar, although in the evening the Martini Bar can get quite crowded, but that's expected.

Poolside service was exceptional too.

Never had an issue in the dining room, our wine glasses were kept full at all times (select dining)

I would never sail without a package, free or otherwise.

That is not really the case, we booked a cruise last year before the 1,2,3 promo even came out. After the promo came out the cabins were still the exact same price and even dropped 100 before final payment was due.

Agree, the balcony cabin we booked WITH the beverage package and $150 OBC is now $350 per cabin MORE without the package.

We have sailed several cruises now with both paid drinks packages and "free" drinks packages. I haven't seen a decline in service in the dining rooms as far as the sommeliers. They've always been good and kept our glasses topped up.

Sometimes it is harder to get a drink if you're sitting around the pool but I think that's due to a cut in the number of crew overall. My opinion....

No problem in cafe baccio for lattes.

This sounds a brilliant perk but while Celebrity arE doing it we will won't be booking our advance package.

We always buy the premium package and really enjoy the freedom it has given us. One of the enjoyment a has been the superb service provided in the bars and restaurants. But can you imagine how crowded the bars will be if everyone is trying to make the most of their 'free' perk. And what about in the MDR, are they going to increase the number of sommeliers to cope with the extra numbers wanting glasses of wine and other beverages.

We love enjoying a nice relaxing mid morning latte, but not sure it will be so relaxing if we have to queue with half the ship's pax.

Just putting these thoughts out there, what do you think?

This doesn't concern me at all...

I'll just wait to be served on...no biggy....;)

Same for us. It probably depends on the demand. I have one cruise where I was able to get several cost reductions with the package and another where the prices have gone up.

We are elite and with the free stuff at happy hour it makes no sense to buy the package. I added up our alcohol expense on a recent 12 day cruise. We spent a little over $300. This is about half what we normally spend on alcohol when not elite.

We are elite also, and it's hard to get the "godd stuff" at the parties.

I couldn't get Crown Royal, or even CC, VO, etc.

For those complaining about the lack of booze in the drinks, the good beers are fool proof, and for liquor--watch him pour it, and if it's not right , have him make it right.

We were thinking there weren't enough sommeliers in the MDR a few years ago, well before the 123GO perks. I'm a little concerned now that we won't get good wine service at dinner, but I suppose Cellar Masters isn't that far a walk.

I remember that previously, we thought we got poor/slow service because we are young and the sommelier thought that we wouldn't be ordering expensive wine. On a couple of cruises first night, we did not even have our wine order taken until after we'd received our entrees. We were able to fix the problem then by ordering something expensive and at that point the sommelier was waiting for us the following night. With the drink package, we can't really do that.

We were on the Eclipse this past April, it seemed like lots of people had the drink package and we had the free one. The sommeliers at diner were definitely busy but it wasn't a big issue. A couple of times we had to wait a bit, but nothing crazy! We had no problem with service anywhere else at all.

Thank you for your interesting comments. The service we have had in the past has been exceptional, our sommelier on Century was particularly good and always had our favourite wine , and some specials waiting for us. I do think they have to many tables to cover though and it takes a really good one to maintain a good service. We don't mind waiting our turn but do enjoy food pairing, the main reason we buy the premium package. We have regularly enjoyed wines not normally offered by the glass.

I still think we will hold on for a while and see how things work out with the 'free' packages during the busy summer season in the med.

Only have had the package twice in the last seven or eight cruises.... other than the first time , which really was THE FIRST TIME it was ever offered on the Summit, everything was fine. And all that was off service wise the very first time it was offered was the confusion on what was covered and what wasn't. :rolleyes:

In fact since there would have been many with the package on the other cruises when we didn't take it we noticed zero difference in service. Some of the most generous pours I've every been served were on the Eclipse new years cruise a few years back.... and I noticed there were a lot of people on the package on that cruise.

Service will be fine I''m sure.

We sailed onboard Infinity in August and had the package as part of the 123 Go offer.

We had no problem with service at any of the bars or in the theatre. Service in the MDR could be a Little slow be we found that it was no worse on previous cruises before the free drinks packages were being offered. We overcame this by getting a glass of wine in Cellar Masters just before we went into the MDR and taking it in with us.

We were actually surprised how few of the other passengers had the drinks package. We met a nice Canadian couple who did not have the package as they had booked through a TA and were not aware of the offer. Other American passengers we spoke with had opted for the OBC instead of the Classic Package as they did not drink much.

We actually saw more people with Elite drinks vouchers than the drinks package.

I have felt for more than three years that there are not enough somoliers and that although I see they are trying they are just spred too thin. I wish Celebrity would hire about 10 more for each ship.......

I came to the same conclusion twice in the last year.

On Solstice this Spring, the Somellier came up to the table on the first evening and we said, "give us five minutes to choose some food, then we'll pick wine to go with it". He never came back. We only bothered with MDR one more time that cruise, the second time he never turned up at all.

Been on 3 cruises recently. On 2 of them I had the "free" drink package and on the last 1 I didn't. Didn't notice any difference in service. It was as fast as normal and as fast as one could expect. It was even better than many bars on land.

Archived