Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

RCL should give us some money back for the short port days ....

You don't get money back, (apart from port fees) when a port is missed, so why would you expect money back for a shortened day ashore. Your cruise is still the same length, it starts at boarding time on a Sunday and ends at debarkation time the next Sunday.

RCL knows they have a problem ' date=' and the ship is going out with shorter port days , How would you feel if that was your cruise ???[/quote']

I would plan my day accordingly. Allure is one of the three cruises I am looking at for January, a shorter day in port will not be a deciding factor in our choice at all.

Looking at the recent post about the cancelled cruise, I was right about the bearing wear! If you remember, I was the first to post that it was in fact bearings that were the issue!

Now, maybe when I state a fact, people will realize that I know what I am talking about!

just a little ego showing...WOW

They should give us money back .....

Yeah, I agree with the others--I don't see why they should give us money back. They are still providing the cruise and we're still making the port so the port fees are the same.

Prior to the announcement, I just wanted to "know" if I should expect the shortened day in St. Thomas so I could appropriately plan my excursion choices. They have done that now so I'm good. If we get extra time, that's great. Of course, that's not to say something specific could come up on my sailing that causes a missed port or additional reduced time, but that wouldn't be a known deviation to schedule ahead of time.

Has anyone read CC's article about this? Not quite sure why these reports keep stating that the the Allure and Oasis are switching dry docks. Oasis was never scheduled to have work done in Feb to my knowledge and most certainly not in the Bahamas.

Has anyone seen anything regarding them switching in sept/oct?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5616

The first paragraph in thst article is wrong.

I have never gotten any money back for a shorten port day, have you?

I am booked on the quantum in feb 2015 and they removed the Samana, Dominican Republic stop entirely. I called to inquire about a refund of port taxes since we won't even be stopping there (yes I know this was a long shot, but it didn't hurt to ask) and were paying for a port that is now an additional sea day. They wouldn't even do that so I highly doubt they will refund anything for losing only one hour off the port.

I am booked on the quantum in feb 2015 and they removed the Samana, Dominican Republic stop entirely. I called to inquire about a refund of port taxes since we won't even be stopping there (yes I know this was a long shot, but it didn't hurt to ask) and were paying for a port that is now an additional sea day. They wouldn't even do that so I highly doubt they will refund anything for losing only one hour off the port.

In most cases they will refund the port fees as an OBC while you are on the ship. I missed a port stop last year and they refunded everybody's port fees for the missed port.

Looking at the recent post about the cancelled cruise, I was right about the bearing wear! If you remember, I was the first to post that it was in fact bearings that were the issue!

Now, maybe when I state a fact, people will realize that I know what I am talking about!

Yes, October 27th, 9:21 PM

Page #2

From a pretty reliable source on the allure last week and confirmed by someone else, the issue is related to the bearings in the azipod, not the prop. So the ship would have to be dry docked in order to fix it. The azipod works and can deliver full power, but the issue is if or when the bearings will fail resulting in a complete loss of the center pod.

But we shall see...

RCL knows they have a problem ' date=' and the ship is going out with shorter port days , How would you feel if that was your cruise ???[/quote']

I'd adjust my plans and not give it much thought. Actually, I HAVE done that when port times changed, and when ports themselves changed (I don't think anyone was demanding money when several summer sailings switched from Livorno to La Spezia as a port, for example. I know I never thought of such a thing, Why would I?).

Fact? Or just a lucky guess? :D

I hope this was an error...

They state for the revised itinerary for Eastern:

St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m

I thought they have been there 11:00-11:30 and all aboard at 6:30, leaving at 7:00. There hasn't been an issue getting into St. Martin on time. I'm not sure why they would move it up to 5:00 (or 4:30 all aboard).

The press release states the following:

Allure of the Seas will now call on Nassau, Bahamas, from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is no need to modify Allure of the Seas' western Caribbean itineraries."

My original itinerary showed St. Thomas from 10:00am-7:00pm, but does show 11:00-7:00 now.

I thought the recent cruises were showing up later than normal and leaving about 30 minutes early? I think I'm doing a good job of confusing myself. LOL. The extra few hours won't make a difference. I'm just wondering why they say 5:00 now?

I checked out the excursions specifically for our 02 FEB 2014 Allure cruise via "My Cruises" - the port times for Nassau have been adjusted for 1:00PM departure and the arrival times in St thomas have been adjusted to 11:00AM (both as expected) but the departure time for St Thomas continues to show 7:00PM????

I'm wondering if Royal wil soon (1) change excursion times to fit the new port times or (2) cancel those that don't fit and notify cruisers, or (3) wait until the night before port and notify cruisers.

ken

Edited by Ken076

I checked out the excursions specifically for our 02 FEB 2014 Allure cruise via "My Cruises" - the port times for Nassau have been adjusted for 1:00PM departure and the arrival times in St thomas have been adjusted to 11:00AM (both as expected) but the departure time for St Thomas continues to show 7:00PM???? ken

Ken,

I'm on the next eastern cruise (11/24) so I called RC today and asked about the mention of 5pm for the St. Thomas departure time in that press release. I was told that it will be 7pm, not 5pm, so I hope that holds true.

Read your cruise contract. You are still getting a 7 day cruise. At the cruise lines discretion port calls can be modified or cancelled without notice.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ken,

I'm on the next eastern cruise (11/24) so I called RC today and asked about the mention of 5pm for the St. Thomas departure time in that press release. I was told that it will be 7pm, not 5pm, so I hope that holds true.

Thanks! That's my guess and hoping to confirm by the departure times of the next several Allure Eastern cruises.

ken

Wow, we had a B2B booked for Jan 19 & 26, 2014.....Dodged the bullet but it has been awfully tense in the last week. Missing some time in ports doesn't phase me a bit. As far as I am concerned, been there, done that. I am going for the ship and I have no problem spending more time on it. Kudos to RCCL for getting the repairs done asap, I am sure it isn't as easy as some posters have suggested.

I do feel sorry for the cruisers who were booked on the Feb. 23 cruise and wish them all the best. You never want to see that happen to anyone.

Cheers everyone...

Wow, we had a B2B booked for Jan 19 & 26, 2014.....Dodged the bullet but it has been awfully tense in the last week. Missing some time in ports doesn't phase me a bit. As far as I am concerned, been there, done that. I am going for the ship and I have no problem spending more time on it. Kudos to RCCL for getting the repairs done asap, I am sure it isn't as easy as some posters have suggested.

I do feel sorry for the cruisers who were booked on the Feb. 23 cruise and wish them all the best. You never want to see that happen to anyone.

Cheers everyone...

Zantac, a lot of us are on the 19th of January. Come on over and join our page.

Read your cruise contract. You are still getting a 7 day cruise. At the cruise lines discretion port calls can be modified or cancelled without notice.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That happened to my DH and I on a Carnival Cruise that was scheduled to sail from NY to the Bahamas a few years ago. The ports were changed to Bermuda only. A young couple had a wedding party and was to be married in Nassau They were not happy to say the least! Many other guest were also complaining. They gave all a credit, that could be used towards another cruise.

When I called my RC Vacation Planner last week to inquire about the propulsion issue, they said the problem was rectified and low and behold my cruise fare had dropped and they honoured the new fare, $200 off the cabin. I'm doing the Western Itinerary on March 23 too, so the issue doesn't in any way affect me. If it's at least 75 days prior to departure and you haven't paid in full and if the fare drops they will honour it. Maybe they have done something similar for those passengers it affects.