Spirit Rome-Barcelona 2 Nov

dougburns

Just starting the thread now to save time once aboard. We leave for Rome and the Rome Cavelieri( Waldorf Astoria ) at 0 dark thirty in the morning. I don't use laptops or I-pads, so will be out of touch until we board on the 2nd. It's finally here! Didn't cruise last year due to another hip replacement, so I'm ready, as is Miss Lynn.

Fair Winds & Following Seas for your Rome to Barcelona segment Doug. Also, safe travels to the Cavalieri, we look fwd to seeing Lynn and your smiling faces in about two weeks+ in Funchal.

Have a wonderful time at the Rome Cavalieri. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend dinner at La Pergola inside the hotel. What a menu! And, the wine cellar has over 50,000 bottles. It has to be one of the world's finest dining experiences. I'll never forget our table, where the Dome of St Peter's Basilica seemed close enough to touch.

Here I sit at 0330 waiting for Miss Lynn to get polished and for the limo. We're having dinner at La Pergola tomorrow evening, but I'm not much for wine; just the food. See you all in Rome or Barcelona. What a great cruise this is going to be. Miss Lynn will get quite a surprise when she arrives at the stateroom. She still doesn't know that we're in a Grand suite again.

Have a wonderful time at the Rome Cavalieri. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend dinner at La Pergola inside the hotel. What a menu! And, the wine cellar has over 50,000 bottles. It has to be one of the world's finest dining experiences. I'll never forget our table, where the Dome of St Peter's Basilica seemed close enough to touch.

Stumblefoot with you on that! We too had that view, and I'll never forget my first taste of the pasta course -- angel hair in a light lemon sauce! Divine!

Stumblefoot with you on that! We too had that view, and I'll never forget my first taste of the pasta course -- angel hair in a light lemon sauce! Divine!
Thanks for sharing! My mouth started watering just thinking about the delicately dressed delicate pasta you had.

Another glorious Silver Spirit cruise! After 2 nights at the Rome Cavelieri, which was very nice, but very expensive, we headed to Civitavecchia via Romecabs( @ 1 hour ). Got right aboard( just before noon ) and our suite was ready 15 minutes later, since the suite was unoccupied the segment before. Our butler, Karthik, is not aboard, because he got promoted again from head butler to butler manager and they moved him to the Wind. I already posted the main ship's officers, but a few more are Gustavo( le Champagne maitre'd), Norbert(Bar Manager), Royden(butler manager), Suzanne( head housekeeper), Donato(La Terrazza maitre'd), Fabrizio( Staff Captain). Paolo arranged everything beautifully for our get together for cocktails in the Panorama Lounge and dinner for all of us together(12) in La Terrazza. It was great and everyone had a wonderful time! We all had the duck ragu in honor of Col Wes and David Kennedy had his usual private bottle of wine, which he finished. After that wonderful dinner the Kents and the Tisaranni's headed to bed, because they were either jet lagged or had an early tour today in Livorno. The rest of us headed for Panorama for drinks and dancing, and yes, I can still dance, just not as long. Finally quit around midnight. It was supposed to be raining here in Livorno today, but so far it's only partly cloudy and very pleasant. Miss Lynn says the weather gods would never rain on a Burns cruise. Some things aboard have changed a bit, but nothing of any consequence. They don't have any caffeine free diet coke, but they are going to get some. I am still checking on the Monte Cristo #2 Habanas for you, Dieter. More later! Have a great day all!

Edited by dougburns

Sounds like a wonderful start!

Glad to hear about Karthik's promotion--he is fantastic.

When you have a chance, we would be curious to know who the Captain is (Sangiacomo?), CD, and Head Sommelier are, and if Gareth is at the pool bar.

Hope you are enjoying the fabulous grand suite and have a amazing cruise.

:)

Wine tasting

On this and the next cruise, I am surrounded by wine aficionados such as Colonel (ret) West. I, on the other hand, am a "Wino"! They sip and discuss the elements of each "prime" wine and its price. I I drink the free "plonk". They are interested in all the things they can taste, my wine washes down my food.

Todays plonk is a 2010 Shiraz "Billi Billi", from the Mount Lange Ghiran vineyard in Victoria Australia. According to the label this wine is named after a creek that runs through the property, and shows all the hallmarks of its big brother the Langi Shiraz with unmistakable elegance and spice. (really?)

