Private Tour Guide Tipping

markandrobert

We are leaving soon on a med cruise and have booked four port tours through a private company. Many of the tours feature an all day driver and a separate guide for the major attractions (such as the Vatican). I know that tipping is highly subjective and based on quality of service. But, does anyone have any guidelines for acceptable tips for the driver and tour guide?

First of all you will be dealing with Euros in Italy and we generally tip 5e each for a half day and 10e each for a full day for the guide. I am never sure if the guide shares tips with the driver so generally just slip a couple of Euros.

Tips are not required....there really are no guidelines. You tip what you feel the experience is worth to you.

On some trips, where the "guide" is simply a driver...then we usually don't tip at all. We've paid to be driven somewhere. If a guide is informative and makes the tour fun and special, then a tip is extended. There really are no rules about this.

I'd say we normally tip 5-10 Euros pp in Europe, depending on length and quality of the tour. Usually we are in a small group and the group decides together how much each will tip. If there is a separate driver, another 2-3 Euros for him.

I am shocked at the small tips listed here. We always tip a percentage of the tour cost, not just 5 or so euros in Italy. Did I misunderstand?

Margee

I agree with Putterdude and you have to be mindful of different tipping customs in different countries. €10 is $13.50 per person. If you have 8 in a van on an 8-hour day, that's a $110 tip.

I agree with your math if you have a shared van. That would be our plan too. I was thinking about a private all-day tour with just 4 people. In that case, a percentage seems more fair. We like lots of personal service and want to go to less crowded places. We like to customize our tours so we don't have "shopping" stops. I agree tipping is a personal thing and does vary by country.

We have always had terrific tour drivers/guides and our tips may be generous, but we feel they are well worth it for us.

Margee

€5 is about the usual amount for a guide, but I would give €10 to be shared between the 2 persons.

They will be being paid a living wage by law, so tipping isn't a big issue in Europe.

I agree. Americans tend to think in terms of tipping in America. The tipping culture is very different in Europe. (Yet you won't convince some Americans that they are not being cheap by not offering a big tip.)

One thing I always find interesting about these "tipping the guide" threads is that I usually get off the bus or van first to get DW's wheelchair set up and am always shocked to see how few people actually tip be it in Europe, North America or the Caribbean....and often with those who do it is just a couple of dollars.

Archived