Advice re once in a lifetime Alaskan cruise

Pushka

We flew to Fairbanks, made our way by bus and train down to Denali and Mt. McKinley Lodges, then boarded the Coral in Anchorage, then southbound to Vancouver. If it's your one and only trip to Alaska, as it likely was for us, I HIGHLY recommend adding a land tour before or after. The mountains, the scenery, the rafting, the sunshine til 11:00 at night, the helicopter flight, the glaciers, the ship! Caribe balcony. All simply PERFECT!

:D

ps....see my pretty towel image? on the Coral!!

Edited by MaChere

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on the land tour. I would spend it on excursions from the ship. The land tour that I did was informative but it was NOT relaxing. It was bags in the hall by 5AM, breakfast at 7 be on the bus by 8- stay with the group all day and have very little freedom. I didn't care for the land tour and have been back to Alaska five more times since then and love the cruise experience through Alaska. That's just me. I don't like a micromanaged vacation and the land tour is. If anything I would recommend doing a back to back cruise combining a Northbound and Southbound trip.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We were in Dolphin aft mini-suites (D-7XX series) that have a fully covered balcony (great if you run into rain). Being at the very rear of the ship they are very quiet and have the added bonus of having a public viewing area (which most of the public doesn't know about :D) on the aft.

Which decks on the Coral/Island have the aft public viewing area?

Thanks,

There actually is quite a difference between port and starboard and port is far superior on a Northbound sailing if you plan to view scenery and take photos from your balcony. When sailing north, the sun will be rising from the east, which is the starboard side. Most of the time you will have mountains off to that side and the height of the mountains will cause the starboard scenery to be cast in shade. But the morning sun will bathe the port side in flattering morning light which will make a big difference in your photos. Then, as the sun peeks over the starboard mountains, you will be staring into it if you are on the starboard side making photography difficult. Later in the day, as you sail out of the ports, being on the port side will give you sunset views, light and warmth...something that cannot be overlooked in AK. In Glacier Bay, port is far, far superior. Yes, going up on deck is great. But you will be in Glacier Bay very early in the day, (like 6:00 a.m.) If you aren't ready to make a public appearance at that hour but still want to take in the scenery, you absolutely want a port side cabin. As far as the better side whilst in the ports, that is a toss-up unless you know for certain which dock you will berth in.

Here is my full review with photos and some commentary about which side presented the better photo ops.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1903541

To the OP

I second JimmyVWine's recommendation. I love the port side balconies going into GB. The naturalist told me on one cruise to head to a quiet place and listen to the glacier. You will hear the cracking long before the calving. I got some marvelous photos. The other thing about port side - you can listen to the naturalist on the PA system and see what he/she is talking about as it is happening.

And on my last cruise in 2013 I was surprised that the captain spent a lot of time with port side facing Marjorie Glacier but as he turned he started to leave the area. I felt for anyone on starboard who was on a balcony waiting. They did not have as much time for listening, watching and photography as we did on port.

I am not familiar with the Coral, but it appears Caribe deck balconies are larger as on the Grand class ships. They are partially covered, which is nice. My favorite balcony cabins!!

Warning: Alaska will get under your skin. You may find what you think is your one and only trip to Alaska will be the first of several even though you have a long way to travel!!!

Enjoy. It is a great adventure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would choose an itinerary that has a late stay in Skagway. We took the ship's excursion called "Evening Wildlife Excursion" in Haines. They took us to Haines on a Ferry and then we got on school type buses and saw tons of eagles and otters as well as 5 or 6 large brown bears who were very efficiently salmon fishing. Wonderful!

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on the land tour. I would spend it on excursions from the ship. The land tour that I did was informative but it was NOT relaxing.

On the other hand we loved our land tour with Princess.

You can see our report at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727858

OP here. As we live in Australia this really will be a once off cruise. I know I'll love it but it's a bit of a trek to get up to Canada although plenty of visits to USA planned.

Just waiting for 2015 to be released. Pretty much sticking with Coral, north bound cruise with Glacier Bay, selecting a Port side almost aft balcony on a good deck (can't remember which one right now). And have two coffee cards from a recent trip already. :p

OP here. As we live in Australia this really will be a once off cruise. I know I'll love it but it's a bit of a trek to get up to Canada although plenty of visits to USA planned.

Just waiting for 2015 to be released. Pretty much sticking with Coral, north bound cruise with Glacier Bay, selecting a Port side almost aft balcony on a good deck (can't remember which one right now). And have two coffee cards from a recent trip already. :p

Pushes

Sounds like you are ready to go with those 2 coffee cards!!

There are a lot of great excursions in each port depending upon your interests, budget and if you are a do-it-yourselfer, cruise-line only excursion believer, or all private tours type of traveler!!! So much on the ports board. Perhaps you have already started searching these. But whatever you do , you will love Alaska, the Last Frontier!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 months later...

Well, I have heeded the advice here and have now booked a B2B on Coral Princess -

Vancouver - Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park (scenic Cruising), College Fjord, Anchorage

Then Anchorage, Hubbard Glacier, (scenic Cruising) Glacier Bay National Park,

Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan Vancouver

In July 2015; Aft MiniSuite - D 726

It seems doing it this way offers the best of both "must do's" - Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Lots of time to save up for this trip of a lifetime.

