Silver Box Gone

canyonman

Just received my box that I thought was going to be silver. Instead I received a standard white shipping box with there seal on it. My first impression was that Silversea was protecting there silver boxes since the majority of my was damage in the past. What a big disappointment :cool:

Just received my box that I thought was going to be silver. Instead I received a standard white shipping box with there seal on it. My first impression was that Silversea was protecting there silver boxes since the majority of my was damage in the past. What a big disappointment :cool:

:eek::eek::eek: No silver box anymore?...that is disappointing. When I got my docs for my recent Crystal cruise, my immediate reaction was "not as nice as the SS silver box". Bummer, I really liked that silver box.

Cheers

Jennifer

As a frequent SS guest, I find the silver box and its contents to be unnecessary and wasteful. I can understand that a new guest might like the presentation with the document holder, etc. However, I have a pile of these document holders, etc., and I can't give them away. :) I would be pleased to download and print the documents, with the savings going to better food or the Crew Welfare Fund. The one challenging item would be the sticky luggage tags. But those could be sent in a first class envelop at much lower cost than the entire box.

As a frequent SS guest, I find the silver box and its contents to be unnecessary and wasteful. I can understand that a new guest might like the presentation with the document holder, etc. However, I have a pile of these document holders, etc., and I can't give them away. :) I would be pleased to download and print the documents, with the savings going to better food or the Crew Welfare Fund. The one challenging item would be the sticky luggage tags. But those could be sent in a first class envelop at much lower cost than the entire box.

I totally agree. We just received two silver boxes, two ticket wallets and four luggage tags. We will just add them to the collection.

Never having yet received even my first silver box....some here have said that their TAs have ditched the box and sent the cocuments along. Perhaps in this case it is not a SS decision?

As far as sticky labels- to identify cabins? Just as easy to print out a form, fold and stable or tape over the handle of your cases. As many as you need.

But I am looking forward to my silver box. Silly though they may be. I still have some of the documents from 1951 when I sailed to and from Southhampton with my mother. Priceless. Useless, but priceless.

Edited by 5waldos

My parents in law sail in a few weeks and today received their silver box. It's another to add to their collection, but it seems that the silver box is alive and well in their part of the world.

I just received conformation from our TA that SS is no longer sending Silver box's in the US. For the one who have received one congratulations and the others I get it. Just disappointed since it brought good thoughts :D

I for one will be so pleased if Silversea dispense with this needless item - for years I have asked our TA not to send the Docs in it as it will not fit through our Letterbox. If we are out when the Post arrives I have to travel 16 miles Roundtrip to collect a Box which having emptied it, I throw away. In this age of cost cutting to withdraw this item makes more sense than seeking cost cutting measures on board.

Boo! We are going on our first SS cruise in April and I want the silver box! Maybe they should just send it to first time ss cruisers :)

(I probably would not want more than one) but ONE would be nice!!!

You do know that there's an obligatory 'Silver Box Dance' that you're expected to perform when the first one arrives? They don't allow you into the Venetian Society unless you've done it :D

Seriously, it is a nice touch when you receive one for the first time, perhaps you'll be lucky.

I just received conformation from our TA that SS is no longer sending Silver box's in the US. For the one who have received one congratulations and the others I get it. Just disappointed since it brought good thoughts :D

My PIL's are in France, so perhaps SS are still using up the last of the stock of boxes on this side of the pond.

I do agree about the good thoughts the box brings :D

You do know that there's an obligatory 'Silver Box Dance' that you're expected to perform when the first one arrives? They don't allow you into the Venetian Society unless you've done it :D

Seriously, it is a nice touch when you receive one for the first time, perhaps you'll be lucky.

And prior cruisers are expected, of course, to demonstate the dance to us newbies- what ever would happen if we gotit wrong! Tradition and all. We will be in touch so you can either do a live stream or just post on utube for us. So very kind of you to offer. ;)