Didn't impress anyone by smelling the "cork" cap which unscrews!

All I can say is it is red, has 13.5% alcohol, and I like it.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful start to Lynn and your Spirit voyage and for David's enthusiastic Spirit wine post--we also enjoy Billi Billi (hope David leaves some for us). Great to hear about Karthik's promotion--well deserved. Thanks for sharing y'alls gustatory enjoyment of the delicious LT's Duck Ragout Pappardelle. We look forward to seeing y'alls smiling faces on board the Spirit soon (12 days). Warm regards sent to Eugene and Lucille, Steve & Barb, David the "Wino :)" and the other CCrs on board (Jman2013, travelbunnyvic, kboy).

We look forward to seeing Donato in La Terraza again. Doug, is Marcello singing and serving in LT for this voyage? Also, is Ismael on board (another outstanding LT server)?. If u have time, pls pass our kind regards along to Paolo & Donato (if on board Marcello & Ismael). Ida is asking if the outstanding DJ Phraim is the Panorama Lounge DJ at nite--Ida enjoyed his enthusiastic disc playing on our Spring Spirit crossing.

The glowing reports are wonderful to read . Now just have to make time for the dreaded packing.

Wish I had the foresight to begin months before which would make this last minute countdown more fun.

See you all in less than a week, looking forward to putting the nom de plume with the nom de guerre, and of course the visage.

Enjoy every moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

A bunch of firsts for us on SS! First, we didn't leave Livorno last evening due to wind and swell. Don't understand that since the Crystal Serenity left OK, as did the car carriers. So, we're on our way to Monaco this morning and expect to arrive early evening. Didn't understand that either, but I do now. The owner and a bunch of the corporate folks are coming aboard in Monaco. The Captain(Pontillo) just said we may not be able to get into Marseille tomorrow due to high winds. That would scrub our private tour to Aix and Cassis. What a mess! We lost our pier slot for Monaco and will have to anchor. I have my doubts as to tender ops there. Anyway, it is what it is. Wes, our singing waiter(Marcelo) is not aboard, but Donato is in La Terrazza. Ate at le Champagne last night and we rather like the new system where you have 4 cold appetizer, 4 hot appetizer, 4 soup, 4 entree choices and the menus don't change. Gustavo is handling le Champagne and it was good to see him. Meal was great and the restaurant was full. Most folks went to the show after dinner( a very good jazz guitarist ), but Miss Lynn and I headed for Panorama and dancing. The piano player/singer there is excellent and plays great dance music. At 2300 the disco started and my lovely bride went crazy. by 0100 she had everyone in the place, which was packed, on the dance floor. Ida would have been proud of Miss Lynn. Guess I'll have to get my zoo keeper hat on again this cruise. Right now the ride is a bit rough and it's overcast, but nothing the Spirit can't handle. More later! Have a great day all!

Thanks for another robust Spirit on board posting Doug. Sad face (considering the delay context u provided Doug) to hear about disembarking Livorno for Monaco on time. Do hope Scooter64/Silver Fox (pls see his thread/post below--he writes he is boarding the Spirit in Monaco and going to Ft. Lauderdale) is able to join the Spirit in Monaco. Thanks for checking on whether Marcelo is on board the Spirit with you; is DJ PHraim spinning discs at 2300 in the Panorama lounge disco? Please continue to enjoy and as Maria posts above, pls also pass our warm regards along to Lynn and fellow CCrs/friends.

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Doug

Hope the weather improves and you get to aix and cassis. Pontillo was our capt on June 2012 cruise and he had his lovely wife and little children aboard. Enjoyed talking with his wife who is American, kids were well behaved and doted upon by the staff .

Sounds as if all except the wind and sea is good!

Thanks for the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Plonk of the day.

Today's free red is an Italian Monti Garbi 2009. Valpolicella Superiore, made from 70% Corvina grapes,20% Rondinella, 5% Croatina and 5%Oseleta.( Who cares?) All other information is in Italian! (Oh yes, Alcohol content is14%). Has Legs! At least it is corked!

Today the executive chef Silvia showed how to sear scallops and canon of lamb.

Some good tips including drop a clove of garlic and cut shallot into your cooking oil bottle. Adds a distinct flavor to all cooking.