And will do a land/rail rockies tour first. Heaven!

Now to research the ports - twice to three of them. :)

Well, I have heeded the advice here and have now booked a B2B on Coral Princess -

Vancouver - Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay National Park (scenic Cruising), College Fjord, Anchorage

Then Anchorage, Hubbard Glacier, (scenic Cruising) Glacier Bay National Park,

Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan Vancouver

In July 2015; Aft MiniSuite - D 726

It seems doing it this way offers the best of both "must do's" - Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Lots of time to save up for this trip of a lifetime.

And will do a land/rail rockies tour first. Heaven!

Now to research the ports - twice to three of them. :)

You will have a wonderful time! You've reserved a great cabin too.

While you're doing your research (check out the Alaska board here on cruise critic) here are some of the best excursions we've done:

• Ketchikan - on our first cruise we took a Princess excursions on a float plane to the Misty Fjords, landed on the water and transferred to a boat for the ride back to Ketchikan. I was more than a little nervous but it was so beautiful I would do it again.
  • Juneau - Harv and Marv's whale watching which also drops you off at Mendenhall Glacier
  • Skagway - Chilkoot Charters trip on the White Pass Railroad up to Fraser, transfer to a small van to go to Emerald Lake and then back to Skagway in a the van.
  • Vancouver - a beautiful city with lots and lots to do. Start with the HOHO bus and make sure you visit Stanley Park and Gastown. Check out the Canada board too for additional info on Vancouver.

Edited by capriccio

While it sounds like a great trip, is there a way to extend it to include time in the Alaskan interior? Perhaps instead of doing back-to-back cruises on the same ship, switching ships so that you have a few days between your northbound and your southbound cruises. I think it would be sad to go all the way to Alaska for a once in a lifetime trip and not see Denali National Park.

You will have a wonderful time! You've reserved a great cabin too.

While you're doing your research (check out the Alaska board here on cruise critic) here are some of the best excursions we've done:

• Ketchikan - on our first cruise we took a Princess excursions on a float plane to the Misty Fjords, landed on the water and transferred to a boat for the ride back to Ketchikan. I was more than a little nervous but it was so beautiful I would do it again.
  • Juneau - Harv and Marv's whale watching which also drops you off at Mendenhall Glacier
  • Skagway - Chilkoot Charters trip on the White Pass Railroad up to Fraser, transfer to a small van to go to Emerald Lake and then back to Skagway in a the van.
  • Vancouver - a beautiful city with lots and lots to do. Start with the HOHO bus and make sure you visit Stanley Park and Gastown. Check out the Canada board too for additional info on Vancouver.

Yes, the White Pass Railroad is an absolute must! Sit on the side of the train that faces downhill (most likely the left side) for the best views. Only do the trip one way - too boring to do it round trip.

The single most important tip for visiting Alaska is to take binoculars! And spend lots of time sitting on your balcony. You'll be amazed by how much sea life you'll see.

If this is to be your only Alaska cruise, and you do not plan to do a land tour, I suggest you book a back to back on Coral.

Second that!

The savings in airfare could go a long way to pay for the cruise fare.

This is a great cruising itinerary because it gives you two shots at most places -- so unless the weather gods really hate you, you should be able to see them at least one of the trips!

For Ketchikan, I recommend booking the Misty Isles flight seeing trip with Island Wings. Michelle (pilot and owner) is a delight, and when you land she taxis up to the shore so you can get out and admire the scenery from many angles. She'll also take your picture with the plane as a backdrop.

http://www.islandwings.com/misty-fjords-glaciers-flightseeing-tours

In Juneau there's a place called Glacier Gardens that you can do DIY. It is quite unusual, with upside down tree trunks serving as huge flower pots. [being from the upside down part of the globe, this should appeal ;););)]

http://www.glaciergardens.com/tours.htm

Skagway: I agree with the post above about Chilkoot Charters train/van tour to Emerald Lake.

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/carcross.htm

Whittier: on the turnaround day, don't kill yourself trying to get to Anchorage and back. But there is nothing to do in Whittier itself. So put the cherry on top of your glacier viewing experiences by taking a Major Marine Prince William Sound tour. Their small boats can get much closer to the glacier faces than a cruise ship. If you didn't get much calving at Glacier Bay on the way up, you might like their Blackstone Glacier Tour which spends a lot of time a one glacier that calves a lot. If you want to focus on wildlife, take their Surprise Glacier tour. Both have a great lunch on board and get you back to the ship in plenty of time.

https://www.majormarine.com/pws/?_sid=b0ca4637606d21906fd8d2d93bce0d19

Also, as soon as you board Coral Princess go to the service desk and sign up for the Ultimate Ship Tour, and then go to your cabin and call the dine line for the Chef's Table dinner. Both tend to sell out, so if you want them you must book early. [Lucky you, you get two tries in case something goes wrong on the first leg!]

This will be a great trip! Enjoy Alaska!

Pushka,

Since you now have two shots at each port - brilliant decision - we are doing another b2b this summer in Alaska and you will love the Coral - I have some additional recommendations for tours.

In Ketchikan Princess offers a flightseeing tour to George Inlet with a Dungeness crab feast and bus ride back to Ketchikan. We loved it, my parents loved it, the kids loved it, and the Dungeness crabs are about as fresh as could be and out of this world. Please put that on the list for serious consideration. Misty Fjords is great too - both of these could be impacted by bad weather so on either of those days do some research into things that are not as weather dependent that you could do as a quick pick up tour.

Also in Ketchikan, if you an work it into the schedule, is the Lumberjack show. It is about an hour long - we thought maybe the 19 year olds would not appreciate it, but our toughest critic laughed and loved it! It is amusing and interesting.

Juneau - do not book the Mt. Roberts tramway ahead of time. If you can work it into the plans on a day with clear skies, it is totally worth your time, and views are great. If it is overcast, foggy, rainy, etc., well, perhaps just pass on that. The thing is, if you have enough time in port and the weather is good, you can just work that in before or after other tours, it stay light very late into the evening so you have time. Whale watching in Auke Bay is about a must in Juneau, and of course, a look at the Mendenhall Glacier.

Skagway - yes, into the Yukon on the White Pass, and also the fast ferry over to Haines for a wilderness expedition whether is in the Eagle Reserve for an air boat tour, or a horseback ride, or some of the other available options. On one of the two days, go over to Haines.

If this really is the one and only you might want to go for broke with the helicopter tours of glaciers, dogsledding on glaciers....be prepared to make a quick substitution in case the weather does not cooperate.

And I agree, no reason to go to Anchorage, take a tour to glacier watch out of Whittier. We have done this and it is a wonderful morning and early afternoon activity.

Enjoy, enjoy!

P. S. Oh, if you sign up for Chef's Table, ask for a night when you are not in port at all or have a departure at 5 or earlier. Do not limit your time ashore in Alaska for chef's table - betting there are more Princess cruises in your future, but you have said one time for Alaska.

Edited by ggprincess2004

Yes, the White Pass Railroad is an absolute must! Sit on the side of the train that faces downhill (most likely the left side) for the best views. Only do the trip one way - too boring to do it round trip.

Would that be the left side as you are facing the train engine? or the caboose?

Thanks!

Sue

Would that be the left side as you are facing the train engine? or the caboose?

Thanks!

Sue

Left side facing the engine when heading from Skagway up through the Pass. Being in the last car - which was reserved for Chilkoot on our trip - is the best because there is a viewing platform at the back and you can look back down the mountain.

While it sounds like a great trip, is there a way to extend it to include time in the Alaskan interior? Perhaps instead of doing back-to-back cruises on the same ship, switching ships so that you have a few days between your northbound and your southbound cruises. I think it would be sad to go all the way to Alaska for a once in a lifetime trip and not see Denali National Park.

That's a possibility I think. I haven't paid deposits (non refundable in Australia) so will look into that today. Would a week be enough? Can't do more than that. Given we are doing a Rockies trip before the first cruise from Vancouver. :p

That's a possibility I think. I haven't paid deposits (non refundable in Australia) so will look into that today. Would a week be enough? Can't do more than that. Given we are doing a Rockies trip before the first cruise from Vancouver. :p

A week would be perfect. You have lots and lots of options. Probably better advice on the Alaska forum than here.

Rent a car from Enterprise in Anchorage, and you can go wherever you want, stay wherever you want, eat wherever you want -- much better than a package tour. [Just remember to drive on the right side of the road!]

Make sure you spend 2 nights at Denali, and take the bus (National Park shuttle bus is fine and much cheaper) as far into the park as you can (at least Eielson Visitor Center). The park also has a Sled Dog kennel with a free show [you don't get to ride, but it's free...]

A night or two in Talkeetna is also worthwhile. It's the best place to do flight seeing to Denali (we were very happy with TAT's Grand Denali flight [early bookings get free glacier landing add-on!]

http://www.talkeetnaair.com/flightseeing/grand-denali

Talkeetna is also a funky, fun town, with the National Park visitor center where anyone planning to climb Denali has to check in -- great exhibits and movies.

With more time you can also consider the Seward area, or Fairbanks. Then droop the car off in Anchorage the day before your second cruise, stay overnight, and take the train back to Whittier. There will still be time that day for a Prince William Sound cruise.

That would truly be the Alaska trip of a lifetime!

Some fabulous advice here - thankyou to everyone! It is much appreciated as there is SO much to see and I want to get it as right as possible. :D

Come on back with more questions as you move forward in your planning. Pushka, I spent years "interviewing" experienced cruisers about their Alaska experiences before we booked our very first Alaska cruise trip. At that point we didn't know if it would be our once in a lifetime or we would have a chance to do it again (and again and again as it has turned out).

I know as you start looking at the options in the ports, there will be questions that will come up. And when we talk about having a back up plan in case of weather that grounds planes, so as not to "waste" a day in port, you will want to be aware of the independent tour operators and their reputations. Some you should be able to walk off the ship and find dockside just waiting for last minute opportunities to provide a tour.

Enjoy all the planning - it is a great part of the fun!